Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I haven't seen Miller's Crossing and I will remedy that but I'm fairly confident that it isn't a better movie than Goodfellas. 

It's a conclusion I came to slowly, after several watchings of both. Goodfellas has a 95% approval on Rotten Tomatoes, Miller's Crossing 93%, but Miller's Crossing is better. 

After Big Lebowski it's my 2nd favorite Coen Brothers movie.

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

It's a conclusion I came to slowly, after several watchings of both. Goodfellas has a 95% approval on Rotten Tomatoes, Miller's Crossing 93%, but Miller's Crossing is better. 

After Big Lebowski it's my 2nd favorite Coen Brothers movie.

Yeah I'll give it a watch. The only reason I have a hard time believing it's better is that Goodfellas is like a top 10 movie ever for me. I like it more than The Godfather.

• Like 1

Also think it's important that 1 movie may be objectively "better or higher quality" than other and still not be something I want to watch over and over again.  I personally consider that the hallmark of a what it takes to be a good movie for me.  But I can say one movie is "better" but I'd rather watch something else.

On 2/22/2024 at 9:36 AM, ztejas said:

Yeah I'll give it a watch. The only reason I have a hard time believing it's better is that Goodfellas is like a top 10 movie ever for me. I like it more than The Godfather.

The dialogue in Miller’s Crossing is unbelievable. You will not catch everything the first time you watch it.  Virtually impossible.

On 2/20/2024 at 2:46 PM, deadshank said:

Perhaps we need to define how "important" is used as a descriptor.  Certainly the word can be used within the realm of music, its development, originality, so on and so forth. The same can apply to individual songwriters and musicians.  All within the framework of music.  Innovators, virtuosos, classics, etc.  Sure.  There are surely important people, songs and compositions.  

Using "important" as a descriptor when referring to any particular music or musical piece itself or to the musician / composer / singer as if its importance is somehow world-affecting on the macro level seems aggrandizing and silly to me.

I recall a few years ago that Guns and Roses had a new album or a tour that was kicking off and the promotional spot on TV delicately mentioned that it was "the most important" such and such of the last so many years.  Important?  Really?  What makes those meatheads and their music so important?   We're talking GnR here.  Sure, you can really dig them, rock out to them and enjoy them.  Important?  Hardly.  

Similarly, Brandi Carlile released The Joke and someone on Surly decreed the song to be "so important!"  Certainly they can like the song.  I agree it is thoughtful, well sung and arranged.  Important?  For someone?  Sure.  Just important because,  "well it's important!"  Nah.

It's just my opinion.  I'm not looking to fight over it.  You asked.

OK....let's fight.

Guns N Roses were fucking lame and their music sucks

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 2/20/2024 at 3:46 PM, deadshank said:

Perhaps we need to define how "important" is used as a descriptor.  Certainly the word can be used within the realm of music, its development, originality, so on and so forth. The same can apply to individual songwriters and musicians.  All within the framework of music.  Innovators, virtuosos, classics, etc.  Sure.  There are surely important people, songs and compositions.  

Using "important" as a descriptor when referring to any particular music or musical piece itself or to the musician / composer / singer as if its importance is somehow world-affecting on the macro level seems aggrandizing and silly to me.

I recall a few years ago that Guns and Roses had a new album or a tour that was kicking off and the promotional spot on TV delicately mentioned that it was "the most important" such and such of the last so many years.  Important?  Really?  What makes those meatheads and their music so important?   We're talking GnR here.  Sure, you can really dig them, rock out to them and enjoy them.  Important?  Hardly.  

Similarly, Brandi Carlile released The Joke and someone on Surly decreed the song to be "so important!"  Certainly they can like the song.  I agree it is thoughtful, well sung and arranged.  Important?  For someone?  Sure.  Just important because,  "well it's important!"  Nah.

It's just my opinion.  I'm not looking to fight over it.  You asked.

OK....let's fight.

Do you think that presidential debates are ‘important’?

20 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Do you think that presidential debates are ‘important’?

In a general sense: yes.  Lately and for the most part they are a train wreck and a program of zingers, gotchas and insipid pandering.   

What do you think?  

On 2/24/2024 at 4:30 PM, deadshank said:

In a general sense: yes.  Lately and for the most part they are a train wreck and a program of zingers, gotchas and insipid pandering.   

What do you think?  

I don't think people watch them...at least from start to finish.  Then, out of context sound bites are blasted out over multiple forms of media and people convince themselves that they watched and have a strong opinion.  That opinion ends up being the transparent talking points of a particular side of the aisle.  If one choses to employ critical thinking skills and debunk the brainwashing they do not fall completely victim to this mentality.  But that takes effort.  And critical thinking skills.  We're doomed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Miller's Crossing and Goodfellas premiered within three days of each other in 1990.  Miller's Crossing is the better movie. 

Millers Crossing was on this weekend and as soon as I saw it was on I watched it. And I do that almost every time it’s on. The writing, casting, cinematography and acting are near perfection. Goodfellas is fantastic but if I see its on I can usually “meh” on past it. Maybe it’s because Goodfellas seems to be on 24/7 in its edited form on some satellite station or another. (Lookin at you TBS)
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like sparkling water and I drink a ton of it. The subtle flavor tricks me into thinking I’m drinking something sweet and prevents me from drinking sodas.  Topo Chico is fine but it’s no better than Waterloo, polar, HEB brand, or whatever else 

On 3/25/2024 at 9:17 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Grapefruit Topo Chico is like fucking crack for me.   The best thirst quencher on earth. 

I'm a LaCroix Pamplemousse kind of gal. Probably six one way and half a dozen the other though, right?

Edited by BeardIP

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So you don't like selzer or topo specifically? The former makes sense, the latter does not. I bought a soda stream and just add lemon and/or lime juice. Way cheaper and just as refreshing.

We had a soda stream and loved it, but my wife quit working in a town with a Wal Mart where we can refill it, and now refills are inconvenient to the point where we just went back to cans.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We had a soda stream and loved it, but my wife quit working in a town with a Wal Mart where we can refill it, and now refills are inconvenient to the point where we just went back to cans.

I've not done any seltzer makers in a good while, but is there some advantage to this soda stream type over the old seltzer bottles with a small co2 bottle for a liter at a time? I think the old ones work out to around 60 cents a liter, and you don't have to trade in the bottles. 

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I've not done any seltzer makers in a good while, but is there some advantage to this soda stream type over the old seltzer bottles with a small co2 bottle for a liter at a time? I think the old ones work out to around 60 cents a liter, and you don't have to trade in the bottles. 

You got a lot more than one liter out of a fill on the soda streams.  At least as I recall it.  It's been 5-6 years at this point.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

17 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

At what cost? Those are big co2 bottles, right? And they have to be (or is it "can" be?) refilled? 

They're big co2.  I honestly don't remember the cost, but it was cheap as hell for the amount of uses.  IIRC you didn't have to refill it, but the cost of a new bottle really cut into the savings.

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

So you don't like selzer or topo specifically? The former makes sense, the latter does not. I bought a soda stream and just add lemon and/or lime juice. Way cheaper and just as refreshing.

I like Topo.  I don't care for selzer though, like La Croix. Which is irritating, because my office has about 14 diff La Croix flavors you have to sift through to find a god damn unflavored, noncarbonated water bottle. 

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They're big co2.  I honestly don't remember the cost, but it was cheap as hell for the amount of uses.  IIRC you didn't have to refill it, but the cost of a new bottle really cut into the savings.

I checked the font of all pricing, Amazon. Looks to me like the singles are less expensive per drink unit.  There, anyway.

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

So you prefer sparkling water with flavoring, right? Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper... like that? 

Mmmm-mmm! Mmmanly!

I haven’t had a soda since 2009. I drink exclusively water, and on occasion Gatorade zero, protein drinks, and alcohol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I haven’t had a soda since 2009. I drink exclusively water, and on occasion Gatorade zero, protein drinks, and alcohol. 

Given your brain dead opinions, alcohol must lead the pack.

• Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

18 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

It's hard to trust a man who eschews Dr. Pepper.

Probably never had an RC.

Much less a Dub.

What in God's  name does he use to wash down hos Moon Pie?

What a man and his ho do with their moon pie is a subject better left to IPIHB. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, nnm said:

What a man and his ho do with their moon pie is a subject better left to IPIHB. 

Got too wired up thinking about an RC and a Moon Pie on a hot summer's day to notice typo-affliction.

Say... who's up for a Jolt 'steada that RC? 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I checked the font of all pricing, Amazon. Looks to me like the singles are less expensive per drink unit.  There, anyway.

That could get my ass back into the Soda Stream game.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

It's hard to trust a man who eschews Dr. Pepper.

Probably never had an RC.

Much less a Dub.

What in God's  name does he use to wash down hos Moon Pie?

I’ve never had a moon pie. I don’t think they sold them in Texas until recent years because I definitely don’t recall ever seeing one at a store until recently. 

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ve never had a moon pie. I don’t think they sold them in Texas until recent years because I definitely don’t recall ever seeing one at a store until recently. 

They were all over SE Texas in the late 60’s/70’s.  Haven’t look for them in a couple of decades though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That could get my ass back into the Soda Stream game.

Yeah, I took a look at prices on Amazon. At under 50 cents a quart/liter for the little cartridges, I'm looking at it pretty seriously for this summer's refreshers - half a lime squeezed into the glass and rubbed on the rim, shot of gin or vodka, coupla ice cubes, fill it up with seltzer... mmmmmm.

29 minutes ago, Helobious said:

16 minutes ago, HouTex said:

They were all over SE Texas in the late 60’s/70’s.  Haven’t look for them in a couple of decades though.  

I grew up in South Texas and this was a major treat growing up, got them all the time at the gas station.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I grew up in South Texas and this was a major treat growing up, got them all the time at the gas station.

I also grew up in South Texas and never saw one at all growing up. I guess our valet never picked them out on his weekly grocery run. 

• Haha 1