Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

Welcomed new daughter into the world Wed.

Back home and getting into the swing of things...couldn't be any more excited!

EFE01B3C-A030-4058-AA1B-3EEA02C2B83A.thumb.jpeg.bcad61e945e2e920ad5f277041b90d9f.jpeg

Hide contents

Also, a c section was probably the right decision considering the kiddo had a head in thr 95th percentile

Also I am pretty sure my already high caffine intake is a about to quadruple lol

HHAHAHAHAH… yeah bud. Plan on being deliriously tired for the next 3 years.

Congrats bud. It like painfully drowning in a pool of wonderful

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2022 at 2:19 PM, South Austin said:

Proud Surly Dad moment last night.

My daughter’s basketball team played Anderson. She’s a sophomore and has moved back and forth between Varsity and JV depending on roster needs due to COVID, and last night she was on JV, which was good because there she starts and gets more playing time than on Varsity. More opportunity to improve so she’ll be even better next year when she’s on Varsity, I keep telling her.

Because of COVID cases, McCallum starters played the entire game with no subs, while Anderson was constantly rotating players. McCallum was down 10 at one point, and I thought Anderson might pull away for a blowout. But McCallum fought back, and my daughter made the game-tying shot in the final minute to send it into overtime.

Then, she hits the go-ahead shot with eight seconds left in overtime. And then, she blocks Anderson’s last-second shot – from a player that had been lighting it up for them all night – to seal the win. After the game, she walked all the way across the gym to give me a big Dad hug, and I could feel the joy and elation from her.  Even better that it was against their rival. I’m still grinning the next day writing this.

[And I stayed for the Varsity game, in which Anderson kicked the ever-living shit out of our girls, so even better that my daughter played the JV game.]

Go Big Mac!

Class of '90

• Hook 'Em 1

oh man, I almost miss those days of just.... wake the baby, change the baby, feed the baby, change the baby, put the baby down, watch some west wing, repeat, nod at wife during the changing of the guard
i was also just thinking this morning about how i haven't slept in in almost a year

My kids were terrible sleepers. Now they get 10-12. But this morning my 3YO was up at 5 am jumping on his bed. Took an hr to get him back to sleep but that woke me up for the day. you’ll still get 5-7 hrs of sleep when they become better sleepers unless you want an 8PM bed time

We've been lucky that all of our kids have been pretty good sleepers. The middle is the worst, but he is good for a full night usually once we finally get him down. The youngest has been good for ten or more hours since he was like one month old. But going from two to three, it doesn't matter how much they sleep. Life is chaos, and they outnumber you. Going from two to three is way harder than going from one to two.

We've been lucky that all of our kids have been pretty good sleepers. The middle is the worst, but he is good for a full night usually once we finally get him down. The youngest has been good for ten or more hours since he was like one month old. But going from two to three, it doesn't matter how much they sleep. Life is chaos, and they outnumber you. Going from two to three is way harder than going from one to two.

Psychopaths, all of you parents of more than 2 kids

On 11/21/2021 at 10:48 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Wife texted me the other day. Said my youngest told him that he knew Santa was us. Makes me sad, that was the highlight of the holidays. My daughter would get in on the act to help sell it for him too.

(yes, I'm quoting a year old post. Fight me.)

A couple of years back, a few weeks after christmas, my daughter told me "Dad, I've been thinking, and I don't think Santa Claus really exists."

I said "Then who brought you all those gifts?"

She responded "I haven't figured that out yet."

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:38 AM, NoName said:

Welcomed new daughter into the world Wed.

Back home and getting into the swing of things...couldn't be any more excited!

EFE01B3C-A030-4058-AA1B-3EEA02C2B83A.thumb.jpeg.bcad61e945e2e920ad5f277041b90d9f.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

Also, a c section was probably the right decision considering the kiddo had a head in thr 95th percentile

Also I am pretty sure my already high caffine intake is a about to quadruple lol

Pro tip: Its ok to go to the office so you can get some rest.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

(yes, I'm quoting a year old post. Fight me.)

A couple of years back, a few weeks after christmas, my daughter told me "Dad, I've been thinking, and I don't think Santa Claus really exists."

I said "Then who brought you all those gifts?"

She responded "I haven't figured that out yet."

I'm constantly amazed that my oldest dumb enough to think that stupid elf goes back to the north pole every night and hides somewhere new every morning. Or sometimes it likes where it is and doesn't move for a couple of days. But she is still pre  kindergarten and already reads and does addition and subtraction, so I guess she isn't that dumb.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Neighbors across the street have four.  All infants or toddlers.  I see the wife when working from home in the afternoons sitting the driveway, just exhausted and the kids turned loose is like a jailbreak.  

Neighbors across the street have four.  All infants or toddlers.  I see the wife when working from home in the afternoons sitting the driveway, just exhausted and the kids turned loose is like a jailbreak.  

Has to be 1, maybe 2 oopsies in that house. 4 under 3 club would be the closest definition of hell I can think of besides Oklahoma
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Has to be 1, maybe 2 oopsies in that house. 4 under 3 club would be the closest definition of hell I can think of besides Oklahoma

They're aggies, so.....

And another family on a kids sports team, also aggs, they have FIVE

I think they're trying to breed everyone else out

20 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

My kids were terrible sleepers. Now they get 10-12. But this morning my 3YO was up at 5 am jumping on his bed. Took an hr to get him back to sleep but that woke me up for the day. you’ll still get 5-7 hrs of sleep when they become better sleepers unless you want an 8PM bed time

our kid is pretty good - we generally took the approach described in the book "12 Hours of Sleep by 12 Weeks Old" and she was sleeping through the night around that time. We also did the extinction method when she went to her crib, although it's kinda academic as she never really cried all that much when going to bed. She'll sometimes get up and cry for a bit, or just sit up and fuck around for a bit before going down, but she's generally down from 8:30 till about 6:30-7. I'm not even all that sleep deprived - I've slid back to going to sleep a bit after midnight just because late night is the only time I really have to myself, but wife has the early shift so I wake up to the baby laughing at me at 7. I can live indefinitely on 7 hours of sleep. But long gone are the days of "fuck yeah friday I'm going to play video games till 2 and then sleep till 10". I can get up earlier than 7, can't get up later.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We’re in like week 4 of sleep regression for our 1yo. Hoping things go back to normal soonish, as she was always a tremendous sleeper from really early on.

I will say I have been able to catch up on sleep the past several weeks….due to finally traveling regularly for work again. Uninterrupted sleep is worth it’s weight in gold. 

My sister has 7 kids. I will post the age of the 1st kid when each of the other 6 were born:

2nd kid - 11.5 months
3rd kid - 2 years 2 months
4th kid - 3 years 7 months
5th kid - 5 years 3 months
6th kid - 6 years 11 5 months
7th kid - 8 years 11.5 months

#2 and #6 have the same birthday.

Her oldest has 3 kids of her own now. Oldest is 5.

My sister has 7 kids. I will post the age of the 1st kid when each of the other 6 were born:

2nd kid - 11.5 months

Your sister should have tried anal.
  • Like 1

2nd kid - 11.5 months

Which Duggar are you?
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Man-to-Man > Zone

That said, my dad (born in 1910) had 3 sons with his first wife.  Divorced, married my mom, who was a year older than his middle son (he was 50, she was 20).  They had my sister in 1962.  I was born in 1973.  He was 63.  After my second born (two sons), I got snipped. 

So, while I'm not personally up for having a ton of kids, I'm glad my pops was a fertile sexagenarian with a good rap in his 50s . . . and an airplane . . . and balls as big as church bells.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

As ridiculous as it may sound, I think the jump from 2 kids to 3 was harder than no kids to 1.

The oldest is 7, and he’s playing basketball in a 1st/2nd grade league where they lower the goals, you have to only guard your guy etc. At the end of last year it was finally starting to click. We played the “best” team in the league this morning who beat us by double digits last game. Despite his old man getting a little too animated while coaching, little man lead his much smaller and slower team to a W today. Celebratory Icees were had while breaking down the game with the team/parents/etc.

fff87249a57324f33f852d856ca1fef1.jpg

47acb5ffd50bc0fd9ae0f1df6b213edc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Lilshep has been killing it in first year of select kid pitch. Pitched 5 innings today struck out 9. No walks, no hits. Went 7 for 8 at the plate. Drove in 5 runs , scored 6. Only out he made was deep fly out to right. Error free defense also. 4 games today in the freezing weather in waller. 20220213_002530.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 8

Navy-iet got tired of me speaking Spanish to her everyday and downloaded Duolingo. She’s gone bonkers with this app and is absolutely loving learning Spanish. 

That’s right. A kid enjoying learning foreign language. She gets in learning wars with other kids, competing, piling on experience points, gems and other crap. Tried it myself and have to admit it’s way entertaining. 

It’s been 3 weeks and we both text and speak Spanish with each other now. 

Duolingo man. Shit is going to make classroom foreign language a snap 

• Like 3

Navy-iet got tired of me speaking Spanish to her everyday and downloaded Duolingo. She’s gone bonkers with this app and is absolutely loving learning Spanish. 
That’s right. A kid enjoying learning foreign language. She gets in learning wars with other kids, competing, piling on experience points, gems and other crap. Tried it myself and have to admit it’s way entertaining. 
It’s been 3 weeks and we both text and speak Spanish with each other now. 
Duolingo man. Shit is going to make classroom foreign language a snap 

I started Duolingo to practice up on my Spanish and learn some other languages for travel etc. Gotta admit, it’s pretty addicting. They have gamified this area of learning very well. Chad Jr. saw me doing it and now he’s into it as well.

Chad Jr. also saw the trailer for the last Borat movie because Mrs. F was like, “how bad can it be?” and now he’s supplementing his Spanish with Russian and walks around the house all day sounding like little Borat spouting off about “I sheet on Mister Troomp’s lawn” and “mother Russia” as he pretends to be a T-34 driver in a giant cardboard box.

So win for Borat and Duolingo.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I learned  new lesson last night about being a dad. Never fucking ever leave your beverage unattended. While bathing the two year old last night I finished off my first and only Guinness to the four year old telling me "don't drink that." He had put some paper in my glass that he'd "made science" with, meaning it contained any lotions, soaps, toothpaste, cleaning supplies, wepons of mass destruction, etc. that he could find. Not acting quick enough, I downed the Guiness and "science" without batting an eye. Though there was a strong chemical taste at the bottom of the glass. I dismissed it after lecturing him on no more science.

That was until the cramps started two hours later. The rest of the night I found myself on either the crapper or in the fetal position. The good news is that I am literally over six pounds lighter than I was last night and that the boy now knows to never ever put anything in someone's food or drink that doesn't belong. Concidered the mobile iv nurse but I'm finally able to keep fluids down again and am on the road to recovery. Thus ends the story of how my four year old slipped me a Mickey on St. Patrick's Day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, statsman said:

Is that near the secret submarine base? (I know that sounds crazy- when I lived there in the early ‘80s the locals would refer to a secret submarine base at the end of Point Loma)

I was unaware of a secret base; however, I just did a quick search:

There’s a secret underground military base under Point Loma. The entrance tunnels are visible to the public from a road, but no readers knew which road.”

https://voiceofsandiego.org/2010/11/29/san-diegos-urban-legends-help-us-track-them-down/

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you familiar with Band of Brothers know the gravity of the episode " Why we fight."   Well, as far as parenting goes, I've pissed off my own boys plenty while raising them, but they have come around on some of their mother and my stances on things.  In an ongoing discussion with my 28 and 23 year old sons today, the youngest posted:

"I love how all the lessons that Dad taught us are coming full circle."

This is why we parent, and yes, "parent" is a verb.  I cannot go into the depth and context of the message as it is military related.  It got real fucking dusty to read that, as he and I had some intense...um..."disagreements on process" while he was in his late teens.  It is gratifying AF when your adult children acknowledge the investment you made in them.  It is incredibly humbling and proud at the same moment, if that makes sense.

Edited by slorch

Sometimes i stare at my sleeping boy with awe and amazement and wonder how my dumbass could help produce something so fragile and beautiful. 

Little dude also came basically right on-time and on-stat. 

Then I saw some social media posts from acquaintances about various troubles they had— with early term and such. My younger self could only have superficially understood the message, but not truly sympathize with the situation. But now I do. And by god, is the act of human birth something of a complete fucking miracle. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 6:12 PM, 52-80 said:

But now I do. And by god, is the act of human birth something of a complete fucking miracle. 

You know what’s also a complete fucking miracle?

Getting your kids to sleep the night before Christmas or Easter while simultaneously remaining wake yourself, because the kids are bound and determined that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are going to have to stay up late waiting for them to go to sleep so that presents can be delivered.  

If the kids would go to sleep at a decent hour, maybe Jack Skellington would visit bearing gifts the night before Halloween.

• Haha 1

Convince yourself they have a sniffle from allergies and get them Benedrunk for quick bed time 😆. We got lucky and had a long day of t-ball, Easter carnival in the hot sun, playing with cousins, and no naps. The boys were out 10 minutes after tuck in, so after the Easter Bunny came we got a visit from the Cabernet Sauvignon Fairy. 

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Drool 1

Getting your kids to sleep the night before Christmas or Easter while simultaneously remaining wake yourself, because the kids are bound and determined that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are going to have to stay up late waiting for them to go to sleep so that presents can be delivered.  
If the kids would go to sleep at a decent hour, maybe Jack Skellington would visit bearing gifts the night before Halloween.

Melatonin for the win.

Younger one turns 12 next weekend. Since we're hitting the tailend of the adolescent times, we decided to do some fun younger kid things this weekend since she's more apt to do them than her sister. Yesterday morning, we got up super early and drove to Glen Rose to visit Dinosaur Valley State Park. Hit Dinosaur World on the way out. Ended the day with 3 hours at Fossil Rim. Giraffes did not disappoint as the kids got up on the moonroof to feed them and take pictures. Today, we're going to a the Ranger game at 1:35 as she hasn't been to the new ballpark yet. Just trying to enjoy these fleeting moments of childhood. 

• Like 1

Man, the past 12 months have been really hard with my daughter.  The pandemic and all the fall out of not being at school, lost social interaction, coupled with being a teenager really impacted her mental health.  Luckily we figured it out, and got her help.  Watching her improve over the past 6 months, and also be genuinely happy doing something she loves has been so awesome.  I'm so proud to be her dad.

image.thumb.png.f0ae39f038d66ab6f890edb2f50ac3ad.png

• Hook 'Em 5

On 4/16/2022 at 11:08 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I basically had to tell my wife bluntly this weekend she’s made Easter into a combination Halloween/Christmas with the candy and Easter bunny presents. Two kids 6 and 3, and the 6 year old was talking about how excited he was for Easter for days mainly because he expected presents and candy from the Easter bunny. He was also excited about seeing his cousins so at least we’re doing that right about spending time with family lol.

• Haha 1