Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Yes.  I agree with you.  What I am hearing has more to do with what UM saw when he "looked under our hood".  I am also thinking that we don't have the BMD's that we all think we do.  I want them to be wrong.

I hope the past few weeks have been about CDC and Hartzell and our overhyped BMDs selling him on the changes we absolutely will make under the hood.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

All due respect, but you’re wrong. 

This is correct. For a while in the late 70’s/80’s pretty common to see car window stickers that said “The University”. Among family who all went to Texas, we refer to it as The University, as everyone just knows what they are talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Everyone has a source.  They are like assholes.  Not saying mine are infallible.  They are in a position to know.  I am not saying they do.  We have been laughing about Kendra Scott, the airplane incident, drunk episodes etc for months.  A lot of what they have told me has panned out.

From what they are saying, I think this board is in for a huge letdown.  I pray to sweet baby Jesus that they are wrong.  Fuck Tom Herman.

Let down because we aren’t hiring urban or let down because we aren’t gonna fire Herman?

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

On the upside, not firing Tom and hiring Urban frees my fall Saturdays up entirely for activities like off roading and Vegas poker trips. 

Always look on the bright side of life... 

Yeah, I would just find something else to get into. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Everyone has a source.  They are like assholes.  Not saying mine are infallible.  They are in a position to know.  I am not saying they do.  We have been laughing about Kendra Scott, the airplane incident, drunk episodes etc for months.  A lot of what they have told me has panned out.

From what they are saying, I think this board is in for a huge letdown.  I pray to sweet baby Jesus that they are wrong.  Fuck Tom Herman.

I have never hated another human being more than I hate you at this very moment. 
not really. But that sucks. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

If we keep Herman, I have no reason to watch.

This is why Herman will be gone. It will happen by Urban's and Texas' timeline and has nothing to do with today's game. The University can't afford to keep Herman and everyone knows it.

I don’t know anyone important. But it seems logical that if Urb doesn’t want the job, or any unwanted attention for that matter, simply make a statement. The fact that he hasn’t done that tells me he is onboard. 
My brother and I have been debating this. This is the part that scares me a bit about the um situation.

Most coaches, if rumors come up tying them to a job, will look to kill the speculation quickly. Sometimes they're even lying, but they generally try to squash the conversation until it's official.

Problem is, Urban currently has no team. He doesn't really need to address the rumors. If he has turned us down, cdc may have asked that he doesn't address them, given that will increase the pressure on our search.

That's why I'm basically assuming it's good news this weekend or I'm going to stop following the search until someone is announced. If Urban says no, we might hear nothing until the new coach is announced. That could be weeks, or longer. After signing day passes, there's no urgency other than fan impatience. I hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does I won't be around for the ride.

19 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Damn going for the Killshot on RapGameLarry huh. FWIW this from Texans7 at 247. 

Coffee time. Fresh pot at the Cafe right now before the flight. Hookem! Relax and understand greatness is around the corner.

Guess we got ourselves an "insider" showdown 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

ATT makes it sound like it’s all the “local affiliate” fault.  
“the owner of this channel has removed it from u-verse.  We asked them to keep it on air, we share your frustration and want to bring it back”

poor ATT

hi hate tegna, but i hate @@ worse.  advantage tegna.

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

Damn going for the Killshot on RapGameLarry huh. FWIW this from Texans7 at 247. 

Coffee time. Fresh pot at the Cafe right now before the flight. Hookem! Relax and understand greatness is around the corner.

Guess we got ourselves an "insider" showdown 

Dude, I am not vouching for anything.  I would love for my guys to be wrong.  I think they very much could be.  I am holding on to the belief that CDC has kept it close and has cut some of the normal trouble makers out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

If Herman is not let go tomorrow, then CDC can fuck right off back to TCU.  If he fucks us out of salvaging this recruiting class by letting Herman coach through the Kansas game because of optics, then he is a detriment to this programs success.  I'll repeat this over and over.   Good leaders and CEOs make tough decisions before it's too late.  

And we getting dangerously close to too late. I get, but don't agree with, the concept of finishing the season but the season doesn't normally end a few days before signing day.

• Hook 'Em 1

There really should be no plan B.  We have tried plan Bs and plan Cs and we've seen where it has gotten us.  Once again, every broadcaster was mocking our program on national tv.  Take a page out of fucking Alabama and aggy.  They kept increasing the pay to Saban until he simply could not say no.  They fucking care about football.  Our administration does not.  If Meyer says no to 12 million, make it 15 million,  if he says no to 15 million, make it 18 million.  Fucking aggy realized this and got themselves a national championship winning coach and they are in the top 5 pushing for a playoff spot.  While our coach in year 4 is trying to convince our fanbase that 4 seasons with a .600-.700 average record is us heading in the right direction.  We talk about how rich our university and athletic department is yet we have a fucking G5 drunk in charge and facilities that look 30 years old.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone know the record for the largest buyout in CFB history? $15 mill is a disgusting amount. I know there's a lot at stake with stadium renovations, bodies in the stands, etc. But that sum is a huge hole to start out in. Not to mention the optics of paying someone 15 to go away while paying someone else 12 are equally bad. 

Just as a reminder for those who don't follow recruiting. UT has 1 out of the top 20  recruits committed for the 2021 class.  That itself is a reason to fire Herman regardless of whether Urban comes or not.
Top 20 *Texas recruits.

One out of the top 20 overall wouldn't be that bad. One out of the top in Texas, when we're fucking Texas? Yes, that's fireable.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, victory88 said:

There really should be no plan B.  We have tried plan Bs and plan Cs and we've seen where it has gotten us.  Once again, every broadcaster was mocking our program on national tv.  Take a page out of fucking Alabama and aggy.  They kept increasing the pay to Saban until he simply could not say no.  They fucking care about football.  Our administration does not.  If Meyer says no to 12 million, make it 15 million,  if he says no to 15 million, make it 18 million.  Fucking aggy realized this and got themselves a national championship winning coach and they are in the top 5 pushing for a playoff spot.  While our coach in year 4 is trying to convince our fanbase that 4 seasons with a .600-.700 average record is us heading in the right direction.  We talk about how rich our university and athletic department is yet we have a fucking G5 drunk in charge and facilities that look 30 years old.  

I question whether winning is actually a priority here. If we mess this up, it would be another feather in the cap of being a money machine only.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone know the record for the largest buyout in CFB history? $15 mill is a disgusting amount. I know there's a lot at stake with stadium renovations, bodies in the stands, etc. But that sum is a huge hole to start out in. Not to mention the optics of paying someone 15 to go away while paying someone else 12 are equally bad. 
It's not the university's money. Why are the optics bad?

Rich guys who care about football can spend their money where they like. If they want to spend it on this, should we say no?
  • Like 1

As I indicated earlier, I figured out why I hadn’t heard that Urban changed from a no to reconsidering the offer and a possible yes. But I have not heard his final decision. My optimism has come from all of the smoke over the last few days. If CTC2’s source is good, that’s not encouraging.

Edit: I am confident, however, that Herman is done.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

You get it.

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Some great past coaching hires in the past weren’t first options. Famously, Pete Carrol was like USC’s 6th option. Also DKR wasn’t our first choice.

Herman, of course, was our first choice 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yes, and our fan ask for too much, like expecting conference championships. Maybe we're tired of paying for things that don't result in championships of any kind, even in years when we beat ou, they end up with the trophy. Sorry for wanting more, my bad (directed at tv people)

• Hook 'Em 1

Some great past coaching hires in the past weren’t first options. Famously, Pete Carrol was like USC’s 6th option. Also DKR wasn’t our first choice.
Herman, of course, was our first choice 
I hear you, but very few first choices are in this category.

It doesn't mean that our second or third choices would be bad, but first choice here is as close to a sure thing as you'll ever see.

5 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

South Carolina is paying $13.2 million to buy out Muschamp.  Aggy paid Sumlin 10 mil for his buyout 4 years ago.  This isn't 1995 anymore.  I agree that this is a fuck ton of money to coach a game but this is where college football is.  It's not like these programs don't rake in millions of dollars with how much tickets and the gameday experience costs now a days and their tv contracts.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think the bottom line is after the W against KU next week, that’s a 7-3 season. Disappointing? Yes. If this was the end of Herman’s contract you don’t renew him for next year at all. But 7-3 just isn’t “pay $15 mil to get rid of him now” bad. 

Norms go out the window when you can hire one of the most successful coaches of all time. 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think the bottom line is after the W against KU next week, that’s a 7-3 season. Disappointing? Yes. If this was the end of Herman’s contract you don’t renew him for next year at all. But 7-3 just isn’t “pay $15 mil to get rid of him now” bad. 

If Urban Meyer is the replacement then it most certainly is.

If it's not Urban Meyer then it doesn't matter anyway.  Plan B guys like Campbell aren't going to compete for the national championship any more than Herman has.  So it's completely irrelevant at that point, the program is already toast.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

If he says no to $12mm it pretty clearly isn’t about money and just jacking up the dollar amount even more isn’t going to change anything. The fact that they’re willing to eat a $15mm buyout, plus assistants, and pay Meyer $12mm a year, plus assistants, in the midst of a pandemic that has wrecked colleges financially on both the academic and athletic side speaks volumes about the schools priorities. They could not be more clear.

I question whether winning is actually a priority here. If we mess this up, it would be another feather in the cap of being a money machine only.

If we “mess this up” it means Urban Meyer doesn’t have the appetite to return to coaching despite the offer of an ungodly salary at a consensus top flight job. That’s all it means.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I only have my Panhandle source(s) and unless they are smoking a lot of dirt up there the money is not a problem. What I was expressly told is that the holdouts from the Mack era (meaning those who can’t accept we divorced Mack and are still upset) have been shut out. Those who tried to thwart the Saban deal and those who would never have wanted Saban anyway have been shut out. Same for those who don’t want and will never want Urban. So understandably those people are pissed and access has been denied on those levels. Just what I was told. Nothing i know will answer whether Urban is coming. My gut tells me after today he is. I’d rather roll with that. Or maybe I should be smoking Panhandle dirt or snorting snow on the K12 (movie reference). 

Triple post minutes apart! Impressive 

3 minutes ago, fatheryeet said:

Firing TH and the 15mil buyout is a story until Urban is hired. After that, Urban is the story

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

This. Texas would make that $15M back up in like 30 seconds:

1) increase season ticket pricing overall for first time in several years

2) sell more season tickets to fans as this year a number dropped out and they aren't coming back for Herman's sorry ass

3) sell more merchandise as there has to be a ton sitting on shelves due to shitty play

You would see massive, unbridled enthusiasm this program hasn't seen in years as in hiring Urban UT would be signaling they are serious about winning and mean business. The fans would 100% respond.

• Hook 'Em 4

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic