Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

its more than just wins and losses...even though we managed to lose to them TWICE.  maybe I should use Standford or Maryland.  we lost to them too.

We are about to fire a coach that won 10 games and a NY6 bowl against a top 10 team in his second season here. It has been close to 29 years since Cal won 10 games and a NY6 bowl.

I think total control means 'if that Plonsky bitch ever speaks to me...."

That's another thing Herman did, pull social media away from Plonsky. She used to own a lot of the external comms/deals etc and now Herman does. This was done at start of his tenure.

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I feel like the people that compare us to Cal are unaware of just how God awful Cal has been for like, 30 years now.

Actually - just looked it up. Cal has never been good at football. They did sneak a couple of 10 win seasons in in 04 and 06 - before then you have to go back to 91. 

Herman would potentially be their best coach in 70 or so years.

When I compare Texas to Cal, I'm not talking about football results. I'm talking more about the academic/political climate. It seems we aspire to get closer to Cal in the area of academics. Many think commitment to football does not align with that vision. And then you get to politics -- Austin is certainly "woker" and more liberal than aggy for instance. Cal-Berkeley was the epicenter of much of the 60's student protesting. There's no comparison in football accomplishments.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

I actually think had Herman not been such a complete ass clown and had he put up the W's that Saban has (or that I would expect UM to) that this would have easily happened.

UT should give Urban whatever the fuck he wants, He has the skins on the wall. Herman had gimmicks (grill & kisses) but nowhere near the history Urban has.

Your second paragraph says it all. Meyer has those skins to demand these kinds of things. Herman does not so he comes off as a complaining bitch. And he came in hot with all his demands and talked a big game. Got punched in the mouth and alienated himself from those who gave in at first. 

Just now, BrazilHorn said:

That's another thing Herman did, pull social media away from Plonsky. She used to own a lot of the external comms/deals etc and now Herman does. This was done at start of his tenure.

agreed.  it was more of a joke.  Plonksy was finally cut off with Herman and then CDC.  Urban may know something about the higher ups at Texas that he wants clarified.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

When I compare Texas to Cal, I'm not talking about football results. I'm talking more about the academic/political climate. It seems we aspire to get closer to Cal in the area of academics. Many think commitment to football does not align with that vision. And then you get to politics -- Austin is certainly "woker" and more liberal than aggy for instance. Cal-Berkeley was the epicenter of much of the 60's student protesting. There's no comparison in football accomplishments.

this is most of my point, which of course is lost on Burt.  how important is football?  maybe we are finally getting serious.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 2

this is most of my point.  how important is football?  maybe we are finally getting serious.

And that’s the buy in Meyer wants. It has nothing to do about his attitude with current players. It’s his attitude mixed with Texas attitude. Will Texas buy into him like he wants? If we don’t then we clearly don’t want to win like we say we do. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

When football is self funded you can have both.  Texas football contributes to the University's academic endeavors few programs can say that.

TFB Ice Water

Spoiler

***First, in terms of where things are with Urban Meyer, we continue to hold the same position we’ve held for a bit now. Meyer is who Texas wants, they’re willing to pay a lot of money for him, there is a chance he ends up at Texas but we’d say it’s not a great one at the moment.

***But in trying to figure out what direction Chris Del Conte (CDC) might go should Meyer not work out, I spoke with someone who has worked with CDC.

***Source said that CDC is the type that wants to make a splash hire but said that he also is the type who would want the hire to be ‘his hire’. In the case of Urban, the play is just too big to say no too, but source seemed to indicate that it’s not necessarily his style to look for someone who wouldn’t be CDC’s guy. In other words, not sure you get a ton of credit as an AD for throwing a bazillion dollars at one of the best coaches of this generation.

***Source did add that they wouldn’t be surprised if the idea of replacing Herman with Urban, given there is a bit of a divide between the two, isn’t sitting well with CDC. Said it’s not his style to attract that kind of story, if you will.

***In terms of where he would turn if Urban didn’t take the job, source said that CDC is going to go after his guy. If it’s not Urban though, source believes CDC is going to stake his reputation on this next hire – as in, he will take the credit and the blame for it. Someone like Brian Kelly would be a safe hire in that an AD isn’t losing his job for hiring Kelly and it not working out. That’s like landing a 5-star that doesn’t work out. You lose your job when you stand on the table for a 2-star and it doesn’t work out. But source said, CDC will want this hire to be about his choice and he will want the hire tied to him. Source believes CDC is that confident in his ability to find the right guy.

***In other words, it may not be the hire the fan base wants but it’ll be the hire CDC believes can win. Although at this point, short of Nick and Dabo, I’m not sure CDC can appease the fan base.

***I asked the source if he felt like CDC would return to his old stomping grounds and try to bring Gary Patterson in. Source said, he wouldn’t be surprised if he had an informal conversation with him but couldn’t say whether it would be anymore than that. Source said, Gary was actually offered the TAMU job before Jimbo and apparently Gary turned it down.

***I do know that Patterson doesn’t involve himself with the offense at all and we know what Gary can do when his defense is paired with a good offense. So, should the Urban Meyer thing not work out, I for one would have no problem seeing Gary and a guy like Graham Harrell at Texas. I know that probably won’t be a popular take here but after reading tweets and comments this past week, again, Urban Meyer’s name ruined the chance of a large swath of Texas fans being open to much else.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

TFB Ice Water

Hide contents

***First, in terms of where things are with Urban Meyer, we continue to hold the same position we’ve held for a bit now. Meyer is who Texas wants, they’re willing to pay a lot of money for him, there is a chance he ends up at Texas but we’d say it’s not a great one at the moment.

***But in trying to figure out what direction Chris Del Conte (CDC) might go should Meyer not work out, I spoke with someone who has worked with CDC.

***Source said that CDC is the type that wants to make a splash hire but said that he also is the type who would want the hire to be ‘his hire’. In the case of Urban, the play is just too big to say no too, but source seemed to indicate that it’s not necessarily his style to look for someone who wouldn’t be CDC’s guy. In other words, not sure you get a ton of credit as an AD for throwing a bazillion dollars at one of the best coaches of this generation.

***Source did add that they wouldn’t be surprised if the idea of replacing Herman with Urban, given there is a bit of a divide between the two, isn’t sitting well with CDC. Said it’s not his style to attract that kind of story, if you will.

***In terms of where he would turn if Urban didn’t take the job, source said that CDC is going to go after his guy. If it’s not Urban though, source believes CDC is going to stake his reputation on this next hire – as in, he will take the credit and the blame for it. Someone like Brian Kelly would be a safe hire in that an AD isn’t losing his job for hiring Kelly and it not working out. That’s like landing a 5-star that doesn’t work out. You lose your job when you stand on the table for a 2-star and it doesn’t work out. But source said, CDC will want this hire to be about his choice and he will want the hire tied to him. Source believes CDC is that confident in his ability to find the right guy.

***In other words, it may not be the hire the fan base wants but it’ll be the hire CDC believes can win. Although at this point, short of Nick and Dabo, I’m not sure CDC can appease the fan base.

***I asked the source if he felt like CDC would return to his old stomping grounds and try to bring Gary Patterson in. Source said, he wouldn’t be surprised if he had an informal conversation with him but couldn’t say whether it would be anymore than that. Source said, Gary was actually offered the TAMU job before Jimbo and apparently Gary turned it down.

***I do know that Patterson doesn’t involve himself with the offense at all and we know what Gary can do when his defense is paired with a good offense. So, should the Urban Meyer thing not work out, I for one would have no problem seeing Gary and a guy like Graham Harrell at Texas. I know that probably won’t be a popular take here but after reading tweets and comments this past week, again, Urban Meyer’s name ruined the chance of a large swath of Texas fans being open to much else.

TFB doesn't know jack shit outside of recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I hope you are right

I'm pretty confident that I am. And even if I'm not, I'm not sure how much it changes my point. We fired Charlie before he was able to get his own seniors on the field. We fired Mack after he went 8-5, 9-4 and 8-5.

I feel like people sometimes confuse a shitty product with low expectations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Not saying you particularly, but people need to stop pretending that student protests/political activity are the cause of this team's mediocrity just because they want to believe it to support their own political views. Herman is the reason for this team's mediocrity. Every team in the top 5 had players going to protests this summer.  Hell, Saban went with his players at least one time. Dabo certainly doesn't support most of his players' viewpoint but it's still business as usual for Clemson.  

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 7

We aren't Alabama but we aren't Cal either.  We are something else.  More like Michigan or North Carolina.  We care about athletics and have a long history of success but it's not the No. 1 thing in our identity.

Edited by burdine
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I agree with you for the most part. But I can guarantee you a lot of UT faculty/staff that are mortified by the idea of hiring Urban hire at whatever the final cost is. "The Eyes" groundswell started with a faculty member didn't it? You don't see these things being an issue at other football factories. Hell, aggy had alums openly screaming obscenities and epithets at current players this summer with the whole Sul Ross statue embroglio and that's not even a blip on the radar now. Is it simply because they're whatever-and-1 and #5 in the CFP?

Right, but those faculty/staff aren't being allowed to dictate the coaching search process or even gum up the works.  They're being ignored because football absolutely matters at UT. I won't argue that football is as important here as a place like Bama, where they pretty much have nothing else going for them, but that's a very different thing than us being at all akin to fucking Cal. 

And there it is...

You're questioning the importance the University places on Football and making your determination based solely off a result controlled by Meyer.  That's absolutely terrible reasoning, but not really a surprise. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

And that’s the buy in Meyer wants. It has nothing to do about his attitude with current players. It’s his attitude mixed with Texas attitude. Will Texas buy into him like he wants? If we don’t then we clearly don’t want to win like we say we do. 

We have the President, AD, BMDs, and Regents all working in unison to reset the entire CFB coaching pay scale to bring Urban Meyer here. How is it even a question in your mind  whether Meyer will have complete and total backing if he comes here?

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB Ice Water

Hide contents

lmao wtf is that? "Wants to make a splash hire."/"doesn't want to make a splash hire because you don't get a lot of credit for throwing a bazillion dollars at one of the best coaches ever."

stfu

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Right, but those faculty/staff aren't being allowed to dictate the coaching search process or even gum up the works.  They're being ignored because football absolutely matters at UT. I won't argue that football is as important here as a place like Bama, where they pretty much have nothing else going for them, but that's a very different thing than us being at all akin to fucking Cal. 

You're questioning the importance the University places on Football and making your determination based solely off a result controlled by Meyer.  That's absolutely terrible reasoning, but not really a surprise. 

We have the President, AD, BMDs, and Regents all working in unison to reset the entire CFB coaching pay scale to bring Urban Meyer here. How is it even a question in your mind  whether Meyer will have complete and total backing if he comes here?

Because Bobby literally mentioned something similar this morning. 

• Hook 'Em 2

***In terms of where he would turn if Urban didn’t take the job, source said that CDC is going to go after his guy. If it’s not Urban though, source believes CDC is going to stake his reputation on this next hire – as in, he will take the credit and the blame for it. Someone like Brian Kelly would be a safe hire in that an AD isn’t losing his job for hiring Kelly and it not working out.

Brian Kelly?  Talk about blindly throwing shit against the wall.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB Ice Water

Reveal hidden contents

All this tells me is that TFB has nothing in terms of sourcing. The best thing they can come up with is to ask one guy who has worked with CDC before to speculate on what he thinks CDC might do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB Ice Water

Hide contents

So, if I'm reading correctly, their position is that CDC doesn't actually want Meyer because he is too good and well known.  That CDC will want to bring in an unknown coach so that he can take credit for the hire when the guy wins - and bringing in Meyer just won't give him the credit he desires?

This is the dumbest fucking update I've read here.  Its not even a non-update. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What Saban has at Bama and Dabo at Clemson  in regards to those above him and around the program. Complete and total buy in and having his back. He wants the school and administration to completely buy into to him and his football team. Not be some bullshit that Texas has been since DKR. 

100% this. The money is great but Urban doesn't really need it. He could make his Fox salary on the TV set for the next 10+ years if he wants. What he does not want to do is risk not winning big at his next coaching gig, if he takes one. The potential at Texas is massive. He knows this. Otherwise we never would've gotten this far.

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

When football is self funded you can have both.  Texas football contributes to the University's academic endeavors few programs can say that.

No doubt. Again, we know this. Many know this. But there are some academic nerd types that do not -- and they can cause problems. Hartzell gets it. How long will he be here?

Many of you know my wife is a Clemson alum who grew up in Dallas. When she attended in the early '00s she said there were just a couple of kids there from Dallas. (Full disclosure -- I had no idea Clemson was so highly-ranked as an academic school until we started dating and I happened to look it up.) It has become a destination school for Dallas-area kids since Dabo and the football program took off on its run in 2014/2015 or so.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm pretty confident that I am. And even if I'm not, I'm not sure how much it changes my point. We fired Charlie before he was able to get his own seniors on the field. We fired Mack after he went 8-5, 9-4 and 8-5.

I feel like people sometimes confuse a shitty product with low expectations. 

Exactly it doesn't have to be Meyer.  We bought out Mack/Charlie and soon to be Herman.  Our failure isn't for lack of trying. 

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB Ice Water

Hide contents

Brian Kelly to Texas, Urban to ND.  That will go over well.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

All this tells me is that TFB has nothing in terms of sourcing. The best thing they can come up with is to ask one guy who has worked with CDC before to speculate on what he thinks CDC might do. 

Agreed just sharing everything. This did not change my view the slightest bit...ITS HAPPENING

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I just still can't get over the stupid shit of saying "yah he wants to make a splash hire.", then in the following sentence basically saying "he doesn't want it to be a splash hire."

But if one thing is for certain, it's gunna be "his" guy.

uhm ok...

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UncleBuck said:

lmao wtf is that? "Wants to make a splash hire."/"doesn't want to make a splash hire because you don't get a lot of credit for throwing a bazillion dollars at one of the best coaches ever."

stfu

Ya! That’s such a dumb fuck lazy take. CDC gets UM (albeit with some help from BMDs) and he’s set for any future career outside of UT he wants. He walks into a room and he’s the guy that got Urban. He needs nothing else. Obviously, any smart person should and would always have a plan B. Whatever plan B is. Or multiple variations of Plan B. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So, if I'm reading correctly, their position is that CDC doesn't actually want Meyer because he is too good and well known.  That CDC will want to bring in an unknown coach so that he can take credit for the hire when the guy wins - and bringing in Meyer just won't give him the credit he desires?

This is the dumbest fucking update I've read here.  Its not even a non-update. 

Exactly. But before reaching that conclusion, remember that their position is ALSO that CDC WOULD want to make a hire like Meyer ("splash hire"). Christ

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB Ice Water

Hide contents

I don't believe any of this except that I do believe Patterson is a real possible second choice. Does the guy think he can win an NC at Texas.   He may regret the whole statue thing but maybe he's good. 

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Brian Kelly?  Talk about blindly throwing shit against the wall.

And they're not even saying Brian Kelly as an option I don't think - they're using him as another example of a 5 star that wouldn't give CDC the 'credit' he apparently craves.

I guess they think CDC is going to raid Division III to bring in some unknown?

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

14 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Not saying you particularly, but people need to stop pretending that student protests/political activity are the cause of this team's mediocrity just because they want to believe it to support their own political views. Every team in the top 5 had players going to protests this summer.  Hell, Saban went with his players at least one time. Dabo certainly doesn't support most of his players' viewpoint but it's still business as usual for Clemson.

In a year with lots of distractions, all the political stuff was a HUGE distraction. Most teams addressed it and moved forward with their seasons. Our team quite clearly did not. 

Edited by Tex Pete

Just now, dcar00 said:

I don't believe any of this except that I do believe Patterson is a real possible second choice. Does the guy think he can win an NC at Texas.   He may regret the whole statue thing but maybe he's good. 

He might be a real possibility for CDC (though I'd doubt that), but is he a real possibility for the money guys?

45 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

That's an issue. We have the most woke University this side of Berkeley. It's a legit concern. 

Maybe we need to bring Charlie back as the minister of wokeness, as he said, "if something is soft, he can make it hard"

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

"Ok Coach Meyer it looks like we've got everything here almost wrapped up. Thanks for meeting with us for the third time. Now we just need to dot some i's and cross some t's and we'll be all done here. Oh wait, one more thing... do you have any desire to return to coaching?"

image.gif.31620cd63abbc328ca6fceecee2f4711.gif

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic