Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Not trivial but I just read an article about about some hikers showing the damage caused by turons at Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. One of the things mentioned was how many idiots were carving their names, initials or school names in the trunks of trees. 

I would bet that a particular school in Brazos County is one of the offenders.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Fixed for me

Call you what?

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Not trivial but I just read an article about about some hikers showing the damage caused by turons at Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. One of the things mentioned was how many idiots were carving their names, initials or school names in the trunks of trees. 

Link?

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I would bet that a particular school in Brazos County is one of the offenders.

Call you what?

Call me Maybe

• Rage+1 1

People don’t wave anymore as a courtesy sign or respect when you let them in or pull over on a residential street to let them pass parked cars first. I do the wave and they don’t even wave back anymore. Like fuck you too I’m trying to acknowledge you being a slightly decent person and it’s too hard for you to acknowledge back?

I’m sure I’m not the first to say this on this thread, but I’m around 1 for 50 over the last couple months of wave acknowledgement and it’s making me surly.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Superhero said:

People who call me between 12PM and 1PM.

Not as much as people scheduling meetings between 12PM and 1PM.

But holy hell, this is the only time I can step away and not think about work (other than post on Surly). Leave me alone.

I signed up for some realty site to check prices of stuff down the street from my mom and these dickhead realtors call me a couple times every month or two at like 6 pm. 

Motherfucker - I'm not buying a house. And even if I was, don't fucking call me after I get off work. 

11 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

A dickhead FIL who decides to take his daughter for a trip on her birthday when he knows you had plans.

This would be a humblebrag in the wives thread. 

On 2/14/2024 at 2:43 PM, Guadaloopy said:

When the fuck did people stop enunciating the letter "T" in their speech.

I want to go Loudermilk on these people about a half dozen times a day. 

Motherfucker, it's pronounced "but-ton", not "buh-un".

Rage GIF

most americans don't pronounce a T between vowels.  we use a tap or a flap. which is basically a D.  and yes, she spends a lot of time talking about D and pronouncing 'daddy'.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:20 AM, PvilleStang said:

One of the anchors on Fox7 does this crap and drives me bonkers.  Along with "I axed them..."

(speaking of the english language) you got a problem with chaucer?

(more)

On 2/15/2024 at 9:24 AM, conVINCEd said:

Anything in the house that unnecessarily makes noise.  The parents have a grandfather clock and a cuckoo clock that compete with each other for your attention every hour.  They have a landline phone that robotically announces the name of the caller when the phone rings in an annoying robotic voice.  This is making me surly today because I was at their house yesterday to install their Ring doorbell so they can have something else to make noise, and we had a perfect symphony of Westminster chimes, cuckoos, WIRELESS CALLER, and the ring doorbell while I was making sure it worked.

parents have a grandfather clock, wall clock, and table top clock, and each does the westminster chimes, and they aren't particularly synchronized.  watching movies late at night is a chore.  have to pause for two or three minutes and just wait it out.

On 2/12/2024 at 9:44 AM, Macanudo said:

Trucks shouldn't be allowed in the left lane at all.  2 lane, 3 lane, 4 lane.   Enough of that shit.   I spent a considerable amount of time on I-10 Saturday between El Paso and Houston driving behind semis in the left lane doing 65-70 in a 80 MPH zone.  

nominating macanudo for president and dictator for life.

Edited by elfenix
what the fuck when i post the video the preview is for pronunciation but the post is uzbeks
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

most americans don't pronounce a T between vowels.  we use a tap or a flap. which is basically a D.  and yes, she spends a lot of time talking about D and pronouncing 'daddy'.

(speaking of the english language) you got a problem with chaucer?

(more)

parents have a grandfather clock, wall clock, and table top clock, and each does the westminster chimes, and they aren't particularly synchronized.  watching movies late at night is a chore.  have to pause for two or three minutes and just wait it out.

nominating macanudo for president and dictator for life.

The cuckoo clock is the bane of my existence.  I hated that fucker when I was a Ute and I hate it now.  It is their cherished souvenir from a trip to Germany.   It broke several years ago to my great delight, and about 6 months ago they found someone to repair it.  When it and the grandfather clock are doing their thing at the same time it’s like listening to a polka band and a concert pianist having a duel.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The cuckoo clock is the bane of my existence.  I hated that fucker when I was a Ute and I hate it now.  It is their cherished souvenir from a trip to Germany.   It broke several years ago to my great delight, and about 6 months ago they found someone to repair it.  When it and the grandfather clock are doing their thing at the same time it’s like listening to a polka band and a concert pianist having a duel.

It could be worse.   One could play Boomer Sooner and the other one plays the Aggie War Hymn.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

16 hours ago, Okie State said:
20 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Fixed for me

Or contact me in any way. Even if it's directly related to my job responsibilities. Fuck them.

I have my mom in town and my two female cousins (her nieces, who are like sisters to me) and they're still droning on and on about the lack of social connection during Covid.  And I certainly empathize with older folks and children that had that disconnect.  And I am sure I'll be exiled to die alone slowly on a desert island for decades.  But I simply have never understood, and I acknowledge nobody wants to be around me, the fascination humans have with being around people.  I mean, humblebrag and all, but I know some incredibly fascinating and intelligent and talented people, but why people feel the need to contact others or be contacted by them is fucking beyond me.  Is there something I'm missing?  I'm a philanthropic and giving person and engaged in supporting loved ones in any way I can but why do we have to talk to people all the time?  I mean, yeah it was kinda fun when phones were new and exciting and different.  But just what the fuck with human contact?  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I have my mom in town and my two female cousins (her nieces, who are like sisters to me) and they're still droning on and on about the lack of social connection during Covid.  And I certainly empathize with older folks and children that had that disconnect.  And I am sure I'll be exiled to die alone slowly on a desert island for decades.  But I simply have never understood, and I acknowledge nobody wants to be around me, the fascination humans have with being around people.  I mean, humblebrag and all, but I know some incredibly fascinating and intelligent and talented people, but why people feel the need to contact others or be contacted by them is fucking beyond me.  Is there something I'm missing?  I'm a philanthropic and giving person and engaged in supporting loved ones in any way I can but why do we have to talk to people all the time?  I mean, yeah it was kinda fun when phones were new and exciting and different.  But just what the fuck with human contact?  

Related:  5AM flight this morning.  2 different random pairs who just met on the plane, just yammering on about nothing important for 45min/ hour.

Small talk is a waste of time.  Hearing others do it is even more painful.   Shut your pie hole and stop droning on for crisake.

On 2/15/2024 at 9:08 AM, Brisketexan said:

How about when you do the nice thing in traffic, and let someone in (it's a steady line of traffic, and they need to turn in/enter it from a side/cross street).  You do the polite thing, letting them into traffic right in front of you.....and then they proceed to drive below the speed limit when traffic starts moving again.  

Nope, nope, nope.  I let you in fucker, now you play by the same rules as everyone else.  Get moving.  What a dick move -- someone does you a favor, and you immediately delay their day.  I laid on the damned horn pretty quickly.  I have no patience for selfish bad manners.

Generally speaking, the people who depend on the benevolence of strangers in order to drive are usually the last ones you want to be behind. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slorch said:

Related:  5AM flight this morning.  2 different random pairs who just met on the plane, just yammering on about nothing important for 45min/ hour.

Small talk is a waste of time.  Hearing others do it is even more painful.   Shut your pie hole and stop droning on for crisake.

Noise-canceling earbuds/headphones are your friend.  Do NOT get on a plane w/out them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Some of you people sound like you need to live in a sensory deprivation tank.  One of my sisters is like that.  Any little noise sets her off.  When we all go up to the ranch for thanksgiving I always make sure to bring lots of squeaky toys for my dog.

Anxiety disorders are a bitch.  Be thankful you aren't afflicted.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 2:43 PM, Guadaloopy said:

When the fuck did people stop enunciating the letter "T" in their speech.

I want to go Loudermilk on these people about a half dozen times a day. 

Motherfucker, it's pronounced "but-ton", not "buh-un".

Rage GIF

I've spoken like that since I was a little kid. Everyone else I grew up with does too. I've never met anyone who says "but-ton" and I'd probably laugh if I heard the T used twice like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Go to cash a check at my bank( national chain.)  I produce Drivers License and have already written endorsement & my account number on back of check.
Hand them to teller and tell her I need it cashed.
" Please insert your debit card and enter your pin.  There may be fees associated with this transaction."
"For a $75 check on an account in use since 1989?  Just cash the check.  You have everything you need."
Manager gives her the nod to do it.  Why?  Why the fuck are the extra steps even needed, and why can't people have any awareness?  MUST STICK TO SCRIPT!!!

I'm just gonna start burying my money in the back yard.

What’s your address? You know, for pizza delivery reasons.

When I go to Buc Ee’s I have to enter my pin for every transaction when I insert my card, but if I do the no contact thing and it wirelessly reads the chip it doesn’t ask for it. So if anyone ever gets ahold of my card they can just use the chip reader and have full access to my dozens of dollars.

• Rage+1 1

On 2/17/2024 at 5:09 AM, Pimphand said:

Smacking your food

If you do those things your parents sucked dick at raising kids....

Not to mention elbows on the table, and feet on the chair.

Trust me, I tell my daughter EVERY SINGLE MEAL and she still eats like she’s raised by wolves. 

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

when the manlet walking into the restroom before you takes the last adult urinal, leaving you with the child height one

Or the full size man who picks the kid urinal because it’s the first one he sees, so my son does the pee pee dance while the dude with a enlarged prostate drips urine for the next 3 minutes minutes. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Not to mention elbows on the table, and feet on the chair.

Trust me, I tell my daughter EVERY SINGLE MEAL and she still eats like she’s raised by wolves. 

Or the full size man who picks the kid urinal because it’s the first one he sees, so my son does the pee pee dance while the dude with a enlarged prostate drips urine for the next 3 minutes minutes. 

First. This is why my mother carried a wooden spoon.

Concerning the other, hold boy up. Jeez man, do some push ups.

18 hours ago, elfenix said:

when the manlet walking into the restroom before you takes the last adult urinal, leaving you with the child height one

Years ago when my regular bar finally went ADA, they tore out two regular urinals and put in one low urinal.  Couple days later, someone graffiti'd Big Dick on the low one and Small Dick on the regular one.  Of course, all the regulars used the low one if both were free, lest someone walk in on them and risk being the butt of the joke at the bar for the next few minutes.  For that reason, I've been conditioned to using low urinals if ever available.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

First. This is why my mother carried a wooden spoon.

Concerning the other, hold boy up. Jeez man, do some push ups.

If you're asking do I even lift bro? The answer is not recently.

Yes I did lift my son at the time. I said it to be funny, but obviously my sense of humor is not well received here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I bought a new fridge, it was delivered today. It didn't come with a manual. I understand, it's the 21st century, I can go online to get it. But then I found out I can't adjust the temp on the machine, I have to download an app to do that. WTF???

My wife already had the app due to her having a Samsung phone but still, that's fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

On 2/19/2024 at 1:36 PM, shakahorn said:

Years ago when my regular bar finally went ADA, they tore out two regular urinals and put in one low urinal.  Couple days later, someone graffiti'd Big Dick on the low one and Small Dick on the regular one.  Of course, all the regulars used the low one if both were free, lest someone walk in on them and risk being the butt of the joke at the bar for the next few minutes.  For that reason, I've been conditioned to using low urinals if ever available.

When I was a young child, the church we attended had urinals like these:

IMG_1723.png.0849f758712656df6ced54dbb7135a95.png

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Sandman said:

I bought a new fridge, it was delivered today. It didn't come with a manual. I understand, it's the 21st century, I can go online to get it. But then I found out I can't adjust the temp on the machine, I have to download an app to do that. WTF???

My wife already had the app due to her having a Samsung phone but still, that's fucking stupid.

You bought a Samsung fridge?  Prepare thy anus.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, baboso said:

You bought a Samsung fridge?  Prepare thy anus.

I don't completely disagree but I'm replacing a 11 year old Samsung that's been fine for us. Only replacing it because my daughter needs one and it's an excuse to upgrade and give her the old one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Sandman said:

Update: I found the manual, it was in a drawer that I didn't even know was there. Also, figured out how to make adjustments without the app but it still sucks. Not intuative at all.