Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

On 4/11/2023 at 6:02 PM, 52-80 said:

Nobody can convince me theres a logical reason these gear shifts have to be zig-zagged like this

zigzag-gearshift-ca42.jpg

I can out grumpy you on that...  There isn't a reason to even have a shift lever.  99% of the new cars that just lever just activates electronic switches anyways. Just put the buttons on the dash and give me like 12 more cupholders to clean out.  

I mean we had this solved 50yrs ago...

DSC_0584.JPG

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I know the gearshift on my F150 only activates switches. It does not need to be in the middle of the console or shaped like it is. But the driving experience is enhanced by the physical acts of shifting it to drive, reverse, park, etc., and the feeling of resting your hand on it while driving.  I also like that it folds down if I need the space. 

2021-ford-f-150-shifter-animation-160148

My wife’s car has a stupid series of buttons on the dash. I hate that setup. I’m continually hitting the wrong button. And no gearshift knob to rest my hand on. 
2019-Honda-Odyssey-Electronic-Gear-Selec

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, nnm said:

I know the gearshift on my F150 only activates switches. It does not need to be in the middle of the console or shaped like it is. But the driving experience is enhanced by the physical acts of shifting it to drive, reverse, park, etc., and the feeling of resting your hand on it while driving.  I also like that it folds down if I need the space. 

2021-ford-f-150-shifter-animation-160148

My wife’s car has a stupid series of buttons on the dash. I hate that setup. I’m continually hitting the wrong button. And no gearshift knob to rest my hand on. 

I get the ergonomics and the fold down stick is a decent idea, but it's just wasted build expense, complexity, and real-estate in my opinion.  Chances are that 60% of that transmission tunnel is just molded plastic covering up air. (Also a pet peeve).  As my dermatologist can attest, I usually drive with my right hand on the wheel and my left arm on the window sill.  My tundra has a "gated" shifter.  Next time I'm driving around I'll try to see if my hand rests there at all.  I don't think I do that though.

If I want to shift my truck, I'll just take the old mechanical analog FJ out and that'll get old after about an hour.

I am intrigued how you're accidentally hitting the buttons, but it's hard to visualize where that is on the dash.  Do you ever turn on the passenger's seat heater on a road trip...  because if you haven't that can be mildly entertaining.

• Like 1

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Your hand rests on the shifter if your first car had a manual transmission.

Incorrect.  My 71 VW barely had a transmission, never mind anything automatic. I spent a month only parking on "hills" because I was too lazy to go buy a new battery.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

763c72ca21114d8b0f24d31581225a8a.jpg
7 years ago, but with more places banning plastic bags I can’t believe Texas would pass a law to force people to use them.

It seems perfectly on brand that our dear leaders would pass a law requiring everyone to use non reusable plastic bags just to give the middle finger to all the woke people 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

47 minutes ago, locodos said:

Incorrect.  My 71 VW barely had a transmission, never mind anything automatic. I spent a month only parking on "hills" because I was too lazy to go buy a new battery.

Not sure why, but I find this both amusing and awesome at the crossroads of ingenuity and laziness.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Not sure why, but I find this both amusing and awesome at the crossroads of ingenuity and laziness.

It was summer, the bug was old, and I was a poor high school kid who bought his first car.  I also needed that car to get to work and over to friend's houses.

• Old Bugs have the battery under the rear bench seat
  • Bugs are NOTORIOUS for having rusty floorboards especially under the battery
  • My bug had a full internal roll bar
  • Getting the bench out was a massive pain in the bollocks
  • The first time I went to check the battery and see if it just needed water (does that ever work?) most of the floorboard started pulling up with the battery

I knew I needed to get in there with a wire wheel until I hit good metal (lulz), prime, paint, and then screw in aluminum roof flashing so the battery wouldn't drop out the floor.  You also need the right battery because if you get a taller one, the metal "springs" under the bench can cross the terminals.  So it took me a while to get everything I needed so I could knock it out on a weekend I didn't have work.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, nnm said:

So unintuitive. Prius started with that dumb shit. 

6b4e0468-6d6a-475b-b177-2af0cae5156a.jpg

If they want to make a clean electro shifter, Mercedes integrated it into a single stalk (also used by Tesla)

2013-Mercedes-Benz-GL-63-AMG-column-shif

• Like 1

What is this NBA of which you speak? There was an entertaining professional league with that name that I used to watch back in the 1970s-1990s. It was fun to watch. That was another millennium though. That league must have disbanded, because nothing I’ve seen on the last 20 years that calls itself professional basketball is worth watching. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

On 4/15/2023 at 12:38 AM, bolverk said:

Weird bitch but it's Surly and trivial.

Drove up again to my hometown to deal with my parents' estate today.

I just went to get a sixer at the corner store, and the cashier started to wrap the six-pack in a big, thick, black plastic bag. I said "No, that's not necessary."

But then the cashier went into this schpiel about how Texas law requires a plastic bag be wrapped around a six-pack because of some fictitious (so far as I know) law that treats a standard six-pack of unopened bottles packaged in a normal cardboardish whatever that every six-pack of bottled beer you've ever purchased MUST BE thoroughly wrapped in plastic to exit the store.

Me: "Dude, I've been buying beer for 30 years, and this is the first I've ever heard of that. Have you seen this town? Every mesquite has a plastic bag stuck in it. Go drive by the Walmart."

Him: "Sorry, man, that's the law."

Me: "Whatever. That can't possibly be true. Down in Austin (which as a phrase probably marked me as being an asshole), I specifically say "no bag" to every request, and everyone is cool with that without fail. I promise you this is just a store policy and not the law."

The dude looks at me like I'm an alien for that exchange. Sure, I understand he's in a dead-end job and is just spouting company line, so I didn't give him any more grief and walked out with a six-pack of Dos Equis wrapped in an extra thick, black plastic bag.

Is this really a thing in Texas? Am I the asshole baddie?

I had a cashier recently say they had to put a six pack of Dale's Pale Ale cans in a bag.  It comes in a box.  I asked if they put twelve packs in a bag.  Blank stare.  I wish they'd pass a law that says you don't have to put alcohol in a bag rather than not having a law that says you have to put it in a bag.

15 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Someone just left a voicemail on my office phone giving their name and number and "please call me back".

I have no fucking idea who you are or why you called. Tell me why I should call you back?

Its a tarp

51 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

You listen to voice mails?

About 4 months ago I stopped checking voicemails. It's been full for about 15 weeks. Now I answer if I want or use text. I also don't text back unless it's family for about a day or so. I despise the "I need to reach you at any time at my convenience and expect an immediate response" viewpoint.

In a couple years I may just get a landline and chuck the rest.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

About 4 months ago I stopped checking voicemails. It's been full for about 15 weeks. Now I answer if I want or use text. I also don't text back unless it's family for about a day or so. I despise the "I need to reach you at any time at my convenience and expect an immediate response" viewpoint.
In a couple years I may just get a landline and chuck the rest.

User name checks out.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Superhero said:

When the flat sheet rides up while the comforter stays put.

Day 1: fold the flat sheet over the comforter. Fold over is ~12”. 

Day 3: folder over is now about 18”. Hoe does that even happen?

It’s the hoe. 

• Haha 3

Have people forgotten how to ride a fucking elevator…or get on one…properly?   

my God, at least twice/day I have to dodge some Karen trying to jump on the elevator as soon as the doors open when I’m trying to exit.

Or some idiot is on there by themself and hiding around the corner and takes their sweet ass time exiting, and looks at you like an idiot when you look at them and wonder why they wanted to hide on the elevator like a child.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 4

48 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Have people forgotten how to ride a fucking elevator…or get on one…properly?   

my God, at least twice/day I have to dodge some Karen trying to jump on the elevator as soon as the doors open when I’m trying to exit.

Or some idiot is on there by themself and hiding around the corner and takes their sweet ass time exiting, and looks at you like an idiot when you look at them and wonder why they wanted to hide on the elevator like a child.  

That post sounds like it’s two people complaining about the other’s elevator etiquette from the same encounter. 

• Haha 2

Universal bitch… Please make sure you arrive 15 minutes early for your Dr. appointment. Then we’ll leave you alone in a freezing cold examination room for a full 40 minutes after we take your BP and say the doctor will be right in. I’ve started playing the 5 more minutes game. “ I’m walking out if they don’t show up in 5 more minutes. Now, I’m leaving this MF’r if they aren’t here in 5 minutes!” Repeat.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 5

18 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Miles & miles of this shit on I-35 through Waxahachie at 11am this morning (posted sign: “No Trucks In Left Lane”)

A01C49AD-DE34-4225-A5E9-C523145BF56A.jpeg

Truckers who use the left lane while governed at or below the speed limit have their own chamber in Hell reserved.  Fuck those assholes.

We used to drive I-80 between Des Moines and Iowa City regularly, and that part of Iowa consists of long, gently rolling hills.  Two trucks would be side by side governed at the same rate of speed.  When they crest a hell, the heavier one would creep ahead, but never far enough to pass, and then they'd slow climbing the next long gentle hill.  There had to be times where if you had helicopter footage that there would be no one between the trucks and the next exit, and 10-15 miles of traffic stuck behind them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 4

Fuck you Microsoft Windows 11 for grouping icons on the task bar. I usually work with 2-3 Chrome windows (not counting the personal one). I used to be able to quickly see  and click which Chrome window to open. Now I have to hover my mouse over the fucking Chrome icon, see which one I want, and then click on that. It's not that I'm trying to save seconds (otherwise I wouldn't be fucking around on Surly), but it's just fucking annoying.

image.png.1d8933ae6b6e4b9b194f448fe44051f1.png

Looking at at Windows forum, people have been bitching about this since 11 was first rolled out, and Microsoft has done shit about it. My company IT won't let me download a 3rd party program to ungroup, so it's dealing with this bullshit until Microsoft gets its head out of its ass. Fuck!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Fuck you Microsoft Windows 11 for grouping icons on the task bar. I usually work with 2-3 Chrome windows (not counting the personal one). I used to be able to quickly see  and click which Chrome window to open. Now I have to hover my mouse over the fucking Chrome icon, see which one I want, and then click on that. It's not that I'm trying to save seconds (otherwise I wouldn't be fucking around on Surly), but it's just fucking annoying.

image.png.1d8933ae6b6e4b9b194f448fe44051f1.png

Looking at at Windows forum, people have been bitching about this since 11 was first rolled out, and Microsoft has done shit about it. My company IT won't let me download a 3rd party program to ungroup, so it's dealing with this bullshit until Microsoft gets its head out of its ass. Fuck!

autogrouping is horrible.  does anyone actually like having it grouped?  never combine, two rows high, and show me all the icons in the system tray.  i promise you i have enough pixels to handle it, microsoft.

why is so much in windows 11 fucking unfinished?  they've been trying to remake control panel into settings since windows 8 and they're still not done (though the settings panel fucking blows, why can i only open one of them?)  multiple desktops kinda works well until outlook can't remember which desktops it was open on, something chrome manages to do just fine.  which is microsoft's cash cow and which is from a competing company? 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

autogrouping is horrible.  does anyone actually like having it grouped?  never combine, two rows high, and show me all the icons in the system tray.  i promise you i have enough pixels to handle it, microsoft.

Fucking this! Screens are more than 1024x768 now!

• Rage+1 1

On 4/21/2023 at 10:16 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Truckers who use the left lane while governed at or below the speed limit have their own chamber in Hell reserved.  Fuck those assholes.

We used to drive I-80 between Des Moines and Iowa City regularly, and that part of Iowa consists of long, gently rolling hills.  Two trucks would be side by side governed at the same rate of speed.  When they crest a hell, the heavier one would creep ahead, but never far enough to pass, and then they'd slow climbing the next long gentle hill.  There had to be times where if you had helicopter footage that there would be no one between the trucks and the next exit, and 10-15 miles of traffic stuck behind them.

And I always have a sneaking suspicion they're inside their cabs chuckling to themselves.

Edited by gofuckyourself
Fat fingers. Old eyes.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1