Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

I'm flipping channels waiting for the Texas game to start and the 2nd NWS warning in an hour blares right in my ear - this time for Blanco and Hays counties. 

I don't fucking live in Hays County. I'm also not particularly concerned about a 60% thunderstorm chance over two hours later tonight. 

On 6/3/2023 at 5:16 PM, GoPokes83 said:

Sometime between 2014-15 I bought a new iPhone and it came with a free “gift” of the latest U2 album. Apparently whenever I’ve upgraded my phone they transfer that album along with everything else. Every time I hook my phone up to CarPlay this album starts playing and I remind myself to try and figure out how to delete it as soon as I get home, which of course I immediately forget to do until it happens again! FWIW I don’t think U2’s put out anything worth listening to since the mid 80’s!

Fucking Songs of Innocence.  Thanks a lot, Steve Jobs.

Was out and about running errands about 2 saturdays ago.  Wife texts me at 10:52 to go ahead and pick up some lunch, something quick.  
I pull into McDonald's at 10:55 knowing full well they are about to start lunch service at 11.  I'm 2nd car in line on the inside ordering stall.  Boxed in from moving.  At 11:28, I finally get to order my fucking kids their Happy Meals and some nuggs for me & the wife to split.  Get my food at 11:44, fully enraged.  Check my bag, cold fries.  Cold nuggs.  All ice has melted on my drinks.  

I pull around and go inside, slap the shit on the counter.  "The least you could do is give me hot nuggs and fries after getting stuck in line for 43 minutes".   

Get new nuggs and fries.  Not quite as cold, but definitely not piping hot.  Leave in a rage while answering 2 different phone calls from the wife.    Shitheels.  

I thought breakfast was over at 10:30

On 6/3/2023 at 3:47 PM, Vic Mackey said:
On 6/3/2023 at 11:25 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:
People who speed on residential streets should be shot  

Absolutely. And people who speed through parking lots

I absolutely hate people who speed through the parking lot perpendicular to the lines. Congrats on saving 3 seconds of your quality time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Ok I need an “am I an asshole in this situation” check - I’m at Target with a 2 year old in the cart. She sees the apples and starts asking for an apple. I grab an apple and give it to her and grab a second similarly sized apple. Toddler noms on the apple while I shop. I go to check out, I point at the apple and say “hey I got a second one of these but it didn’t survive the trip” and point to the toddler who has a heavily nommed on apple. Cashier gives me a quasi nasty look and says “those are by the pound”, and I say “can you ring that one up twice?”. She does but is not happy about it and shakes her head.

Not an asshole, right? Wtf?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Ok I need an “am I an asshole in this situation” check - I’m at Target with a 2 year old in the cart. She sees the apples and starts asking for an apple. I grab an apple and give it to her and grab a second similarly sized apple. Toddler noms on the apple while I shop. I go to check out, I point at the apple and say “hey I got a second one of these but it didn’t survive the trip” and point to the toddler who has a heavily nommed on apple. Cashier gives me a quasi nasty look and says “those are by the pound”, and I say “can you ring that one up twice?”. She does but is not happy about it and shakes her head.

Not at all. 

Should have hurled a handful of nickles at her face from point-blank range to account for any possible difference. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

For the apple? No.  

But you are on Surly, ipso facto, YATA.

• Like 4

No, not for the apple. But you now need to rethink your username.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/3/2023 at 11:25 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

People who speed on residential streets should be shot  

Yep, I have started walking a lot more these days around my neighborhood and the one next to it.  See at least a handful of speeders during that time walking.

In addition the road that both these neighborhoods are off of (and another across that street) is treated like the autobahn.  Not uncommon to be clear of traffic (bit of blind curve approaching our main entrance) and start turning on to this road and have someone bearing down on you going 15+ over the speed limit. 

This is the same road that I have mentioned before where people on the outer apex of a curve like to cross the double line.  I don't know how many times we have had to make evasive maneuvers because of this.   Surprised there has not been a head on collision at this point especially with all the idiots moving into the area.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:39 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

I absolutely hate people who speed through the parking lot perpendicular to the lines. Congrats on saving 3 seconds of your quality time.

Agree with this and the people who speed through residential streets.  You're not impressing anyone.

Also, people that go the wrong way in parking lots suck

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Celery Man said:

No. And I'd just throw the apple away and not pay for it if the cashier is going to be a cunt about it. 

I do that with drinks all the time (not the throwing away and not paying part, the paying for it when I check out part).

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Yep, I have started walking a lot more these days around my neighborhood and the one next to it.  See at least a handful of speeders during that time walking.

In addition the road that both these neighborhoods are off of (and another across that street) is treated like the autobahn.  Not uncommon to be clear of traffic (bit of blind curve approaching our main entrance) and start turning on to this road and have someone bearing down on you going 15+ over the speed limit. 

This is the same road that I have mentioned before where people on the outer apex of a curve like to cross the double line.  I don't know how many times we have had to make evasive maneuvers because of this.   Surprised there has not been a head on collision at this point especially with all the idiots moving into the area.

I've been known to roll a soccer ball across the street in front of a speeding car so they have to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting a kid that might be chasing it.

I would love to have a radar activated jugs machine that does it automatically.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Agree with this and the people who speed through residential streets.  You're not impressing anyone.

I live in a gated neighborhood and my house is the second one after coming into the neighborhood.

There’s not much distance to accelerate but some people are already 20+ mph before they pass my driveway.

Pisses me off because there are a lot of kids (mine included) in the neighborhood. 

• Like 2

I've been known to roll a soccer ball across the street in front of a speeding car so they have to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting a kid that might be chasing it.

b8009c0c9c979c7b84f9a94c4cd43f51.jpg
Made this for the weekenders flying to get to the beach 15 seconds earlier. They think I’m kidding…
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

Made this for the weekenders flying to get to the beach 15 seconds earlier. They think I’m kidding…

The sad thing is now I have to assume that everyone is armed and will shoot me for inconveniencing them and their desire to haul ass on a residential street.

2 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

How many hammers and scissors do you need?

Respect on the clean workbench though.

53 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I'm not sure if this is a "trivial" thing or not.  I guess it's debatable, but that's for another day.

People that park at gas pumps (not getting gas) to run into the store are giant pieces of shit.  

Full stop.

At a small gas station? Agreed. 

At Buc-ees or a big QT? No problem. There usually aren’t enough parking spaces anyway, particularly at a QT. 

I'm not sure if this is a "trivial" thing or not.  I guess it's debatable, but that's for another day.

People that park at gas pumps (not getting gas) to run into the store are giant pieces of shit.  
Full stop.

I only do this if there are other open pumps. Or like said above at a larger gas station.

Full stop.

If I’m at Buc-ees and have finished pumping my gas and need a biscuit or taco I’ll leave my truck parked at the pump and run in and grab one real quick. If someone else does it they’re inconsiderate assholes!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

If I’m at Buc-ees and have finished pumping my gas and need a biscuit or taco I’ll leave my truck parked at the pump and run in and grab one real quick. If someone else does it they’re inconsiderate assholes!

No issues with that.

Bullshit. The proper 7-11 purchase is a Slim Jim, 3 items from the roller grill, a tall boy, and any combination of 5 lotto tickets that are not scratchers, so that while you’re driving home and eating your taco-meat-filled roller dealie, you can fantasize about what you’d do if you won the $325 million Power Ball. You’re paying for the fantasy, man - it’s just like buying a table dance!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 6/9/2023 at 10:37 AM, Nuge said:

Honey, that's the 10 th time today I've seen that Fiero on the street...

HD-wallpaper-dream-team-grass-socks-beau

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

You sound poor.

But seriously. Dinner and breakfast bills both had surcharges. Haven’t seen this since Covid lockdowns ended. 

Just giving you a hard time. The outrageous charges at breakfast buffets at nice hotels really makes me surly. 

Edit:  Especially because no one in my family eats breakfast on a regular basis anyway. I make myself a smoothie every morning, my wife just has some fruit and yogurt, and I don’t think any of my adult kids eat breakfast. And they didn’t when they were at home. So it makes me even more surly to pay $100+ for a meal that no one really wants anyway!

Edit 2:  pro tip:  I stayed at the Embassy Suites across the street from that Hyatt last month. Their buffet is free for guests. They don’t check room number if you look like a family that would be staying there. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1

My first thought on seeing that bill, and googling the phone number to see it's a fancy Hyatt in a rather nice part of San Diego, is that $35 pp, half price per kid, is kinda cheap for a breakfast buffet.

My second thought is that you should check this thread for ideas on getting even: 

Just giving you a hard time. The outrageous charges at breakfast buffets at nice hotels really makes me surly. 
At a nice hotel this weekend and the absurd prices for mediocre to shitty food makes me surly.

We did find some reasonably priced tacos that were actually pretty good so that helped.
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, shakahorn said:

My first thought on seeing that bill, and googling the phone number to see it's a fancy Hyatt in a rather nice part of San Diego, is that $35 pp, half price per kid, is kinda cheap for a breakfast buffet.

My second thought is that you should check this thread for ideas on getting even: 

It's was a Grand Hyatt by the bay. Nice hotel, but the breakfast buffet wasn't anything to write home about.

I would have been okay with a breakfast burrito and a cup of coffee. The wife and kids wanted something nicer, and the bill for something a bit nicer at a local brunch place would have been pretty high. Maybe not $120 high, but we've had a few breakfasts that were easily > $80.

So this is not a humblebrag, but being genuinely surly about any type of undisclosed / unexplained surcharges.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nnm said:

when you order room delivery and there's room delivery charge, service charge, and then the staff hands you a bill with an empty field for gratuity charge... like goddamn how much am i paying on top of the food

• Rage+1 2

20 hours ago, Superhero said:

What the fuck is this shit?

Surcharge for what?

IMG_0590.thumb.jpeg.628d0d69cfaa8e02438018702ff28627.jpeg

Pro tip, should you stay there again.  Skip the buffet.  Go to the Starbucks next door.  Not the one in the hotel lobby, but literally across the street to the north.  You can get actual regular Starbucks prices and a decent breakfast sandwich or burrito.  The one in the hotel will run you about the same as the above bill.  I learned this the hard way in April.

• Hook 'Em 1