Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

People that gives zero cares about anything but themselves.

Major storms just came through the area (NE Texas and NW Louisiana) late last week knocking power out.  I was in Michigan on business when this happened and flew back into Shreveport late Friday afternoon.  I did not have enough gas in my truck to make it all the way back to Texas and I was advised to get gas when and where I could.  Some of the gas stations near the SHV airport were already out of gas so I got in line at the one station near the airport that did have gas.  Naturally the line was spilling out into the highway with every pump lane at capacity.  Many of the customers were paying by cash so they were having to take their own sweet time strolling into and out of the store and stopping to talk to just about everyone they knew.  Plus many took their time getting in and out of their cars becasue they could not put their precious phone down.  Took way longer than it should have to fill up.

Also, many of the traffic lights in the area are not working.  It is amazing on how many people would just blow right through the light with other cars stopped and proceeding properly.  Or if they were forced to stop because the car in front of them properly stopped, it was crazy on how many people just followed the car in front of them without properly stopping themselves after seeing everyone else do the stop and go process.

Ugh.  Have some self-awareness and know the rules of the road.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Preface this with I’ve worked every spot in a restaurant before. Front of house and back of house so I definitely understand tipping and how it works.

Go to a restaurant yesterday with a party of 9. Service was sub par, but it happens so no big deal. Checks come and my total was sixty something. I notice no gratuity on there. Ok cool I’ll tip my normal 20+ percent. Server takes our cards and comes back and the CC receipt is now in the upper 70s. Didn’t take me long to realize that’s 18 percent gratuity. My only complaint is don’t bring a receipt that doesn’t show gratuity then add it when you run the card hoping I don’t notice and tip on that amount.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I have 10 Oxycodone tablets leftover that I didn’t use after a recent surgery. I figure I’ll save them for either an emergency or for recreational use. I wonder what their street value would be. 

Like $20/ pretty easily. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Preface this with I’ve worked every spot in a restaurant before. Front of house and back of house so I definitely understand tipping and how it works.

Go to a restaurant yesterday with a party of 9. Service was sub par, but it happens so no big deal. Checks come and my total was sixty something. I notice no gratuity on there. Ok cool I’ll tip my normal 20+ percent. Server takes our cards and comes back and the CC receipt is now in the upper 70s. Didn’t take me long to realize that’s 18 percent gratuity. My only complaint is don’t bring a receipt that doesn’t show gratuity then add it when you run the card hoping I don’t notice and tip on that amount.

Ten of you and you asked for separate checks?  Were the other nine people women?  

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Any decent server can easily keep two tickets separated. Sorry for being poor.

Or there's this thing called Venmo now?  They can do separate checks, doesn't mean they want to.   

I agree with you though.  I used to wait tables.  You have to tell the customer when you add the grat.  Totally deceptive.

Edited by closetohumping

I ordered a new Yukon last July. It finally arrived this week. Get to the dealership only to find out the one that they’ve got here for me has the smaller engine than I ordered and several other minor package details wrong. Not the end of the world but fuck man, if you’re gonna make me wait a year for the car to be built at least give me what I ordered. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

24 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

I ordered a new Yukon last July. It finally arrived this week. Get to the dealership only to find out the one that they’ve got here for me has the smaller engine than I ordered and several other minor package details wrong. Not the end of the world but fuck man, if you’re gonna make me wait a year for the car to be built at least give me what I ordered. 

They would have another new vehicle for sale on their lot, and I would never do business with them ever again.  Search within a 500 mile radius for what you want, buy a one way plane ticket, and drive the new car home.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

Total dealbreaker.

Fuck that dealer in the goatass if they don't make it right. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

So what's the solution? That's some bullshit.

49 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Total dealbreaker.

Fuck that dealer in the goatass if they don't make it right. 

To their credit they felt bad and are going to make it right. I bought the new car because I need it and mine is falling apart at this point. So I paid for and took this one. They have reordered the right one and put me to the top of the list, so it should be in faster this time. They guaranteed me in writing that they will pay me back the exact value I paid for the wrong one and will give me a $2k discount on the right one when it comes in. It’s Sewell of Dallas which is pretty well known for their service.  But still…it made me a little surly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

To their credit they felt bad and are going to make it right. I bought the new car because I need it and mine is falling apart at this point. So I paid for and took this one. They have reordered the right one and put me to the top of the list, so it should be in faster this time. They guaranteed me in writing that they will pay me back the exact value I paid for the wrong one and will give me a $2k discount on the right one when it comes in. It’s Sewell of Dallas which is pretty well known for their service.  But still…it made me a little surly. 
That's good they are making it right, but 'felt bad'? They literally had one job and they botched it. Shouldn't have anything to do with feelings and there should be no hesitation in making it right.

No so trivial at this point but the "Significant Grievances That Make You Enraged" thread doesn't exist. Or maybe it's in CR or something.

At any rate -- Warning: Username will definitely apply --

So pandemic HEB was pretty amazing. Did the curbside and delivery thing and came through big time, didn't charge for it or whatever and then afterwards kept it and even ramped it up etc. That's how we got hooked on it. We don't order delivery every time but with work, kids, yadda yadda it saves a ton of time and is worth the charges.

Until the last year or so.

It started innocently enough. "Hey, honey, where are the avocados?" Ring ring. Hey, HEB, we didn't get an item or two. Sorry, we're refunding or sending a new one. Ok fine.

Except that it continued here and there for the next several months and, yes, my dumb ass thought they'd fix it or the errors would stop, but Favor/HEB are apparently run by apathetic morons who want to get fired or sleeper cell operatives from Whole Foods/Trade Joes/Randall's that have been activated and are putting their elaborate grocery insurgence into effect.

So TLDR; because who gives a shit besides us, but for those scoring at home:

~ 15 HEB/Favor delivery orders in the past 6 to 8 months.

Of those, 7 have been correct - all items ordered and delivered.

Of the others, it's at least one bag, and a couple of times two to three bags, of undelivered items. Or someone else's shit.

Even sent a email via the website several weeks ago letting them know they really needed to tighten things up. Apparently that just made me a marked man.

Because the coup de grace was today, when I headed home at lunch to meet the delivery driver who confirmed delivery about one minute after I walked in and yes, you guessed it playing along at home, not a single bag of groceries was delivered. Kids arriving tomorrow, shit I gotta do today, my girl working on long-ass projects and they fucked it.

I told them via phone to record my fucking call for training purposes and please have it reviewed by management for "quality purposes" and I kindly let them know the Favor/HEB system - at least in our area - is beyond fucked.

Full refund given - yay - but fuck HEB. Hard.

So Viva Fiesta Mart or Asian Mart or wherever the fuck I'll be shopping now because Favor/HEB can suck a listeria-soaked dick.

"Here Everything's Fucked"

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

No so trivial at this point but the "Significant Grievances That Make You Enraged" thread doesn't exist. Or maybe it's in CR or something.

So pandemic HEB was pretty amazing. Did the curbside and delivery thing and came through big time, didn't charge for it or whatever and then afterwards kept it and even ramped it up etc. That's how we got hooked on it. We don't order delivery every time but with work, kids, yadda yadda it saves a ton of time and is worth the charges.

It started innocently enough. "Hey, honey, where are the avocados?" Ring ring. Hey, HEB, we didn't get an item or two. Sorry, we're refunding or sending a new one. Ok fine.

Except that it continued here and there for the next several months and, yes, my dumb ass thought they'd fix it or the errors would stop, but Favor/HEB are apparently run by apathetic morons who want to get fired or sleeper cell operatives from Whole Foods/Trade Joes/Randall's that have been activated and are putting their elaborate grocery insurgence into effect.

Of the others, it's at least one bag, and a couple of times two to three bags, of undelivered items. Or someone else's shit.

Even sent a email via the website several weeks ago letting them know they really needed to tighten things up. Apparently that just made me a marked man.

Because the coup de grace was today, when I headed home at lunch to meet the delivery driver who confirmed delivery about one minute after I walked in and yes, you guessed it playing along at home, not a single bag of groceries was delivered. Kids arriving tomorrow, shit I gotta do today, my girl working on long-ass projects and they fucked it.

I told them via phone to record my fucking call for training purposes and please have it reviewed by management for "quality purposes" and I kindly let them know the Favor/HEB system - at least in our area - is beyond fucked.

So Viva Fiesta Mart or Asian Mart or wherever the fuck I'll be shopping now because Favor/HEB can suck a listeria-soaked dick.

Username, etc.

3 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself.  Yeah, going to the store sucks, but relying on people to get your groceries for you and do it correctly is a fool's errand.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself.  Yeah, going to the store sucks, but relying on people to get your groceries for you and do it correctly is a fool's errand.

I agree with you now, but he's right about how much it has degraded in the last year or so.  I see it at our HEB.  Last time we got curbside we got one whole pork loin, not the two tenderloins we ordered, along with two or three random things we didn't order, and missing a couple of things we did order.  I'm going in from now on.

I'll also add that HEB needs to teach their baggers how to bag groceries.  We use reusable bags, including a couple of insulated ones.  I have to tell the baggers to put the cold items in the insulated bags.  If I don't, they'll put canned goods and boxes in the insulated bags and milk and ice cream in regular bags.  And more than once I have pulled bars of soap or raw meat out of a bag with veggies.  I have to be "that asshole" and tell them how to bag  everything or I'll get food poisoning, or get home with totally melted ice cream.  Infuriating.

• Rage+1 2

There's a bakery near my office, been there for 75+ years. They announced that they're closing their doors next month. The 4th gen owner said he's done. I don't go there every day but it was so nice to have a place that I could stop in real quick and grab breakfast on a friday. Fuck.

• Like 3

Makes me surly because it reminds me of all the business pricks I've run into over the years. I don't wish anyone's death and feel horrible for the other people on the sub and hope they are rescued. But I hope the CEO who ignored all the warnings is contemplating his asshole-ness. https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/20/a-whistleblower-raised-safety-concerns-about-oceangates-submersible-in-2018-then-he-was-fired/?fbclid=IwAR1Ys5XCY6VQY-GYxJOoL5vsYFfHkh8tFFVZswo8qXxL2o89wHxcis8pKrg 

TLDR; the CEO of the Oceangate was warned 5 years ago that the sub going to the Titanic was not safe. He said he didn't care and he didn't see any need to test it because he was smarter than every engineer that designed subs. Then fired the guy who told him and sued him to shut him up.

• Rage+1 1

What was so special about the car that you had to order one? Boomer talk warning: I remember when I was a kid and the dealerships had giant books with every drivetrain/interior/styling option available and you could really order exactly the car you wanted and they’d build it for you. A bunch of one off muscle cars and ridiculously horsepowered station wagons and family sedans running around.
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

What was so special about the car that you had to order one? Boomer talk warning: I remember when I was a kid and the dealerships had giant books with every drivetrain/interior/styling option available and you could really order exactly the car you wanted and they’d build it for you. A bunch of one off muscle cars and ridiculously horsepowered station wagons and family sedans running around.

Nothing particularly special really. It just seems to be a different world of car buying these days. Have you walked on a lot and tried to buy a new Tahoe or Yukon? The inventory just isn’t there. Some dealerships have them and jack the price way up above MSRP. Sewell’s policy is to never charge above MSRP for a new model, but basically that means they never have one on the lot that isn’t already spoken for.

The day I ordered mine a year ago (which required no deposit down, so no risk) I was still comfortable driving my old one for awhile.  They had a pre-owned 2022 model with 6k miles on it that they had priced at roughly $12k more than I was going to pay for the new one. I just had the patience and ability to wait. I guarantee they sold that one within days of me seeing it though.  There seem to be plenty of trucks available and maybe even sedans, but with my family and needs, that’s just not what I wanted or need. 

Edited by Frank The Tank
Clarification
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Crapinon said:

Makes me surly because it reminds me of all the business pricks I've run into over the years. I don't wish anyone's death and feel horrible for the other people on the sub and hope they are rescued. But I hope the CEO who ignored all the warnings is contemplating his asshole-ness. https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/20/a-whistleblower-raised-safety-concerns-about-oceangates-submersible-in-2018-then-he-was-fired/?fbclid=IwAR1Ys5XCY6VQY-GYxJOoL5vsYFfHkh8tFFVZswo8qXxL2o89wHxcis8pKrg 

TLDR; the CEO of the Oceangate was warned 5 years ago that the sub going to the Titanic was not safe. He said he didn't care and he didn't see any need to test it because he was smarter than every engineer that designed subs. Then fired the guy who told him and sued him to shut him up.

That's just Darwin man.

On 6/20/2023 at 2:03 PM, gofuckyourself said:

We had a few similar issues with Kroger and Tom Thumb. Now we do the drive up for Target, usually 2-3 times a week. That gets us all our canned goods, laundry detergent, ect. They'll miss stuff every once in a while, but not often. Then I go to Market Street/Trader Joes for meats, fruits and veggies. I never really liked the idea of someone else choosing which steak was marbled enough or how old (or green) the bananas were. Stuff like that. Seems to work for us pretty well.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

We had a few similar issues with Kroger and Tom Thumb. Now we do the drive up for Target, usually 2-3 times a week. That gets us all our canned goods, laundry detergent, ect. They'll miss stuff every once in a while, but not often. Then I go to Market Street/Trader Joes for meats, fruits and veggies. I never really liked the idea of someone else choosing which steak was marbled enough or how old (or green) the bananas were. Stuff like that. Seems to work for us pretty well.

This.  Curbside for staples and shit they can't really fuck up.  Central Market/Whole Foods (usually CM these days) for meats and produce.

• Hook 'Em 1

My in laws can't figure out what is recyclable, let alone the different bins for trash, recycling, and compost.  I'd rather them just put everything on the floor and let me sort it out because there is nothing more infuriating than having to fix all the things they did wrong.

I've been trying to teach them the recycling guidelines for 10 years.  It's just not happening.  I don't understand it.  It's not hard.  Their brains are broken.

My in laws can't figure out what is recyclable, let alone the different bins for trash, recycling, and compost.  I'd rather them just put everything on the floor and let me sort it out because there is nothing more infuriating than having to fix all the things they did wrong.
I've been trying to teach them the recycling guidelines for 10 years.  It's just not happening.  I don't understand it.  It's not hard.  Their brains are broken.

They just don’t GAF. They’d learn and remember it if it mattered to them.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I do love having only the two bins, personally.  Trash and recycle.  And recycle has the list of items they won't take on the lid, but still doesn't stop the wife from putting things in there that aren't approved.  I can only imagine how bad it would be with the three-bin system in Austin.

• Like 1

I don't know about Austin, but in Houston it doesn't matter what you put in the trash and what you put in recycling because it all goes to the same landfill
Yep. I've seen people post videos of the same garbage truck pick up the regular dumpster and the recycle dumpster and dump it into the same truck. And even if separate trucks pick it up, is it really getting recycled?

Big corporations do most of the polluting and waste around the world but they try and shame people who drive in a car and don't recycle their few bottles like they are the ones causing the problems.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don't know about Austin, but in Houston it doesn't matter what you put in the trash and what you put in recycling because it all goes to the same landfill

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. I've seen people post videos of the same garbage truck pick up the regular dumpster and the recycle dumpster and dump it into the same truck. And even if separate trucks pick it up, is it really getting recycled?

Big corporations do most of the polluting and waste around the world but they try and shame people who drive in a car and don't recycle their few bottles like they are the ones causing the problems.

Austin actually does recycle.

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Neighbors that borrow a lawnmower and / or power washer and return them with a less-than-full tank of gas.  

That would piss me off. When we travel on vacation, we often borrow my MIL's CRV since its bigger than my wife's car, but gets alot better gas millage than my Durango. When we bring it back, I get it detailed, fill up the gas and if it's close to time to do it, change the oil. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1