Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

What could go wrong?  Hackers could start a nuclear war I guess.  Honestly, this is on his handlers.  Why the fuck are they THAT bad at basic tech security?  Fucking 2FA at the VERY LEAST.  We are led by the worst combination of old people with infantile tendencies and a complete lack of understanding of any real issues facing the country in a global economy.

14 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

He can’t pardon himself but more importantly, he can’t pardon anyone from state law crimes. His criminal brood should be fine but he wont. He will be a fugitive from justice until the day he finally dies. 

That day he finally dies should immediately be declared a national holiday. 

ACB during her confirmation hearings refused to state whether a President has the power to pardon himself.  I agree with others here that a President who can pardon themselves is a King.  Thus, if we are to remain a republic, this HAS to be illegal.  I think it IS illegal.  But it HAS to be.  The fact that she weasels out of giving an answer is chilling.

1 minute ago, 27-25 said:

ACB during her confirmation hearings refused to state whether a President has the power to pardon himself.  I agree with others here that a President who can pardon themselves is a King.  Thus, if we are to remain a republic, this HAS to be illegal.  I think it IS illegal.  But it HAS to be.  The fact that she weasels out of giving an answer is chilling.

Trump is gonna pardon himself, and when it starts to wind through the courts, well, there's a 6-3 backstop waiting for him.

That has to be the real reason he needs her on the court now.

3 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

FYI, Trump can pardon himself in terms of announcing it, or signing a piece of paper. That announcement would most likely not kick off a SCOTUS decision on its own. Whether or not it's valid only matter if the DOJ wants to prosecute him. Then it would most likely be taken (ultimately) to the SCOTUS to decide. 

draining the swamp not going well:

CNN reported Tuesday evening that, according to a number of senior administration officials, the White House is urging the Pentagon to fast track “what would essentially be a no-bid contract to lease the Department of Defense's mid-band spectrum—premium real estate for the booming and lucrative 5G market—to Rivada Networks, a company in which prominent Republicans and supporters of President Donald Trump have investments.” Among those stakeholders is Fox News commentator and GOP strategist Karl Rove, who is also a lobbyist for Rivada. Rove apparently encouraged Trump to pursue the bid, a deal that one administration official said would likely be “the biggest handoff of economic power to a single entity in history” and that a Pentagon official called “an absolute gold mine.” (Rove denied that the company is pursuing a non-competitive RFP or any non-competitive process.)

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10/trump-pentagon-5g-deal-karl-rove-peter-thiel

3 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

928f3c39d57e7b4b91dfb4f7008a0fc1.jpg

The Republican Party had “eagerly surrendered its self-respect” in the Trump era, Will lamented, warning that “having hitched its wagon to a plummeting cinder” it “is about to have a rendezvous with a surly electorate wielding a truncheon

Inexplicably, in a final display of loyalty to his beloved GOP, Mike Pence exhorted  his colleagues to flee.

Pence: "Save yourselves gentleman, I will stand between the surly electorate and our cherished beliefs. Go forth and continue our valiant pursuit of white supremacy. My fate will be determined by God alone:

Also Mike Pence: " Ok boys, now that they are gone lets get down to business. Say, how many speeds does that thing have, anyway? Goddamnit Lindsey get in line."

842ce9ae457fa811ff7e32a4a3599acd.jpg

Edited by Blotto

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Meanwhile, I'm waiting on a gov't facility to find 2 more bids to wire up 20 network drops so we can find out if we can do the roughly $5k worth of work.  An open competitive bid on a contract that size will likely take a year, so Rove et al are lying if they think it can happen any other way than a non-compete prior to January.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

He thinks this will make him look good? He looks like the crazy uncle ranting about conspiracy theories. People that watch 60 Minutes but don’t follow what’s in the insane right wing bubble are going to be very confused. 

I'll catch it on Sunday. Does he say anything crazy? 

7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Let me be candid and honest here my man. I cannot be sympathetic to your comments because this is how adult life has always been. From the moment I stepped out of my home and headed off to college I have always been a small percentage of the population. Outside of Atlanta, the more money you make, the further away from the Black Community you are, and it happens really quickly. Every job you take. Every community you move to. Every school your kid goes to. All the same. So you have two choices. Make people walk on eggshells around you at the office all day long, or crack a couple Black jokes and watch the "oh, I can kinda be myself around this one" expressions as nervous laughter turns to comfortable over time.

This may not seem ideal from the outside looking in, but it's how we have to operate if we wanna break the color lines for the next generation. As a Black guy out here you realize pretty quick that you are "the Black friend" to your White coworkers, neighbors, and your kid's friend's parents. So in the interest of civility you go out of your way to make everyone in the presence of you comfortable with you, as you are the outlier to their otherwise regular existence.

If there is one thing Trump has shown me it's this. People can say it's tax cuts. People can say whatever they want. But for a large majority Trump is protecting their fragile view of what America is supposed to be. Where certain demographics are supposed to be in the pecking order, and where they are supposed to live. That is why they can excuse all the bullshit. All the rhetoric. All the illegal activities, and efforts to turn the US into a dictatorship. They want to make sure they don't have to walk outside and look around and see faces that don't look like theirs. They don't want to deal with other cultures. They don't want to have to watch the things they say, or think about how they are offending someone. For a lot it's not so much racism as it is an aversion to tolerism. Trump embodies anti tolerism and they love him for it. Thus they will follow him anywhere, even to the depths of hell.

Man, no one prepared me for this reality and it definitely affected my mental health at first. Having a Black mentor or colleague that's familiar with that life take you under their wing is crucial.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I can't wait to watch it on Sunday. Of course he's going to be upset that he wasn't given Fox News softball questions teed up so he can play the hits. Anything that runs counter to his programming is "unfair". The only people that will find Stahl "unfair" are his base.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mdmost said:

I can't wait to watch it on Sunday. Of course he's going to be upset that he wasn't given Fox News softball questions teed up so he can play the hits. Anything that runs counter to his programming is "unfair". The only people that will find Stahl "unfair" are his base.

They are softball questions though. For anyone with a working brain.  He just doesn't want to answer them and wants her to ask about Hunter and Obamagate and tell him how great he has done on Covid.

Edited by 4th&Five

8 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Thatguy spitting truth on this thread.  It's a shitty truth, and I'm sorry it's the truth, but it's the truth.

However, you hear their thoughts and feelings. You hear the comments and slurs. You hear their fears and see their fragility. You make up the majority in this country, and it does not change until YOU say it changes. So to answer your question the best thing you can do is be our voice when we aren't around. Don't attack, but tell your barbershop story when someone has something negative to say about Black People. Make them understand that their world view is going the way of the dinosaur even in their own communities. After that, do what you are doing now. Vote in people who will pursue equality. Black people don't want handouts. We will pull ourselves out one generation at a time.

fuck its frustrating. That request is so f'n simple. It should be the bare minimum standard of conduct for people just based on decency. Yet the country struggles with just that simple request. Decades go by. 

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

I'll tell you the #1 reason I'm voting for Joe Biden: empathy. I miss having a President that truly gave a shit what people were going through. Compare Trump's reactions to disasters with that of Obama or W. I want someone who will be the nation's ideal father again. Sadly, I think we got someone who speaks for a lot of the nation's fathers. The nation's ugly, hate-filled, Facebook/Fox News bubble dads that you find yourself visiting less and less. 

That stuff is all fine and good and I agree but at this point I would settle for having a president who makes it possible go several weeks without knowing or caring what they're doing. 

Edited by Continental Op
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Let me first answer the question in bold.  In my best Joe Biden voice, "Now here is the deal..."

I am not uncomfortable with that at all. Code switching is part of my DNA. Walking into a room and seeing people feel uncomfortable is part of my DNA. It's kind of like being a father and walking into a room where your kid and their friends are and it goes silent. It's just kind of expected at this point. I will tell you what is exhausting. Knowing that you have a different standard of conduct in the workplace, especially with people working under you. No matter how long you've been there, and how long you've been nice, the moment you show any anger your name might as well be Tyrone Jackson and you have corn rows. Lol.

But let's get to the real meat and potatoes of what you are asking. Racism is really not a fight for Black America. What I mean by that is we can protest and open your eyes to systemic issues, but past that point it's really up to you for these reasons. We are far to few at only 13% of the population. As such, most White Americans goes days without really spending any time more than simply passing by a Black person during their daily grind. In the few instances they do come across us, they are careful about what they say, and so no real honest dialogue is being had.

However, you hear their thoughts and feelings. You hear the comments and slurs. You hear their fears and see their fragility. You make up the majority in this country, and it does not change until YOU say it changes. So to answer your question the best thing you can do is be our voice when we aren't around. Don't attack, but tell your barbershop story when someone has something negative to say about Black People. Make them understand that their world view is going the way of the dinosaur even in their own communities. After that, do what you are doing now. Vote in people who will pursue equality. Black people don't want handouts. We will pull ourselves out one generation at a time.

I'm truly glad you have been so open in this thread. I think it's stuff everyone needs to hear.

One of the ironies of life in this country and around the world I've seen is what you alluded to earlier, where the further up and afield you have gone into the more supposedly "enlightened" group , the more uncomfortable things can get. Not being a black guy, I can't speak to it in the way you can, but as a white observer, and a life long construction worker, a lot of the weirdness of the middle class seems missing in daily interactions with the working class. Now this isn't to say things are any better, whatever better means, but it's things are much more open. There's not the pregnant pauses and uncomfortable silences and interactions. I'm not sure where I'm going with this or what it means, but it's always something that struck me. Being in the suburbs, and people who consider themselves respectable members of society and still harbor such notions was always really jarring.

Edited by G650
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sounds like Stahl interviewed him the way he should be interviewed. When he spews nonsense, say "You're spewing nonsense". 

And when he does the passive aggressive move of following an accusation with "I don't know" respond with "it's your job to know, Shit for Brains" and a head slap.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I'm all about the work Lincoln Project folks have been doing, but I'm pretty sure those associated with it wanted to get rid of Obamacare at one time as well.

most of them probably still do. Also this cant be the first time Trump is on camera stating he wants obamacare abolished. If you even remotely care about health care issues in this country, you already know Trump's position. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I'm all about the work Lincoln Project folks have been doing, but I'm pretty sure those associated with it wanted to get rid of Obamacare at one time as well.

Rommel was a Nazi General, but he'll forever be known for trying to kill Hitler. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Let me first answer the question in bold.  In my best Joe Biden voice, "Now here is the deal..."

I am not uncomfortable with that at all. Code switching is part of my DNA. Walking into a room and seeing people feel uncomfortable is part of my DNA. It's kind of like being a father and walking into a room where your kid and their friends are and it goes silent. It's just kind of expected at this point. I will tell you what is exhausting. Knowing that you have a different standard of conduct in the workplace, especially with people working under you. No matter how long you've been there, and how long you've been nice, the moment you show any anger your name might as well be Tyrone Jackson and you have corn rows. Lol.

But let's get to the real meat and potatoes of what you are asking. Racism is really not a fight for Black America. What I mean by that is we can protest and open your eyes to systemic issues, but past that point it's really up to you for these reasons. We are far to few at only 13% of the population. As such, most White Americans goes days without really spending any time more than simply passing by a Black person during their daily grind. In the few instances they do come across us, they are careful about what they say, and so no real honest dialogue is being had.

Dude, your posts, and forthrightness, are much appreciated.

But, what are we supposed to do if, say, we definitely have some black friends, and are totally not racists?  Asking for.....damned near every white person I've ever heard speak on the subject.

No matter what the issue, the shutdown is consistent and utterly predictable -- "well.....I'M not racist."  Which, to most people, just making that conclusory statement absolves them of any responsibility, past, present, or future.  And that fucking sucks.  And I'm sorry for being part of a social system that perpetuates it.