Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

10 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Sort of.  Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) pays Social Security benefits to people who are disabled if they worked for long enough and paid enough money into Social Security to qualify.  Supplemental Security income (SSI) is disability payments to people who have not paid enough into Social Security to qualify for SSDI and comes out of general funds.

Thanks.  I wasn't quite sure.  The qualifying process (making a claim) is the same or about the same, yes?

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep, I have a young nephew that's applying for jobs.  In addition to all the other miscellaneous shit that is done over the internet these days, it's nigh impossible to apply for a job without email and the internet and a cheap smartphone is more fiscally practical than WIFI and a computer.  If nephew walks into a place to apply for a job, they always send him to the internet.  He can't even really follow up on an online application in person.  It's kind of amazing.

What's stopping these so called poor people from taking the bus to the public library that MY tax dollars pay for, applying on their public computers, and then going home and waiting next to the landline for a call?  

I don't actually think the above is reasonable, but I've heard it argued during the "Obamaphone" crisis several years ago.

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

What's stopping these so called poor people from taking the bus to the public library that MY tax dollars pay for, applying on their public computers, and then going home and waiting next to the landline for a call?  

I don't actually think the above is reasonable, but I've heard it argued during the "Obamaphone" crisis several years ago.

Sort of in their defense, the olds that make this argument don't know much about using smartphones and how you could actually do work on them.  They just read fox news and facebook.  

Nor do they understand how the internet has really taken over daily life.  They still call support lines and stuff.

I am pretty smartphone literate, but was a bit taken aback at how ubiquitous and exclusive online job applications were.

Edited by TwiceHorn

They also assume that every poor person lives in an area with public transportation, which is why rural areas are using telehealth as Miss Nurse from West Vahgenyah told America last night during the convention. I have also lived in a community where the library budget was bundled with the parks department and unfortunately the sports mad parents preferred baseball fields to books so the library was underwhelming. Someone that needed to use the library for career building or job seeking would probably find it beneficial to scrounge up a tent and camp nearby. The gap between subsisting and building a life with plans for the future is a day to day struggle with each task taking longer and longer because of the gaps in services. We should ALL be furious at the stock buybacks and golden parachutes and insider trading because the majority of us (including those on welfare) are not defrauding the government. We are being used BY the government to build the wealth of the 1%: with our labor, with our tax dollars, and with our lives. How much money could have been spent on fixing the roads instead of a wall? Or streamlining immigration paperwork so labor had a path to legal citizenship?

All I see from Alex Azar to Jared Kushner to Steve Mnuchin to the gun couple in St Louis is 'what is mine is mine and what is yours is mine too.' and I'm fed up with it. Take my tax dollars but tax those bastards much greater and give it to the masses in ways that benefit them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

SSI is where "disablity" comes from, is it not?

Well, my sister was conceived/born with her disability (a 24th chromosome), but I suppose some people get theirs from the Supplemental Security Income.  

Kind of a "you get what you're paid for" type of deal, no?  I mean, you ring them up and ask for supplemental security income, of course you're gonna end up with a disability.  ;) 

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Not really, no.  My older sister receives SSI payments each month for the last several years.  She is not an "old poor."  But yes, it does come from general revenue/DE.  

You are incorrect.  I don’t know what your older sister is on, but SSI is for people over 65 on limited income, disabled, or blind, per Social Security  (SSI). You are correct about the funding stream.  SSDI is funded differently from SSI (via the payroll tax).

This speaks to part of the problem with Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, SSI. Americans don’t really understand their entitlement and safety net system. At all. They love it and hate it at the same time, mostly because they are ignorant about both it’s resources, formulas, and management. 

Edited by Bateshorn

I was just attempting to connect the literal meaning of the question "is (blank) where disability comes from?"  As in, you go to this place and get disabled.  Shitty attempt at levity.  You are correct though, you know your stuff. 

My sister, due to Down's Syndrome though, does receive a check each month titled "SSI" from the "SSA."  I don't know what to tell you.  She's been getting that type since she stopped working for health reasons years ago.    And I do know that it is still means tested.  When she worked part-time at grocery stores and as an office helper, anything with a corporate payroll...her government check got dinged.  I make a non-taxable irrevocable gift to her each year of a few thousand dollars so she can buy CD's and go to the movies and go out to dinner with her friends and bowl and shit.  But her main check is SSI and is means tested.  She is not 65 and certainly falls under the income threshold.  There's a whole other SSA bowl of shit to deal with my sister if my mother should pass away before her.  

Anyway, what the fuck were we talking about?  Oh yeah, Eric Trump should probably qualify for my sister's program.  

43 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

You are incorrect.  I don’t know what your older sister is on, but SSI is for people over 65 on limited income, disabled, or blind, per Social Security  (SSI). You are correct about the funding stream.  SSDI is funded differently from SSI (via the payroll tax).

This speaks to part of the problem with Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, SSI. Americans don’t really understand their entitlement and safety net system. At all. They love it and hate it at the same time, mostly because they are ignorant about both it’s resources, formulas, and management. 

SSI is also for people who are disabled, even if under 65.

44 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I was just attempting to connect the literal meaning of the question "is (blank) where disability comes from?"  As in, you go to this place and get disabled.  Shitty attempt at levity.  You are correct though, you know your stuff. 

My sister, due to Down's Syndrome though, does receive a check each month titled "SSI" from the "SSA."  I don't know what to tell you.  She's been getting that type since she stopped working for health reasons years ago.    And I do know that it is still means tested.  When she worked part-time at grocery stores and as an office helper, anything with a corporate payroll...her government check got dinged.  I make a non-taxable irrevocable gift to her each year of a few thousand dollars so she can buy CD's and go to the movies and go out to dinner with her friends and bowl and shit.  But her main check is SSI and is means tested.  She is not 65 and certainly falls under the income threshold.  There's a whole other SSA bowl of shit to deal with my sister if my mother should pass away before her.  

Anyway, what the fuck were we talking about?  Oh yeah, Eric Trump should probably qualify for my sister's program.  

Yea, my wife’s niece gets SSI for social anxiety disorder.  It’s complete bullshit, but she got someone to buy off on it and has been sucking the gov’t teat for free money since she was like 19. 

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My position on Social security has been the same for 20 years:

1) Remove the cap

2) Reduce the rate

3) Convert to means tested welfare that phases out at some multiple of the poverty level and drop the charade that it's a pension. 

You'd have to grandfather out #3.  I'm sorry, but it's wrong to expect people to plan for their retirement benefits to not exist when they are told that they will exist.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You'd have to grandfather out #3.  I'm sorry, but it's wrong to expect people to plan for their retirement benefits to not exist when they are told that they will exist.

Also, how do you calculate income for people who don't (or rig it so they don't) have a regular income?  Last year's tax return? A five-year average? Or base it on wealth and impute an income?

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Completely agree. I think you’d have a calculated sliding scale benefit based on some birth year and net worth. 

On 8/25/2020 at 9:53 AM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I would be in the same boat except some of those leopards ate my face people are my family, that I'd be on the hook for supporting, with the retirement money I've been saving assuming they'd figure out a way to pull the SS rug out from under my generation before we could actually use it.  No thanks.  I don't want to spend my retirement on my family.

Revert back with “I got mine, fuck you.”

Only MAGA geniuses would be all "BIDEN AMERICA" for shit happening on Trump's watch. How fuckin stupid do you have to be to be sold on this shit?

I'm starting to think social media should be flooded with nothing but educational videos about...everything.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is it just me, or has the federal govt especially FEMA been very quiet about Hurricane Laura? I assume they're going to provide aid.

They are waiting for the LA and TX governors to publicly beg and thank Trump for providing it.

Remember, Trump, not the USA, owns FEMA.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The placard on the left looks to be California, site of a million (seems like) blazes. Guess Texas is on tap for paper towels (for mopping) and California, if mentioned at all, gets some rakes? Newsom has been trying to hold the largest populated state together through some pretty crazy times. It's going to forge him or melt him that is for sure.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
spelling

20 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

i hate white people

the dudley and bob with matt show did a thing about rap commercials in the 90s. this atrocity is right up there with those. white people (and i'm the whitest of white people according to 23&me) are the worst sometimes.