Sarah Huckabee Sanders is terrible at this job

retread

28 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

Regarding the maga hats, what if a patron was wearing a Republican party shirt that did not reference Trump?  Someone many find that offensive these days; would that be sufficient for refusing service or do you think an owner would be out of line for tossing someone over that?

Regarding informing family members to keep political shit to themselves, I think there is a time for that and certain lines that need to be drawn if they bring it up relentlessly, but I think politely but firmly engaging is the better option.  It's not likely that you will change their mind, but it is good for them to see that there are good people who simply don't see things the way they do.  I don't think we should be encouraging shunning and isolation; this only entrenches people and makes it easier for each side to vilify the other.  

As to the Republican party shirt that didn't reference Trump, if I were a restaurant owner I don't see myself telling someone they have to remove it or leave, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it would be unethical. As to whether that would be "out of line," to me it would probably depend on what kind of business we're talking about and who the clientele/employees are. If someone wears a pro-GOP t-shirt and gets turned away by the bouncer at a NYC gay bar then that doesn't seem out of line at all, the t-shirt wearer is the one who is out of line. If it's a gas station in LA and they're telling someone they can't fill up because of their GOP t-shirt (or damn near any t-shirt), I would personally consider that unreasonable.

With the family member thing, I was kind of building in the assumption that reasoning with them had previously been tried and failed. And that it would also naturally be a part of whatever discussion there would be about actually you are not invited to Thanksgiving this year. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say people have some moral/ethical obligation to do that. Biting your tongue while relatives say reprehensible/racist shit is a longstanding Thanksgiving tradition in itself, after all. But I wouldn't blame anyone who did, either.

Edited by Thermos H. Christ

7 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Wake me up when white fraternity guys wearing MAGA hats ironically and unironically are going to start getting refused to be served at the Panama City Wafflehouse and Plano Mi Cocina’s.

Joking aside, I’m sure you would be refused service in Austin if you wore a MAGA hat at a number of places.

I went on a fishing/camping trip down on Matagorda back in April.  One of the younger guys (early 30's) wore his NRA hat (although his membership had lapsed).  Proceeded to tell us a story about how he was accosted by a woman in a bar in Houston, no less.  He seemed surprised that wearing that hat might draw some ire.  I appreciated it though, just like I appreciate those confederate flags/caps-really takes a lot of the guess work out of the equation.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wearing a MAGA hat in public is dumber than wearing a jersey in public.

Politics are not a sport's team. Also, grown human beings in jerseys is stupid. Therefore, stupidity.

Kind of the whole disease we see in our voters/media/political class. Too many think the political process is about something other than the real consequences of policy (and rhetoric) in the real lives of human beings, and it really shows.

36 minutes ago, zork said:

Understood.  I'm not questioning the legality of the issue; I am interested in learning if THC et alia believes that it would be beneficial for service business to refuse service to those who publicly identify as republican via clothing, bumper stickers, &c.

36 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Just to be clear though - refusing Sanders service =/= refusing service based on political affiliation. It is refusing Sanders service on the basis of who she is specifically, herself, publicly.

We can exclude her case from the discussion; I've asked the general question on this thread because the general issue was brought by others and it seemed to be the place for it.

17 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

As to the Republican party shirt that didn't reference Trump, if I were a restaurant owner I don't see myself telling someone they have to remove it or leave, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it would be unethical. As to whether that would be "out of line," to me it would probably depend on what kind of business we're talking about and who the clientele/employees are. If someone wears a pro-GOP t-shirt and gets turned away by the bouncer at a NYC gay bar then that doesn't seem out of line at all, the t-shirt wearer is the one who is out of line. If it's a gas station and they're telling someone they can't fill up because of their GOP t-shirt (or damn near any t-shirt), I would personally consider that unreasonable.

With the family member thing, I was kind of building in the assumption that reasoning with them had previously been tried and failed. And that it would also naturally be a part of whatever discussion there would be about actually you are not invited to Thanksgiving this year. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say people have some moral/ethical obligation to do that Biting your tongue while relatives say reprehensible/racist shit is a Thanksgiving tradition in itself, after all. But I don't think it's going too far either.

I think in some extreme cases where simply wearing a political identification shirt could be considered open provocation to the other patrons, then an owner is justified in asking them to leave.  But I think those cases are few and far between.   I think its better to treat people with respect & civility even if they are a little bonkers.  

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Kind of the whole disease we see in our voters/media/political class. Too many think the political process is about something other than the real consequences of policy (and rhetoric) in the real lives of human beings, and it really shows.

It’s the demoralizing effect.  We had several elections cycles where many people felt it didn’t matter who you voted for, it wasn’t going to change your life or effect you in a serious way.  Or there wasn’t too much difference between democrats or republicans, they both suck.

Combined with a Congress that spends more time creating problems than solving them and you get what we have now.

A politically uneducated and apathetic population. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Politics are not a sport's team. Also, grown human beings in jerseys is stupid. Therefore, stupidity.

I have not worn a jersey since my playing days. I am seriously considering buying and  wearing a Kaepernick jersey for deer camp this year. Game time decision.

“I’m a grown man.  I’m (over) 40!”

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Joking aside, I’m sure you would be refused service in Austin if you wore a MAGA hat at a number of places.

After the Red Hen vs Sanders event, I thought that somebody could use a MAGA hat to get a lot of free half-meals at different restaurants.

You wouldn't show the hat until after you've received your food. You eat half, put the hat on, in theory, leave politely, shown out by the owner with no bill to pay.

Downside is you'd have to go find a MAGA hat, then 9 times out of 10 you'd just sit there eating with everybody wondering why you're wearing a MAGA hat.

I'd wear a pirate hat, sure. Is that an option? Hell, pirates don't ask permission. Forget I said that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd like for someone to name these Austin restaurants that would likely refuse service to anyone wearing a MAGA hat, disregarding higher end establishments which would ask you to remove any hat regardless of what it represents.

Chuy's?  No way.

Rudy's?  No way.

Kerbey Lane?  No way.

Mother's?  Nah.

Hopdoddy?  Are you kidding?

It just wouldn't happen.  I hope somebody tries it.  Most restaurants just want their $$$.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I would avoid wearing your MAGA gear to many of the taquerias with which I am familiar.

Just my personal recommendation, as a man who likes his tacos free of other folks' bodily fluids.

Yeah. Washing hands after visits to the baño optional when serving the MAGA crowd.

I imagine they've ingested a ton of feces and urine since November 2016.

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Not even close. 

When was the last time you went to a summer music festival? Those throwback jerseys are on fire - and can help you close some hot ass girls. 

MAGA hat on the other hand makes you look like an obese, backwoods hick.

20 hours ago, Js1 said:

Generally the one's who wear MAGA hats are also the same ones who pay for Yeti and Costa stickers for their vehicles. You're a consumer.. yay?

21 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Just to be clear though - refusing Sanders service =/= refusing service based on political affiliation. It is refusing Sanders service on the basis of who she is specifically, herself, publicly.

No it isn't. She chose to be a Republican.

A black, brown or gay person did not choose who they are.

Big difference.

Her rudeness toward Acosta is Trumpesque. Launch an insult from a spot where the person cannot respond. She wouldn't think for a second to insult his intelligence were they having a private, face-to-face conversation. 

"You don't understand even though I'm speaking in short sentences."

"Try making a few of those short sentences true, Sarah."

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So it turns out I still can't see imgur files like 3 months after this issue was discovered.  Is there a decoder ring or are we still discouraged from posting busted-ass images?

Here; a non Imgur link for everyone (and for this page):

DhnyvF4W0AEoLRt.jpg

Bad_teammate had it first.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 4/10/2018 at 1:48 PM, retread said:

One of these reporters is going to lose it eventually

0ARSTZ4Q_o.gif

No they fucking won't. They'll *concern-face* as the White House spokesperson reads the latest count from the extermination camps and then write thinkpieces about how leftists are making it hard for compromise to happen.

19 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

No they fucking won't. They'll *concern-face* as the White House spokesperson reads the latest count from the extermination camps and then write thinkpieces about how leftists are making it hard for compromise to happen.

Frustrating, isn't it?

They only really have 2 options:

1)  Dignified "concern-face," as you put it, while they are being fed outrageous lies on a daily basis.  Rely on the public to identify the countless lies and inconsistencies.  

2)  call her out with a much-deserved screaming rant about being a lying, dishonest piece of shit.  It would be fun to see an Iraq-style shoe-fling, but it would validate to Fox News and the entire Trumpkin base that the media is the unfair one in the room.  

There's very little ground for respectful push-back when the liar has the microphone, control of the floor, and the ability to ban not just you, but your entire network.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Frustrating, isn't it?

1)  Dignified "concern-face," as you put it, while they are being fed outrageous lies on a daily basis.  Rely on the public to identify the countless lies and inconsistencies.  

2)  call her out with a much-deserved screaming rant about being a lying, dishonest piece of shit.  It would be fun to see an Iraq-style shoe-fling, but it would validate to Fox News and the entire Trumpkin base that the media is the unfair one in the room.  

There's very little ground for respectful push-back when the liar has the microphone, control of the floor, and the ability to ban not just you, but your entire network.

And the lack of action on the media's part has gotten them how far with Trump and his horde of braying morons? Nothing.

This is the thing centrists and liberals do not understand about who they are dealing with. Centrist/liberal silence is seen as a weakness, not a grand, noble willingness to compromise. With people like Trump and his followers, it is nothing but war.

W, Romney, McCain, it's different. But with Trump, it's fucking war whether the centrists and libs want to admit it or not.

• Like 2

And the lack of action on the media's part has gotten them how far with Trump and his horde of braying morons? Nothing.
This is the thing centrists and liberals do not understand about who they are dealing with. Centrist/liberal silence is seen as a weakness, not a grand, noble willingness to compromise. With people like Trump and his followers, it is nothing but war.
W, Romney, McCain, it's different. But with Trump, it's fucking war whether the centrists and libs want to admit it or not.

Yep. No more high road. The only way to win is to fight dirty. I wish it hadn’t come to that, but I think it has. If r’s keep control of Congress after 2018, it definitely has.

14 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Frustrating, isn't it?

They should stop going to the briefings.  SHS is only lying anyway, so other than pointing out her lies, there's nothing that the American people need to know from the so-called "press conferences."