Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, MC Fresh Breath said:

I was just wondering.  Wasn't really making a point in relationship to the other discussion going on.

there has been speculation that there are multiple strains but I haven't seen anything confirmed.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I think when it's all said and done we'll find out that TX and many other states implemented their shutdowns too early / aggressively.  

I think this may end up being right for a lot of places.  But of course we were completely flying blind from a testing standpoint.   I think most of Texas could open back up right now on a limited basis if we had more tests with a rapid turnaround time.  And the reality is I think we'll almost certainly see some restrictions loosened before we have adequate testing.  I'll be pretty shocked if everything is still in place by May 4th state wide at this point.  And it seems like as soon as hospitals have secured excess PPE (no idea of status), they should start doing elective surgeries again to increase revenue.

Map of current per capita case count for Texas counties (click per capita button): https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/texas-coronavirus-cases.html

National per capita map: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

The Northeast is fucked, but rural areas of the Deep South aren't doing that great on a per capita basis.

Keep scrolling down to see where the rate of new cases is rising the quickest and it's mostly rural areas. Hopefully, that improves soon.

54 minutes ago, EE2B said:

In Arkansas, Baptist Health has either reduced the hours or furloughed approximately 2300 or their 11,000 employees. They’ve said of the 2300, approximately 200 are bedside care givers. They’ve also reported a 30% drop in revenues since the pandemic began.

if it is only 30% i would be totally shocked. guessing that is for their March numbers? assume their April is going to be even worse

(Baptist has like 12 hospitals state-wide and who knows how many docs)

damn. wonder how they are splitting it furlough wise between their rural facilities vs urban ones...

54 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you keep forgetting the churches in small towns! its the churches!  people in small towns can't not go to church or they have been told they will go to hell!  fucking rubes gonna kilt us awwlll!

eh, I live in a town with a sub 15k population and basically every church here has pivoted to streaming pretty easy. granted, some of them are much better than others but everyone is streaming here. even the tiny ones...

23 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Map of current per capita case count for Texas counties (click per capita button): https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/texas-coronavirus-cases.html

National per capita map: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

The Northeast is fucked, but rural areas of the Deep South aren't doing that great on a per capita basis.

Keep scrolling down to see where the rate of new cases is rising the quickest and it's mostly rural areas. Hopefully, that improves soon.

So the worst counties in per-capita infections have populations of:

25k, 8k, 57k, 36k, 327k, 34k, 3k, 21k, 2k, and 7k

This data can't be right, I was told that rural Texas was immune to the virus and that it only attacked hipsters who eat avocado toast in their condos.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 6

In on page 666.

A few weeks ago you couldn't go anywhere online without seeing the charts showing the exponential growth in the number of cases and number of deaths by country, state, etc.  I haven't seen any of those lately.  Why is that?

Because case plateaus and death counts on a downward slope aren’t sexy to look at.

Notice how none of us have posted Italy stats in a week+?

• Like 1

if it is only 30% i would be totally shocked. guessing that is for their March numbers? assume their April is going to be even worse
(Baptist has like 12 hospitals state-wide and who knows how many docs)
damn. wonder how they are splitting it furlough wise between their rural facilities vs urban ones...

I would assume it is based on their March numbers. I’m with you, I bet the actual number ends up much higher than 30%. The article is from April 11th.
Here is the full article:

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/apr/11/hospital-workers-see-drop-in-hours-2020/

40 minutes ago, bolverk said:

East Texas doing about as expected.  Of the top 10 cases per capita counties in Texas, 8 are east of the Brenham area.  

17 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Because case plateaus and death counts on a downward slope aren’t sexy to look at.

Or because social distancing is working as it has in other places in the world.  Just spitballing here.  

• Like 6

So the worst counties in per-capita infections have populations of:
25k, 8k, 57k, 36k, 327k, 34k, 3k, 21k, 2k, and 7k

This data can't be right, I was told that rural Texas was immune to the virus and that it only attacked hipsters who eat avocado toast in their condos.
Math is hard?

And for those who can't figure it out, this is why you don't use percentages as reliable statistics. In a town of 10 people, 1 sick person is 10% of the population. In a city of one million, 90,000 sick are only 9% of the population. Which one do you think has the bigger problem? It only makes sense to compare cities or counties with similar populations or density to see if one response tactic is having a better effect than another. For example, Austin and San Jose (CA) have similar populations, but we have fewer cases and deaths. Why?
  • Like 3

We are friends with a number of nurses and doctors and have been hearing the same.  It's been going on for a while.  At least one of the major Texas health chains is already sending out peer-reviews to evaluate layoffs after this is over.  They all probably will need to cut to some extent.  I think when it's all said and done we'll find out that TX and many other states implemented their shutdowns too early / aggressively.  ER trauma visits are way down as well, which is another revenue driver.

Counter-point: preventative measures like preventing sick people from congregating in large groups help decrease the rate of transmission. If you’re putting in preventative measures after this virus spreads throughout the community, then its too late.
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

In on page 666.

A few weeks ago you couldn't go anywhere online without seeing the charts showing the exponential growth in the number of cases and number of deaths by country, state, etc.  I haven't seen any of those lately.  Why is that?

the statisticians are all dead of the coronavirus, as the models predicted

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Well, I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.  I don't care about the morons.  They're unreachable.  They're gonna do what they're gonna do.  Telling them things are not all that bad when we have no information that suggests this is the case is just as likely to make things worse as it is to make them better.

Furthermore, past data fail to account for stressed healthcare facilities, which implies that the numbers are going to get WORSE, and soon.

Nope, I'll deal in the data as they are presented.  You're more than welcome to hope that the mortality growth rate suddenly declines just because it did in other countries (with their attendant sketchy reporting).  I'll just look at the curves, thank you very much. Accordingly, I'm calling for roughly 14,000 new deaths per day for the next 2 days, as we reach the goal I set for our country on April 1 of reaching 50,000 deaths by April 15. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.  I don't care about the morons.  They're unreachable.  They're gonna do what they're gonna do.  Telling them things are not all that bad when we have no information that suggests this is the case is just as likely to make things worse as it is to make them better.

Furthermore, past data fail to account for stressed healthcare facilities, which implies that the numbers are going to get WORSE, and soon.

Nope, I'll deal in the data as they are presented.  You're more than welcome to hope that the mortality growth rate suddenly declines just because it did in other countries (with their attendant sketchy reporting).  I'll just look at the curves, thank you very much. Accordingly, I'm calling for roughly 14,000 new deaths per day for the next 2 days, as we reach the goal I set for our country on April 1 of reaching 50,000 deaths by April 15. 

If we follow the trend out to mid May, Italy and Spain alone will have raised 500K from the dead!  Can you imagine the overpopulation?  It is all over thanks to those backwards rednecks.  Furk.  Ballgame.  

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Counter-point: preventative measures like preventing sick people from congregating in large groups help decrease the rate of transmission. If you’re putting in preventative measures after this virus spreads throughout the community, then its too late.

But you also need some degree of community spread to start getting through this. It's sounds funny, but we want a certain amount of people to get sick and get passed it.  Every week that our hospitals are slow is a week that we've spent in quarantine for nothing but layoffs, furlows, and compromised retirement accounts.  The places worse off (health and economy-wise) will be the ones that appear to be in excellent shape through the spring, but get demolished by the second wave because they have no community resistance. 

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

If we follow the trend out to mid May, Italy and Spain alone will have raised 500K from the dead!  Can you imagine the overpopulation?  It is all over thanks to those backwards rednecks.  Furk.  Ballgame.  

So zombie apocalypse? That's in my wheelhouse. Too bad, I no longer have an Ingram MAC-11.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away