CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

15 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Elections have consequences.  Here's to the consequences swinging elections.

Most Deaths Total:
1067051009_ScreenShot2021-09-02at12_00.42PM(2).thumb.png.a6cba2381637a4ff49458c715662ec1b.png

Least Deaths Total:
926822760_ScreenShot2021-09-02at12_03.29PM(2).thumb.png.64212609a14c0b58665f9db3e05fee45.png

Apologies for being a broken record, but between this and so much other news out of Texas (cold weather energy thing, hot weather energy thing, abortion thing) I'm really happy with where I moved.

That said, the cases where I'm at are the highest they have been since all this was being tracked.  I remember the threshold for going back to school last year was arbitrarily moved, and this year they have just given up.  And the death numbers are going up slowly.  I guess we'll see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Well, if all else fails, we could put the Covid ICU patients on ventilators hooked up through their rectums. Believe it or not, breathing through your butt is a thing.

https://massivesci.com/articles/rectal-breathing-oxygen-enema-ventilators/

I breath out through my butt whenever I get in a crowded elevator.

55 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

vaccine doesn't protect against every single disease possibility?

CHECKMATE, STUPID LIBS

Obviously - but if they can get more of a response from the fusion peptide vaccines, it could be a game changer because it could be cheap to manufacture and cross all foreseeable variants. 

Would love to get @Anastasis thoughts on how real this work is

21 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Obviously - but if they can get more of a response from the fusion peptide vaccines, it could be a game changer because it could be cheap to manufacture and cross all foreseeable variants. 

Would love to get @Anastasis thoughts on how real this work is

That's a new one to me.  Looks to be early early phase development.

I think that the mRNA technology is flexible enough that we can roll our specific updated vaccines to target particular variants very quickly if necessary.

On mu, not ready to worry about it yet. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Thanks y'all, that's what I figured. No actual logic behind the statement, and completely ignorant of the benefits that the vaccines have already provided.

"Does yer dumb vaccine guarantee I won't catch any kind of Kung-Flu?  Could I still catch the Omega Mu variant? I can?  Then the vaccine ain't fullproof.  It don't work.  I ain't gittin' it since it ain't a hunnerd percent."

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:
"Does yer dumb vaccine guarantee I won't catch any kind of Kung-Flu?  Could I still catch the Omega Mu variant? I can?  Then the vaccine ain't fullproof.  It don't work.  I ain't gittin' it since it ain't a hunnerd percent."

It ain't bona fide!

Why you lying, unconstant succubus!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

That's the thing.  They don't care about society.  They never have from what I can tell.   

It's worse.  It's like the old TV commercials, but dystopian: "America: the suffering means it's working!"  

We want winners and winning.  And how do you know there are winners and winning?  Easy -- look for losers, pained expressions on their face and suffering.  We've got LOTS of those, which means that we must have a LOT of winning!

Cruelty and suffering aren't a bug of the perverse vision of the American dream that modern society has adopted -- they are THE feature.

We are a sick, sick country.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Uh, you wouldn't know my disease.  It goes to a different high school, Eustace High.  

"Oh yeah?  Well, what's it look like?"

Uh, real exotic.  Like, throat flu and uh...streptococcal stomach.  Real cool though.  

"Did you say Throat Flu?  What the hell is that?  Are you talking about the ugly Covid across the lunch room?"

Nah man, you know me.  Totally not Covid.  Covid's gross.  This one is way cooler.  Something about Strep.  Maybe Mono, you know the kissing disease?  Yeah, we make out a lot."  

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Explain the logic behind your statement, please, if it exists.

The folks staunchly for or against the merits of a vaccine or mask, will see a variant that may be immune to vaccines as reason that "the dab won't work"...

14 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

The folks staunchly for or against the merits of a vaccine or mask, will see a variant that may be immune to vaccines as reason that "the dab won't work"...

Why would someone who is "for the merits of a vaccine" see a new mutation that escapes protection as evidence that the vaccine doesn't work?

If I undergo a successful appendectomy, does that mean it didn't work should I need my gall bladder removed?

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why would someone who is "for the merits of a vaccine" see a new mutation that escapes protection as evidence that the vaccine doesn't work?

If I undergo a successful appendectomy, does that mean it didn't work should I need my gall bladder removed?

Not actually what was meant, my intent was to point out it will be harder for those advocating for vax, t persuade if other side can say "See it's not foolproof"...

I have a problem with this on several levels. You don’t deny healthcare services based on someone’s beliefs or behaviors. You just don’t. If you disagree you have no business being in this profession. Seriously get fucked
 Also from a public health standpoint you have someone with symptoms and you are delaying getting a diagnosis. If they are positive we want to know ASAP yes even if they are literally Hitler

And yet, women were denied medication or service because of people’s beliefs.

@pyrohornIII and I are in the same district and also I think the same trauma region for hospital care. I've lost track of how many days in a row there have been no ICU beds available but at one point the percentage of COVID patients among all patients was approaching 40%. HS football and volleyball games are this Friday and over in Austin and also in College Station it's game on so the restaurants and bars are going to be filled. Folks I was talking to this week were a mix of 'we're turning the corner and everything is fine' and 'in about a week this is going to be awful'. I'm just going to hold my breath. And wear a bunch of masks.

• Like 1

Money doesn't matter anymore

Discussion

Well, after so many under staffed shifts and nurses getting burned out, my hospital decided to increase the bonus per shift, from $600 to $1200 and $1500 if you do a 5th shift in the same week. Guess what, we are still under staffed. I talked to some of the nurses around the hospital and they are not even interested in the money. For most of them, is a mental and physical issue that have taken a toll in their bodies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My only concern with people who think that sub-100% efficacy is "proof" that a vaccine doesn't work is that they can actually persuade other equally dim people that they have a point.

One of the problems was we used terms like "efficacy" which 99% of the rubes/idiots didn't understand.  When explaining things to backwater rednecks you have to keep things to 1 or max 2 syllables.  That is why "Horse Paste" is so effective with them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Watching the Ohio state-Minnesota game and it’s weird to see a full stadium and zero masks. Are we just resigned to the idea of letting delta burn through the unvaxxed population and kill a fuck ton of them off?

It sure looks that way. They would rather shit their pants after taking horse dewormer than get a free vaccine. Maybe Minnesota has a better rate than our measly 42%

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

Don’t get Surly started on BMI.

Lol. Love the "it doesn't account for muscle mass & athletic people" argument. It's like bro your fat ass isn't an athlete & you workout for one week after New Years. 

40 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Watching the Ohio state-Minnesota game and it’s weird to see a full stadium and zero masks. Are we just resigned to the idea of letting delta burn through the unvaxxed population and kill a fuck ton of them off?

Biff, get ready for Saturday at DKR.

image.thumb.png.3f62b321a1cb6ee11810d4b6438f243a.pngimage.thumb.png.33431cd74b1ebe845214fbace27a3d5c.png

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, brakeman said:

Biff, get ready for Saturday at DKR.

image.thumb.png.3f62b321a1cb6ee11810d4b6438f243a.pngimage.thumb.png.33431cd74b1ebe845214fbace27a3d5c.png

Curious what the vaccination rate would be at the stadium considering how many are coming in from outside Travis Co.  

I can't imagine what this looks like for B/CS.  

But Trump said heat is this thing's enemy, right?