CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

16 hours ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

New Data shows previous infection to the alpha variant confers immunity to delta much stronger than the Pfizer vaccine. Very large study just released out of Israel. +30k patients. So I'm better off than the people at least vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/having-sars-cov-2-once-confers-much-greater-immunity-vaccine-vaccination-remains-vital

Is this the same study we already talked about that found that both those who have had COVID before as well as those who have not had COVID before are better off if they've had the vaccine? Which is then being misinterpreted by morons on the internet?

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Is this the same study we already talked about that found that both those who have had COVID before as well as those who have not had COVID before are better off if they've had the vaccine? Which is then being misinterpreted by morons on the internet?

Inglourious Basterds Bingo GIF

Have seen some discussion already.  But put this way, well wow.

Moderna Creates Twice as Many Antibodies as Pfizer, Study Shows

Moderna Inc.’s Covid vaccine generated more than double the antibodies of a similar shot made by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE in research directly comparing immune responses to the inoculations.

A study of almost 2,500 workers at a major Belgium hospital system found antibody levels among individuals who hadn’t been infected with the coronavirus before getting two doses of the Moderna vaccine averaged 2,881 units per milliliter, compared with 1,108 units/mL in an equivalent group who got two jabs of the Pfizer shot.

The results, published Monday in a letter to the Journal of the American Medical Association, suggested the differences might be explained by the:

• higher amount of active ingredient in the Moderna vaccine -- 100 micrograms, versus 30 micrograms in Pfizer-BioNTech
  • longer interval between doses of the Moderna vaccine -- four weeks, versus three weeks for Pfizer-BioNTech

Moderna’s vaccine was associated with a two-fold risk reduction against breakthrough SARS-CoV-2 infections compared to Pfizer’s in a review of people in the Mayo Clinic Health System in the U.S. from January to July. The results were reported in a separate study released ahead of publication and peer review on Aug. 9.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-31/moderna-jab-spurs-double-pfizer-covid-antibody-levels-in-study?srnd=premium

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Even though the trauma ICU is all I've known as a nurse, I have a second panel interview this afternoon with a local clinic system. Unfortunately, I can't leave the ICU bedside full time yet for school eligibility reasons (fucking Okies...it's a long story), but I think I need to take a big step back. Was supposed to have another interview with my hospital for a house supervisor position, but she hasn't tried to schedule it with me yet, soooo..

Good luck!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

This may be unpopular, but from what I've seen nurses are some of the worst anti-vaxxers.  Last numbers I saw have them around 50% vaccinated, while the physicians are around 96%. 

Nursing is one of those fields with a wide spectrum of intelligence. You have some who could have easily aced their way through med school and just didn’t want to go that route for whatever reason. And then you have a bunch who are dumb as rocks. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Nursing is one of those fields with a wide spectrum of intelligence. You have some who could have easily aced their way through med school and just didn’t want to go that route for whatever reason. And then you have a bunch who are dumb as rocks. 

very true.  i've been selling to the whole spectrum for 20 years.  i will say that over the last 5 or so years i haven't met with a nurse under 40 that didn't come off very intelligent and curious.

19 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

image.jpeg.fb2c3c73808673bb6b765f16983a288d.jpeg

From the "Time is a Flat Circle File"...

Two career FDA higher ups leave the organization, apparently the last straw was the Biden administration getting ahead of the FDA on booster authorizations...

https://endpts.com/breaking-in-a-major-blow-to-vaccine-efforts-senior-fda-leaders-stepping-down-report/

BREAKING: In a major blow to vaccine efforts, senior FDA leaders stepping down
Zachary Brennan
Senior Editor

Marion Gruber
Two of the FDA’s most senior vaccine leaders are exiting from their positions, raising fresh questions about the Biden administration and the way that it’s sidelined the FDA.

Marion Gruber, director of the FDA’s Office of Vaccines Research & Review and 32-year veteran of the agency, will leave at the end of October, and OVRR deputy director Phil Krause, who’s been at FDA for more than a decade, will leave in November. The news, first reported by BioCentury, is a massive blow to confidence in the agency’s ability to regulate vaccines.

The bombshell announcement comes at a particularly crucial moment, as boosters and children’s shots are being weighed by the regulator. The departures also come as the administration has recently jumped ahead of the FDA’s reviews of booster shots, announcing that they might be available by the week of Sept. 20.

A former senior FDA leader told Endpoints that they’re departing because they’re frustrated that CDC and their ACIP committee are involved in decisions that they think should be up to the FDA. The former FDAer also said he’s heard they’re upset with CBER director Peter Marks for not insisting that those decisions should be kept inside FDA. What finally did it for them was the White House getting ahead of FDA on booster shots.

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The bombshell announcement comes at a particularly crucial moment, as boosters and children’s shots are being weighed by the regulator. The departures also come as the administration has recently jumped ahead of the FDA’s reviews of booster shots, announcing that they might be available by the week of Sept. 20.

A former senior FDA leader told Endpoints that they’re departing because they’re frustrated that CDC and their ACIP committee are involved in decisions that they think should be up to the FDA. 

Seems the FDA may have been the hold up on vaccines for under 12 and booster shots, both of which are badly overdue in my opinion. The people that will replace them in these positions will be highly qualified. Hopefully, the replacements will be quicker to respond to changing data. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Not sure where to put this, but today was my firrst day back actually teaching, and I told my class they don’t have to wear a mask per law but I also gave my reason for wearing one while lecturing even tho I’m fully vaxxed. After that, mask use went from 8/17 to 14/17.

Most of you know I teach at a 2-year in a very Trumpy area of Houston. I’d say our mask use by students overall on campus the last 2 days has damn near been 70/30.

I've heard from two people in my department who say that 0% of their students are wearing masks in the classroom.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Lowest rate is the NHL?  But what about aLL tHoSe bLacK hoCkEy pLaYErS????

While that guy is a dummy and I had the same initial thought, those numbers seem to trend based on how many seasons have been played with widely available vaccines and/or how close we are to starting their next season. Like @Anastasis said, employer policies work.

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I've heard from two people in my department who say that 0% of their students are wearing masks in the classroom.

I’ve been shocked at the number of faculty not wearing a mask while they are lecturing. And they aren’t exactly young or skinny, if you know what I mean.

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Thanks for posting that, it’s entirely likely that I’m not 100% up to speed on the latest numbers. That said, I don’t think poll data is the best way to get that info.

The CDC said “Black people have received smaller shares of vaccinations compared to their shares of cases and the total population in about half of states reporting data.” This is from August 18th.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

If we have cracked the Black hesitancy problem then that’s awesome (I don’t think we’re there yet). Maybe it can help the Trumper problem.

that dataset is hugely incomplete:

Race/Ethnicity was available for 120,022,349 (58.5%) people with at least one dose administered.

more than 40% of people with at least one dose don't have race accounted for in the CDC data.  so a poll could very well be more accurate than the CDC's data. 

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-demographic

• Hook 'Em 2

So my step-dad had back surgery here in Lincoln today, should just be an overnight stay. It also doesn't look like there are going to be any available rooms for him so they just have him hanging out in one of the visitors sitting areas for now. Apparently everything went well enough that he'll go home in the morning, but I don't think that it's an overall good sign here, especially since he's in the main trauma hospital for a pretty big area. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

So my step-dad had back surgery here in Lincoln today, should just be an overnight stay. It also doesn't look like there are going to be any available rooms for him so they just have him hanging out in one of the visitors sitting areas for now. Apparently everything went well enough that he'll go home in the morning, but I don't think that it's an overall good sign here, especially since he's in the main trauma hospital for a pretty big area. 

what happened to all those covid overflow stations like the one they had in Austin at the Convention Center? I think if you are unvaccinated you should get shunted to a facility like that and try your luck. Fuck clogging up hospitals anymore.

• Hook 'Em 3

'member when Florida was the darling of the DT squad because of their """good numbers"""? Whodathunkit that diet trump would also be a fucking liar

Miami Herald: Florida changed its COVID-19 data, creating an ‘artificial decline’ in recent deaths

As the delta variant spreads through Florida, data published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggest this could be the most serious and deadly surge in COVID-19 infections since the beginning of the pandemic.

As cases ballooned in August, however, the Florida Department of Health changed the way it reported death data to the CDC, giving the appearance of a pandemic in decline, an analysis of Florida data by the Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald found.

On Monday, Florida death data would have shown an average of 262 daily deaths reported to the CDC over the previous week had the health department used its former reporting system, the Herald analysis showed. Instead, the Monday update from Florida showed just 46 “new deaths” per day over the previous seven days.

The dramatic difference is due to a small change in the fine print. Until three weeks ago, data collected by DOH and published on the CDC website counted deaths by the date they were recorded — a common method for producing daily stats used by most states. On Aug. 10, Florida switched its methodology and, along with just a handful of other states, began to tally new deaths by the date the person died.

If you chart deaths by Florida’s new method, based on date of death, it will generally appear — even during a spike like the present — that deaths are on a recent downslope. That’s because it takes time for deaths to be evaluated and death certificates processed. When those deaths finally are tallied, they are assigned to the actual data of death — creating a spike where there once existed a downslope and moving the downslope forward in time.

Shivani Patel, a social epidemiologist and assistant professor at Emory University called the move “extremely problematic,” especially since it came without warning or explanation during a rise in cases.

Patel said Florida death data now show an “artificial decline” in recent deaths and without an explanation or context, and “it would look like we are doing better than we are.”

image.png.ef6a3acf596a86615066b3b0dddb724d.png

The change came the day after the state health department’s official Twitter account posted a series of late-night tweets accusing the CDC of publishing incorrect numbers, but offering little explanation.

“As a result of data discrepancies that have occurred, this week, FDOH worked quickly and efficiently with CDC to ensure accurate display of data on their website the same day,” DOH spokesperson Weesam Khoury told the Herald in a statement at the time. “To proactively ensure accurate data is consistently displayed, the Department will begin daily submission of a complete renewed set of case data to CDC, including retrospective COVID-19 cases.”

The article is pretty long, I only quoted the first third or so. But what a shock! Republican chief executives falsifying public health information to burnish their political chances? 

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

'member when Florida was the darling of the DT squad because of their """good numbers"""? Whodathunkit that diet trump would also be a fucking liar

Miami Herald: Florida changed its COVID-19 data, creating an ‘artificial decline’ in recent deaths

The article is pretty long, I only quoted the first third or so. But what a shock! Republican chief executives falsifying public health information to burnish their political chances? 

between covid and Jan 6th I knew I should have gone in the "DIY Home Gibbet Kit." So many of these fucks need to pay for their actions.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

Let this “Christian” lead the way:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTQCVZNlp1r/?utm_medium=copy_link

If you're discussing "American Christianity," she's 100% theologically on-target.  She's not an outlier or heretic -- she's a prophet speaking their one true faith.  "American Christianity" isn't just a poison.....it's completely inconsistent with actual Christianity -- you know, the religion based heavily on the Gospels.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If you're discussing "American Christianity," she's 100% theologically on-target.  She's not an outlier or heretic -- she's a prophet speaking their one true faith.  "American Christianity" isn't just a poison.....it's completely inconsistent with actual Christianity -- you know, the religion based heavily on the Gospels.

As the “Christian” mom would say; “fuckin’ right.”

5 minutes ago, Satchel said:

As the “Christian” mom would say; “fuckin’ right.”

Well, hold on there....my wife is an ordained minister, a pretty decent real-deal Christian, and she absolutely has this coffee mug:

6febe8d6-4d84-491e-8de1-dc651f15a172_1.a

Except it should say "a lot."  She's a SETX girl at heart.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Well, hold on there....my wife is an ordained minister, a pretty decent real-deal Christian, and she absolutely has this coffee mug:

6febe8d6-4d84-491e-8de1-dc651f15a172_1.a

Except it should say "a lot."  She's a SETX girl at heart.

Is your wife crazy too…like school board mom?

3 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

But it’s harmless to kids!

In some fairness, the full story on that is that the child had some very significant health issues beforehand.  Of course.....those most vulnerable ones (esp. ones who can't get vaccinated) are also the people who we should be protecting by trying to limit the spread (get the vaccine, wear a mask).

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

can I get @Muy Frio or @GRHorn or @Satoshi or whatever the fuck sock he's using nowadays to comment on this? He was SO. SURE. that children would be just fine with full-blown COVID. Just would like a mea culpa and owning that you've been shilling shit medical advice.

Why?  It's obvious that child died of pancreatic cancer brought on in part by a lifetime of smoking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1