CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Despite the defense of morons, and the endless whining about the press treating the Trump administration very, very badly here is the truth.

This administration made the problem MUCH MUCH WORSE with it's deconstruction of all the infrastructure to protect the US.  Why you might ask?  Our President is the smartest man ever placed on the earth on any subject.  Just ask any of his inner circle.

Well the Trump brain trust as of Friday, according to Trump's head of the Food and Drug Administration the US has tested..... wait for it.... 5,861 people!  What a fucking joke.  Dumb asses like GRhorn are would support the Trump administration if they told you to rub a cross mark in shit on your forehead as coronavirus protection.  It's easy to do, when you have wholeheartedly embraced so many prior lies, as truth. GRhorn has been trained over time to believe the unbelievable, and cry out political attack when simply faced with the truth regarding the pathertic efforts of the Trump administration.

5,861 is the total number tested by the Trump administration for the Coronavirus. That is complete and total incompetence for something we KNEW was going to get loose nearly two months ago.

(sadly this does not even mean 5,861 people were tested, as many have both nose and throat swabs sent in as separate tests) https://www.businessinsider.com/us-cdc-conducted-fewer-than-6000-coronavirus-tests-2020-3?utm_source=yahoo.com&utm_medium=referral

The one thing I will plea everyone here to do going forward.  Give local small businesses your money.  They do not have the luxury of having the profits of another location to offset their losses. Often they have very little in reserves and a couple bad months can shut them down.  So give them your patronage rather than the chains and help your friends and neighbors survive what is going to be a very tough slog looking ahead. If you do not, many of them will not survive.

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I fucking shared the video to give a viewpoint that we’re not gonna descend into martial law. I never mentioned Trump. I should’ve just left the presentation out of CR. 

In this thread I’ve only mentioned Trump botching it. Mainly with messaging. I do think they should issue guidance against elderly traveling etc. There’s time to reverse that. 

As far as the agencies and their actual policies and guidelines coming out, they are evolving on an almost daily basis. People who work in healthcare know this. Hospital systems are updating staff on the same basis. We will get through this and I’m confident that resources will be allocated appropriately. 

I appreciate the share of the video.  It’s good information rooted in science, empiricism and reality.  I only wish our President seemed to agree with it as much as you do.

And another cruise ship off of S Florida...  When are they going to shut cruises down?  Seems like a sensible idea...because history and what not

I don’t know if THEY’VE shut them down, but I sure have. I wasn’t bucking to take a cruise before. I’ll NEVER take one now. They’re just big ole Petri dishes.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Loco said:

And another cruise ship off of S Florida...  When are they going to shut cruises down?  Seems like a sensible idea...because history and what not

My dad & his wife just got back to CO from their annual month long winter stay in HI. He told me he was glad to be home, but it was going to be a quick turnaround because they're going on a Caribbean cruise in April. He's 75 and in so-so health. She's 67, has MS, and was clinically dead & resuscitated twice after cancer surgery 4 years ago. In other words, they're literally taking the biggest unnecessary risk they possibly could right now. The only thing is, she's too much of a bitch to die. Maybe this is her way of getting all of his money.

It is time to consider the impact of school closings. I know many in this social strata will be able to work from home. But for those who work out of the house (and cannot afford daycare) - closing schools will bring on severe hardship. 

And - it will severely impact the learning process for those kids, teens and young adults:

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2020/03/what-will-happen-if-us-schools-close-coronavirus/607621/

Edited by washparkhorn

This should be the focus of the democratic platform.
this virus has exposed everything that’s wrong with the Republican platform:
1.) Healthcare that doesn’t actually cover everyone And leaves us all worse off b/c ppl can’t get care
2.) Economic policies that leave almost everyone but the top 1% screwed / on the edge just waiting for an event beyond everyone’s control to throw them down the rungs of the economic ladder. Ppl who can’t afford / aren’t allowed to take a week off of work to get better.
3.) Gutting government to the point it can’t keep its citizens safe 
4.) Pro life... unless you’re outside the womb. 

You know, this is strong. Our system is utterly unequipped for something like this, from top to bottom.
I was even thinking about all the prepping/stockpiling people around here have mentioned doing. Great, we have the means to buy 1 month worth of groceries. Tens of millions of Americans only get grocery money when they get paid every two weeks, and even then, the money doesn’t carry them through those two weeks. They don’t have stockpiles - they have bare pantries. Tell them they can’t work, and it won’t matter whether stores are open or not - they will run out of food, quickly.
We have zero margin for error...and we’re about to see all of our errors come together at once.

5 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

1.) Healthcare that doesn’t actually cover everyone And leaves us all worse off b/c ppl can’t get care

2.) Economic policies that leave almost everyone but the top 1% screwed / on the edge just waiting for an event beyond everyone’s control to throw them down the rungs of the economic ladder. Ppl who can’t afford / aren’t allowed to take a week off of work to get better.

5.  Science, schmience.  

• Like 1

It would be fascinating if Trump approaches the House, hat in hand, asking for a bailout.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the situations were reversed (Democratic president in an election year, GOP controlled House) that the GOP would never in a million years do a similar bailout because it would help the re-election chances of the president.

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

It would be fascinating if Trump approaches the House, hat in hand, asking for a bailout.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the situations were reversed (Democratic president in an election year, GOP controlled House) that the GOP would never in a million years do a similar bailout because it would help the re-election chances of the president.

IMO in some ways, it is worse for the Democratic Party w/ respect to the fallout of this entire four year debacle that has culminated in the pandemic response. Were the Democratic politicians to approve a bailout, it will be promoted as Trump's saving the country and when the bill comes due and the economy takes it's downward dip, it will be attributed to the President in office who will, barring additional interference, be a Democrat. This would be compounded by McConnell blockading every single thing that would affect an economic recovery that he could muster. Thus ensuring that after spending four to eight years cleaning up the mess from 2016, the GOP would have marshalled enough $$ and propaganda to install the smarter more evil version of a dictator.

If the Democratic members oppose a bailout, they will be painted in a similarly disastrous light and it would endanger any of their House/Senate and other election strategies.

Their response to any WH proposals requires substantive measured thought as to different scenarios. I'm not confident but I am hopeful. Given the nature and demographics of the voting populace, I will undoubtedly be disappointed.

30 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Trump will let the economy go to shit and try to blame it on Bernie Sanders before he asks for a bailout.

His family and friends are going to be fine regardless.  Hell, he's probably on the phone with hedge fund managers right now trying to figure out which stocks will take it up the ass the hardest so they can all short them.

He will be fine and his money will be fine and fuck the rest of us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

This is a good list, and since we are in a cross posting from the DT sort of mood lately, I’m going to drop here what I think should be #5 on your list: the GOP has failed the nation in one of the most core concepts of our constitution — providing for the common defense.

To me, the ability to effectively respond to a global pandemic to protect our citizens would be part of “providing for the common defense” outlined in the constitution.  Global pandemics are a potentially existential threat to us.  Not viably defending us from such a threats is a violation of the most basic agreement between a people and their government — you exist to help protect us from dangers we could not face as individuals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Corporate bailout but everyone has to pay out of pocket for testing?  Fuck that.

54 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

IMO in some ways, it is worse for the Democratic Party w/ respect to the fallout of this entire four year debacle that has culminated in the pandemic response. Were the Democratic politicians to approve a bailout, it will be promoted as Trump's saving the country and when the bill comes due and the economy takes it's downward dip, it will be attributed to the President in office who will, barring additional interference, be a Democrat. This would be compounded by McConnell blockading every single thing that would affect an economic recovery that he could muster. Thus ensuring that after spending four to eight years cleaning up the mess from 2016, the GOP would have marshalled enough $$ and propaganda to install the smarter more evil version of a dictator.

If the Democratic members oppose a bailout, they will be painted in a similarly disastrous light and it would endanger any of their House/Senate and other election strategies.

Their response to any WH proposals requires substantive measured thought as to different scenarios. I'm not confident but I am hopeful. Given the nature and demographics of the voting populace, I will undoubtedly be disappointed.

Agree. We are turning into a tinpot dictatorship.

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

big brain.

9 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Agree. We are turning into a tinpot dictatorship.

We're essentially there save for the results of November. When one makes a list isn't the only item remaining left unchecked is the execution of political foes? (I haven't forgotten Khashoggi but as he was a journalist as opposed to say Speaker of the House, his murder would be a separate item.)

It sounds extreme, but the reality is that it is much more like Russian 'democracy' that we should care to admit. A semblance of freedom but inequality everywhere as the oligarchs rule and dissidents are silenced.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Addition
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I don’t know if THEY’VE shut them down, but I sure have. I wasn’t bucking to take a cruise before. I’ll NEVER take one now. They’re just big ole Petri dishes.

Truth. Cruises are the vacation equivalent of visiting Chuck E Cheese. Who would want to be quarantined with phlegm and Phlegm?

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You know, this is strong. Our system is utterly unequipped for something like this, from top to bottom.
I was even thinking about all the prepping/stockpiling people around here have mentioned doing. Great, we have the means to buy 1 month worth of groceries. Tens of millions of Americans only get grocery money when they get paid every two weeks, and even then, the money doesn’t carry them through those two weeks. They don’t have stockpiles - they have bare pantries. Tell them they can’t work, and it won’t matter whether stores are open or not - they will run out of food, quickly.
We have zero margin for error...and we’re about to see all of our errors come together at once.

Wait, are you telling me that our society and right leaning government which encourages minimum payments, little savings is a problem?  I am sure the republicans will bail out individuals who suffer right?  

3 hours ago, Message Board User said:

The airlines are gonna be bailed out or receive major aid in some fashion. Book it. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Has anyone ever followed up with any of Ben Carson’s former patients? I know everyone says he’s this brilliant surgeon, but are we sure there aren’t a bunch of maimed children walking around who he used a steak knife on to do brain surgery. 

Who do you think makes up the majority of Trump supporters? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Has anyone ever followed up with any of Ben Carson’s former patients? I know everyone says he’s this brilliant surgeon, but are we sure there aren’t a bunch of maimed children walking around who he used a steak knife on to do brain surgery. 

eh, carson's with hud, right?  who cares what he has to say about anything in the medical field?

the plan is working.

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Walk me through that confidence...I see a commander in chief consistently downplaying the gravity of this situation who has gutted the departments that should typically take charge during these events and hurriedly put someone in charge that probably thinks you can pray away the gay.

Explain your confidence.

To quote Winston Churchill, “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they’ve tried everything else.”

I believe this administration and the career bureaucrats in CDC and NIH have tried everything they can to hold out of massive shutdowns throughout society if at all possible. The economic and societal fallout of these things will be massive if we have to do it so I can understand why they’re to be avoided if possible. We’ll know in a week or two what really needs to be done, but we can ramp up. Just a month ago Trump put limits on travel to China and there were plenty of think pieces about how that was counterproductive. So let’s not act like everyone has been on the same page here. It’s a fluid situation. 

On the local level at the actual facilities people go to for care, things are already happening.  I see them. I see the intensity ramping. We have stockpiles of materials and smart people to decide where they can best be utilized. The infrastructure of how these people are triaged and cared for may evolve, but plans are already being made for that. 

In short, people in USA have more resources than anywhere and the healthcare system is not sitting with its dick in its hand. 

Plus I try to be an optimist. Life is better that way. 

Once again, explain the Trump administration's refusal of WHO test kits in favor of a delayed development within our borders, which also happened to run into problems that caused further delays?
Just fucking address the point.

A trumpkin? Traffic in the world of reality? Pshaw.

Twice, Dr. Ben Carson as a representative of Trump's Covid-19 task force, says he prescribes to the American people to "if you are not healthy, think very seriously.."  That's his advice, stay home and think.  He just told Trump's target demographic to think very seriously for themselves.  What a novel fucking approach that is going to backfire horribly.  

I’ll share these with y’all from one of the hospital systems where I work. I’m sure these kind of communications are going out all over the country. PCPs and ERs have been given guidance on these patients. They are being counseled on self quarantining and mitigation tactics. In short, the issue is being addressed and the freaking out about needing a million tests is unwarranted imo. It’s here. 

314-C247-D-4374-4671-9-E45-2-CCAAF9-AB28

29-B935-EF-8-CA1-4966-8-C4-F-C3-C265-FE6

102-ABBB8-98-C6-4045-99-F0-FAA93-C0468-A

If things have to be elevated, they will be. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NIUHuskies said:

So when will we see the Coronavirus fear be used to talk about the cancellation of the November election?

Let me answer your question in the way Trump would tweet it:

ITS NOT A CRISIS' UNTIL I SAY IT IS A CRISIS!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS A FAKE CRISIS' WITCH HUNT AND WHEN IT IS A PERFECT CRISIS' I WILL MAKE THE PERFECT CALL TO CANCEL THE ELECTIONS!!!!!!!!! SOME PEOPLE SAY I HAVE HANDLED THIS FAKE CRISIS PERFECTLY!!!!!

In other words, he has to wait for the crisis to become apparent even to his most loyal supporters and when it can no longer be denied, then he can swoop in and fake save everybody by canceling the elections. It may not work out that way, but it's a guess festival regardless.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Once again, explain the Trump administration's refusal of WHO test kits in favor of a delayed development within our borders, which also happened to run into problems that caused further delays?

Just fucking address the point.

I am sure one of trump buddies got the Contract to develop it, someone making a lot of money of Development  

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk