CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

27 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The State Department has them on the Level 4: Do Not Travel list, but I don't think that, alone, constitutes a travel ban per se. If you sort the list and look at the other Level 4 nations, I'm sure you could make your way to some of them. Interestingly, Cuba, for example, is not listed, so as the list's name implies, I think this is just an advisory.

Now, coming back from China might be a different thing.

It bans a lot of people from entry.  Anyone can leave, citizens can return or immediate family of citizens.

You might need a travel Visa as a citizen.  I'm not familiar with exact details, but from my experience going to a no-travel nation: I needed a corporate sponsor to support my statement of purpose and embassy preapproval.  A dual-citizen travel companion only needed embassy approval upon return.  This was Level 2.

Edited by JBJ

Lol at reporters getting the virus so they can give it to trump. Dudes definitely a stable genius. 

Which brave and Nobel soul here on surly will be willing to get the coronavirus and then attend the next trump hate rally and shake his hand? Who Here among us will make that sacrifice for the larger greater surly good? 

So whether Trump gets blamed for this shit show or not, I very seriously doubt that he can show any sort of actual leadership for a way out of the ditch we're gonna be in next fall.

The question becomes whether the Democratic nominee can.

Journalists don’t typically come within a few feet of the POTUS, let alone touch him.  Maybe the President goes back into the White House press pool and smells the chairs of the hot journalists after they’ve left, which according to my doctor/lawyer is no longer safe to do.  

who does come into close contact with the President are his high price donors who are permitted a quick meet n’ greet/photo opp with him.  Or a mar-a-lago staffer.  Just saying. 

27 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Lol at reporters getting the virus so they can give it to trump. Dudes definitely a stable genius. 

Which brave and Nobel soul here on surly will be willing to get the coronavirus and then attend the next trump hate rally and shake his hand? Who Here among us will make that sacrifice for the larger greater surly good? 

I rather get the virus than have to shake his fucking hand.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s not like Chinese nationals have breached security at Mar a lago before or anything 

I'm curious how Secret Service protects the food supply at Mar-a-Lago.  

50 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I very seriously doubt that he can show any sort of actual leadership for a way out of the ditch we're gonna be in next fall.

I presume that by "very seriously doubt" you meant "am absolutely dead-solid certain that he cannot" -- right?

He has zero leadership ability.  None. Zilch.  "Getting a bunch of morons to worship you" isn't leadership -- it's just a different con game.  Leadership is actually doing something, and something within the interest of the organization you lead.

He's a net NEGATIVE as a leader.  We're worse off with him there than if the oval office was vacant.  He's actively interfering in reasonable measures and steps that could be taken because they might make him look bad.

The plane just lost both engines, and the only "pilot" we have has stepped away from the stick to get on the intercom and tell the passengers about how this is the most perfect flight ever, and they ought to pull out their phones and book their next flight right now, and he's told the co-pilot that if he does or says even a single thing that would alarm the passengers (like telling the flight attendants to prepare for an emergency landing), he's fired.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I presume that by "very seriously doubt" you meant "am absolutely dead-solid certain that he cannot" -- right?

He has zero leadership ability.  None. Zilch.  "Getting a bunch of morons to worship you" isn't leadership -- it's just a different con game.  Leadership is actually doing something, and something within the interest of the organization you lead.

He's a net NEGATIVE as a leader.  We're worse off with him there than if the oval office was vacant.  He's actively interfering in reasonable measures and steps that could be taken because they might make him look bad.

The plane just lost both engines, and the only "pilot" we have has stepped away from the stick to get on the intercom and tell the passengers about how this is the most perfect flight ever, and they ought to pull out their phones and book their next flight right now, and he's told the co-pilot that if he does or says even a single thing that would alarm the passengers (like telling the flight attendants to prepare for an emergency landing), he's fired.

I tend to go for understatement.  But yeah.

the other thread is interesting. as news about DC cases increases, i suspect some of the loudest 'take it to the cloak room!' folks do not appreciate being reminded about Trump's continual assurances that 'everything is fine, we're doing fine!" 

wishing people sick/dead is one thing, that doesn't belong... but i don't see how you can separate news re:the pandemic itself from the US government's response, or lack thereof, and the impacts both the president's remarks and the actions of his administration are having. 

at a minimum he is lying and downplaying the effect and spread of this thing. that seems 100% germaine to the overall topic, regardless of politics. 

i think some people don't want to have that pointed out, they don't want to acknowledge they're being lied to by someone they revere...

you know,  something-something-cognitive dissonance 😐

• Like 3

My Dad is still blaming the media and regurgitating Flu statistics. I respond by saying it would be nice if our leadership would spend less time tweeting about the Flu and more time explaining exactly what the fuck it is they are doing to brace for this. So damn frustrating.

I can say this if Obama was president it wouldn't be getting reported like it's fucking Ebola or like the movie Outbreak. I saw somewhere on FB the list of new diseases from 2000 until now and this one is getting reported like it's the end of the world. I always think I cant be surprised by the media but we live in a trumpcentered world where they always find a way to blame him for everything no matter if it started in the stone ages.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 15

I'll give props to Cruz, Collins, and the other dipshit for actually announcing they are self-isolating.  They could have blown it off.  They could have not announced it.  Both would have been in better line with Trump's Baghdad Bob's messaging, but instead they are modeling good behavior.  There, I gave Cruz a compliment.  Now I need to go wash my hands. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I can say this if Obama was president it wouldn't be getting reported like it's fucking Ebola or like the movie Outbreak. I saw somewhere on FB the list of new diseases from 2000 until now and this one is getting reported like it's the end of the world. I always think I cant be surprised by the media but we live in a trumpcentered world where they always find a way to blame him for everything no matter if it started in the stone ages.

I agree. He's not to blame for your fetal alcohol syndrome.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/09/politics/coronavirus-airlines-white-house-tensions/index.html

Reveal hidden contents

The anger and recrimination are fueled by the fact that for both the White House and the airlines, CoVID19 -- the coronavirus that has infected about 108,000 people worldwide and killed around 3,500 in 93 countries -- poses a profound threat.

The international aviation industry could face losses north of $100 billion if the virus isn't contained soon, with revenues and ridership already plummeting.

In the White House, President Donald Trump has seen stock markets sink, a development that could undermine a central plank of his re-election campaign: that his presidency has delivered a thriving economy.

On Friday, the White House signaled it could offer an olive branch and take steps to ease the financial strain on US airlines by deferring taxes. Airlines, concerned about complicated privacy issues the data collection may pose, have tried to meet the administration halfway, proposing to develop an app and website for data collection.

For now, though, tensions remain high as the two sides remain far apart as both struggle to deal with the pandemic and the airlines brace for the fees and other punitive measures the White House might implement starting March 14.

"If the focus is doing it exactly the way the administration wants, it will be a long negotiation," said Washington Rep. Rick Larsen, the Democratic chair of the House aviation subcommittee. The "airlines don't have all the information the CDC wants," Larsen said.

The standoff over data goes back years, said one source, who added that the CDC seems to be using the coronavirus outbreak to force airlines to agree to its demands. The broader debate is about what role airlines should play in determining if their passengers have been exposed to the disease.

This newest surge of friction began a few weeks ago, after the Presidential proclamation in late January that essentially banned any foreign national from entering the US if they had been to China within the previous two weeks.

In a series of calls, the administration told airlines they had to comply with a directive to ask travelers if they had been to China within the past 48 hours. CDC had initially wanted passengers to answer 22 fields of information but narrowed that to five questions about passengers' contact info. They are particularly interested in recent visitors to China, Italy and South Korea.

Aviation executives said they don't have the technology to do that digitally, explaining it would take six months to make the necessary technical fixes. They could, however, use paper, they said. An official from the Centers for Disease Control accused the airlines of lying, according to two of the sources, and of not stepping up to the plate, leaving the industry executives reeling in shock.

The blowups between administration officials and the airlines have continued, occurring more recently over the requirement that airlines to collect more passenger and crew data than they normally would, including email addresses, phone numbers and addresses to help track potential coronavirus carriers.

The demand is a difficult one for airlines for technical reasons as well as privacy issues, particularly in Europe.

But during conversations about the new data requirements, CDC officials made a point of telling the airlines about $250,000 fines they would have to pay if they do not start complying by mid-March. The Federal Register listing that sets out the new requirements also notes that penalties could include criminal charges and up to a year in jail.

Individual airlines often had security or IT officials on the calls to explain technical issues as needed, but the calls got so heated at times that airline representatives themselves piped up.

"There were several calls between the airlines and the US government about this new data collection process, which was initiated in response to the novel coronavirus outbreak," said a CDC spokesperson. "We understand that any new process can be challenging to implement quickly, which is why the rule is currently open for public comment. Airlines have been encouraged to provide feedback through that public comment process."

The calls between airline executives and the agencies are set to pick up before the March 14th deadline, though no date has been set.

Airlines for America told CNN that the airlines "appreciate the collaborative dialogue with the US government to further our shared goal of protecting the safety and well-being of all travelers, which is -- and will always be -- the top priority of US carriers. We look forward to continuing to coordinate and work collaboratively with the top leaders in the Administration and across federal agencies to assess the best next steps."

Before the coronavirus outbreak, airlines were expected to share information they had in their records. The new change means they must collect the information the administration seeks. One airline official told CNN they now feel under the gun to compile the data because the administration could ask for it at any point.

Another industry official familiar with the calls said, "what may seem simple in a world of apps and other things in which it seems like everyone has information about you, it is not simple."

This industry official says it took the US aviation industry two years to meet post-9/11 requirements, which also involved data collection.

Airlines are concerned that the Federal Register gives no clear end date on the data collection and worry that the US government could continue forcing them to collect it "for other purposes."

"It seems they want us to do this for forever and we are pushing back," the first source familiar said. The airlines -- particularly their lawyers -- are worried about what Customs and Border Protection officials will do with the information.

They are also concerned about lawsuits from other countries, particularly given European Union privacy restrictions. "The industry isn't interested in creating a system that would get them in trouble with EU privacy rules," the industry official said, adding that's been a problem for airlines before.

Airlines asked the agency officials if the government would back them in the event of lawsuits and were told the administration would offer no support, according to the first source familiar. This source added that one US official told aviation executives their privacy concerns were "bullshit" because no country would push back on the collection of information given the threat CoVID19 poses.

The White House was aware of the rising tensions on these calls when it invited aviation CEOs to meet with Trump and Vice President Mike Pence Wednesday last week in an attempt to resolve the data sharing issues, according to third person familiar with events.

The White House meeting itself was not contentious, according to people familiar with it.

Airlines for America offered Trump a counter proposal for collecting data, telling him about an app and a website they are developing that would help the CDC get information more quickly, the group's president said after the meeting.

Nicholas Calio, the president and CEO of Airlines for America, said the association felt there were "better ways to trace the passengers coming in" from places with high rates of the coronavirus.

"We've contracted to have a mobile app and a website developed that everybody would have to fill in that would go directly to the CDC with that information and we're moving forward with that," he said.

The airline executives also used the opportunity to ask Trump and other White House officials not to publicly discourage Americans from taking flights, saying their businesses would be at risk if the government begins warning against commercial air travel.

Airlines are already reeling, canceling planned routes due to declining demand and projecting steep losses, with the International Air Transport Association saying the outbreak could cost the industry as much as $113 billion worldwide.

Despite the potential economic blow, Trump dismissed the idea of a bailout after the meeting last week. "Don't ask that question please, because they haven't asked [for] that," Trump told a reporter. "I don't want you to give them any ideas."

But White House officials are considering deferring taxes for industries hurt by the coronavirus, including aviation, two people briefed on the discussions said.

White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said Friday the "measures that would be targeted toward individuals or small businesses or perhaps some industrial sectors. That's on the table... we are in the discussion and planning phase."

CNN's Geneva Sands, Nikki Carvajal, Kevin Liptak and Jacqueline Howard contributed to this report

I'm going to do something unheard of on this board and take the other side. I think it's almost 100% probable that the airlines can provide whatever data the administration is asking for, they just don't want to for whatever reason (either time/cost or they don't want to be that transparent). And the government is correctly calling bullshit on them. 

Edited by BradInATX

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

When is Trump going to get a break? 

the other thread is interesting. as news about DC cases increases, i suspect some of the loudest 'take it to the cloak room!' folks do not appreciate being reminded about Trump's continual assurances that 'everything is fine, we're doing fine!" 
wishing people sick/dead is one thing, that doesn't belong... but i don't see how you can separate news re:the pandemic itself from the US government's response, or lack thereof, and the impacts both the president's remarks and the actions of his administration are having. 
at a minimum he is lying and downplaying the effect and spread of this thing. that seems 100% germaine to the overall topic, regardless of politics. 
i think some people don't want to have that pointed out, they don't want to acknowledge they're being lied to by someone they revere...
you know,  something-something-cognitive dissonance

Absolutely frigging spot on.

The TD “STOP MAKING THINGS POLITICAL” snowflake crowd are absolute cowards and babies.

A lot of them used to post here but as Trump got more and more indefensible they all retreated to the safety of TD.

They never scream about “NO CR!!!” in threads about Jussie Smollet or the homeless or something wacky California did but only about shitty stuff Republicans and Trump do. They’re fucking yellow bellied pussies.

My favorite thing is when I or another “CR regular” post anything on TD that isn’t even remotely political you get the usual suspects trolling and responding “Go back to the CR” - like, how do you know which of us post here if YOU aren’t reading here as they all claim.

And frankly, I think the mods are getting borderline Tigerdroppings about the issue - you absolutely cannot have an honest discussion about the coronavirus or this stock market crash without discussing the fuck ups of the current administration. And the fact that they are not allowing it to please some head in the sand Trumpkins is bullshit.

I’ve been holding that rant in for like two weeks now lol.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Jesus.

Fucking.

Christ.

This was getting significant coverage, by all global media outlets, LONG before the US was even implicated.  How fucking braindead can you be?

It is more than twice as virulent as the flu (meaning that it infects at a MUCH higher rate than the flu), and it appears to be, at BEST, 10X deadlier among that larger infected group than the flu, and requires well over 10X the needed hospitalizations of infected people.

Trump isn't to blame for the goddamned virus.  He's to blame for the US doing effectively nothing in terms of preventative measures, and in fact, he's actively PREVENTED AND INTERFERED WITH preventative measures that officials have recommended (and have been implemented in other countries).  This story isn't about Trump, or at least, it shouldn't have been -- until he stood up and told us that we'd be at zero cases by today.  For fuck's sake, how fucking stupid are you?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Hey, remember during the Ebola outbreak where the CDC warned Americans against taking cruises or long flights?  

Yeah, me neither.  Because this is fucking different, you idiot. 

Jesus.

Fucking.

Christ.

This was getting significant coverage, by all global media outlets, LONG before the US was even implicated.  How fucking braindead can you be?

It is more than twice as virulent as the flu (meaning that it infects at a MUCH higher rate than the flu), and it appears to be, at BEST, 10X deadlier among that larger infected group than the flu, and requires well over 10X the needed hospitalizations of infected people.

Trump isn't to blame for the goddamned virus.  He's to blame for the US doing effectively nothing in terms of preventative measures, and in fact, he's actively PREVENTED AND INTERFERED WITH preventative measures that officials have recommended (and have been implemented in other countries).  This story isn't about Trump, or at least, it shouldn't have been -- until he stood up and told us that we'd be at zero cases by today.  For fuck's sake, how fucking stupid are you?

Womp womp

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

The TD “STOP MAKING THINGS POLITICAL” snowflake crowd are absolute cowards and babies.

A lot of them used to post here but as Trump got more and more indefensible they all retreated to the safety of TD.

They never scream about “NO CR!!!” in threads about Jussie Smollet or the homeless or something wacky California did but only about shitty stuff Republicans and Trump do. They’re fucking yellow bellied pussies.

My favorite thing is when I or another “CR regular” post anything on TD that isn’t even remotely political you get the usual suspects trolling and responding “Go back to the CR” - like, how do you know which of us post here if YOU aren’t reading here as they all claim.

And frankly, I think the mods are getting borderline Tigerdroppings about the issue - you absolutely cannot have an honest discussion about the coronavirus or this stock market crash without discussing the fuck ups of the current administration. And the fact that they are not allowing it to please some head in the sand Trumpkins is bullshit.

Spot on.

Also, and I say this with all due respect. I bet you shag like a minx. 

Ahem.

The top trending coronavirus story on Facebook today:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Man, 2014 wasn't that long ago. I know you morons like to pretend like yesterday was a million years ago, but we remember 2014. We remember the hysteria Trump and morons like you ginned up. Now you're pretending that never happened? Get fucked.

• Like 1

Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

Ahem.

The top trending coronavirus story on Facebook today:

We are going to fucking kill ourselves and destroy our economy.  And as anyone could have predicted, Trumpkins will be largely responsible for it.   We really are too stupid to continue as a going concern.

12 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I'll give props to Cruz, Collins, and the other dipshit for actually announcing they are self-isolating.  They could have blown it off.  They could have not announced it.  Both would have been in better line with Trump's Baghdad Bob's messaging, but instead they are modeling good behavior.  There, I gave Cruz a compliment.  Now I need to go wash my hands. 

Dammit, I read this at first as "self-immolating" and got all excited for nothing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We are going to fucking kill ourselves and destroy our economy.  And as anyone could have predicted, Trumpkins will be largely responsible for it.   We really are too stupid to continue as a going concern.

On the other hand, our whole "old dumb assholes who do nothing but watch Fox News all day and hate immigrants" problem might take care of itself, so long as the rest of us can self-quarantine for long enough.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Can't win with the conservative snowflakes. In the early pages of the  texaggy thread, they eviscerate the media for not reporting on this enough! Wait until the liberal coastal elites get hit, that's the only way they will report in this!!1! 

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Lulz this. Mention that Donald said something regarding the virus and they curl up into the fetal position and sob uncontrollably. 

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk