CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

5 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Are we keeping a top ten list of shitty things Trump has done regarding COVID-19?  I'm not sure if this, or not wanting the ship to dock, is #1. 

This has a "so let it be written, so let it be done" vibe and we all know how that turned out for Pharoah.

Manu always has good talks with Nancy and one of the comments was great:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Somebody should ask Trish what a "crescendo" is, because if the chorus of hate is NEARING a crescendo, then that means it isn't getting louder (yet).

A crescendo is the peak of the volume.

To crescendo is to get louder.

So if something is nearing a crescendo it has been crescendoing already.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Qanon believer & Trumper who happens to be a nursing shift supervisor at a local Austin hospital (note to self: find out which one) was talking as loudly as he could at the pub yesterday, going on about how COVID-19 is all a hoax. After 10 minutes the bartender told him to either lower his voice or leave because he was pissing people off.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, JBJ said:

A crescendo is the peak of the volume.

No.  In music, a crescendo is the process of getting louder.  That is the proper usage, despite what sloppy common usage would indicate.  Yes, I know it has morphed even in some dictionaries.

Edited by jimmyjazz

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Cross posted from the TD thread but wanted to share here too in case y’all don’t keep up with that thread.

In “Alabama is fucking stupid” news.....I work at our county’s main hospital. Non profit and public so we take everyone. Part of my job is physician relations so I spend 3-4 days a week visiting every affiliated physician office and the rest of my week in the hospital, so I will probably have a high risk of exposure.

This was in an actual physician’s office in a town about 45 minutes from here - not one of my docs but I was a pharma rep for 15 years prior to working for the hospital and I still have lots of friends in the pharma game. My former partner sent me this picture today -

62b90a363ced42c9db215b02264935cc.jpg

Now, this little town is really fucking backwards even for Alabama. They have the highest per capita rate of opioid prescriptions in the state and have had multiple physicians and pharmacists arrested over the years. One practice was a father and son practice and the father was sleeping with his son’s wife so the son shot his father in his crotch with a shotgun at their practice during the middle of the work day.

None of that means anything to do with the virus but just gives you an idea of what this town’s medical community is like and it’s a super Trumpy place. It’s also one of the only counties Roy Moore won too.

Anyway, this sign wasn’t in some dinky DO FP or chiropractor’s office - this was in a gotdamn pulmonologist’s waiting room.

It’s just unbelievable that there are actual medical doctors spouting this crap.

I told my partner I’m sending the picture and a formal complaint to the ALBME. And I may send it to the local news station too.

So sad to see from an MD, Bama Chic.

Reuters has reported the "every election" bullshit has a disease has gone viral - including facebook, a hotbed for bullshit. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-election-year-diseases/partly-false-claim-every-election-year-has-a-disease-idUSKBN20S2X0

The claim that “every election year has a disease”, along with the list given, is partly false. While it is true some of the major disease outbreaks developed during the years presented, this claim misleadingly suggests a connection between disease outbreaks, or peaks, and the years listed. To claim that pandemics or virus outbreaks can be planned or timed does not have scientific basis. Scientists have been working with data and viral testing to help predict outbreaks – see here here here and here – but any connection to election years is coincidental, and many years that haven’t seen U.S. elections have also seen developments relating to global diseases. 

VERDICT 

Partly false: The diseases listed in this claim can not all be linked specifically to the years presented alongside and there is no evidence of a pattern between disease outbreaks and election years.

Edited by washparkhorn

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No.  A crescendo is the process of getting louder.

I don't know what else to say besides you are wrong.

It's decently close to "mount" as a native english word.  Crescendo can mean "a mount, to mount, or mountingly" depending on whether it's a noun, verb, or adverb.  A cresendo is the result (and not the process) of proceeding crescendo  - in the same way that a mount the the result (and not the process) of proceeding mountingly.

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Other than "to be purely evil," what reasoning could one have for this decision?

What's that?  No other reasoning at all?  Ok then.

I would assume so the prisoners won't request basic medical accommodations, like soap, access to water, hand sanitizer, distance from those who are coughing, and testing when showing symptoms. Because they aren't going to get any of those things, and it's best not to cause a panic among the prisoners. 

7 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I would assume so the prisoners won't request basic medical accommodations, like soap, access to water, hand sanitizer, distance from those who are coughing, and testing when showing symptoms. Because they aren't going to get any of those things, and it's best not to cause a panic among the prisoners. 

Not all of the people visiting the immigration offices are prisoners, though? Students with Visa concerns, green card holders, etc are all under that umbrella so the mandate lends itself more to the overall anti-foreign sentiment than just incarcerated asylum seekers/detainees unless I misunderstood the tweet.

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Cross posted from the TD thread but wanted to share here too in case y’all don’t keep up with that thread.

In “Alabama is fucking stupid” news.....I work at our county’s main hospital. Non profit and public so we take everyone. Part of my job is physician relations so I spend 3-4 days a week visiting every affiliated physician office and the rest of my week in the hospital, so I will probably have a high risk of exposure.

This was in an actual physician’s office in a town about 45 minutes from here - not one of my docs but I was a pharma rep for 15 years prior to working for the hospital and I still have lots of friends in the pharma game. My former partner sent me this picture today -

62b90a363ced42c9db215b02264935cc.jpg

Now, this little town is really fucking backwards even for Alabama. They have the highest per capita rate of opioid prescriptions in the state and have had multiple physicians and pharmacists arrested over the years. One practice was a father and son practice and the father was sleeping with his son’s wife so the son shot his father in his crotch with a shotgun at their practice during the middle of the work day.

None of that means anything to do with the virus but just gives you an idea of what this town’s medical community is like and it’s a super Trumpy place. It’s also one of the only counties Roy Moore won too.

Anyway, this sign wasn’t in some dinky DO FP or chiropractor’s office - this was in a gotdamn pulmonologist’s waiting room.

It’s just unbelievable that there are actual medical doctors spouting this crap.

I told my partner I’m sending the picture and a formal complaint to the ALBME. And I may send it to the local news station too.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Wow, that makes me ragey.

Instead of a whiteboard with preventative measures such as hand-washing which is good for any viral infection, this message can only lead me to conclude *he/she is trying to add clients if he doesn't kill them off first.

*The handwriting looks female, so if the doctor is male, one of his office staff was tasked with the message?

Google reverse image search. 

Let me put this in Trumpkin language, while setting aside how woefully inaccurate that board is:

"the reason you must fear Coronavirus over all others, my fellow Americans, is because unlike those other epidemics you see listed here, this one is specifically coming for middle-to-old-age white people!  Take action now!"  

47 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I don't know what else to say besides you are wrong.

It's decently close to "mount" as a native english word.  Crescendo can mean "a mount, to mount, or mountingly" depending on whether it's a noun, verb, or adverb.  A cresendo is the result (and not the process) of proceeding crescendo  - in the same way that a mount the the result (and not the process) of proceeding mountingly.

OK, cool.  Hook'em.  (This is an extremely old debate that has rankled musicians for a century or more.  It's also utterly tangential to this thread, so I'm out.)

56 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Fine, then I Crescendo'd your mom last night.  Or more specifically, she Crescendo'd my me...and somehow, impressively, my balls too. 

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

That’s nice, but I’d prefer if she actually did her fucking job.

They passed a bill to get more money available to treat the damn thing. I'm not sure what more Congress can do if the executive branch refuses to act. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The lack of widespread testing is a scandal. 

Well, supposedly Trump can kill someone on 5th avenue and not lose support.  Lets see if that holds true when our parents and grandparents start dying.

Edited by Goredho

Well shit my friend either got hoodwinked or lied about seeing that sign in an office.

Thanks [mention]Anastasis [/mention] for researching.

Fucking hell - if all this misinformation is seeping into how real people communicate then we really are doomed.

I’m glad I didn’t act on what I was told - I’d look like a nutty idiot lol.

Well, even more than usual.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Well shit my friend either got hoodwinked or lied about seeing that sign in an office.

Thanks [mention]Anastasis [/mention] for researching.

Fucking hell - if all this misinformation is seeping into how real people communicate then we really are doomed.

I’m glad I didn’t act on what I was told - I’d look like a nutty idiot lol.

Well, even more than usual.

I’m a fan of gullible, female pharma reps.  Forward me her contact info, I would like to discuss some “networking opportunities”. Thx.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

They passed a bill to get more money available to treat the damn thing. I'm not sure what more Congress can do if the executive branch refuses to act. 

Publicize its refusal every day. Go on TV and attack Trump for covering it up. Exercise actual goddamn oversight. Imagine everything the GOP would be doing in her shoes, remove the racism, and do that.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

lol It was a dude!!

Still want that number?

33 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m a fan of gullible, female pharma reps.  Forward me her contact info, I would like to discuss some “networking opportunities”. Thx.

einhorn GIF

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Other than "to be purely evil," what reasoning could one have for this decision?

What's that?  No other reasoning at all?  Ok then.

Just when you think they can't be bigger pieces of shit, they drop another load.

Shouldn't this be something that is actionable?  It endangers not only the immigrants, but also the workers and visitors.  Are federal offices required to comply with state labor laws?

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk