CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

5 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

That’s nice, but I’d prefer if she actually did her fucking job.

you're right, she should meet with him to discu...oh wait. his feelings are hurt b/c she tore up his speech two months ago so he's refusing to even meet with her. oh well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, in this scenario, only one side is trying to solve the problem.

Please self-quarantine such weak "both sides" takes for 14 days, lest thet spread to our stronger "both sides" posters. 2/10.

Sorry for your confusion.

18 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I don't see the point in adding Chinese.  If you say Coronavirus, people know what you are talking about it.  Covid-19 is technically specific to the disease "COronaVIrus Disease-2019" rather than the virus itself, but is useful for distinguishing it from other strains. 

Edit: it would have been like saying "our black President" when Obama was President.  Sure, it's correct, but what is the purpose for stating it.  If his race has some bearing on the discussion, cool.  If it doesn't, yeah, it's probably racist. 

I just like calling it the Wuhan cause I’ve always liked gallows humor and it sounds “funnier” that way. On the other hand, I think it depends on who is saying it. If you watch rick and morty, some people can’t say “squantch” cause it just sounds ... gross. Same here, if a hard core trumper “Build the wall” fucko says it, I’m assuming the worst. But a normal looking person? I’m cool with it. 

• Like 2

So "Chinese" is a race?  Did not know that, thought it was a nationality.  Actually, somebody told me that in Canadian in once, so I should remember.

I'm on the committee to rename Spanish Influenza to Espana Flu.  We don't have a lot of support 

2 minutes ago, Tuco said:

- Smoking bad.  Obesity bad.  We smoke less than the Chinese, but are fatter.  Chinese men smoke more than Chinese women, so that probably explains the gender bias in fatalities. 

there are also a lot more chinese men than chinese women, yes?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there are also a lot more chinese men than chinese women, yes?

I'm not sure, but that wouldn't affect the bias.  It's not how many men vs. women, but of the men who catch it, how many die. 

1 hour ago, F250 said:

They will be dead. Too many of those folks have underlying conditions like hypertension and diabetes not to mention their age bracket.

So are you saying I need to sell my Lil Rascal, Clapper Industries, and Life Alert stocks?

Seriously, Goldman Sachs et al lining up at the trough while Americans can't afford to pay for testing or even get testing is the upper class slap in the face on home turf not unlike the private defense industry profits off of the death of innocent civilians overseas.

We need change and we need it now.

11 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Biden should cancel every event until November 3.  he'll win in a landslide.

Agreed. And when he debates Trump he is only allowed to say "have you no decency" over and over. That's all it will take and yet, he will figure out a way to fuck it up. This country can't have nice things. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's something like 51/49, but I have no idea how it breaks down on age.

If there are more younger men, it would imply that the fatality bias is understated.  (Because you'd have more men in the younger age group, who are less affected.) 

Just heard on KUT, Texas isn't sending samples to the CDC in Atlanta anymore,  and we currently have the capacity to test a grand total of 100 patients per day in this state. They said we're ramping up, but that seems exceedingly low for a state of about roughly 30 million souls.

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Just heard on KUT, Texas isn't sending samples to the CDC in Atlanta anymore,  and we currently have the capacity to test a grand total of 100 patients per day in this state. They said we're ramping up, but that seems exceedingly low for a state of about roughly 30 million souls.

What the state means is -- we can't test.  100 tests is effectively no testing at all.

• Like 1

Just now, gmr548 said:

... why?

They didn't say (in the interview), but my presumption was that they're trying to decentralize testing to get faster results, which would make some sense. Still, it seems we're being spread really thin in capacity at a critical time. That 100 per day in Texas ain't going to cut it by this time next week, I fear, unless they can add a zero or two to that 100 in the next few days.

If this thing drags out all the way to election, and they tell old folks to not go out, I wonder what effect it'll have on the election process. Older people proportionately vote in higher than numbers than younger generations:

In 2018, among those age 65 and older, voter turnout was 65 percent for women and 68 percent for men. In contrast, 38 percent of women 18-29 years old voted and 33 percent of men of the same age group voted

Source: https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/04/behind-2018-united-states-midterm-election-turnout.html

Absentee ballots.  The California Secretary of State was so pissed off at the polling place waiting times last primary he said they would mail absentee ballots to all eligible voters.

Edited by otisdog

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

They didn't say (in the interview), but my presumption was that they're trying to decentralize testing to get faster results, which would make some sense. Still, it seems we're being spread really thin in capacity at a critical time. That 100 per day in Texas ain't going to cut it by this time next week, I fear, unless they can add a zero or two to that 100 in the next few days.

They’re trying to cause confusion.  Leaving it to the states muddies the waters.  My hunch is that the places reporting higher numbers are aggregating in some way from all available sources.

• Like 1

of course...

What about the bailouts for all the people who are losing money from cancelled travel plans? I know several people who cancels their Spring Break plans and are out thousands. Or the parents of the local HS’s going to Disney this coming week who have to decide whether to send their kid to Disney or not and then loose they 2k they already paid for the trip. Oh and the small businesses and service people who are up a creek financially because of SXSW being cancelled. So annoyed the people with the money the gay bailed out.

43 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

If this thing drags out all the way to election, and they tell old folks to not go die out, I wonder what effect it'll have on the election process. Older people proportionately vote in higher than numbers than younger generations:

In 2018, among those age 65 and older, voter turnout was 65 percent for women and 68 percent for men. In contrast, 38 percent of women 18-29 years old voted and 33 percent of men of the same age group voted

Source: https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/04/behind-2018-united-states-midterm-election-turnout.html

Fify

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

The last I read, the Spanish Flu originated at Fort Riley, Kansas.

I think the current line of thought is that it was first brought to Canada by Chinese soldiers.  Virology was very much an emerging science back then, so naturally the first semi-official detection was in the US.

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk