CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

If you're driving a car worth more than $30-40K, should you really be waiting in a long line of traffic in order to receive free food?

I just saw a piece on BBC News showing a long, snaking line of traffic at one of those food giveaway spots. They even remarked without irony about the makes of the cars. 'This one's a Mercedes!' As if it was a sign of the severity of the crisis that it's affecting comfortable middle class white people.

Here's a thought -- sell your fucking car and use the money for food. Why do you need a handout? Why do I always see video of lines of people in their cars lined up to receive free food? Are the poor communities where people can't afford cars being equally served? I never see video of lines of pedestrians, people who have to take the bus to work, waiting to receive assistance. Based on the video, they'd need a car to carry all the food and beverages I saw some lady loading into the back of her SUV. 

11 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

So it IS real. This snake in the grass was trying to divert funds.  And now people are telling her to go fuck herself. 

She doesn't really care. She's on a mission from God. Or a mission to put your money where she wants it to go. They all are. None of them care. None. Nothing happens to her or any of them. I watched her sit and smirk at the student loan hearings. I have yet to see any sense of shame or awareness other than perhaps when they get caught, but even then many adopt the Pompeo strategy of "Nah, you've got it wrong, nothing like that happened." Regardless, the Organization sticks to its agenda and that agenda is 1)Money and 2)Policy to consolidate power in their favor.

16 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

So it IS real. This snake in the grass was trying to divert funds.  And now people are telling her to go fuck herself. 

She should hang along with the rest of the traitors. 

These motherfuckers actually have me pining for the days of Tricky Dick. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Here's a thought -- sell your fucking car and use the money for food. Why do you need a handout?

More than likely the car is a lease or even on a note that's underwater.

Not justifying, just saying it out loud.  #noequity

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I was thinking this same thing.   Due to easy credit and pressure to consume, a lot of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.   I'm not saying it's not their fault for getting in these situations,  but it probably explains why some are hungry.   Others are just greedy as fuck.

4 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Well except when he kills, then kills again, then wipes out entire civilizations, then gets either bored or lazy once man develops advanced scientific knowledge and does nothing while man commits mass atrocities on each other. 

I believe something created what we see but to characterize that being's violence then sheer absentee indifference as love is insane. As a "father" it switched from being extremely brutally abusive to completely negligent running out in the middle of the night and disappearing. 

I mean, give your "kids" some fucking explicit direction and assurances at least a few times every 2000 years for fucks sake. 

That single line of footsteps in the sand? They were His.

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Get rid of the car. Spend your lease payments on food. 

I can only imagine how insulting it is to people who are in real need to see these images.

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I can only imagine how insulting it is to people who are in real need to see these images.

It's almost as if you took my statement as an excuse for their financial situation.

Almost.

Comprehension?

If you're driving a car worth more than $30-40K, should you really be waiting in a long line of traffic in order to receive free food?
I just saw a piece on BBC News showing a long, snaking line of traffic at one of those food giveaway spots. They even remarked without irony about the makes of the cars. 'This one's a Mercedes!' As if it was a sign of the severity of the crisis that it's affecting comfortable middle class white people.
Here's a thought -- sell your fucking car and use the money for food. Why do you need a handout? Why do I always see video of lines of people in their cars lined up to receive free food? Are the poor communities where people can't afford cars being equally served? I never see video of lines of pedestrians, people who have to take the bus to work, waiting to receive assistance. Based on the video, they'd need a car to carry all the food and beverages I saw some lady loading into the back of her SUV. 

People lend cars to family, and friends. And just cause it says Mercedes on it doesn’t mean it is not some POS from 1978.

This is akin to judging people parking in handicapped spots because they don’t advertise to you their health conditions or their family. (Get your cock out of my Chrysler!)

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

People lend cars to family, and friends. And just cause it says Mercedes on it doesn’t mean it is not some POS from 1978.

This is akin to judging people parking in handicapped spots because they don’t advertise to you their health conditions or their family. (Get your cock out of my Chrysler!)

Dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of nice, new-looking cars waiting in line for a handout. Am I the only one who sees how strange that looks?

What if they gave up their cable and Internet and used that money for food?

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of nice, new-looking cars waiting in line for a handout. Am I the only one who sees how strange that looks?

What if the car's paid off and people are broke NOW?

What if they need the internet to look for a job and they'll lose their unemployment benefits if they don't apply to x amount of jobs every month?

Why should people have to give up everything they have before they can get government benefits during a financial crisis that the government made worse?

You seem like a dickhead.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 9

56 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That single line of footsteps in the sand? They were His.

33 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No they weren't. And Jesus, get off my back. 

Okay, how about this:

We traced the call. It's coming from inside the house!

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Researchers culled through more than 200 million tweets discussing the virus since January and found that about 45% were sent by accounts that behave more like computerized robots than humans.

Wait, how do they know those are bots? Description sounds like a typical Fox News trumpkin 

• Like 2

When you ask why the companies that got billions in tax breaks used that money for stock buybacks (enriching the wealthiest shareholders - heavily weighted towards insiders) instead of setting aside those funds for operating reserves/emergencies....yeah...fuck the poor.
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They can't sell it.  There's no equity in it and they're paying 850/month for the next seven years, or until it gets repo'd next month.

But it is a valid point.  A goodly number of people are so materially strung out that the slightest disruption effectively impoverishes them.  Their income may (have been) well above the poverty line, but their disposable income is nil and their reserves are nil.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 2:33 AM, longhornmatt said:

How anyone can question whether Trump could cause harm to the bureaucracies at this point is mind boggling.  

He made the National Weather Service issue false reports on where a hurricane was going to land to try to cover for something dumb he said.  

He made the FDA and CDC release guidance promoting hydroxychloroquine for a month to try to cover for something dumb he said, until the evidence it was killing people became too large to ignore.  

He made the DOJ issue a false summary of the Mueller Report to try to cover for how damaging it was.

He made the State Department extort Ukraine to try to smear Biden.

He has fired countless people who were qualified for their jobs simply because they weren’t toady bootlickers, and replaced them with incompetent yes men.   And not just in the usual political appointee positions.  The scientists working on vaccines for COVID-19 don’t even escape the purity test if they dare (correctly) question Dear Leader’s latest lunatic medical misinformation. 

Look, I agree the bureaucracies are often slow moving and poor performers regardless, with the faulty test kit fiasco being  a prime example.   But we should try to improve them instead of saying burn it all down and grift what you can in the chaos, which is the new GOP ethos.

And whether or not the bureaucracies were ineffective before Trump, he’s undoubtedly made them much worse - to a cartoonishly comical degree.  This is like questioning if Nero could really let Rome burn.  Um, yes!  Have you looked outside?

I somehow missed this.  I did my duty and repped it but honestly was actually angry with myself for missing it the first time.  

This is the type of ammo I like to have on the off chance anyone around me tries to defend Dear Leader.  That rarely happens these days, but when it does ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

there are also some generous car companies deferring (and matching) monthly payments. maybe they don’t even have lease payments this month, they’re just trying to feed their families while they wait to see if they even have a job to come back to. 

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Huge chunk of America that was trying to impress their friends and family, riding high one moment then down the next.

I know, right? I can't believe all of these corporations that are begging for government handouts after a couple of months of low profits. 

• Like 9

It is certainly something to consider how much of our national economy and identity is dependent on our buying copious amounts of stuff that we don't need. 

But I guess the 'go shopping or the terrorists win' message from a while back should have tipped me off. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I know, right? I can't believe all of these corporations that are begging for government handouts after a couple of months of low profits. 

True. This speaks to a much larger problem in the US. Everyone is overextended. From main street to Wall Street. Very few companies are made to weather a storm like this. Few families have built up savings to weather a job loss or downturn. We're a consumption based society. We have entire industries built on this. And now we've seen what happens when there's a stop down in those industries. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Complaining about people buying luxury cars and internet while getting in line for the food pantry.   Not spending their money in the “right way”

Just say the quiet part out loud.  We know you want to. 

He hates naggers.

11 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Coming back to this, there is something else going on with Singapore's death rates.  Their case rates per capita exceed ours.  Either an issue related to attribution or something else entirely.

EYg_uf6UYAEU0vu?format=jpg&name=4096x409

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

But it is a valid point.  A goodly number of people are so materially strung out that the slightest disruption effectively impoverishes them.  Their income may (have been) well above the poverty line, but their disposable income is nil and their reserves are nil.

This is true.  And it's always been true.  I would hope that one of the silver linings to come out of this shitstorm would be that people might learn to live within their means and actually have an emergency reserve.  But if 2008 didn't do it, this won't, either.

Sadly, the same is probably true of the glaring fact that our national fatness has a lot to do with our death total.  We might wake up for a minute but then hey look, Popeye's.

Still, every single person who needs unemployment or food stamps or whatever else during this crisis had better damned well get it.  Regardless of our collective fatness or spending habits, the fact is that tens of thousands of people have died during this crisis who wouldn't have if we'd had competent leadership at the top.  And we've had to quarantine longer because we waited too long to start.  Our government didn't create this crisis, but it sure as hell exacerbated it.  So they can clean up the mess, too.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Coming back to this, there is something else going on with Singapore's death rates.  Their case rates per capita exceed ours.  Either an issue related to attribution or something else entirely.

EYg_uf6UYAEU0vu?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Which per capita are we talking about here? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1