CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

If wearing masks means school is fucking open, then roll with that process.  

It is imperative that schools are open and up and running this year.

4 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Instead the sign has “97 percent survival rate” and “sheeple” on it.

Stuff like this baffles me.  They use a phrase like 97 percent survival rate and think that means it's all much ado about nothing.  If they believe that number to be true and we all skip vaccines then we'd lose about 10 million people in this country?  And that's OK?  Really?

I'm sure in their mind the 97% survival rate just means THEY will almost certainly be OK in the end.  And that's all that really matters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, slorch said:

If wearing masks means school is fucking open, then roll with that process.  

It is imperative that schools are open and up and running this year.

yet our governor seems intent on ignoring the virus and pretending that everything is a-fucking-ok. 

seriously, i used to have at least some respect for abbott. he is persona non grata to me now. i think he is an evil person.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

We are too stupid to live, example # 458,972:   Arkansas nurse watches both parents die of Covid, refuses to get vaxxed, says she doesn't want people judging her.

The reason some people make you feel like it’s your fault is because it is you stupid bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm no graphic designer, and personally wouldn't want to get sued by Heineken for trademark infringement, but if you want to fix it and run with it, you have my blessing:

image.png.f13bc268814dd989abc166b3b2428a63.png

Oh, I like this.  

I am not an artist, but I would love to have ones that say Mask up, asshole with a carcature of various GOP political figures.  Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, DeSantis, Abbott, etc...

3 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Stuff like this baffles me.  They use a phrase like 97 percent survival rate and think that means it's all much ado about nothing.  If they believe that number to be true and we all skip vaccines then we'd lose about 10 million people in this country?  And that's OK?  Really?

I'm sure in their mind the 97% survival rate just means THEY will almost certainly be OK in the end.  And that's all that really matters.

One of the things working in the commodity business has taught me is that a 3% miss on something like corn yields, or sow farrowings turnings into 30% moves in other areas really quick. I don't think that is something that is grasped by the public at large very well. Also that if you get behind, it's hard as hell to catch up, so you have to stay ahead of things, and the cult of cost cutting is bring that home in a lot of lower end retail business now. Locally we just had a Family Dollar have all their staff quit, near the Burger King where all the staff quit after both places tried to run who they had into the ground. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Oh, I like this.  

I am not an artist, but I would love to have ones that say Mask up, asshole with a carcature of various GOP political figures.  Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, DeSantis, Abbott, etc...

I like the Dos Equis one because it's politically neutral

Slamming political enemies is fun.  What we need right now is effectiveness.

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Abbott limited the penalty to a max of $1000 for any entity that defies his mask ban, then it would definitely seem like he's privately ok if any entity defies it. He has the protection that he tried to prevent it and school districts can do whatever they want.  If an ISD superintendent brings in senior administration to discuss the matter for over a handful of minutes, they will waste over $1000 in wages in that discussion.

Someone posted a video recently of a Karen refusing to leave a school board meeting until they voted again on mask mandates. That was in Texas, right? I agree that the fines aren't shit, but has there been any indication how the GQP politicians and the Karens are going to react to the schools mandating masks? I could see an army of Karens armed with Abbott's order fighting these mandates tooth and nail. What a terrible time

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm no graphic designer, and personally wouldn't want to get sued by Heineken for trademark infringement, but if you want to fix it and run with it, you have my blessing:

image.png.f13bc268814dd989abc166b3b2428a63.png

Ok, I googled the trademark.  This is what I got.  Seems like this would be ok?

https://trademarks.justia.com/859/78/xx-dos-equis-85978999.html

Can a trademark person weigh in?

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm in a bad place today.  The first couple of rounds of covid were scary, but that was before we had vaccines.  This round of covid seems more depressing than anything.  Like we are purposely trying to make it worse.  Add the climate news coming out and it just seems like we are spiraling downward as a species.

yeah, i'm trying ringo, but i'm just not in a great place either.

this seems so goddamn preventable. the first couple waves, i wasn't happy. the first wave could not be helped. the second was from opening up too early, which i kind of understood, even if i knew it was stupid. this third wave is just due to obstinate jackasses, and i'm running out of empathy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

Hot Wheels is playing the rural vs urban card.  Bigger districts don't have the burden of the smaller ISDs where everyone knows most of the board members and that exerts intense pressure on those people.  Being addressed by some fairly anonymous person in a meeting is far less consequential than being cornered in the local grocery, bank or hardware store by a neighbor or fellow churchgoer.   That doesn't even bring kids and spouses into the equation, which usually multiplies the issues.   

Abbott is hoping that these rural schools treat everything like its 2018 again and Covid just doesn't take root.   If it does, you know he's already got some deflection ready.  

To the untrained, but wide open eye, this shit looks like it's in its infancy worldwide.  I think it would take something like the Black Death to move some of these people, but not all.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not sure.  I see pediatric beds filling up around the state. 
When you say low do you mean of them getting extremely sick?  If so wouldn't the amount of kids in ICU say otherwise?

Yes, low risk of serious illness. I’m just going on what the CDC and the statistics say up until now in terms of deaths and hospital admissions.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Son and DIL are 27 and just took the vaccine last week.  Imminent FDA approval absolutely affected their decision.
Their concerns about pregnancy and future family matter in the equation.

That isn't to say you're incorrect across the board.  People looking for an excuse will just find a new one.

Some people will certainly do that. Expect this to get a lot of replay:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/02/19/969143015/long-term-studies-of-covid-19-vaccines-hurt-by-placebo-recipients-getting-immuni

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

FB update from a HS friend who I haven't seen in 25+ years probably

“I just want to thank my brother ________ and _________ for being angels in my life. 2 weeks ago I got COVID pneumonia. I was done, thanked God for everything I had in life. It was the worst experience of my life. Do what you want but I will be vaccinated. Thoughts of God, my family and my son got me through. I'm ready for the next half of my life with my son.”

I posted my well wishes and then added I hate the vaccine got "political" and that it works. The posters and most of the respondents are in SA so I'm sure that conversation will devolve in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Seems like some pretty slipshod work by his god. 

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, i'm trying ringo, but i'm just not in a great place either.

this seems so goddamn preventable. the first couple waves, i wasn't happy. the first wave could not be helped. the second was from opening up too early, which i kind of understood, even if i knew it was stupid. this third wave is just due to obstinate jackasses, and i'm running out of empathy. 

I ran out of empathy a few months ago.  After shit hit the fan in March and April of 2020 here, you would think EVERY fucking New Yorker would have no problem getting the vaccine.  Nope.  Fuck them.  

If they die, they die.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

One of the things working in the commodity business has taught me is that a 3% miss on something like corn yields, or sow farrowings turnings into 30% moves in other areas really quick. I don't think that is something that is grasped by the public at large very well. Also that if you get behind, it's hard as hell to catch up, so you have to stay ahead of things, and the cult of cost cutting is bring that home in a lot of lower end retail business now. Locally we just had a Family Dollar have all their staff quit, near the Burger King where all the staff quit after both places tried to run who they had into the ground. 

We have a large Kubota dealer in the area, and he usually has well stocked yards and he finances them himself, not under an inventory program.   His stock has dwindled considerably, like from 50 to 5 on pretty much all models and implements.   Not sure if he is scaling back on purpose because he's not getting the sales, or he's having trouble getting stock.  Possibly a combination.   But scarcity of materials is definitely a consequence of this.   

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Need to figure out if the XX is trademarked.

Well, don't use my shitty graphics.  I did it in MS Paint.  The black font is wrong, it isn't precisely centered, and the "VA" and "ED" are not properly spaced from the "XX", either, and I made no attempt to get them horizontal relative to each other (or the "XX" for that matter).

43 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The next excuse will be it was given full approval too quickly.

And then you tell them that you knew they were full of shit the whole time. They know it, and they know you know they know it. And then mock and ridicule them every chance you get.

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I ran out of empathy a few months ago.  After shit hit the fan in March and April of 2020 here, you would think EVERY fucking New Yorker would have no problem getting the vaccine.  Nope.  Fuck them.  

If they die, they die.

the problem to me is that i cannot feel that way, because i have friends' and relatives' children who are not vaccinated due to age requirements. my mom and her husband are taken care of vaccine wise, so that's at least a relief, but a breakthrough case could even kill them due to their lifetime of smoking, etc. yeah, i know, they did that to themselves, but it's still ma. 

the thing is, i feel like watching the covid process is like watching austin fc. everytime we get in the box, we fuck it up. we social distanced and masked up in march of 2020. couple months of that, didn't quite put the ball in the net, but then we opened up, and guess what? second wave! so we all continued doing the right thing, experiencing a weird sort of social distancing and masking thing in our lives for longer, not going out to eat, etc. things got better, and guess what? we now have a vaccine! so i got vaccinated, my wife did so as well, and as soon as 12+ could, we got our kids vaccinated. 

and yet. here we are. 

fuck.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

We have a large Kubota dealer in the area, and he usually has well stocked yards and he finances them himself, not under an inventory program.   His stock has dwindled considerably, like from 50 to 5 on pretty much all models and implements.   Not sure if he is scaling back on purpose because he's not getting the sales, or he's having trouble getting stock.  Possibly a combination.   But scarcity of materials is definitely a consequence of this.   

Pretty much anything ordered now has to be pre-sold by the dealer before it goes out by everyone in Ag or ag adjacent. Until it slacks off no one is going to get anything for stocks until trade. I know of 1 Agco dealer that has basically 3 weeks of full plant production of the big tracked tractors and HHP models already on the books for fall. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It you know anyone who claims they don’t trust the vaccines because they’re not FDA approved, make sure to get them on record about whether they’ll get vaccinated once they receive FDA approval. Do that before the FDA grants their approval.

I ask every unvaccinated person I come across the same question: what does your doctor say?

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, don't use my shitty graphics.  I did it in MS Paint.  The black font is wrong, it isn't precisely centered, and the "VA" and "ED" are not properly spaced from the "XX", either, and I made no attempt to get them horizontal relative to each other (or the "XX" for that matter).

We need the Paint master to jump in on this. The aggy caricature sums up the anti-vax crowd. I want to see a drawing where it shows someone on a vent saying furk. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The biggest driver will be when public schools add it to the required list of vaccinations. 

I'm sorry, are you talking about public schools that Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick have some control over?

Abbott can't bring himself to encourage adults to get vaccinated. No way he allows it to become a required vaccine.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

the problem to me is that i cannot feel that way, because i have friends' and relatives' children who are not vaccinated due to age requirements. my mom and her husband are taken care of vaccine wise, so that's at least a relief, but a breakthrough case could even kill them due to their lifetime of smoking, etc. yeah, i know, they did that to themselves, but it's still ma. 

the thing is, i feel like watching the covid process is like watching austin fc. everytime we get in the box, we fuck it up. we social distanced and masked up in march of 2020. couple months of that, didn't quite put the ball in the net, but then we opened up, and guess what? second wave! so we all continued doing the right thing, experiencing a weird sort of social distancing and masking thing in our lives for longer, not going out to eat, etc. things got better, and guess what? we now have a vaccine! so i got vaccinated, my wife did so as well, and as soon as 12+ could, we got our kids vaccinated. 

and yet. here we are. 

fuck.

Kids that are not vaccinated due to agre requirements is different.  

And I am not talking about people who have been vaccinated, did the right thing, and then get a breakthrough case.  

Nope, my scorn and not give a shit is for all those people who have decided to not get vaxxed.  They die they die.  And I know a few of them here in NYC, that I would consider friends.  One, she hasn't gotten vaxxed because she had it.  I give her shit all the time.  She has said she will, but as of last time I saw her, she had not yet.  Another is a kid that is 30.  He says he wants to wait and see.  If he gets it, it is on him.  I cannot muster up any sympathy.  That may be harsh, but there it is.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Kids that are not vaccinated due to agre requirements is different.  

And I am not talking about people who have been vaccinated, did the right thing, and then get a breakthrough case.  

Nope, my scorn and not give a shit is for all those people who have decided to not get vaxxed.  They die they die.  And I know a few of them here in NYC, that I would consider friends.  One, she hasn't gotten vaxxed because she had it.  I give her shit all the time.  She has said she will, but as of last time I saw her, she had not yet.  Another is a kid that is 30.  He says he wants to wait and see.  If he gets it, it is on him.  I cannot muster up any sympathy.  That may be harsh, but there it is.

no, i hear you. 

it's just that the consequences will never be the same. we're doing it to ourselves. not you and me, but the royal we.. you know, the editorial.

this is our concern dude. we're kidnapping ourselves.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Just ask them this simple question: if you were getting on a commercial flight, and I told you that it had a 97% chance of landing safely, and a 3% chance of crashing and killing everyone on board, would you get on board?

Anyone who says "yes" is literally too stupid to live.

A 3%, or even 1% chance of death, is an INCREDIBLY high risk of death.   We have people who are legit afraid to get on a plane, and the risk of dying in a crash is 1 in 11 million.  WE completely changed our way of life, and our standing in the world, based on terrorist attacks, which even including 9/11, present a 1 in 30 million risk for Americans.  The risk of dying in a car crash -- which is much higher -- is still just 1 in 5000.  So, even if it has a 99% survival rate, COVID is FIFTY TIMES more likely to kill you than a car wreck.

29 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

We are too stupid to live, example # 458,972:   Arkansas nurse watches both parents die of Covid, refuses to get vaxxed, says she doesn't want people judging her.

Well, ummm.......

26 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The reason some people make you feel like it’s your fault is because it is you stupid bitch. 

....yeah.  This.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/7/2021 at 7:51 AM, Pancho said:

No it won’t, for several reasons.  And class isn’t the main predictor of vaccination status.  Moreover, class is subjective.  If you live in Souf Oak Cliff, work at the most dangerous Dollar General, cannot afford a babysitter, have 4 kids all under 7, and don’t have time to get the vaccine because of your life situation, THEY WILL LITERALLY COME TO YOU WHEREVER THE FUCK YOU ARE TO GIVE YOU A FREE VACCINE NO MATTER THE DAY OR TIME OR HOW DANGEROUS THE NEIGHBORHOOD IS. 

Fwiw, iirc only 24% of African-Americans are vaccinated in NYC. Pretty horrible optics banning 3/4 of AAs from being able enter a store, shop, etc.

• Fuck You 2

25 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, I googled the trademark.  This is what I got.  Seems like this would be ok?

https://trademarks.justia.com/859/78/xx-dos-equis-85978999.html

Can a trademark person weigh in?

I feel compelled to post this. It seems fitting. It’s a great album. For the anti-vaxxers, the first track is titled Blind Man in the Dark.

Govt-Mule-Dose-Cd-Sealed-Ltd-Digi.jpg

54 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm in a bad place today.  The first couple of rounds of covid were scary, but that was before we had vaccines.  This round of covid seems more depressing than anything.  Like we are purposely trying to make it worse.  Add the climate news coming out and it just seems like we are spiraling downward as a species.

So, probably not the place to say this, but I had to give up on the rest of the politics news, as I don't ever believe it gets better.  I do think we're on a downward spiral, that the duopoly that controls the US is, while very powerful, too short sighted to even keep the peasantry afloat.  And while the only real answer is an ugly revolution, I don't think that happens in my lifetime.  And if it did, it would be squashed pretty fast.  (see the BLM protests and what in actuality has taken place since).  In short, we're heading for some sad combo of China and Brazil, imo.  And yes, a good chunk of the lemmings are cheering and shooting the rod at their fellow mammals while the gleefully jump off the cliff. 

Sadly my only answer is make a difference locally, as much as one can.  And taking time to enjoy whatever you enjoy that's non-political.  It seems from out here that Austin has had a mild summer, compared to many summers in the past.  Surely that's a good thing.   Sports, even if our baseball team (the Mariners) sucks, can be a nice distraction.  I know you have some good hiking experiences.  When you're felling better, perhaps time to enjoy those while you can.  My take on the environment is I'm of course sad about it, so I try to get out and enjoy it as often as I can. 

Hang in there buddy.  We're all in this together (except for ant-vaxxers, fuck them).

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I am at the point now where I am actually BEGGING people to get Vaxxed.  It's sad that 90% of their uncertainty is based on the endless repetition of falsehoods often from Friends on facebook.  It's just sad that so many people are so willing to repeat so many lies about Covid.  But when you start lying about a President's birthplace, lying about a healthcare program with Death Panels, lie about fiscal conservatism and you spend wildly, lie about job creation and tax cut costs, lie about damn near everything political...  You simply are willing and happy to repeat the next new lie that makes you feel warm and fuzzy about NOT KNOWING WHAT IS REALITY.

Killing a few folks here and there is not a concern, not a worry, and quite frankly does not matter.  The self-delusion is all important, because without this delusion, they would realize how really fucking stupid they really are.  And that is why it is so important to Governor Greg Abbott to not let the reality of his constituents stupidity be pointed out.  

I guess on the bright side an unusually low temp Summer thus far has saved us from another Greg Abbott sponsored partial electrical grid collapse.  So there's that... 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

....yeah.  This.

Is the car crash thing still true? I know that last year covid was killing people faster than anything else, but I thought I saw that it had dropped below cancer, heart disease, car accidents and a few other things so far for 2021.