CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

24 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Is the car crash thing still true? I know that last year covid was killing people faster than anything else, but I thought I saw that it had dropped below cancer, heart disease, car accidents and a few other things so far for 2021.

By recollection, covid didn't top cancer or heart disease for the 12-month (Feb20-Jan21) period, but it was close.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

By recollection, covid didn't top cancer or heart disease for the 12-month (Feb20-Jan21) period, but it was close.

For the calendar year it was a solid 3rd. Well behind cancer and well ahead of unintentional injuries. 

But that also leaves out 3 of the 4 worst months of the pandemic in the start of ‘21. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If the plan is to fully populate schools ala 2019 but with masks I really don't see that making any difference.  The interaction and distancing of kids is just too low. Kids aren't adults they hang all over each other, use masks as Kleenex and touch everything.

Duke did a study on 100 school districts from March to June and found that masking, regardless of any distancing regulation, significantly reduced covid transmission in k-12 schools. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Somebody linked a story last night that put the number of actual herd immunity on this needing to be closer to 90% vaxxed, I think. We won't ever get to that level unless 25% of the current US population dies off.

I expect that natural immunity can contribute to that % as well. And I expect that’s the long term outcome of this. We get to 90% total immunity by way of vaccination and natural immunity. And on the way there a lot people will die unnecessarily. Potentially worse than that, a huge number of people will have life long debilitating complications. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Yes, low risk of serious illness. I’m just going on what the CDC and the statistics say up until now in terms of deaths and hospital admissions.

Our local hospital posted stats this past week for the public to see and it shows over 95% of those admitted for COVID are unvaccinated.  Only 5% from breakthrough cases and most of those will be going home soon.  Greater than 20 fold reduction in risk of hospitalization and death apparently with vaccines.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, don't use my shitty graphics.  I did it in MS Paint.  The black font is wrong, it isn't precisely centered, and the "VA" and "ED" are not properly spaced from the "XX", either, and I made no attempt to get them horizontal relative to each other (or the "XX" for that matter).

That was just a mockup.  If I do it, I would clean it all up.  :)  But it is a good idea.

1 hour ago, lmao said:

Fwiw, iirc only 24% of African-Americans are vaccinated in NYC. Pretty horrible optics banning 3/4 of AAs from being able enter a store, shop, etc.

NYC also put a lot of vaccination sites in poorer neighborhoods.  There is ZERO excuse at this point.  Do not care what the optics are.  Get vaccinated or stay the fuck at home.  

Oh, and get fucked Fozzz.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Our local hospital posted stats this past week for the public to see and it shows over 95% of those admitted for COVID are unvaccinated.  Only 5% from breakthrough cases and most of those will be going home soon.  Greater than 20 fold reduction in risk of hospitalization and death apparently with vaccines.  

We were talking about kids, not vaxxed/unvaxxed.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah that complicates the conversation for sure. It’s not as easy as stupid Trump voters.

It really doesn't.  NYC went OUT OF ITS WAY to get minorities and the economically disadvantaged the jabs.  The state passed laws to pay people to go get vaccinated and to cover sick time afterwards for side effects.  

They also had 24-7 vaccination sites and did home visit vaccinations.  If you are unvaccinated in NYC at this point and were eligible for the vaccine, then it is your own damned fault.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

yet our governor seems intent on ignoring the virus and pretending that everything is a-fucking-ok. 

seriously, i used to have at least some respect for abbott. he is persona non grata to me now. i think he is an evil person.

DeSantis is at least an actual moron. The extent to which Abbott doesn't have that excuse makes him evil.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, justhookit said:

I get where you are coming from, honestly. This shit sucks and I am beyond tired of it. I don’t travel like you do but I did have a trip ruined to France, Spain and Italy last year. I have a boat in Costa Rica that I basically have been unable to use for the last year and a half. That’s  roughly 4 grand in slip fees and maintenance every month. It sucks.

If I'm paying that much a month just to have a boat sitting at a dock, I better be living on the fucking thing.

the simpsons animation GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

This feels like Gary Larson should have made a Farside of people denying that the Barbarians were looting and burning Rome.  

He's still making new ones.

This one feels a bit appropriate. 

https://www.thefarside.com/new-stuff/407/frank-dale

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm in a bad place today.  The first couple of rounds of covid were scary, but that was before we had vaccines.  This round of covid seems more depressing than anything.  Like we are purposely trying to make it worse.  Add the climate news coming out and it just seems like we are spiraling downward as a species.

I'm right there with you. 

The delta variant and the potential for new, increasingly vaccine-resistant variants coupled with this new threat to children is a depressing game-changer. Wife and I were vaccinated as soon as we were able to get an appointment and now we worry about catching it and passing it along to our unvaccinated four-year-old. The covid of 2020 when we thought kids were mostly not at risk is a far less scary reality than the one where new variants can cause suffering from the vulnerable population that is unable to get the shot.

FUCK YOU ANTI-VAXXXING ASSHOLES. I  despise you.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

NYC also put a lot of vaccination sites in poorer neighborhoods.  There is ZERO excuse at this point.  Do not care what the optics are.  Get vaccinated or stay the fuck at home.  

Oh, and get fucked Fozzz.

I legitmately don't know who Fozz is. 

• Fuck You 4

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

This is some evil shit from a guy that is vaccinated 

I'm not a lawyer. I'm also not an Aggie, so I'm not asserting anything about anything I don't know about. 

There is a standard of "what a reasonable would do."

Is that a Civil Court standard or can it apply to criminality?

Does a reasonable person advocate or lead actions in defiance of scientific data? Does a reasonable person ignore evidence of the effectiveness of a vaccine, then try to block its use?

Is this reckless endangerment or any other crime?

Could these scoundrels be pursued in civil court for the damages they are doing?

I'm mystified that so much damage is being done yet there is no criminal statute to deter or punish the culprits.

Is there any way society can move against these monsters of self-interested sociopathy?

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

You keep saying this. I need names for these coolers. Who is going to give them a face saving out?

The same people who would otherwise show them counterproductive “compassion.” Instead of being kind or whatever, offer up excuses. And fib a little bit. Give them a hook, some reason to justify (to others but also themselves) an about-face on an emotionally charged issue.

“It made sense to hold off on vaccines until a few months passed to see if we saw negative reactions. Now that tens of millions have been vaccinated with no adverse effects, the science is finally clear that vaccines are safe and effective.”

”I think the cost-benefit analysis of vaccines with just Covid alpha was a tough call and can understand that someone might forego a vaccine given the low risk profile at the time. Delta sure has changed things. It’s just much, much more contagious and other, non-vaccine measures aren’t as effective at preventing infection now.”

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

fig leaf is for cover up.

did they mean olive branch?

Goddamn lag

The fig leaf covered their shame. The shame in this case is being the mark. The article goes into detail, Atlantic longform yo. 

The nurse up there can't admit she was wrong. Piling more shame on her isn't going to work. BUT EXACTLY WHO on the RW is going to give her cover? To be her fig leaf.

Yeah, riddle me that EB Harrington

No. They need someone like Tucker (but really, it'd need to be Tucker, Hannity, Charlie Kirk, Brietbart, the IDW dipshits, etc.) to tell them they should get the vaccine to own the libs or some shit like that. A lib they hate saying anything pro-vaccine, no matter how the message is delivered, will only make them more likely to refuse.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The same people who would otherwise show them counterproductive “compassion.” Instead of being kind or whatever, offer up excuses. And fib a little bit. Give them a hook, some reason to justify (to others but also themselves) an about-face on an emotionally charged issue.

“It made sense to hold off on vaccines until a few months passed to see if we saw negative reactions. Now that tens of millions have been vaccinated with no adverse effects, the science is finally clear that vaccines are safe and effective.”

”I think the cost-benefit analysis of vaccines with just Covid alpha was a tough call and can understand that someone might forego a vaccine given the low risk profile at the time. Delta sure has changed things. It’s just much, much more contagious and other, non-vaccine measures aren’t as effective at preventing infection now.”

It can't be a lib. It has to be from their own side

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

No. They need someone like Tucker (but really, it'd need to be Tucker, Hannity, Charlie Kirk, Brietbart, the IDW dipshits, etc.) to tell them they should get the vaccine to own the libs or some shit like that. A lib they hate saying anything pro-vaccine, no matter how the message is delivered, will only make them more likely to refuse.

Bing Ned Ryerson

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

For reasonable people, this might work.  

For 95% of these people, here's the response you'd get:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Maybe. But then libs can’t be there rubbing it in their faces, yelling “I told you so!” That’s how you get the other side to dig in their heels.

That doesn't help either, but it's mighty fucking tempting. Hell, I do it all the time. Just not to their face. Unless I am done with them completely. 

On 7/28/2021 at 6:03 PM, elfenix said:

people who've been conned refuse to acknowledge they've been conned, even when they know they've been conned. so they need help to do so. a 32 tweet thread:

^^ long thread with background on how marks need cover to publicly move past being a mark. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, heso said:

I expect that natural immunity can contribute to that % as well. And I expect that’s the long term outcome of this. We get to 90% total immunity by way of vaccination and natural immunity. And on the way there a lot people will die unnecessarily. Potentially worse than that, a huge number of people will have life long debilitating complications. 

Makes perfect sense but we don't know how long immunity lasts, either through vaccine or actually having COVID. Already, we are talking about vaccine boosters. My antibodies from March 2020 infection were gone by December 2020 (yet we don't know if I still was carrying natural immunity).

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Maybe...

"If you like your peen, get the vaccine."

Do this: white shirt, simple black writing:

"if you like your peen, get the vaccine."

-- Jason Isbell 8/9/2021

Reach out and let him know you're doing, donate the proceeds to Democrats running against Abbott, Rand Paul, DeSantis or charity groups and I bet he'd be 100% on board.

I just saw that Isbell is requiring all attendees at his shows to be vaxxed moving forward. If a venue can't make that happen, he won't play.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

That doesn't help either, but it's mighty fucking tempting. Hell, I do it all the time. Just not to their face. Unless I am done with them completely. 

I'm getting REAL close to the point where we should fucking perform gain-of-function research on the virus to make it MORE lethal to the unvaccinated.  Let's just be done with this shit, and give Darwin a helping hand.

They're happy to subject society to the risks of their choices, let's bring that shit home.

And yes, that's hyperbole, and farther than I am at this moment.....but not a LOT farther than where I am.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My company just extended work from home til January and vaccines are required to come into the office.

We've been set on 8/30 as our return to office on a hybrid schedule. I'm wondering if that gets pushed again. They just cancelled our annual Producer's Awards event which was supposed to happen a week from Wednesday. This was a makeup for Jan 2021.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm not a lawyer. I'm also not an Aggie, so I'm not asserting anything about anything I don't know about. 

There is a standard of "what a reasonable would do."

Is that a Civil Court standard or can it apply to criminality?

Does a reasonable person advocate or lead actions in defiance of scientific data? Does a reasonable person ignore evidence of the effectiveness of a vaccine, then try to block its use?

Is this reckless endangerment or any other crime?

Could these scoundrels be pursued in civil court for the damages they are doing?

I'm mystified that so much damage is being done yet there is no criminal statute to deter or punish the culprits.

Is there any way society can move against these monsters of self-interested sociopathy?

There has to be something that can be done.  I was wondering that myself.  I would love to sue Ron DeSantis for the shit job he is doing.  Abbott too.

19 minutes ago, C-Man said:

We've been set on 8/30 as our return to office on a hybrid schedule. I'm wondering if that gets pushed again. They just cancelled our annual Producer's Awards event which was supposed to happen a week from Wednesday. This was a makeup for Jan 2021.

9/7 was ours (3 in, 2 home) and it's been put on hold indefinitely.  

6 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am working up something now.  This is an excellent idea.  Think I could get a lot of people interested?  

I am thinking of doing two designs.  COVID VAXXED and ANGRY and COVID VAXXED and PROUD

Then on the back, for each one, a list of who we should be angry with.  And on the second, some sort of inspirational quote.  

Thoughts?

Picture of Donald Trump.

"Patriots will do what President Trump asks and Take the Trump Vaccine to Defeat the China Virus!"

Could be shortened up, but I'm just workshopping something that will stir up the Trumpers and confuse the fuck out of them.

• Hook 'Em 2