CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Cross-posted from DT

The UK upgraded the risk of Delta July 23 due to an increased chance of re-infection over Alpha.

At least equivalent CFR to Alpha, but they have low confidence in that number due to a small sample. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1005395/23_July_2021_Risk_assessment_for_SARS-CoV-2_variant_Delta.pdf 

Public Health England is widely being cited as saying Delta is 46% more likely to re-infect previously infected than Alpha , but I can't actually find where it's written in their reports, so take it with a grain of salt for now just in case. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/delta-public-health-england-jenny-harries-india-kent-b947397.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/23/phe-upgrade-delta-variants-risk-level-due-to-reinfection-risk

Edited by Pods

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah I’ve noticed this new talking point among the anti-vax recently that the Covid vaccine isn’t a vaccine because it doesn’t prevent spread like the polio vaccine. It’s obviously untrue but it’s a weird turn in the world of stupidity 

Went to Port A for a big family memorial service back in June and my 75-year-old dad recalled how the polio vaccine rollout (at least in Corpus Christi, TX). They fucking drove buses around, picked up people and took them to get the vaccine. No questions. Get off the bus and get in that line right over there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yes, that will solve the Covid problem in NY. JFC.

You and I probably agree on most everything Covid related. I’m sorry you don’t see that. Peace, woman.

Stopping unvaccinated assholes from entering the state or enacting strict quarantine requirements isn’t a bad idea.  It worked before.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Went to Port A for a big family memorial service back in June and my 75-year-old dad recalled how the polio vaccine rollout (at least in Corpus Christi, TX). They fucking drove buses around, picked up people and took them to get the vaccine. No questions. Get off the bus and get in that line right over there.

Port A did Covid vaccines in a parking lot at Island Moorings a couple of times. Literally everyone I know did it there if they hadn’t already done it at HEB like I did. There wasn’t a bus but is was really easy to go get it. Unfortunately the first 2 times they had excess shots, but they then took those shots to IGA and asked anyone that walked in the door if they wanted one.

• Like 1

But if we could just band together, you know, as employees and fight this!   

Coming Soon For The Unvaccinated: A $50 Monthly Paycheck Deduction From Your Employer

Employers are beginning to tack on a special surcharge of $20 to $50 a month to their unvaccinated workers, according to one of the nation’s largest health benefits consultancies.

To date, employers have offered gift cards, a day off from work, cash and other financial incentives to convince their workers to get vaccinated against Covid-19.

But the carrot approach is about to be joined by a stick that could cost employees up to $50 a month, according to Mercer, the large employee benefits consultancy that works with thousands of employers around the world.

“Employers have tried encouraging employees to get vaccinated through offering incentives like paid time off and cash, but with the Delta variant driving up infections and hospitalizations throughout the country – at the same time that vaccination rates have stalled – we have received inquiries from at least 20 employers over the past few weeks who are giving consideration to adding health coverage surcharges for the unvaccinated as a way to drive up vaccination rates in their workforce,” said Wade Symons, Mercer’s regulatory resources group leader. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2021/08/08/coming-soon-for-the-unvaccinated-a-50-monthly-paycheck-deduction-from-your-employer/?sh=7e195d247ae3

Just now, pyrohornIII said:

Coming Soon For The Unvaccinated: A $50 Monthly Paycheck Deduction From Your Employer

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2021/08/08/coming-soon-for-the-unvaccinated-a-50-monthly-paycheck-deduction-from-your-employer/?sh=7e195d247ae3

Needs to be more.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Stopping unvaccinated assholes from entering the state or enacting strict quarantine requirements isn’t a bad idea.  It worked before.  

I get where you are coming from, honestly. This shit sucks and I am beyond tired of it. I don’t travel like you do but I did have a trip ruined to France, Spain and Italy last year. I have a boat in Costa Rica that I basically have been unable to use for the last year and a half. That’s  roughly 4 grand in slip fees and maintenance every month. It sucks.

28 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I get where you are coming from, honestly. This shit sucks and I am beyond tired of it. I don’t travel like you do but I did have a trip ruined to France, Spain and Italy last year. I have a boat in Costa Rica that I basically have been unable to use for the last year and a half. That’s  roughly 4 grand in slip fees and maintenance every month. It sucks.

I had those same trips cancelled in 2020 (Spain, Paris, Italy).  You also weren’t here during the worst of it.  We opened up successfully during the summer because we kept a lot of people from coming here.  We discouraged them by putting the quarantine requirement in place.  Seems easy to put vaccine mandates in place.  That is the only way we are getting out of this because there are too many stupid, fucking selfish people in this country.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, justhookit said:

$4K/month for a boat?  God damn, that must be a hell of a boat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

We did this last time, even with the fucking airports.  There was a mandatory two week quarantine if you were coming into NY from high case states.  You were called and checked on.  Airports were the easiest to control.  Are you really this thick?

No not at all. It was impossible to get Covid, or now Delta in low case states? It’s impossible to control the spread of a virus if you are allowing travel. This isn’t even an argument. Y’all did very good in NY after the initial surge because you masked up and limited indoor dining and bars. I’ve been beating that drum since I started the Texas Covid thread. Again, I agree with you. Fuck, this is part of our problem. I get angry, you get angry and meanwhile nobody is doing anything constructive to help solve the problem.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

No not at all. It was impossible to get Covid, or now Delta in low case states? It’s impossible to control the spread of a virus if you are allowing travel. This isn’t even an argument. Y’all did very good in NY after the initial surge because you masked up and limited indoor dining and bars. I’ve been beating that drum since I started the Texas Covid thread. Again, I agree with you. Fuck, this is part of our problem. I get angry, you get angry and meanwhile nobody is doing anything constructive to help solve the problem.

We are angry, and honestly, all of us who are vaxxed and wearing masks should be.  We need to direct our anger at the unvaccinated asshats and the pols and media enabling them.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Two words…vaccine mandates.  It’s the only way.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

We are angry, and honestly, all of us who are vaxxed and wearing masks should be.  We need to direct our anger at the unvaccinated asshats and the pols and media enabling them.

Unfortunately, at least here in Port Aransas, almost nobody is wearing masks anymore. I was at an outdoor bar tonight and a guy gave me shit for using hand sanitizer after using the restroom. It was basically “what are you scared of the flu”? The bartender also questioned me wondering if they were out of soap. I’m like no, I do this everywhere I go.

I’m all with you on the asshats. But I think it’s more of an intelligence issue and it’s worldwide. Americans are just worse than most. I have a ton of Costa Rican friends and about half will never take the vaccine and the other half desperately want it but can’t get it. Their vax rate is around 15% because they can’t get it. So in that sense, we are lucky in the U.S.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn Dogg said:

$4K/month for a boat?  God damn, that must be a hell of a boat!

That’s cheap. I don’t even have a full time captain anymore. It’s a fishing boat. My friends with much larger and nicer boats are upwards of 10,000 a month. One of my very good friends budgets 200,000 a year for payroll and maintenance. That doesn’t include fuel, say 2000ish bucks per day. Or entry fees to tournaments. Friend just came in 2nd place in Texas Legends tournament this weekend. He won around 80,000. His entry fees including optional pots was around 30,000 (you can enter and fish for around 4,000 but if you did that and won without getting in the optional pots your payout would be 15,000). The winner won 200,000. There were 34 boats in the tournament. You do the math.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

More people have died from covid in this picture then all of the 160M vaccinated people combined.

[yoda] Fuck around, find out they did.[/yoda]

This is 100% false and why I get pissed off at spreading that kind of misinformation. EVERYONE needs to stop with the bullshit. Isn’t it enough to say that if you are vaccinated and get Covid you are like 10 or 20 times more likely to live? You are giving ammo to the stupid because they can easily see you are lying. Links to prove you wrong? Here, I’ll do it for you 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/breakthrough-covid-cases-least-125-000-fully-vaccinated-americans-have-n1275500

“Some state officials said that they could not be sure the vaccinated individuals had died from Covid-19 or from other causes. But other states directly attribute the cause to Covid-19: 32 deaths in Louisiana, 52 in Washington state, 24 in Georgia, 49 in New Jersey, 169 in Illinois.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/21/coronavirus-texas-vaccinated-deaths/
etc.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Was driving back through Sisters OR yesterday.  For Texans think Fredericksburg.  Real similar vibe.  One main road through town which jams up with both tourists and locals trying to get through.  Saw a jackaass with a home made sign on the side of the road at one of the slowing down points.   I thought it was going to be something like “out of work need food.”  Instead the sign has “97 percent survival rate” and “sheeple” on it.  Couldn’t make out the rest.  

The local and only big hospital around here is telling stories like Trauma Babe had posted.  And this idiot with his sign thinks he is doing something worthwhile.  I sure hope he catches it, I really do.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
Autocorrect

Employers are beginning to tack on a special surcharge of $20 to $50 a month to their unvaccinated workers, according to one of the nation’s largest health benefits consultancies.

To date, employers have offered gift cards, a day off from work, cash and other financial incentives to convince their workers to get vaccinated against Covid-19.

But the carrot approach is about to be joined by a stick that could cost employees up to $50 a month, according to Mercer, the large employee benefits consultancy that works with thousands of employers around the world.

“Employers have tried encouraging employees to get vaccinated through offering incentives like paid time off and cash, but with the Delta variant driving up infections and hospitalizations throughout the country – at the same time that vaccination rates have stalled – we have received inquiries from at least 20 employers over the past few weeks who are giving consideration to adding health coverage surcharges for the unvaccinated as a way to drive up vaccination rates in their workforce,” said Wade Symons, Mercer’s regulatory resources group leader. 

We have a $100/month smoker surcharge for our health insurance. They swab your cheek once a year to determine if you get charged the fee.

The feds need to get a national registry up and running since it’s too easy to forge a vaccine card as is.
  • Like 1

For anyone who thinks it's just the flu or kids are invulnerable to COVID (GRUhorn, DTdenizen, etc), we're running out of pediatric beds. Houston has none available in TMC. Seems like a wonderful time to start school with ZERO mask or vaccination requirements. 

Click2Houston: TMC Officials note surge in pediatric COVID-19 cases as ICU beds become limited

HOUSTON – The Texas Medical Center is reporting a rise in COVID cases with hospitalizations up over 400 percent this past month.

The TMC said they haven’t seen any type of surge since the peak of the pandemic in the summer of 2020, and many of the patients are young children who are unvaccinated.

“We have been seeing a huge number of kids coming in with Covid-19 infections and they are of all ages, from newborn to any age possible,” said Dr. Ali Naqvi a Pediatrician with UT Health.

According to reports, all five Houston Pediatric wards are full.

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

FDA approval expected by end of the month. I hope that moves the needle.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/09/health/covid-19-fda-approval-meaning/index.html

This will only affect the military. The rest of the idiots will just move the goalposts. The biggest driver will be when public schools add it to the required list of vaccinations. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yes, yes. I'm sure the vaccine hesitants out there will definitely get on board once the ultimate Federal agency that regulates approval of vaccines says it's completely safe. 

We're an incredibly myopic society that operates completely out of our own narcissistic prism. The vaccine hesitant won't get the vaccine until Covid personally affects them such as a loved one dying. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Anybody ever play the phone/tablet game, Plague? Difficulty settings were based on how hard it was to wipe out all humans. We started this pandemic on medium, but whoever is in charge of the simulation must have cranked it down to easy sometime around Thanksgiving. Pretty sure we are on kid-mode now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The risk is still very low for kids.

The risk for them catching it is high. Yes, the risk for having serious consequences is low. The risk of limited healthcare option, for those with serious issues, is high.

I wouldn’t blame a parent from temporarily keeping their kid out of school if they have the ability to educate their kid. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

FDA approval is just a cover excuse

Son and DIL are 27 and just took the vaccine last week.  Imminent FDA approval absolutely affected their decision.

Their concerns about pregnancy and future family matter in the equation.

That isn't to say you're incorrect across the board.  People looking for an excuse will just find a new one.

Edited by slorch

19 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I'm not sure.  I see pediatric beds filling up around the state. 

When you say low do you mean of them getting extremely sick?  If so wouldn't the amount of kids in ICU say otherwise?

Son and DIL are 27 and just took the vaccine last week.  Imminent FDA approval absolutely affected their decision.
Their concerns about pregnancy and future family matter in the equation.

That isn't to say you're incorrect across the board.  People looking for an excuse will just find a new one.

I imagine most people in the US with vaccine hesitancy are looking for an excuse.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Tack a couple of zeros on the end of that and then it might work.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, justhookit said:

Port A did Covid vaccines in a parking lot at Island Moorings a couple of times. Literally everyone I know did it there if they hadn’t already done it at HEB like I did. There wasn’t a bus but is was really easy to go get it. Unfortunately the first 2 times they had excess shots, but they then took those shots to IGA and asked anyone that walked in the door if they wanted one.

Every pre pandemic I assume every shopper at the Aransas Pass HEB will be dead in 6 months.

• Haha 3

Just now, Celery Man said:

Every pre pandemic I assume every shopper at the Aransas Pass HEB will be dead in 6 months.

I have felt that way about the entire industry since March/ April of last year.

Darwin is a slacker...

14 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep, when it gets approved the goal posts will move, again.

Morons gonna moron.

I've heard FDA approval as an excuse.  Now that FDA approval is clearly on the horizon, I'm hearing its being rushed and pushed through by the Biden Admin.  

So....it doesn't count.  Goalposts moved.

• Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Someone needs to sell t-shirts with this on it. 

I'd buy one.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ve got a son starting K tomorrow.  Luckily I live in California and masks are required (never thought I would see the day where I’m happy to live somewhere that’s not Texas).  Even if the risk is low, I’m with the other parents that don’t want to even take a low risk with a child that’s too young to be vaccinated.  This bullshit that governors like Abbot and DeSantis are pulling where they are risking kids lives for their own political gain is one of the most despicable acts I’ve ever seen.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I’ve got a son starting K tomorrow.  Luckily I live in California and masks are required (never thought I would see the day where I’m happy to live somewhere that’s not Texas).  Even if the risk is low, I’m with the other parents that don’t want to even take a low risk with a child that’s too young to be vaccinated.  This bullshit that governors like Abbot and DeSantis are pulling where they are risking kids lives for their own political gain is one of the most despicable acts I’ve ever seen.

With this is mind, what made you decide to send them back vs keeping them at home?

11 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

With this is mind, what made you decide to send them back vs keeping them at home?

Good question.  In this case, we’re not really sending anyone “back” since our oldest son is just now at the age where you start Kindergarten.  The town we live in is 90% vaccinated and fairly small.  The schools are requiring masks at all times and will notify/potentially shut down if there are any positive cases.  Even with all that, I’ll admit I’m scared shitless at the thought of what could potentially happen.

• Hook 'Em 2