CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is pretty fucking crazy.  He only won by 33,000 seats last time, it's killed off over 40,000 in his state, and I'm pretty sure that plenty of place in Florida have communities who could fund a GoFundMe for their superintendents ands school board members and raise their salaries in a day.

It's such an odd thing.   I get that they want to appease Trump and Trumpkins, but it's delving into self-sabotage territory in a bigly way.  They are trying to appease a fairly small group of diehard right-wingers, but they are driving up the turnout on the other side at the same time.

It's like he doesn't understand that a shitload of parents want their kids in schools, and masks will help with that, and he's willing to piss away the next election to try and keep mask mandates from happening.

40,000 people died of Covid in his state...and he's probably well over that in votes gained. His actions have taken him from Governor of Florida to quite possibly the frontrunner for Republican Presidential nominee, assuming the big guy doesn't run.

He's not pissing away anything; he's becoming a folk hero of the "resist" crowd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

This was one of my ex-wife's talking points early on when the vaccine came out. My 16-year-old daughter's sheer determination appears to have won out and we've got Pfiizer #1 done. Ex is saying it will be months before she allows her to get the second. Not sure quite how to handle this next one but one is better than none. Non-starter thus far with my 13-year-old son. Beyond frustrating.

Your ex can go fuck herself. Get your kids their shots. 

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I thought he wanted Texas to secede and be independent?

So, which state surrounding Texas has the personnel to send?

Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma are all having their own crisis right now.

Seriously, what state would be willing to just send folks to Texas.....when their very own state is in a crisis (or will be soon enough)?

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

This was one of my ex-wife's talking points early on when the vaccine came out. My 16-year-old daughter's sheer determination appears to have won out and we've got Pfiizer #1 done. Ex is saying it will be months before she allows her to get the second. Not sure quite how to handle this next one but one is better than none. Non-starter thus far with my 13-year-old son. Beyond frustrating.

My advice, while some might say is undiplomatic, is to stop being a pussy and tell your ex to go fuck herself.  After getting the kids the shot of course. What’s done is done.

And when she bitches about, tell her fuck you, sue me. Not a winner case against you IMO.

But I don’t know your personal  circumstances so I could be wrong of course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Life comes at you fast using the Joe Rogan research method 

If someone came out with a bulletproof study that said masks were of little use would it make the light of day? Would the author(s) be labeled right wing & have their careers put in jeopardy for putting out this hypothetical study? 

• Fuck You 19

2 minutes ago, lmao said:

If someone came out with a bulletproof study that said masks were of little use would it make the light of day? Would the author(s) be labeled right wing & have their careers put in jeopardy for putting out this hypothetical study? 

If your aunt had a dick, would she be your uncle?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, lmao said:

You don’t know how peer review works do you? The next best thing to a scientist after proving something they thought up works is proving something some other scientist thought up doesn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, lmao said:

Ya all those dumb doctors and dumb nurses who’ve been wearing them all day for years? Ya they should cease wearing them full stop right now. Just wait until a bunch of kiddos start dying when school starts. Hospitals filling up with kids in a coma and drowning in their own lung fluids are great optics. 

5 minutes ago, lmao said:

Congrats.  You've vaulted to the top of the list of the stupidest motherfuckers on this board.  Not necessarily for this post, but for your entire body of work.  Quite the accomplishment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, lmao said:

Clearly the liberal MSM would suppress this valuable study and it would only then be found on your Facebook feed posted by 25-30 or so of your Facebook friends. Many valuable comments would then ensue.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I will never understand the whole right wing anti mask thing. It’s just so fucking dumb. It’s like being anti condom because I pull out bro and she’s off her cycle.

Ya. For those of you who are married or in a serious relationship, if your partner came home one day and said, “I want to do some research about marriage and it’s long term effects on me. I need some space and time away from you to look at all the facts. Sorry I gave you a couple of STDs but safe sex is a personal choice and I think I need to travel US to do some research on that too. Tell the kids I said to stay in school and do their homework. I’ll see ya when I see yah.” 😁

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Clearly the liberal MSM would suppress this valuable study and it would only then be found on your Facebook feed posted by 25-30 or so of your Facebook friends. Many valuable comments would then ensue.

Wore my mask today. Any story that remotely skews positive is completely shit upon however.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The 'MSM' isn't liberal. I enjoyed fb while in college, however I'm not a boomer & thus use other social media apps.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I like Lamar Jackson. But he's one dumb motherfucker. Tested positive twice for COVID. Doesn't know if he'll get vaccinated.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/09/us/lamar-jackson-baltimore-ravens-covid/index.html

Like a lot of you, I’m just tired and feeling hopeless about all of it. Lamar Jackson has gotten COVID twice, but still just isn’t sure if he should get the vaccine, he really needs to do the research and consider both sides. 

On one side he has access to some of the best doctors in the country who are almost certainly telling him to get vaccinated based on all available peer reviewed evidence and their collective expertise. On the other, some loud friends and family and Reddit conspiracies without any factual basis. 

Tough, but what’s important is we don’t judge him as he makes this difficult personal choice. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, lmao said:

The 'MSM' isn't liberal. I enjoyed fb while in college, however I'm not a boomer & thus use other social media apps.

No the MSM is not liberal. It’s just like our politics. Corporate statists. 

That doesn’t stop the right wing wanna be fascists from calling it liberal though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Like a lot of you, I’m just tired and feeling hopeless about all of it. Lamar Jackson has gotten COVID twice, but still just isn’t sure if he should get the vaccine, he really needs to do the research and consider both sides. 

On one side he has access to some of the best doctors in the country who are almost certainly telling him to get vaccinated based on all available peer reviewed evidence and their collective expertise. On the other, some loud friends and family and Reddit conspiracies without any factual basis. 

Tough, but what’s important is we don’t judge him as he makes this difficult personal choice. 

I used to like Lamar Jackson.

Now I don’t. 

6 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

He also has one of the most dangerous jobs in the world for long term health. Yet a vaccine is too much? Moron. 

37 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

But I don’t know your personal  circumstances so I could be wrong of course.

You’re not wrong. And it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Get them their shots. When nothing bad happens to them, she’ll get over it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

By my math, it appears Derek booked at least $12.4M over his career, based solely on contract guarantees.  It's pretty easy to say "I retire" after making ~ $1M/year for 15 years consecutive, especially given how fucking spare he was.

He probably blew most of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s like they all have the same talking points of ignoramous…

The whole “emergency use authorization” anti-vaccine argument is such a load of shit. Once those are fully FDA approved the narrative suddenly shifts to “well then the FDA is bought and paid for and can’t be trusted.” Just a convenient argument that they can quickly shift the goalposts on when needed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I will never understand the whole right wing anti mask thing. It’s just so fucking dumb. It’s like being anti condom because I pull out bro and she’s off her cycle.

They fetishize over being oppressed victims.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

By my math, it appears Derek booked at least $12.4M over his career, based solely on contract guarantees.  It's pretty easy to say "I retire" after making ~ $1M/year for 15 years consecutive, especially given how fucking spare he was.

He probably blew most of it.

He’s mad about the government taxes. Cost him a cool 4 million at least because he’s labor, not capital. Can’t really blame him for that but that’s the system the top .01 have set up. Maybe next time don’t support the actual people who sustain that?

And the fact he probably blew most of it. 

35 minutes ago, lmao said:

Wore my mask today. Any story that remotely skews positive is completely shit upon however.

You're the one who shit on the positive story about the efficacy of mask usage with yet another contrarian and wholly unsupported insinuation that masks don't work, which in turn further muddies the waters on a clear-cut issue of public health. Go back to posting anti-mask/anti-vax shit on Facebook or whatever other social media you use. Maybe you'll get one of your friends or family killed.

HEY LURKERS!!! DON'T LISTEN TO A THING THIS GUY SAYS. LMAO IS A KNOWN SHIT POSTING TROLL.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 3

Yeah, guessing this will be thought of as a dumb question but as a fully vaccinated person does the mask wearing protect me or is it to protect the unvaccinated at this point?  I have noticed more and more people wearing masks here in DFW at the grocery stores and drug stores so I was wondering if it I should go back to the full mask thing at this point.  Once again, not a scientist and yes “just asking questions” but if I am wearing masks at this point to help protect the unvaccinated well I kind of have no issues with what happens to them based on their choices.  Kind of like you choose to not wear a helmet when riding a motor cycle and then crash and get brain damage I look at it like that was your choice dumbass and I don’t feel sorry for you.  I get some people can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons or because they are under 15 but the spread is going to happen because of the unvaccinated not because of the vaccinated at this point I believe (could be wrong so tell me if I am).  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Can you believe the nerve of this Abbott motherfucker?  Asking for out of state help, the other states might tell him to get fucked.  Can Longhorn Nation disown him?

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/article253382138.html

So does this mean the next time our grid shuts down abbot is gonna ask out of state for some electricity help?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Yeah, guessing this will be thought of as a dumb question but as a fully vaccinated person does the mask wearing protect me or is it to protect the unvaccinated at this point?  I have noticed more and more people wearing masks here in DFW at the grocery stores and drug stores so I was wondering if it I should go back to the full mask thing at this point.  Once again, not a scientist and yes “just asking questions” but if I am wearing masks at this point to help protect the unvaccinated well I kind of have no issues with what happens to them based on their choices.  Kind of like you choose to not wear a helmet when riding a motor cycle and then crash and get brain damage I look at it like that was your choice dumbass and I don’t feel sorry for you.  I get some people can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons or because they are under 15 but the spread is going to happen because of the unvaccinated not because of the vaccinated at this point I believe (could be wrong so tell me if I am).  

Vaxed and masked in Denton. But, I have to admit it's situational. Sometimes I will go in to grab lunch without it. But, I won't set foot in a grocery unmasked. 

It was nice going all winter with no cold or flu. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/08/us-settles-with-trump-admin-whistleblower-who-exposed-botched-covid-response/

The US government has reached a financial settlement with whistleblower Rick Bright, a former health official who detailed the Trump administration's botched response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Bright is an immunology expert who led the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) until he says he was forced out of his position in April 2020. We wrote a detailed summary of the whistleblower complaint he filed shortly after.

The US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced its settlement with Bright today. "The agency would like to thank Dr. Bright for his dedicated public service and for the contributions he made to addressing the COVID-19 pandemic while he served as BARDA Director. We wish him well in his new endeavors," the HHS statement said.

Details of the settlement were not officially released. "But Dr. Bright's lawyer, Debra S. Katz, said her client had been compensated to the fullest extent allowed by the law," The New York Times wrote. "She said he will receive back pay, as well as damages to cover the costs of private security and temporary housing that he required after receiving threats. He will also receive compensation, Ms. Katz said, for distress 'associated with the disparaging comments and threats' made by administration officials including [President] Trump, who had blasted Dr. Bright on Twitter as a 'creep' and a 'disgruntled employee.'"

Bright's complaint last year said the Trump administration's COVID-19 response was marred by cronyism and denial about the virus's severity. Bright said he was transferred to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in a "retaliatory demotion" after he warned about the severity of the pandemic and shortages of medical supplies. Bright also fought the administration's push for hydroxychloroquine, a malaria drug that Trump repeatedly promoted as a coronavirus treatment despite a lack of evidence that it would be effective.

The whistleblower complaint said:

Spoiler

Dr. Bright was removed as BARDA Director and Deputy Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response in the midst of the deadly COVID-19 pandemic because his efforts to prioritize science and safety over political expediency and to expose practices that posed a substantial risk to public health and safety, especially as it applied to chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, rankled those in the Administration who wished to continue to push this false narrative. Similarly, Dr. Bright clearly earned the enmity of HHS leadership when his communications with members of Congress, certain White House officials, and the press—all whom were, like him, intent on identifying concrete measures to combat this deadly virus—revealed the lax and dismissive attitude HHS leadership exhibited in the face of the deadly threat confronting our country.

Shortly before his dismissal, Bright concluded that "he had exhausted all avenues to alert government officials, who refused to listen or take appropriate action to accurately inform the public" about the risks of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine and thus leaked details including internal emails to a Reuters journalist. He was removed from his position days after the article published.

"[O]n the very day that [HHS leadership] involuntarily removed Dr. Bright from his position, the US Food and Drug Administration issued a warning that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have not been shown to be safe and effective for treating or preventing COVID-19," Bright's complaint said.

The World Health Organization says it does not recommend hydroxychloroquine to prevent or treat COVID-19 because of trials showing the drug is not effective against the disease and has side effects including diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, drowsiness, headaches, heart rhythm problems, blood and lymph disorders, kidney injury, and liver problems including liver failure.

Even in the years before the pandemic, according to Bright's complaint, the Trump administration's HHS leadership "pressured Dr. Bright and BARDA to ignore expert recommendations and instead to award lucrative contracts based on political connections and cronyism."

Bright told the Times this week that "going through the assault that I experienced from the last administration, going through the public criticism from the White House and HHS leadership when I was just trying to do my job, put a lot of stress on me. They were trying to find anything they could to disparage me and discredit me."

The allegations that Bright made against the Trump administration are still being investigated by the Office of Special Counsel, the Times wrote.

Bright now planning for future pandemics

Bright has since been hired by the Rockefeller Foundation as its senior VP of pandemic prevention and response. He is leading the group's "work to collaborate with leading global public health emergency organizations and entities to develop a pandemic prevention institute that aims to avert future pandemics by identifying and responding to the earliest alerts of a disease outbreak and stopping it in the first 100 days," the foundation said in the March 2021 announcement of his hiring.

Bright testified at a Congressional hearing after he filed the whistleblower complaint. At the hearing, US Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.) said that "Dr. Bright has filed one of the most specific and troubling whistleblower complaints I have ever seen" and that "he was fired for being right."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Yeah, guessing this will be thought of as a dumb question but as a fully vaccinated person does the mask wearing protect me or is it to protect the unvaccinated at this point?

Both, just as it has been. There are some studies (that IIRC not all the docs here are impressed with) that some vaxxed peeps with mild breakthrough infections can still shed a lot of virus, so the mask helps protect others in case you have such a mild (or even asymptomatic) infection. And it also lessens some the chance of you getting the breakthrough infection in the first place. But the unvaxxed are contributing a lot more to the spread, but you are helping a bit with a mask even if vaxxed.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I honestly think that’s what will happen. Especially if a team in contention has to forfeit a game or loses a game bc their star players aren’t vaccinated. I think it will be swift. I was listening to Ron Rivera (cancer survivor) pleading with his team to get vaccinated. The frustration in his voice and on his face…and yet not much progress on the vaccinations. 

After the NFL announcement about costing teams games and potential playoff implications, I have a feeling plenty of teams will be running in "fuck around and find out mode" when it comes to their players.

There's a lot of players who think they are a lot more valuable and indispensable to their teams than they actually are.  They all think they are Tom Brady.

• Hook 'Em 2