CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If anyone actually cared about facts in this ordeal., this graph would be the end of the mask debate.

22fef3a2-e3c2-4f3a-8bb5-ad3b0be9b345_1140x641.png

Guess what happened two weeks before that 7/21 peak?

I recently learned the below is also a fact. Wtf?  Why? But I think some of the people in these pics are anti-vax…

A1BECAC0-2CA0-4D92-B6F2-4C9A8FB39A6F.gif

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

At this point, I think they don’t think Trump is running. These are despicable, vile actions to win them base points. It’s not even about ‘22 anymore 

That's where I'm at.  These motherfuckers are just trying to win their primary next year, and the Presidential primary in '24, but they are fucking around and pissing off a lot of people who are going to show up in the general to vote against them.

They seem to have already forgotten that Trump lost bigly even with his base turning out in large numbers.

35 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

The whole “emergency use authorization” anti-vaccine argument is such a load of shit. Once those are fully FDA approved the narrative suddenly shifts to “well then the FDA is bought and paid for and can’t be trusted.” Just a convenient argument that they can quickly shift the goalposts on when needed.

Well, if the FDA is bought and paid for, and medical science cannot be trusted, then take no more drugs at all for anything. And stay the fuck out of hospitals. Fuck these assholes.  I am done with them all.  Idiots the lot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I recently learned the below is also a fact. Wtf?  Why? But I think some of the people in these pics are anti-vax…

A1BECAC0-2CA0-4D92-B6F2-4C9A8FB39A6F.gif

I'm afraid to put "241543903" with "Rule 34" in search.

And somehow that search on those numbers led me to this NSFW and NSFYOURBRAIN:

Spoiler

509771.jpg

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

36 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission. 

No it's not if done in earnest and this entire concept needs to die. Asking forgiveness is hard if done in earnest. 

It takes a huge gulp to say "I'm sorry".

It's an order of magnitude harder than asking permission. It's an order of magnitude easier when treated as a Get Out Of Jail Free card lip service with the expectation that forgiveness will automatically be granted once asked, if the "asking" part even gets asked, which usually doesn't by people who say this. 

The goal posts keep getting moved and that’s why for my own mental health I’m just not going to argue anymore with friends and those who are entrenched in the anti-vax crowd. I just can’t do it. Because it’s a circular argument that always ends with, “You don’t know what the vaccine will do to you. You don’t know what health issues you will have in a year or two or five.” I’ve just given up. I got my vaccinations. I wear my mask whenever I go out. Avoid large groups. I’ve done my part. I’ve tried to share the best information I have with the people I know. I’ve tried to be understanding and patient. That’s over. I’ve crossed that threshold. Done. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Yeah, guessing this will be thought of as a dumb question but as a fully vaccinated person does the mask wearing protect me or is it to protect the unvaccinated at this point?

I don't have it handy at the moment, but today I read an article in Forbes (so not totally whacko) that claimed vaccines reduced delta contagion for the vaccinated by 50%.  I'm not sure how they separated vaccine from mask, etc., but there you go.  It's a number.

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That's where I'm at.  These motherfuckers are just trying to win their primary next year, and the Presidential primary in '24, but they are fucking around and pissing off a lot of people who are going to show up in the general to vote against them.

They seem to have already forgotten that Trump lost bigly even with his base turning out in large numbers.

The goal is to win the primary while other segments of the Party works to restrict democratic voting as much as possible. They aren’t worried about winning moderates. They are worried about winning the base and cutting out as much of the opposition vote as possible. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So, somone made the argument recently that 98% of people survive COVID.  I have posited the question of would you get on a plane if there was a 2% chance it would crash?  I am waiting for a response.  

Math, people are not good at it.

How cheap is the flight and where is it going? 

• Haha 2

So, somone made the argument recently that 98% of people survive COVID.  I have posited the question of would you get on a plane if there was a 2% chance it would crash?  I am waiting for a response.  

I like this analogy -

Someone asks you and 99 other people to go in a room.

But they tell you ahead of time - 2 of you will get shot in the face.

You going in that room?
  • Like 2

Just now, Telegraph_it said:

How cheap is the flight and where is it going? 

LOL. Just so you know, 2% chance of a place crash is awful.  I would not get on that plane.  Current odds are 1 in 11M, or roughly 0.000009%.

If your chance of dying of COVID was 0.000009%, I do not think any of us would care if you were vaxxed or not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

LOL. Just so you know, 2% chance of a place crash is awful.  I would not get on that plane.  Current odds are 1 in 11M, or roughly 0.000009%.

If your chance of dying of COVID was 0.000009%, I do not think any of us would care if you were vaxxed or not.

Haha. I’m aware. It’s something I think about when flying my own plane with my current skill level. What are the odds? I keep going up. 

You are right. If air travel had 2% chance of crashing people are not going. Thankfully being vaxxed I’m sure my chances of becoming a Covid fatality are very very low. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

330,000,000 * .02 = a lot of fucking dead people 

• Hook 'Em 2

The goal is to win the primary while other segments of the Party works to restrict democratic voting as much as possible. They aren’t worried about winning moderates. They are worried about winning the base and cutting out as much of the opposition vote as possible. 

This. And it’s not any more complicated than that.

The GQP will literally pursue policies brag they know will kill people 1) in order to “own the libs” and play to their psychopath base, 2) without fear of consequences in the general election because their OPENLY STATED AND ADMITTED goal is to suppress all opposition voting.

Murderous fascists. I hate them.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

If you fly Spirit airlines your odds might be worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

330,000,000 * .02 = a lot of fucking dead people 

. . . and you, and I, and a whole lot of reasonably intelligent people started making this argument about 16 months ago when the shit really started to hit the fan, and nobody listened then, and nobody listens now, when it's actually MORE likely to be true because of the increased contagiousness of delta over alpha, etc.  I guess maybe the overall mortality won't be so bad because of vaccination and prior disease immunity, but it ain't good, regardless.

I've said it before, but I got the jolt of my life when my doc came into my hospital room where I was being treated for bacterial pneumonia, held up my x-ray, and said "look, even for an otherwise healthy guy like you in your early 30's, this has a 10% mortality rate.  We have work to do."

2% should TERRIFY people.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Same people will argue that the vaccine is too dangerous because 1 in a million had a dangerous reaction.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

You don’t know how peer review works do you? The next best thing to a scientist after proving something they thought up works is proving something some other scientist thought up doesn’t. 

I agree with you. It can be difficult to keep up with the discoveries in medicine. But I still like the process. 

Frankly, I am surprised at the number of healthcare providers  profiteering from misinformation known to be false when spoken while in the act of profiteering. It was disappointing, to say the least. And not a good public face for Medicine and its licensed professionals. Some of these people are/were M.D.'s and D.O.'s, which shocks me every time I see it. I don't question the M.D.'s and D.O.'s I have worked with on a professional basis. Do/Did these docs just not have enough work when they embark on quackery?

Edited by washparkhorn

43 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

image.thumb.jpeg.99443ac87bfdf3d1901d18ddf82bd4c6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, lmao said:

If someone came out with a bulletproof study that said masks were of little use would it make the light of day? Would the author(s) be labeled right wing & have their careers put in jeopardy for putting out this hypothetical study? 

You seem like life really confuses you.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Hell, there are almost 5700 passenger flights everyday in the US alone. If it was a known technological limitation of air travel that 0.5% of those flights--28 planes--were going to crash everyday, 99% of Americans would load up their shitty cars with their annoying spouses and ungrateful kids and drive across the country on vacation.

But wearing a mask and taking an "experimental" new vaccine is a bridge too far for something with a 99% survival rate.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Would you get in a car if I told you the odds of dying in a car accident is almost half that (1%)?

So 6.6 million Americans have died from Covid? And 150 million around the world?

Math. You are NOT good at it.
  • Fuck You 7

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:

So 6.6 million Americans have died from Covid? And 150 million around the world?

Math. You are NOT good at it.

Did you not understand the premise?  Someone used the argument that 98% of people who got COVID survived it so it wasn't deadly. I do not think I implied that everyone in America or the World had COVID.  If they did, yeah, it woud be 6.6M and 150M.  As it is, the actual death rate based on number of cases in the US (36M cases, 617k deaths) is just under 2% at 1.71%.  

You must have missed something.

I am actually very, very good at math.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Not to mention there are a lot of cases of people who survive Covid but are left with a variety of lifelong impairments such as decreased lung capacity, heart disease, cognitive impairment and so on. Just because someone survives Covid doesn't mean they get off scot free

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Haha. I’m aware. It’s something I think about when flying my own plane with my current skill level. What are the odds? I keep going up. 

I think about the same thing. I keep buying guitars and not making any steps towards a pilot’s license.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's put the air safety comparison in another light:

Over the past decade, worldwide commercial aircraft mortality averages out to 743 passengers per year.  This is for all commercial flights of 6 passengers or more.

So far covid has killed 4.3M people worldwide, in a little over a year.  That is more than 5,800X higher mortality rate than seen in commercial air travel.

What would we expect might happen if the air travel industry predicted a jump in loss of life from 743 to 4.3M people, next year?

It's simply mind-boggling how casual people are about this disease.  They simply do not know how to assess and scale risk.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's put the air safety comparison in another light:

Over the past decade, worldwide commercial aircraft mortality averages out to 743 passengers per year.  This is for all commercial flights of 6 passengers or more.

So far covid has killed 4.3M people worldwide, in a little over a year.  That is more than 5,800X higher mortality rate than seen in commercial air travel.

What would we expect might happen if the air travel industry predicted a jump in loss of life from 743 to 4.3M people, next year?

It's simply mind-boggling how casual people are about this disease.  They simply do not know how to assess and scale risk.

media hype !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I like to ask this one because the odds are real, lower, and obviously nobody would do it... 

If you have unprotected sex once with someone HIV+, you have about a 99.95% chance of not catching it. Would you risk it? 

6 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Competing for that coveted Trump endorsement. If Trump doesn’t run and endorses DeSantis, he will be the GOP nominee in ‘24 and that scares the shit out of me

Trump will give somebody an endorsement and then actively work against them because God forbid some other Republican get his "stolen valor." He's like the scorpion that hitches a ride on the frog's back to cross the river. A man can dream.

• Hook 'Em 2