CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Living in FL right now is getting a little ridiculous.

Two weeks ago, daycare was forced to close for a week due to a teacher testing positive. Thankfully, we had a family friend who offered to help out for the entire week. She was a huge help. She ends up testing positive on Friday when she started not feeling well…

My brother has had it. My grandparents both had it. My mother had it. We’ve had multiple positives at work. My boss’ daughter just tested positive. All this in the three weeks. Is this what NY felt like last year? Because this is how I thought it would feel when shit hit the fan back then. This sucks, and is exhausting. 

My wife and I were talking yesterday about the fact that somehow, someway, we are still dealing with all of this nearly a year and a half after it began. We have both become much less enamored with where we reside and just how stupid people really are.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Yeah it's a parent's decision unless it's hair length, color, dress code, or speech.

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I just took a moment to try to envision the citizens Abbott's press release must be aimed at. 

We have the worst men appealing to the worst in every person they can reach. On a massive scale.

3 hours ago, Chooky said:

Greg Abbott and his team are executing a crisis response to mitigate his self-imposed disaster response that is a direct result of his suck on Trump's taint response. 

That press release is one of a man who is definitely trying to manage a self-imposed crisis. If other courts start ruling against his taking emergency powers away from local cities/counties/districts, not to mention the lawsuit over the Texas Education Code mandating a safe environment, he's going to lose a lot of face with the MAGA crowd, with his primary not too far off, unless he tries to do something incredibly fucking ridiculous (I mean even more ridiculous than he's already done).  Like trying to get DPS to arrest school superintendents and the like or something.

I honestly wouldn't put it past Abbott to try and sic DPS on the school districts.  Or try and illegally withhold funding from the districts with mask mandates.

He gives no fucks if it's illegal, because the State of Texas is footing the bill, and all he has to do is make it through his primary next spring. He can drag out the court cases and the like.

He's gone beyond being embarrassing to UT grads, he's acting like his hanging on for his political career, and he may very well be - if he loses either in the primary or the general, his career is over.

5 minutes ago, Chult86 said:

Two weeks ago, daycare was forced to close for a week due to a teacher testing positive. Thankfully, we had a family friend who offered to help out for the entire week. She was a huge help. She ends up testing positive on Friday when she started not feeling well…

My brother has had it. My grandparents both had it. My mother had it. We’ve had multiple positives at work. My boss’ daughter just tested positive. All this in the three weeks. Is this what NY felt like last year? Because this is how I thought it would feel when shit hit the fan back then. This sucks, and is exhausting. 

My wife and I were talking yesterday about the fact that somehow, someway, we are still dealing with all of this nearly a year and a half after it began. We have both become much less enamored with where we reside and just how stupid people really are.

It was probably how New York felt initially (I did not know anyone personally who had it badly until November 2020, but apparently a lot of us had antibodies in April/May/June, and a round of sickness went through the office late January through end of Feb......), but once New York shut down, it shut down hard.  People actually did what they were supposed to fucking do, unlike Florida.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

I've fought several fights on a local level for things like VFD, school, POA and what I have come to realize that what it's going to take it to have the place burned down, then rebuild.   Sadly common sense or problem solving doesn't make any difference anymore.  It's all about not making changes, not spending money.

So who burns us down first? Plague or Climate Change?  

Perhaps if the plague can get rid of enough folks, we can stave off the worst of climate change.  So silver lining?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chult86 said:

No offense to you personally but you live in Florida and are just now figuring out how stupid a lot of your neighbors are?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I just took a moment to try to envision the citizens Abbott's press release must be aimed at. 

This person:

• Is not rational.
  • Cannot follow the simplest line of argument.
  • Cannot be expected to choose what is best for himself and his community.
  • Is unmoved by a threat to children in school.
  • Is convinced he's the best patriot and citizen America has ever known outside of Donald Trump.

We all know this, but it's old knowledge that can drift from focus. 

We have the worst men appealing to the worst in every person they can reach. On a massive scale.

The electorate is the problem. That's not fixed easily if it can be fixed at all.

Elected Republicans are ultimately to blame.  They enabled the dumbasses like the Qanon crowd, they gave credibility to dumbass ideas and conspiracy theories, they refused to call out Trump's bullshit for what it was, and they did all of this knowing that what they were doing was wrong.

Billy Joe Bumpkin in Butt Fuck, East Texas, is acting upon how he was raised, and the people before him were raised, and the people he is surrounded by, and he doesn't know how to handle social media and navigate around and through it to find out the truth. He thinks that because Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity are on a major "news" network at night, that they know what they are talking about, and that they have Billy Joe Bumpkin's best interests at heart, and not the interests of their bank account, their accountants, their stock brokers.

But the elected politicians - most of them are educated, well-educated in fact, and they know better, they know everything they are doing and saying is absolutely bullshit. They give legitimacy to the Hannitys and Tuckers.

And rather than try to be a leader to Billy Joe Bumpkin, rather than try to help him out the best they can, to educate him on things that the doesn't understand, Republican politicians play to his fears, they rile his ass up, they deliberately appeal to his baser instincts, they encourage the shitiness he grew up with, and that surrounds him, and they make him believe in conspiracy theories that are fake.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It can be.  Perhaps COVID is God's way of taking these fuckers out.  Worked with the Black Death.

MAGA in the 1350s:

WHY ARE YOU CATCHING AND EATING THE RATS? YOU DON'T KNOW THAT THEY ALL CARRY FLEAS THAT ARE HARMFUL, YOU DON'T KNOW THAT ALL OF THEM ARE DISEASED, YOU DON'T KNOW THAT I RELY ON THOSE RATS TO SLEEP IN MY BED AND KEEP ME WARM AT NIGHT, AND YOU DON'T KNOW IF I ITCH FROM FLEAS OR FROM THE STRAW MATTRESS!

5df773e1fd9db23cd26e63c8?width=1200&form

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That press release is one of a man who is definitely trying to manage a self-imposed crisis. If other courts start ruling against his taking emergency powers away from local cities/counties/districts, not to mention the lawsuit over the Texas Education Code mandating a safe environment, he's going to lose a lot of face with the MAGA crowd, with his primary not too far off, unless he tries to do something incredibly fucking ridiculous (I mean even more ridiculous than he's already done).  Like trying to get DPS to arrest school superintendents and the like or something.

I honestly wouldn't put it past Abbott to try and sic DPS on the school districts.  Or try and illegally withhold funding from the districts with mask mandates.

He gives no fucks if it's illegal, because the State of Texas is footing the bill, and all he has to do is make it through his primary next spring. He can drag out the court cases and the like.

He's gone beyond being embarrassing to UT grads, he's acting like his hanging on for his political career, and he may very well be - if he loses either in the primary or the general, his career is over.

Sending Troopers to arrest Superintendents would be monumentally stupid. No one has said anything against him on the R side in this round. Patrick is obsessed with trans kids. They have redistricting to do. I can envision him welcoming the TRO because it gives him cover. "Stupid lib judges and big cities. They aren't real Texans. Vote for me and I'll show'em."

He can see the bodies piling up too. He saw the shot of the hospital tent. He can't mandate masks. He can't even wear one. That mandate to be tested to get into the Lege means he knows it's serious, but he has to smile, shake hands, play the fiddle with the band, and keep getting that money.

It's theater. We're the chorus shouting at the players in this passion play of death and disease.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We keep weighing it a lot - wife is in education so her retirement is locked in, and she's got a while before she can retire.

On the flip side, she'll be able to retire when the last (for now) kid is out of high school.

I'm pretty done with the hot summers (this summer is full of lies!), and I'm really done with a state run by absolute dipshits.

We're fucking out of here, perhaps as soon as next summer.  Problem is, the places we want to go are just as fucked, but at least there are pockets of relative political quiet with nice weather and beautiful beaches (St. Pete Beach, etc.).  It's mostly an Abbott -> DeSantis swap, but with better views.

We'll never completely escape.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We'll never completely escape.

Very few places to go to avoid the idjuts. 
As a former Republican the best for me is to actually volunteer for dems running against Cruz and Abbott. 
As someone who has never volunteered for this stuff it seems crazy but the crazy has never been this crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Coworker tested positive in Phoenix and had the J&J vax. I posted about it another thread but our team meeting today was nothing but the vax is worthless see!!!! I work in Downtown Dallas and way more people than I thought are still against the vaccine in my company. Going to be rough

Don't name the company but what industry are you in? 

(Admit I hope it's administration at texum aggy.)

20 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Don't name the company but what industry are you in? 

(Admit I hope it's administration at texum aggy.)

Fuck, this is unintentionally funny due to the nature of the North Texas trumpers from Jan 6. I am in IT for a real estate company 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

This person:

• Is not rational.
  • Cannot follow the simplest line of argument.
  • Cannot be expected to choose what is best for himself and his community.
  • Is unmoved by a threat to children in school.
  • Is convinced he's the best patriot and citizen America has ever known outside of Donald Trump.

We all know this, but it's old knowledge that can drift from focus. 

The electorate is the problem. That's not fixed easily if it can be fixed at all.

feel-me-think-about-it.gif

Big hearty, "Fuck unvaccinated people." Just got my test back—Covid positive. 
For those curious I'm: J/J back in April. Since last Th night I've felt like I had a bad cold. Warm but not feverish. Congested nose but no shortness of breath. No loss taste. Cough was minimal, just clearing out phlegm after taking DayQuil/mucinex. General lethargy. 
On the upside, actually feeling better today. Slowly feeling normal again so thank vaccine for working like it's supposed to!  But still, fuck those unvaccinated idiots.  
I'm sorry to hear YC. Your experience seems like mine, also J&J. It took about 2 weeks to get a negative result. Enjoy Netflix, get some rest, and thank yourself for being vaccinated. I can't imagine getting hit with this thing full force.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Elected Republicans are ultimately to blame.  They enabled the dumbasses like the Qanon crowd, they gave credibility to dumbass ideas and conspiracy theories, they refused to call out Trump's bullshit for what it was, and they did all of this knowing that what they were doing was wrong.

Billy Joe Bumpkin in Butt Fuck, East Texas, is acting upon how he was raised, and the people before him were raised, and the people he is surrounded by, and he doesn't know how to handle social media and navigate around and through it to find out the truth. He thinks that because Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity are on a major "news" network at night, that they know what they are talking about, and that they have Billy Joe Bumpkin's best interests at heart, and not the interests of their bank account, their accountants, their stock brokers.

But the elected politicians - most of them are educated, well-educated in fact, and they know better, they know everything they are doing and saying is absolutely bullshit. They give legitimacy to the Hannitys and Tuckers.

And rather than try to be a leader to Billy Joe Bumpkin, rather than try to help him out the best they can, to educate him on things that the doesn't understand, Republican politicians play to his fears, they rile his ass up, they deliberately appeal to his baser instincts, they encourage the shitiness he grew up with, and that surrounds him, and they make him believe in conspiracy theories that are fake.

Excellent post.

Another aspect of the electorate being the problem is that the good guys don't know what to do nor do they seem to have the wherewithal to do it. People generally don't understand the basics of how this republic works.

Most see democracy as the final stage of linear evolution (I had that viewpoint most of my life) instead of a point on a circular process. Democracies are deposed as well as dictators. Both done with popular support.

I haven't seen a poll, but my guess is that a large number of people feel that the Trump defeat meant we returned to some oddball notion of normal. No. We distract ourselves with entertainment as the world spins increasingly out of control.

Arguably, the republic is in more danger now than any day when Trump was president.

I'll have rye on the ledge if'n ya don't mind.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

As usual, the party that hates on just about any kind of regulations leaves the real work of implementing and enforcing common sense to everyone else.  They say how bad government is, continue to get elected and prove it.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

No one has said anything against him on the R side in this round. Patrick is obsessed with trans kids. They have redistricting to do. I can envision him welcoming the TRO because it gives him cover. "Stupid lib judges and big cities. They aren't real Texans. Vote for me and I'll show'em."

I can see him welcoming the TROs as giving him cover.

He is being raked over the coals by his biggest opponent (Huffines). I don't consider West his biggest opponent - West pissed off the TRP and a lot of the big wigs (many of whom view him as a carpet bagger), and shit, even Fitlump was making fun of West on twitter.  

But Huffines is going hard in the paint and has been raging about schools kids in masks.  These are just a handful of tweets from today.

And Huffines retweeted this:

Edited by atomheartbevo

Broward County telling DeSantis to go fuck himself.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/10/us/broward-county-schools-mask-mandate-vote/index.html

The Broward County School Board voted Tuesday to maintain the school district’s mask mandate that was originally approved July 28. 

After listening to 48 public speakers and reviewing more than 350 written comments from local residents, the board voted 8-1 to keep the mask mandate in place, allowing exceptions for health and safety concerns only, according to a news release from the school division. Broward County schools started school Tuesday. 

“You can’t ignore this pandemic. It’s deadly, and it’s getting worse instead of better and the more we don’t use masks, the more we position the mutation of this virus to grow,” said Rosalind Osgood, school board chair, during the special board meeting Tuesday.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 9:04 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Are you friends with that guy? Friends can give each other shit for anything but I don't understand why a stranger would really care if someone cares about using hand sanitizer or not. You know, during the worst pandemic the US has faced in 100 years. In other words in any of our lifetimes.

No, just a random dude.

I’m fully vaxxed and I will admit I am still going to bars now that Delta popped up here. They are all open air and we sit outside. I live in a tourist town and don’t have enough fingers or toes to count how many people either comment something like “ I can’t believe they still have sanitizer sitting on the bar”, or my favorite “well you know the vaccine isn’t working so why get it?” We quickly move away from those people. It’s a pandemic and an epidemic of utter stupidity.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Fun fact for those who are unvaccinated and thus the most likely to require mechanical ventilation:

The anatomical feature that allows you to pour water through your nose like that—the vomer bone—is the same feature we use when securing your feeding tube.

Not to doubt you, but I’ve had a very lot of not fun medical shit up my nose (ulcerative colitis with end result my colon was removed) so I’ve had the nasogastric tube 4 times - initial one step surgery, emergency surgery for blockage and give me the colostomy bag, takedown of the colostomy bag and hook me back up to my ass, and then another blockage. The only time I had a feeding tube was IV prior to and after the emergency surgery, and it was in my neck/shoulder. So this would be a different kind of feeding tube than what I had? This was 20 years ago and I was completely out of it most of the time so I don’t remember the exact location, but I know it wasn’t my nose. I’m vaccinated, so hopefully I do not need to look forward to yet another tube up my nose. I had good docs who were kind and semi sedated me while sticking the NG up there (swallow!). Taking it out wasn’t much fun either.

Edited by justhookit

Montgomery county (the woodlands, Conroe) are experiencing hospital problems because of covid. like many other counties.  One of the county’s emergency rooms shut down today. The county is now authorizing $9m for temp medical workers to turn the crisis around. Can buy your way out of it?

Montgomery trails that state vaccination rate. Very conservative county relative to the other Houston-area counties. Their county judge is advocating vaccines but he’s been supportive of Abbott in every step along the way. That didn’t work out for them. Politicians have watched this crisis come at them like an Austin Powers steamroller. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

nm.

Hang in there dude, at least you’re not stuck in El Campo.   My wife’s mother came and stayed with us this past week, she got vaccinated (she’s 76) and wanted to visit her great grandson.  The amount of stupid she related from that place was crazy.  Lots of horse paste eating going on from what I gather. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Excellent post.

Another aspect of the electorate being the problem is that the good guys don't know what to do nor do they seem to have the wherewithal to do it. People generally don't understand the basics of how this republic works.

Most see democracy as the final stage of linear evolution (I had that viewpoint most of my life) instead of a point on a circular process. Democracies are deposed as well as dictators. Both done with popular support.

I haven't seen a poll, but my guess is that a large number of people feel that the Trump defeat meant we returned to some oddball notion of normal. No. We distract ourselves with entertainment as the world spins increasingly out of control.

Arguably, the republic is in more danger now than any day when Trump was president.

I'll have rye on the ledge if'n ya don't mind.

Do we have bottles of champagne on the ledge?  I am with you guys, especially on our ability to exit this fucking pandemic and what is waiting behind it.

I feel worse for a lot of you that are stuck in Texas.  I bitch about DeBlasio and Cuomo (Ding Dong the Witch is Dead!), but they are walks in the park compared to what Texas has.  At least my Senators and MOC are good.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I can see him welcoming the TROs as giving him cover.

He is being raked over the coals by his biggest opponent (Huffines). I don't consider West his biggest opponent - West pissed off the TRP and a lot of the big wigs (many of whom view him as a carpet bagger), and shit, even Fitlump was making fun of West on twitter.  

But Huffines is going hard in the paint and has been raging about schools kids in masks.  These are just a handful of tweets from today.

And Huffines retweeted this:

I sure would like to see some polling. That creepy fucker has billboards on 35 talking shit. 

The hypocrisy is mind blowing.

It was never mind blowing. The right doesn’t give a shit about what is good, facts, consistency, jails, reform, helping people, the military or anything else; only about funneling money to the elite and staying in power.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Hang in there dude, at least you’re not stuck in El Campo.   My wife’s mother came and stayed with us this past week, she got vaccinated (she’s 76) and wanted to visit her great grandson.  The amount of stupid she related from that place was crazy.  Lots of horse paste eating going on from what I gather. 

Oh, I'm good.  Believe it or not my far right Pat Robertson/Benny Hinn crazy parents got the vaccine as soon as they could.  Lots of mental leaps in their world, but that joke everyone tells about how God says I sent you all this help-->my parents have always liked that joke.   Plus, my mother said the vaccine must have been safe because if it wasn't "the media would have blamed it all on Trump."    Whatever it takes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2