CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Gee, I wonder...

image.thumb.png.97920a25074e361f9f0e48edb9ce26a6.png

What exactly do you think that proves?  I hope he experiences a miserable few days and maybe thinks about the consequences of his decisions.  I don't see how you go all the way to "wishing death" from that.

There’s no way a sitting Justice is not gonna get the vaccine.  Kavanaugh will be just fine after a few days of feeling like shit.  It’s a win win for all of us because this will prove my largely dismissed theory that fully vaccinated individuals can defeat covid with copious amounts of alcohol and weight lifting.  

6 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

What exactly do you think that proves?  I hope he experiences a miserable few days and maybe thinks about the consequences of his decisions.  I don't see how you go all the way to "wishing death" from that.

eh, I'm not rooting for death, but I'm not not rooting for death

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

I don't know, I guess that I have just been reading this thread and the FAFO one for a while. 

45 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
1 hour ago, Anastasis said:
From the NYT write up:
The federal government has placed advance orders for 1.7 million courses of Merck’s drug, at a price of about $700 per patient. That is about one-third of the current cost of a monoclonal antibody treatment.

So it is 1/3 the cost of the antibody treatment but many times as expensive as the two dose vaccine.

But since BIG PHARM made it, and the govt is ordering it....people will still refuse this.

I can't wait for the misinformation about a pill.  People have had plenty of workshopping on the rational for refusing a shot; those lessons will be applied to this as well.

He may have acted more responsible personally in getting vaccinated, but Brett Kavanaugh is absolutely responsible for more covid deaths than nearly any other single person in America. There's like ten people who can even come close to bearing as much personal responsibility. The other Republican justices, Trump, DeSantis, Abbott, Cuomo, and maybe Noem and another crazy Republican governor or two.

Desiring that those who cause immense harm to others face some form of justice is a pretty universal thing.  It's funny to see people pretending to be morally better than others by behaving as if that's actually a bad thing to want.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I can't wait for the misinformation about a pill.  People have had plenty of workshopping on the rational for refusing a shot; those lessons will be applied to this as well.

"If they can fit a microchip through a vaccine needle, imagine what they can do with a capsule."

Gaspill_3000px_240dpi_030118-3-of-6-1.jp

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

He may have acted more responsible personally in getting vaccinated, but Brett Kavanaugh is absolutely responsible for more covid deaths than nearly any other single person in America. ...

Desiring that those who cause immense harm to others face some form of justice is a pretty universal thing.  It's funny to see people pretending to be morally better than others by behaving as if that's actually a bad thing to want.

You are deeply brain damaged. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

There’s no way a sitting Justice is not gonna get the vaccine.  Kavanaugh will be just fine after a few days of feeling like shit.  It’s a win win for all of us because this will prove my largely dismissed theory that fully vaccinated individuals can defeat covid with copious amounts of alcohol and weight lifting.  

This is actually what I am hoping for.  Of course Kav is fully vaccinated and will experience zero to minor symptoms and will come out just fine.  I hope more people in his circle will use this example to get vaccinated.  As more high profile GOP operatives get vaxed and experience minor to no symptoms even after a break through infection occurs, perhaps the conspiracy theories of how harmful and ineffective the vax is will be more readily dismissed. 

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Flu is a very different virus that mutates differently.  Antigenic drift (accumulated small mutations) and shift (rapid but rare large mutation events) are continually introducing substantive changes to the way the immune system perceives it. See: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/change.htm

Coronaviruses do not undertake the same sorts of changes as the flu virus.  

Or have the same reservoirs.

Babe The Pig GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Oh My God Omg GIF

46 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

This is actually what I am hoping for.  Of course Kav is fully vaccinated and will experience zero to minor symptoms and will come out just fine.  I hope more people in his circle will use this example to get vaccinated.  As more high profile GOP operatives get vaxed and experience minor to no symptoms even after a break through infection occurs, perhaps the conspiracy theories of how harmful and ineffective the vax is will be more readily dismissed. 

Perhaps it will also convince his old crew to go out and get vaccinated after they're done drinking beer and lifting weights.  I only wish for the health and safety of P.J., and Squee, Donkey Dong Doug, and Handsy Hank, Gang Bang Greg, Dougie One Nut, and Tobin.  

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Meanwhile, in the not rooting for death of people camp, as being discussed in the DT vax thread...

Oral antiviral has some compelling data as a therapeutic. 

https://www.merck.com/news/merck-and-ridgebacks-investigational-oral-antiviral-molnupiravir-reduced-the-risk-of-hospitalization-or-death-by-approximately-50-percent-compared-to-placebo-for-patients-with-mild-or-moderat/

Merck and Ridgeback’s Investigational Oral Antiviral Molnupiravir Reduced the Risk of Hospitalization or Death by Approximately 50 Percent Compared to Placebo for Patients with Mild or Moderate COVID-19 in Positive Interim Analysis of Phase 3 Study

don't hurt your shoulder patting DT on the back

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/13427-cr-covid-19-political-talk/&do=findComment&comment=3665821

Edited by elfenix

Gee, imagine that.  Keeping politics out of vaccination efforts works.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/01/world/europe/portugal-vaccination-rate.html

Portugal’s health care system was on the verge of collapse. Hospitals in the capital, Lisbon, were overflowing and the authorities were asking people to treat themselves at home. In the last week of January, nearly 2,000 people died as the virus spread.

The country’s vaccine program was in a shambles, so the government turned to Vice Adm. Henrique Gouveia e Melo, a former submarine squadron commander, to right the ship.

Eight months later, Portugal is among the world’s leaders in vaccinations, with roughly 86 percent of its population of 10.3 million fully vaccinated. About 98 percent of all of those eligible for vaccines — meaning anyone over 12 — have been fully vaccinated, Admiral Gouveia e Melo said.

“We believe we have reached the point of group protection and nearly herd immunity,” he said. “Things look very good.”

On Friday, Portugal ended nearly all of its coronavirus restrictions. There has been a sharp drop in new cases, to about 650 a day, and vanishingly few deaths.

Many Western nations fortunate enough to have abundant vaccine supplies have seen inoculation rates plateau, with more than 20 percent of their populations still unprotected. So other governments are looking to Portugal for possible insights and are watching closely to see what happens when nearly every eligible person is protected.

Spoiler

False dawns in the coronavirus pandemic have been as common as new nightmare waves of infection. So Portugal could still see a setback as the Delta variant continues to spread globally.

There have been worrying signs from Israel and elsewhere that protection offered by vaccines can fade over time, and a worldwide debate is raging over who should be offered booster shots and when.

Portugal may soon start offering boosters to older people and those deemed clinically vulnerable, Admiral Gouveia e Melo said, and he was confident they could all be reached by the end of December.

But for the moment, as bars and nightclubs buzz with life, infections dwindle and deaths plummet, the country’s vaccination drive has succeeded even after encountering many of the same hurdles that caused others to flounder.

The same flood of misinformation about vaccines has filled the social media accounts of the Portuguese. The country is run by a minority left-wing government, a reflection of its political divisions. And, according to public opinion polls, there was widespread doubt about the vaccines when they first arrived.

Admiral Gouveia e Melo has been credited with turning it around. With a background working on complicated logistical challenges in the military, he was named in February to lead the national vaccination task force.

Standing 6 feet 3 inches, the admiral made it a point to wear only his combat uniform in his many public and television appearances as he sought to essentially draft the nation into one collective pandemic-fighting force.

“The first thing is to make this thing a war,” Admiral Gouveia e Melo said in an interview, recalling how he approached the job. “I use not only the language of war, but military language.”

While politicians around the world have invoked a similar martial rhetoric, he said it was critical to his success that he was widely seen as detached from politics.

He quickly assembled a team of some three dozen people, led by elite military personnel — including mathematicians, doctors, analysts and strategic experts from Portugal’s Army, Air Force and Navy.

Asked what other countries can do to bolster their own vaccination efforts, he did not hesitate to offer his best advice.

“They need to find people who are not politicians,” he said.

Before the pandemic, Portugal was fortunate to have a robust national vaccination program. It grew out of the country’s devastating experience battling polio, which was still affecting the country after Admiral Gouveia e Melo was born in 1960. He recalls when the daughter of a family friend fell ill from the disease and the suffering that followed.

Manuela Ivone da Cunha, a Portuguese anthropologist who has studied anti-vaccination movements, said that “vaccine doubters and anti-vaxxers are in the minority in Portugal, and they are also less vocal” than they are in many other countries.

Leonor Beleza, a former Portuguese health minister who is now the president of the Champalimaud medical foundation, said Portugal’s rollout clearly benefited from the discipline stemming from the nomination of a military officer.

“He formulated a communications policy about what was happening that gave credibility and trust,” she said.

As the task force devised the most efficient system to safely stream the most people through inoculation centers, they used troops to build confidence in the system. People could see the vaccines were safe as soldier after soldier got shots.

At the same time, the task force made a point of showing doctors and nurses getting their shots, as well, to drive home the message of vaccine safety.

While other countries have featured doctors, nurses, police officers and soldiers in their vaccine campaigns, Admiral Gouveia e Melo said the consistency of the messaging was critical.

Still, as the campaign moved onto younger age groups over the summer — with less than half of the public vaccinated — there were signs that resistance was building.

In a submarine, the admiral said, you are in a slow ship trying to catch faster ships.

“You have to position yourself and be smart about how to do it,” he said, “and seize the opportunity when it arrives.”

In July, Admiral Gouveia e Melo seized such an opportunity.

Protesters were blocking the entrance to a vaccination center in Lisbon, so he donned his combat uniform and went there with no security detail.

“I went through these crazy people,” he said. “They started to call me ‘murderer, murderer.’”

As the television cameras rolled, the admiral calmly stood his ground.

“I said the murderer is the virus,” Admiral Gouveia e Melo recalled. The true killer, he said, would be people who live like it is the 13th century without any notion of reality.

“I attempted to communicate in a very true and honest way about all doubts and problems,” he said.

But not everybody welcomed his approach.

“We don’t really have a culture of questioning authorities,” said Laura Sanches, a clinical psychologist who has criticized Portugal’s mass vaccination rollout as too militaristic and called for it to exclude younger people.

“And the way he always presented himself in camouflage army suits — as if he was fighting a war — together with the language used by the media and the politicians, has contributed to a feeling of fear that also makes us more prone to obey and not question,” she said.

Still, the public messaging campaign — including an aggressive television and media blitz — made steady progress.

“In the beginning, we had some 40 percent who were unsure,” Admiral Gouveia e Melo said. Now, according to polls, he said, only 2.2 percent do not want the vaccine.

As he stepped down from the task force this week, the admiral said he felt the country was on a good course. But, ever the submariner, he cautioned that vigilance would remain essential to ensuring that this war was won.

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I am absolutely rooting for his death. Not because of any anti-vaccine hesitancy or rhetoric but because I think he’s a piece of shit and I believe his SCOTUS decisions have borne that out. I know there is a still a segment in society that believes one should never wish death upon another, or respect the dead, that’s another high society one. I say fuck that. These people oppress at will, take people’s rights away with the stroke of a pen, and then want to accuse another of poor form. Fuck that. I’m not saying I want anyone to murder them, but if God sees fit to take the motherfucker out, then who am I to oppose his will. 

They support a man who said the Second Amendment crowd should “take care” of Hillary. So…. I truly don’t want to hear it 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 4:55 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Hits close to home. I just heard a childhood friend is in the hospital in Beaumont on a vent and not expected to make it. 4 kids, including 8 year old twin girls. Trumper, evangelical, anti-vaxer. 

Follow up. Dude made it off the vent, but is STILL in the hospital, and still on oxygen. The Gofundme dropped today. This dude is a blue collar plant maintenance type, so I'd imagine this will bankrupt him, even if he's got insurance. He's still got to go to a "lung rehab place" once he gets out of the hospital. I imagine that's a longish term rehab hospital or something but I don't speak Silsbee, so who knows. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I am absolutely rooting for his death. Not because of any anti-vaccine hesitancy or rhetoric but because I think he’s a piece of shit and I believe his SCOTUS decisions have borne that out. I know there is a still a segment in society that believes one should never wish death upon another, or respect the dead, that’s another high society one. I say fuck that. These people oppress at will, take people’s rights away with the stroke of a pen, and then want to accuse another of poor form. Fuck that. I’m not saying I want anyone to murder them, but if God sees fit to take the motherfucker out, then who am I to oppose his will. 

Pre-DOtaRd, I would not have been rooting for his or anyone's death.

Now, I hope he dies slowly and alone on a ventilator. And takes Squee with him. 

Don't blame me, blame the GQP.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Follow up. Dude made it off the vent, but is STILL in the hospital, and still on oxygen. The Gofundme dropped today. This dude is a blue collar plant maintenance type, so I'd imagine this will bankrupt him, even if he's got insurance. He's still got to go to a "lung rehab place" once he gets out of the hospital. I imagine that's a longish term rehab hospital or something but I don't speak Silsbee, so who knows. 

All that is true, but if he had gotten the vaccine he might have felt bad the next day.

Edited by HenryJames
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

In rural northeastern Texas, Titus Regional Medical Center CEO Terry Scoggin is grappling with a 39% vaccination rate in his community. Eleven patients died of covid in the first half of September at his hospital in Mount Pleasant, population 16,000. Typically, three or four non-hospice patients die there in a whole month.

“We don’t see death like that,” Scoggin said. “You usually don’t see your friends and neighbors die.”

Then there's this quote

"The nursing shortage hitting the country is particularly dire in rural areas, which have less money than large hospitals to pay the exorbitant fees travel nursing agencies are demanding. And as nursing temp agencies offer hospital staffers more cash to join their teams, many rural nurses are jumping ship. One of Scoggin’s nurses told him she had to take a travel job — she could pay off all her debt in three months with that kind of money."

This was all set into motion the moment Jared Kushner let those words slip from his mouth, "It appears to be a blue voter area problem at this time..."

It's tactical.  If bad actors like Brett Kavanaugh die of covid, they can no longer persuade thousands of Americans to shun good science and subsequently die.  

If my sharpshooter takes out their sharpshooter in the bell tower, their guy can no longer kill my guys.

Mission accomplished, both cases.  Fuck empathy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

it's only been a year?
My sense of time is all fucked up now. Things that happened the first year of the pandemic seem like years ago. Notable trips or big social events seem like they were a year or two more recent than they actually were. I also feel like I should still be 31 and not 33.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Working in medicine, you quickly become cynical when dealing with the type of folks that walk through your door. At no point in medicine do I provide different care to anyone based on how they approach their disease/ailment/symptoms. I work with everyone the way I would expect anyone else to treat me. That being said, when someone comes in and has developed a result in their health based on not following medical advice, I don't have sympathy. If you decided to run with blood sugars of 350 for 10 years and now we have to amputate your foot, I'm not surprised. If you went and smoked a pack of cigarettes daily for 20 years and now are dying of emphysema, I'm going to provide every bit of care I have but at no point am I shocked by the outcome. If you decided to ignore all medical recommendations to get a vaccine and you end up intubated in my ICU, I'm not going to treat you any different than the 12 year old in the next room over who ended up intubated because the car he was in was hit by a drunk driver. However, I will be much more emotionally attached to the outcome of the 12 year old.
I have no emotional attachment to people dying in ICUs from COVID who decided to not get vaccinated.
I remember the first time I had to tell someone they were going to lose a limb. Certainly do not remember the last one. (These were due to chronic, controllable illness, not trauma. That would fucking suck.)
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:
7 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:
it's only been a year?

My sense of time is all fucked up now. Things that happened the first year of the pandemic seem like years ago. Notable trips or big social events seem like they were a year or two more recent than they actually were. I also feel like I should still be 31 and not 33.

The regular rhythm of life's events has been distorted for many, if not most.

Somewhere some memory studies psych researcher is already studying the correlation between Covid and memory discipline.  The research results for this phenomenon will be interesting.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Wow, considering how much more densely populated urban America is vs. rural America, the fact that the death rate in Trump's America is twice that of Biden's America is quite something. 

Which one of the shithead chorus was pointing at pop density early on? 

So fucking stupid. South Korea and the US had the news on the same day. 

That ajumma ready to smackdown that fucker with a bunch of green onions is a hero.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

This is my 1st wife's niece.

I hope she doesn't end up in the "FAFO Roll Call" thread, but it could easily happen.

She's all caught up in the "Plandemic / I have Jesus in me" bullshit.3adf876b42ec6958ae75f4d023ab0888.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

She’s god a bad case of the stupids.  Alas, there is no cure.

• Rage+1 1

So fucking stupid.

https://headlineusa.com/leaked-doc-most-covid-death-vax/?utm_source=HUSAemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HUSAemail&fbclid=IwAR0UJMo68EFiyc48iknzouzsW9Q36eFZu9elnVGkHb6YQgKCtMAlubL7iM0

I'll save the clickthrough & post some screenshots from the website:

image.png.69a1fd13ada86d1450796a4ff790ac56.png

image.png.e479ecca81d8253ba9401b5ac3b50dfe.png

(link for "according to the document":  https://www.humetrix.com/powerpoint-vaccine.html )

image.png.21b4e77cde7fdcb66047dd0560055d45.png

image.png.612d1932eb9abb1df915574244c50658.png

& Then the comments...

image.png.991926b2957d02eb58649a5621f5f817.png

15 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

So fucking stupid.

https://headlineusa.com/leaked-doc-most-covid-death-vax/?utm_source=HUSAemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HUSAemail&fbclid=IwAR0UJMo68EFiyc48iknzouzsW9Q36eFZu9elnVGkHb6YQgKCtMAlubL7iM0

I'll save the clickthrough & post some screenshots from the website:

image.png.69a1fd13ada86d1450796a4ff790ac56.png

image.png.e479ecca81d8253ba9401b5ac3b50dfe.png

(link for "according to the document":  https://www.humetrix.com/powerpoint-vaccine.html )

image.png.21b4e77cde7fdcb66047dd0560055d45.png

image.png.612d1932eb9abb1df915574244c50658.png

& Then the comments...

image.png.991926b2957d02eb58649a5621f5f817.png

Shit like this should be taken off the internet as it is all lies and actually causes harm.

12 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Shit like this should be taken off the internet as it is all lies and actually causes harm.

How would we "take something off the internet"?  If the platform on which it is posted doesn't police that information, then there's not a lot that can be done, other than perhaps pursue legal angles (slander/libel, etc.).