CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

On 10/9/2021 at 7:44 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Can anyone find a link for me?

An anti-vaxxer I know has asked for proof that rates of transmission for vaccinated people are lower than rates of transmission for UNvaxxed.

npr had a segment on it the other day but doesn't link sources

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/11/1045084648/breakthrough-covid-may-not-be-as-threatening-as-scientists-thought

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Assuming that you are currently paying in $10k range (which may be totally wildly off), and adding $20k to that, that would put you in the $1.5MM range (at my rates).  I think that still counts as humblebrag, even on the surly?

Yeah, I guess so. I was attempting the opposite though. Our combined salaries mean we don't get hammered on state income taxes. There's no question that once your income reaches a certain level, your tax burden is higher in CA. As far as the house, we entered the RE market in 2013 with a $550k purchase. Thought we overpaid then. We've been lucky.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

So true.

When I've been looking at my costs to relocate from Denver back to Houston, I'm balancing cheaper property with the added cost of having a car again - no payment, but insurance and gas and maintenance.   Anything I feel like I "gain" from not paying CO Income Tax is almost fully offset by those 3 things.  

I'm lucky for being able to get a car with no payment for moving back, but for others, they have to factor in that too.  

You’re young and you got your health. Why you moving to Houston?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Assuming that you are currently paying in $10k range (which may be totally wildly off), and adding $20k to that, that would put you in the $1.5MM range (at my rates).  I think that still counts as humblebrag, even on the surly?

For a lakehouse maybe

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

If posted earlier, well, shit.  This needs posted again.

COVID context obviously contaminates the survey, so let's just cut to the chase. 

Based on the evidence available today, do you think that mandatory vaccination of children for COVID should be required?

This texags shit is fucking ridiculous.  Sadly this is a common mentality:

Because the whole vaccine push is nothing more than a compliance test. If they can get us all to bend the knee and inject something into our bodies to keep our jobs they can do whatever else they want to us moving forward; we are slaves.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

COVID context obviously contaminates the survey, so let's just cut to the chase. 

Based on the evidence available today, do you think that mandatory vaccination of children for COVID should be required?

yes?

i mean, what are our goals here, and how do we attain them? all last year, all i heard was "we got to get kids back in school." well, yeah. but i don't want my kids dying. my kids are old enough and have both pfizer shots, and will be getting the booster at the right time, but i can't get past this weird argument that "well, we aren't going to require vaccines, but we're going back to normal." 

kids are fucking dying.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

If all the selfish assholes 18+ got vaccinated, the kids under that age likely wouldn't have to get the vaccine. COVID-19 would be over in the US.

But, yes, I agree with mandatory vaccines if they will keep diseases such as polio, smallpox or the measles from making a comeback.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

yes?

I think that the question mark is appropriate.  I am not sure how we can answer this question with absolutely zero clinical data on the efficacy and safety of the COVID vaccines in children. If you think that we should mandate COVID vaccination in children, based on the data at hand at the moment, you have arrived at a pre-determined conclusion wrt to the question.  It certainly is not based on a data driven individualized risk/benefit assessment.  The situation is certain different for adolescents, and in particular older adolescents. But the question was framed around children. 

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

i mean, what are our goals here, and how do we attain them? all last year, all i heard was "we got to get kids back in school." well, yeah. but i don't want my kids dying. my kids are old enough and have both pfizer shots, and will be getting the booster at the right time, but i can't get past this weird argument that "well, we aren't going to require vaccines, but we're going back to normal." 

Schools where basic NPI are being implemented are not transmission hot spots, esp in the age groups (<12) we are talking about. And severe outcomes of COVID are exceedingly rare in these age groups.  If the rates of the hard endpoints (hospitalization, death) were similar among those age 12-99 to what they are in the <12 cohort, COVID wouldn't even be considered a thing.

I understand that it is personal for you.  As it is for me.  My adolescent daughter is fully vaccinated.  We accelerated out schedule with her based on emergence of the delta variant. My 7 year old has a history of reactive airway issues and was in PICU.  We will get the first shot into him as soon as possible when the EUA comes down.  My 10 year old has some issues with arrhythmia, so the potential of cardiac side effects post 2nd dose weigh heavily.  He'll get a first dose early after we let see a few waves of safety data come down after wide roll out. We will probably significantly extend the second dose interval for him though out of an abundance of caution. 

Mandates take what should be individualized risk/benefit decisions and force one size fits all solutions.  I realize that from a population level public health perspective, that is the basis of the entire childhood vaccination program. The lowest common denominator mouth breathing morons.  I'm gonna sit back a bit on the second dose for my boys and see what flushes out. Given the low overall risk, and the likely benefit afforded by single dose that is the balance that makes the most sense to me. I have absolutely nothing against anyone that comes to a different decision.  But if you (speaking generally hayden, not you specifically) are going to tell me that we need to take the step to mandate a COVID vaccine in children based on the data we have at hand at the moment, you might be the lowest common denominator target and should probably just let a mandate drive your decision making.    

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 4

So, if we can't vaccinate children w/o data showing the safety and efficacy of those vaccines, can we at least criticize the government for failing to test all age groups in early trials?

It seems a self-fulfilling prophecy.  At some point, if we are going to be rigorously conservative in vaccinating children, we're going to have to vaccinate children to see how it might play out.  Why wait?  Why do we not have enough data on hand to make the call now?

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

At some point, if we are going to be rigorously conservative in vaccinating children, we're going to have to vaccinate children to see how it might play out.  Why wait?  Why do we not have enough data on hand to make the call now?

I totally agree.  I would take issue with the "rigorously conservative" framing, but otherwise would find agreement.  The reality is that we will simply not know the safety profile until we have widespread deployment in children. This is not a situation unique to the covid vaccines or the current situation. The FDA regularly approves drugs with safety signals that can only be fully assessed after release to market. Cancer signals, adverse cardiac events, etc. The FDA is sandbagging the EUAs in pre-adolescents, and it is just regulatory theatre. They will never have the sample size from clinical trials to power the safety assessment. You are going to need to roll the thing out widely to get there. Every day they unnecessarily delay the readout that will drive the EUA delays accrual of the real world data that will drive the ultimate safety assessment.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Here’s a new “what about” trope being trotted out by Conservatives.

f60ec8981933f49d4629dd857b84bdf5.jpg

It should be required for those too.  That would be a state call though

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong . . . doesn't the limitation to employees of companies with more than 100 on staff, along with active military, pretty much eliminate the vast majority of Americans who could be "forced" to get the vaccine?

USA today said potentially 80 million workers could be affected. But, most people still don't talk about the OR part which was get tested every week.  If an employer chooses to go with vaccine only, that would be on them correct?

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

USA today said potentially 80 million workers could be affected. But, most people still don't talk about the OR part which was get tested every week.  If an employer chooses to go with vaccine only, that would be on them correct?

OK, "vast" majority was hyperbole.  Still, 80M out of, what 240M or so?

23 minutes ago, WBT said:

It should be required for those too.  That would be a state call though

I think that there is a pretty straightforward argument to be made that Medicare and Medicaid eligibility for adults should consider vaccination status.  If you don't want to make vaccination mandatory, at a minimum there should probably be some differential in the cost sharing scheme.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Unless demonstrated otherwise, anyone discussing the “jabs” is engaging in or with foreign propaganda and misinformation. My neighbors speak British English, so they come by the term legitimately, but your average Oakley wearer didn’t pick up the term from someone with good intentions.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mole said:

Unless demonstrated otherwise, anyone discussing the “jabs” is engaging in or with foreign propaganda and misinformation. My neighbors speak British English, so they come by the term legitimately, but your average Oakley wearer didn’t pick up the term from someone with good intentions.

Correct. "Jab" is an automatic red flag when I hear it. Nobody who is honest in their argument for or against vaccinations uses the word jab.

Colin Powell Dies at 84

A former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, secretary of state and national security adviser, Mr. Powell died on Monday, his family said.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

18hp-alert-powell-articleLarge.jpg?quali

Colin L. Powell in 2004.Colin L. Powell in 2004.Credit...Doug Mills/The New York Times

Oct. 18, 2021, 8:12 a.m. ET

Colin L. Powell, who in four decades of public life served as the nation’s top soldier, diplomat and national security adviser, and whose speech at the United Nations in 2003 helped pave the way for the United States to go to war in Iraq, died on Monday. He was 84.

He died of complications from Covid-19, his family said in a statement. He was fully vaccinated and was treated at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, his family said.

A full obituary will follow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/18/us/politics/colin-powell-dead.html?searchResultPosition=1