Do You Know Anyone Personally Who Was Murdered or a Murderer?

Vic Mackey

Interesting thread.  It's unfortunate that some bad shit has touched the lives of so many who post on this board.

I never knew him, but my great-grandfather was murdered by a hired killer in a land feud in Kentucky in 1903 -- real "Hatfields and McCoys"-type shit.

When I was a kid, my mom bought a pair of boots for me at a garage sale.  The boots were relatively old but still in good shape, and they fit fine.  I found out later that the kid who had originally owned the boots had, after becoming a teenager, killed one of his parents some years before and was incarcerated at the time.  I have no idea what his name was or when the killing occurred.  But I do recall getting all ragey inside whenever I put those boots on . . .  

Edited by Carl Spackler

This guy I knew in high school, he would hang out with us sometimes, had a couple of friends over at his house one afternoon just sitting around smoking weed. He got out his grandpa's sawed off shotgun and it accidentally went off while he was fucking around and he killed a girl. He got convicted as an adult with murder 2 because it was an illegal firearm. Served 15 or 16 years I think. 

A couple of years ago, another guy I knew growing up committed suicide by cop. I don't know how it all went down but somehow he ended up in a standoff on a county road surrounded by LEO. He was standing in the road with his bow (yeah I dunno, but Guy was standing there with his hunting bow) and he drew an arrow and took aim at one of them. 

My brother in law's brother was shot and killed by his next door neighbor a few years ago, just before Christmas. From what I know they had a longstanding feud with multiple ongoing arguments and a few fistfights, lots of intervention from law enforcement. The night it happened the neighbor came over and was yelling at our man from the front yard. Brother went outside to run him off and was shot dead right there. His wife had started videoing it when the neighbor first showed up because of the history and was about to call the cops on the neighbor again, it was all on her video.

Last week on Christmas Eve, (from the same sister and brother-in-law) my nephew's girlfriend's brother was murdered by some guy that told the cops he "just wanted to see someone die." That guy killed two people that night.

• Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, JMFP said:

This guy I knew in high school, he would hang out with us sometimes, had a couple of friends over at his house one afternoon just sitting around smoking weed. He got out his grandpa's sawed off shotgun and it accidentally went off while he was fucking around and he killed a girl. He got convicted as an adult with murder 2 because it was an illegal firearm. Served 15 or 16 years I think. 

A couple of years ago, another guy I knew growing up committed suicide by cop. I don't know how it all went down but somehow he ended up in a standoff on a county road surrounded by LEO. He was standing in the road with his bow (yeah I dunno, but Guy was standing there with his hunting bow) and he drew an arrow and took aim at one of them. 

My brother in law's brother was shot and killed by his next door neighbor a few years ago, just before Christmas. From what I know they had a longstanding feud with multiple ongoing arguments and a few fistfights, lots of intervention from law enforcement. The night it happened the neighbor came over and was yelling at our man from the front yard. Brother went outside to run him off and was shot dead right there. His wife had started videoing it when the neighbor first showed up because of the history and was about to call the cops on the neighbor again, it was all on her video.

Last week on Christmas Eve, (from the same sister and brother-in-law) my nephew's girlfriend's brother was murdered by some guy that told the cops he "just wanted to see someone die." That guy killed two people that night.

JFC. Being in your circle seems to be a bad omen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 minutes ago, royiv said:

JFC. Being in your circle seems to be a bad omen.

Ehh... The first two is just the result of growing up in a small town, you can't help but know most people close to your age.

The second two are on my brother in law. Shit, I just remembered that his little sister's first husband was also murdered a few years after they got married, about 17ish years ago. I think over a bad drug deal. All of those were in the Houston area.

I had the privilege of being at the crime scene the next day on this one.

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/frisco-teen-gets-life-sentence-for-parents-murder/

Seeing an insurance claim for the cleanup of brain matter sticks with you.  Seeing the actual brain matter really sticks with you.  Some things can’t be unseen.  Slept poorly for a little while after that experience.

This guy (the victim) was a barber at the Crestview barber shop in Austin before he apparently moved to San Antonio. Gave my son his first haircut and many more thereafter. Nicest guy you could ever meet, and he and his partner were foster parents to a number of kids. 

Weird, brutal murder.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023/04/27/suspect-arrested-nearly-one-year-after-man-was-found-slain-in-stone-oak-apartment-police-say/

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Can’t believe it’s been seven years this month. 

https://gunmemorial.org/2017/01/21/bryan-overseth

I remember that, it's not terribly far from me.  I've also done a bit of work in that neighborhood over years.  Pretty nice place, it just goes to show you never know what is going on.  

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/frisco-teen-gets-life-sentence-for-parents-murder/

Seeing an insurance claim for the cleanup of brain matter sticks with you.  Seeing the actual brain matter really sticks with you.  Some things can’t be unseen.  Slept poorly for a little while after that experience.

I redid a place after a murder suicide once, after the biologic clean up.  For some reason I thought they pretty much cleaned all that up nothing was left; that's not really the case.  Ultimately, it was odd, but the check cleared and a jobs a job.  It's just one of those things where you do your best to put that details out of your mind and do the work.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

I remember that, it's not terribly far from me.  I've also done a bit of work in that neighborhood over years.  Pretty nice place, it just goes to show you never know what is going on.  

I redid a place after a murder suicide once, after the biologic clean up.  For some reason I thought they pretty much cleaned all that up nothing was left; that's not really the case.  Ultimately, it was odd, but the check cleared and a jobs a job.  It's just one of those things where you do your best to put that details out of your mind and do the work.  

image.gif.17927d3cde766bc46cfe9ba9e739d4c5.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I have known one guy who was involved in the murder of two people, another guy who was shot, saw a woman murdered from about 10 feet away, and been present at an unrelated TDCJ execution.  I am not a member of a motorcycle gang.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

That’s when I learned biological cleanup was an  actual thing.  You call the same people who do flood remediation.  Scooping up brains ain’t cheap.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I have known one guy who was involved in the murder of two people, another guy who was shot, saw a woman murdered from about 10 feet away, and been present at an unrelated TDCJ execution.  I am not a member of a motorcycle gang.

Going to need more detail here Jax.

• Hook 'Em 2

My friends sister was raped and murdered in a Fort Worth apartment.  The killer was smart enough to put her in the bathtub and turn on the hot shower so that the steam removed any evidence and fingerprints.  Since it was an apartment the hot water never ran out which made a mess of the corpse.  

• Rage+1 1

I worked at Oshman's Sporting Goods in the DFW area when the Texas 7 events went down. Got a call from the regional manager Christmas night asking me to go to the Irving location on the 26th. I had not turned on the TV all day so had no idea what had happened. Regional guy just told me to turn on the news and that I was part of a group to be there in the morning to "clean up what they would let us".

When I pulled into the parking lot on the morning of the 26th there was obviously a heavy local, state and Federal police presence. I parked my truck right by the front entrance to the store so on every TV "update" when they ran B-roll of the store front while the talking heads gave no updates of any substance there was my truck. There was a real life chalk outline in the freight receiving area where the officer was killed.

Still amazed that they just let the Oshman's group walk right in to an active crime scene less than 48 hours after the capital murder of a police officer. The only real "off limits" areas for us were the business office where the safe was and the gun counter.

12 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

My friends sister was raped and murdered in a Fort Worth apartment.  The killer was smart enough to put her in the bathtub and turn on the hot shower so that the steam removed any evidence and fingerprints.  Since it was an apartment the hot water never ran out which made a mess of the corpse.  

How long ago was this? 

-- a family friend was murdered in Chicago.  She was jogging downtown, listening to music, and didn't hear the assailant come up behind her.  He dragged her into an alley, raped and murdered her.  The cops said evidence indicated she put up a helluva fight.  Middle of the day.

-- we had an unofficial "senior superlative" vote in high school to cover the more interesting topics that weren't part of the standard "most likely to . . . " list sanctioned by the school.  The guy we voted as "most likely to commit murder" ended up committing murder.  Knifed a guy in a local bar parking lot.  I think it was Murder 2 or some such, but he served quite a bit of time.  Harold Campbell, you should have listened to us.

• Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

-- a family friend was murdered in Chicago.  She was jogging downtown, listening to music, and didn't hear the assailant come up behind her.  He dragged her into an alley, raped and murdered her.  The cops said evidence indicated she put up a helluva fight.  Middle of the day.

This kind of thing makes me super ragey...did they catch the person who did it?  

Of course, even if they did there's no amount of punishment that would suffice for this type of crime.

Just now, DixonHur said:

Of course, even if they did there's no amount of punishment that would suffice for this type of crime.

I don't recall.  It was my mom's best friend's daughter, and I was already out of state at UT for college when it happened.

I don't know if this counts, because it could be filed under "he had it coming", but my Uncle Donnie (by family friendship, not blood) was killed in a mob hit back in the late 90's.

He had a pizza shop in Camden, New Jersey that made the best stromboli I've ever had, so that was the biggest shame of the whole thing for me.

On 1/3/2024 at 8:45 PM, conVINCEd said:

When I was maybe 8-10 years old I looked at some suicide investigation pics from a friend of my dad who was an investigator for DPD.  I saw where he hid the pics on his mantel and looked at them anyway.  I can still to this day remember brain matter on the pegboard in his garage, hair on the pegboard, and the shotgun holes in the wall.  

On 5/21/2020 at 10:08 PM, cattail said:

I was good friends with Bart Whitaker in high school. White privilege got him off death row.

Do you or any of your friends still write to him? His case is what launched my love of true crime. Most murders are drug related, marital issues, and gang violence. A lot is over money, as well, but Bart just seems like a total sociopath. I know he stood to inherit a lot of money, but I honestly think his lies about graduating from college were about to catch up to him and killing his family was easier than owning up to his own fuck up. 

Guy I went to law school with was a high school principal that wanted to practice law. We graduated and passed the bar. He opened his own shop in Norman. Did a lot of family law. On the day he got full custody for his client, the ex husband came and shot my friend, the client, and the kid (IIRC) then drove out in the sticks and killed himself. In his prior life my friend was on one of the Sports Gone Wild type shows. He was a jockey and got bucked off and his boot got stuck, so he was dragged to the finish line.

• Hook 'Em 1

I grew up in some rough places. Lawrence, MA, Central America, Bosnia. Yeah, have known quite a few on both sides. been quiet since this was a way people knew me at UT. I was the American who knew the war criminals. Those fucks, when the give the order, to those who commit, are murderers.

And know quite a few of the victims. Never easy to walk into a house like that.

Seems like an appropriate day and thread. I knew Ashli Babbit. Met her in Fairbanks Alaska during a TDY with the Air Force. She was a different person back then. Laid back surfer chick. Her and her husband at the time hosted a few of us for a party. Had a blast. We’re not close or anything like that but we were Facebook friends and I talked to her once or twice more when her husband was at Lackland for MWD training. I remember seeing ridiculous conspiracy shit on her FB and just laughing it off. Then on J6 watching the news live I saw them carrying her out and while it was not a close up shot of her I knew right away it was her. It’s a shame that she was brainwashed by the maga cult and it ultimately cost her her life.

• Hook 'Em 5

45 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Seems like an appropriate day and thread. I knew Ashli Babbit. Met her in Fairbanks Alaska during a TDY with the Air Force. She was a different person back then. Laid back surfer chick. Her and her husband at the time hosted a few of us for a party. Had a blast. We’re not close or anything like that but we were Facebook friends and I talked to her once or twice more when her husband was at Lackland for MWD training. I remember seeing ridiculous conspiracy shit on her FB and just laughing it off. Then on J6 watching the news live I saw them carrying her out and while it was not a close up shot of her I knew right away it was her. It’s a shame that she was brainwashed by the maga cult and it ultimately cost her her life.

Interesting story BUT.....not murdered.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

You are arguing semantics. She was killed by another human hence the post.

Not really, most (though I will admit not all) of the stories in this thread, that is specifically asking about MURDER, have the whole "malice aforethought" thing happening.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Not really, most (though I will admit not all) of the stories in this thread, that is specifically asking about MURDER, have the whole "malice aforethought" thing happening.  

You are clearly upset about the post. Go take a break from the internet and have a good night.

Sort of my grandma and cousins. And I didn't even know this story until I started doing some ancestry.com stuff and asked my mom, "Wait, what? Gramma was married before Grandpa?"

So the story goes, when the Soviets took back over in Ukraine after WW2, my great-grandparents, grandmother and her brothers got the fuck out of Dodge and immigrated to southwest Ontario, not too far from Detroit. The boys took up farming while she went to nursing school. Right around graduation, my Grandma got married and, a few weeks into the marriage, her husband had a bit to much to drink and got physical with her. She fought him off with a knife, but her brothers gave him a warning that if he ever did it again, he would "disappear."  The husband did not heed their warning and, a couple weeks later after a few too many vodka/vodkas, did it again. She was unable to defend herself and ended up visibly bruised. my grandma and great uncles resolved to have a "talk" with him and neither he nor his remains were ever seen again.

[Epilogue: Being a very traditional family, she and everyone in the family wanted her to give marriage a shot again, have kids, etc.,  but she couldn't because she was still technically "married" in Canada, and it could be some time before the authorities would declare a death. Plus, given the circumstances and having a general mistrust of the authorities, they didn't want to report anything. So she hopped over the border and got a job nursing at the only hospital that would hire her with a Canadian nursing degree and a vague backstory -- Trumbull General Hospital (<--link), a black-owned hospital serving primarily black patients in an then-rundown part of town. My grandpa, a cub reporter on the crime beat for the Detroit Times, spent a lot of time in the area, met her at the hospital, and the rest was history. My mom and her siblings were born in that hospital and, many years later in 2012, after gallivanting around in big cities for ~15 years (Chicago, New York, Buenos, etc.), my wife and I bought a house in the then-well-on-the-way-to-gentrified neighborhood in which the hospital sat, Woodbridge (<--link). ]

[Fun Epilogue 2: Speaking of gentrification, Tony Hawk bought the building that was once Trumbull General Hospital for him and his family: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2016/08/24/tony-hawk-skateboarder-detroit-woodbridge-house-sale/89308050/)] 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 1/5/2024 at 10:00 AM, DixonHur said:

My ex-DIL was raped, sodomized and nearly beaten to death almost 20 years ago. 
The great ER staff at Brackenridge Hospital narrowly saved her life. 
The animal who did that to her was never caught. 

• Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

The only dumb person here is you if you thought mentioning that traitorous cunt wouldn’t get a reaction.  She wasn’t murdered, she was a rabid animal who was put down for the greater good.

Well, you can certainly make the argument that she was murdered by her online communities and a cult, who gleefully pushed her further down the rabbit hole with their lies, often for profit. Which TexEx alludes to having firsthand knowledge of her transformation.

Anyway, I appreciated the story.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The only dumb person here is you if you thought mentioning that traitorous cunt wouldn’t get a reaction.  She wasn’t murdered, she was a rabid animal who was put down for the greater good.

Well the last I checked I wasn’t posting the story in CR so figured we could stay on topic. But you are right that’s my fault I should know better.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No offense and I agree that she was a sort of victim, but she was killed by Donald Trump. The guy who shot her was just doing his job.

None taken and I agree. The ironic thing is we were military police and very well trained on the use of force and she should have known what was going to happen. I think it speaks to the power of the cultish brainwashing by maga.

• Hook 'Em 6

In 1992, a buddy was planning a bachelor party for another buddy.  He wanted to hire a couple of strippers, so we went on a scouting mission to Yellow Rose.  Decided to hire one , "Jessica", and she agreed to bring a friend.  Jessica's real name was Stephanie Martin.  In 1995, she and her boyfriend murdered the boyfriend's roommate and tried to burn the body. https://www.austinchronicle.com/books/2000-12-01/79590/. So, "knew" is questionable...

HS friend's grandmother, Mildred McKinney, was murdered in her home in his/our neighborhood in 1980.  Henry Lee Lucas originally confessed to the crime, but the confession was discounted based on late 1980s DNA.  In 2012, Williamson County investigators arrested 53 year old Stephen Alan Thomas, who would have been 22 at the time of the crime.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-man-arrested-1980-murder-elderly-woman/story?id=16846922
He's on death row now: https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/death_row/dr_info/thomassteven.html

-- we had an unofficial "senior superlative" vote in high school to cover the more interesting topics that weren't part of the standard "most likely to . . . " list sanctioned by the school.  The guy we voted as "most likely to commit murder" ended up committing murder.  Knifed a guy in a local bar parking lot.  I think it was Murder 2 or some such, but he served quite a bit of time.  Harold Campbell, you should have listened to us.

I kind of feel like this one is on you and your fellow students.