Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Wow,  false equivalency and ad hominem in one sentence. Care to go for any more logical fallacies?

Do I have to list other legal scholars who agree with him before my question ("Is he right?")  is actually addressed?

You’re way off base here.  It’s not “ad hominem” to note that an alleged expert in a given field has previously been proven wrong when opining on matters in that field. That is perfectly legitimate impeachment of a purported expert’s credentials and bias.  

When you argue that a person’s pedigree makes it more likely than not that a statement that person says is true, then evidence that said person has previously erred on similar topics in the past is relevant to rebut the claim YOU first advocated.  

And it’s not false equivalency, either.  You’re offering Yoo for his legal expertise, and we’re pointing out that he’s intentionally lied about the law before. 

To summarize: your point is stupid.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Don't complain about logical fallacies in the same post you are going to make an appeal to authority, man.

Exactly.  Especially when said authority has a history of lying in the field he claims as his expertise.

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Exactly.  Especially when said authority has a history of lying in the field he claims as his expertise.

And I wasn't even calling that piece out, so yeah there were 2 appeals to authority, because he was specifically saying the guy must know what he's talking about if he's working for UC Berkeley.

This is the kind of shit that probably pisses me off more than full on Trumpers, the "burn it down" and "it's all congress fault, trump/the president is merely a scapegoat." This girl appears to not understand what Executive Actions are as well as literally not trusting anything (except Facebook of course).

impressivelogic.jpg

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, but the 2nd paragraph renders the argument more or less moot.  Step aside under 25A, Pence pardons, step back in.  Done.

That'd be a fun interim wondering if Pence would actually grant the pardon. The end of the republic could go out with a nice dramatic twist.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That'd be a fun interim wondering if Pence would actually grant the pardon. The end of the republic could go out with a nice dramatic twist.

It would be hilarious if Googly Eyes Mike said "sure, I'll pardon you" and then just parked his ass in the Oval Office until the next election.

They'd try to figure a way to get him out on 25A, I suppose.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, but the 2nd paragraph renders the argument more or less moot.  Step aside under 25A, Pence pardons, step back in.  Done.

yeah, who's going to pardon Pence before he pardons Trump ?  Pence's role in the transition was corrupt as all hell re Flynn and god knows what else.  When shit drops, there won't be any wiggle room for any noodles to play games.

8 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

yeah, who's going to pardon Pence before he pardons Trump ?  Pence's role in the transition was corrupt as all hell re Flynn and god knows what else.  When shit drops, there won't be any wiggle room for any noodles to play games.

Why would Pence need to be pardoned first?

Or alternatively, why couldn't Trump pardon Pence and then step aside on 25A?

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why would Pence need to be pardoned first?

Or alternatively, why couldn't Trump pardon Pence and then step aside on 25A?

Who the hell knows.  Something has to get the GOP Congress to move.  If that happens, a lot should take care of itself. 

My bet:  Shock and Awe approach from Mueller that bags a bunch at the top including some GOP in Congress.  If anything is going to get all the rest in Congress to act soberly and truthfully, it would take something of that scale.

Edited by triplehorn

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What could possibly make Trump freak out like this?  Did Trump get news that Manafort flipped?  He’s been talking about him an awful lot lately. 

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

More likely cohens tapes and files and all the criminal activity they document.

That explains Trump flipping his shit about Manafort. Cohen was the front man on lots of Russia related matters. I forgot those tapes were just released to the government. Trump knows what's on at least some of them. 

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

OK this will be the last time I take your bait.

Let's not derail this thread with an in depth discussion of the merits of an argument whether a sitting president can pardon himself or herself.

This is a meta thread.  If you want a real discussion on that issue, start another thread.  Stop shitting in this one.

Or how about this?   You don't tell me what I can post regarding Donald Trump on a Donald Trump thread and I don't tell you what you can post.  How about that?

So much and wringing in this thread. Let's make this interesting.  I'll bet any 4 anonymous posters here $50 each that Trump survives Mueller's investigation.

Also, aren't y'all worried about Pence?  He'll turn this country into Gilead and any of your wives that remain fertile will be made Handmaids. 

18 minutes ago, Pods said:

That explains Trump flipping his shit about Manafort. Cohen was the front man on lots of Russia related matters. I forgot those tapes were just released to the government. Trump knows what's on at least some of them. 

According to the Dossier, Cohen became Manafort’s fixer after the Panama Papers revelations pushed Manafort out of the Trump campaign.

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So much and wringing in this thread. Let's make this interesting.  I'll bet any 4 anonymous posters here $50 each that Trump survives Mueller's investigation.

Also, aren't y'all worried about Pence?  He'll turn this country into Gilead and any of your wives that remain fertile will be made Handmaids. 

So you want to make a bet that Trump can get away with corruption?  Is that the gist?  Especially with a Republican Congress, don't think anybody would take that bet.  But I like it that his corruption will come to light and y'all won't care because party before country.  And if I bet that you liked getting pegged, I'd have already won something.   

17 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The worst part about this whole thing is Trump and the Republicans still think the Mueller investigation is about Trump and bringing him down.

The Mueller investigation is about RUSSIA and their ATTACK ON THE UNITED STATES.

And Trump obstructing that investigation should freak all Americans out.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Start a thread then. 

I haven't formed a firm opinion on the president's right to self-pardon because I haven't researched the issue.  As I said, it's unprecedented.  That alone should give one pause as to whether the right exists.  

Let's not derail this thread with that discussion.  Fair?

We don’t need to research the issue.  Under NO circumstance should anyone be able to pardon themself.  This does not take a law degree from Georgetown to figure out.

• Like 4

I mean if the crimes are so overwhelming, why won't he get the boot?  Y'all are on here all day talking about treason and RUSSIA ATTACKING THE US.  You and the pundits that are reporting and providing you info are overpromising and the investigation is gonna underdeliver. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

I mean if the crimes are so overwhelming, why won't he get the boot?  Y'all are on here all day talking about treason and RUSSIA ATTACKING THE US.  You and the pundits that are reporting and providing you info are overpromising and the investigation is gonna underdeliver. 

I get the feeling you don’t give a shit either way what happens to Trump or America.

The investigation has already delivered.

https://www.justice.gov/sco

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The worst part about this whole thing is Trump and the Republicans still think the Mueller investigation is about Trump and bringing him down.

The Mueller investigation is about RUSSIA and their ATTACK ON THE UNITED STATES.

And Trump obstructing that investigation should freak all Americans out.

"any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and"

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

We don’t need to research the issue.  Under NO circumstance should anyone be able to pardon themself.  This does not take a law degree from Georgetown to figure out.

Exactly. If the president can pardon himself then he is above the law. No one is above the law. Sort of a founding principle of our democracy. The president is not a king. 

I still believe that Republicans in congress would vote to impeach if it got to the point where Trump pardoned himself. Because whatever crimes he was pardoning himself for would be egregious. Even treasonous.

Democracy would die on the day the president pardoned himself and if Republicans in Congress went along with it then that would mean they were giving up a lot of their power. Giving it over to the president. I don't think that's what most of them signed up for. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Exactly. If the president can pardon himself then he is above the law. No one is above the law. Sort of a founding principle of our democracy. The president is not a king. 

I still believe that Republicans in congress would vote to impeach if it got to the point where Trump pardoned himself. Because whatever crimes he was pardoning himself for would be egregious. Even treasonous.

Democracy would die on the day the president pardoned himself and if Republicans in Congress went along with it then that would mean they were giving up a lot of their power. Giving it over to the president. I don't think that's what most of them signed up for. 

Trump can just bribe congressmen not to impeach then pardon himself for the bribes 

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Democracy would die on the day the president pardoned himself and if Republicans in Congress went along with it then that would mean they were giving up a lot of their power. Giving it over to the president. I don't think that's what most of them signed up for

I doubt many of them originally signed up for a life in public service  to suck Trumps dick on a daily basis, but most of them adapted pretty quickly.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What could possibly make Trump freak out like this?  Did Trump get news that Manafort flipped?  He’s been talking about him an awful lot lately. 

Well he did just kill his wife after she punched him in the fupa so now he has a shit load of secret service to pay off and needs more putin money to do it. 

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump can just bribe congressmen not to impeach then pardon himself for the bribes 

Hell, why even spend the money to bribe them?  He could poison all the dems in congress, and then pardon himself for the murder.

29 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I get the feeling you don’t give a shit either way what happens to Trump or America.

The investigation has already delivered.

https://www.justice.gov/sco

I guess I’m confused.  I don’t see how any of that has to do with Trump winning the election or him needing to be removed from office.  Collusion, as it were.  

My point was that all the hand wringing over if Trump could pardon himself or if this is the end of our Republic is extremely premature and very likely nonsense.  I offered to wager to make it interesting, no takers yet.  That’s ok.

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I guess I’m confused.  I don’t see how any of that has to do with Trump winning the election or him needing to be removed from office.  Collusion, as it were.  

My point was that all the hand wringing over if Trump could pardon himself or if this is the end of our Republic is extremely premature and very likely nonsense.  I offered to wager to make it interesting, no takers yet.  That’s ok.

Discussion of whether he can pardon himself is extremely premature? He's explicitly asserting that he can right now. How the fuck is any discussion of it premature?

President Donald J. Trump

500 DAYS: In his first 500 days in office, President Donald J. Trump has achieved results domestically and internationally for the American people. 

• Since taking office, President Trump has strengthened American leadership, security, prosperity, and accountability.
  • After 500 days, the results are clear: the American economy is stronger, American workers are experiencing more opportunities, confidence is soaring, and business is booming.
  • President Trump has re-asserted American leadership on the world stage, secured vital investments in our military, and stood up against threats to our national security.
  • President Trump has put the American people first and made government more accountable.
Edited by 4th&Five