Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think that’s tomorrow night

Thanks.  I'm sitting here watching her read a court document paragraph by paragraph and talking about how we don't know what the redacted parts say, and I'm wondering where the fuck Comey is.  Now she's literally reading newspaper articles on air.  Why do people watch this boring shit? 

9 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Thanks.  I'm sitting here watching her read a court document paragraph by paragraph and talking about how we don't know what the redacted parts say, and I'm wondering where the fuck Comey is.  Now she's literally reading newspaper articles on air.  Why do people watch this boring shit? 

You said it yourself, it’s fascinating to watch a neck with hair speak.

15 hours ago, retread said:

JFC, he should be impeached for that tie alone.

14 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

It’s not the grind of day-to-day, but in longform journalism, Vanity Fair has been killing it as well, very impressed with what they’ve done.

Reporters at VF have some great contacts in the inner circle.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

People have moved on from talking about Podesta. 

Today is the not the day to be popping off about “taxes,” after I and I’m sure many others feel pretty anally violated right about now. 

But hey, I can apparently get a Costco membership, if they had one around here.

3 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Heh.  First cite in Gorsuch’s concurrence:  see Declaration of Independence Para 21. 

This is really more of a criminal statute case than an immigration case. Essentially the law says mandatory deportation for an immigrant (illegal, perm. resident, whatever) for a "crime of violence" which is also felony. Since you have 50 state criminal codes it has always been really hard to figure out what qualifies, with burglary being the classic example. Some version of this has been on the books since 1982.  There was a sister case a few years ago called Johnson in which Scailia joined the liberals to invalidate a similar statute (the ACCA) that triggered a mandatory minimum.  In this case similar language triggered mandatory deportation. So Gorsuch is completely in line with Scalia on this (Scalie and Thomas had something like 97% agreement)

This is a decent primer written before the decision (little heavy on the legal front):

https://takecareblog.com/blog/holding-up-possible-remedies

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Somehow I don't think Trump is going to trot out the "how about that Supreme Court pick" line as under his list of achievements anymore. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I can't wait for the Donald's rage once he realizes he can't fire Gorsuch.

I don’t think it means Gorsuch is joining the left wing of the court.  He’s doing exactly what Scalia did a few years ago.  If Trump finds out he appointed Scalia Jr he’d be thrilled.  

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

No, he wouldn't be thrilled.  He couldn't give two shits about Scalia or any specific theory of Constitutional law.   He just wants a SCOTUS pick that gives him good headlines and the results he wants in every situation.  And the results he wants are completely arbitrary and untethered to any logic whatsoever other than whatever line of bullshit he's trying to sell to people at that given moment.  What he really would want is a toady like Sean Hannity, not another Scalia or any other reputable Justice.

Heh.  It’s literally the first words out of any Trumper’s mouth when asked why they support Trump.  He gave us Gorsuch!  

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-hasen-gorsuch-scalia-20170627-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Gorsuch is the new Scalia, just as Trump promised

I'm going to take some money from all of you, no, you don't get to object to this, and build myself a soundproof phone booth.  I've grown too irritable with the distracting ambient noise of others while I'm on the phone and I want to have the ability to be super duper secret so other people can't hear my conversation.  BOOMER SOONER!  I'm going to assume that all of you approve of everything I just said, even the Boomer Sooner part.  If you disapprove, too bad.  Go fuck yourself.  Thanks for the funds.  Also, please be more quiet.  Enough with the fucking tapping your pen on stuff.  Asshole.  

Say what you will about typical politicians lying, dissembling, spinning, but never in modern memory has it been so bad, so bald-faced, so shameless, and so widespread among a major political party.   This is the kind of shit you see in tinpot dictatorships and wonder how they can say these things with a straight face.  But these are the people currently in charge of our country. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Say what you will about typical politicians lying, dissembling, spinning, but never in modern memory has it been so bad, so bald-faced, so shameless, and so widespread among a major political party.   This is the kind of shit you see in tinpot dictatorships and wonder how they can say these things with a straight face.  But these are the people currently in charge of our country. 

And this country's political discourse will never recover unless all of these shitheads are removed from office or formally charged for any criminal offenses. 

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

And this country's political discourse will never recover unless all of these shitheads are removed from office or formally charged for any criminal offenses. 

yes, this will be needed

and the process... Shaking up the R v D culture war is a must. A leader standing outside that is so incredibly needed right now. One within it is not effective, and will never be. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, staboner said:

yes, this will be needed

and the process... Shaking up the R v D culture war is a must. A leader standing outside that is so incredibly needed right now. One within it is not effective, and will never be. 

But that's what Trump did.  The only thing that disrupts in politics seems to be appealing to the worst in people.  I think we just need a return to normalcy.  Politics as usual sucks, but it's better than this. 

• Like 1