Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

Good article on how trump tore down a the House redistricting wall that took republicans a decade to build by winning state races.  And was just about to earn them at least another decade of House rule.   They only needed 3-4 more years.  

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/13/republicans-trump-redistricting-house-2018-984947

as much as trump has silenced public criticism, I have to think the behind the scenes gop leaders are furious.   They see the big picture which isn’t sacrificing the exec and legislature branches to only settle for a generation of judicial power.  And they also don’t want to realign the gop to solely become the party of poor to lower-middle class white people.   

Just now, NBMisha said:

Well, the simple fact is the French, and Italians, have about zero interest in US wines, at any price.  Its not all transactional.

I had to chuckle when he insinuated USA wines are anywhere close to the same league as Frenchie wines.  Of course he's a slapdick that built a vineyard in fucking Virginia.

1 hour ago, retread said:

Here's the detailed Vanity Fair article from Michael Lewis re: the mismanagement of the DOE transition

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis

Great article. It's a shame that magazine is heading in a new, shallower direction. Since the new editor took over, I have trouble finding articles within that interest me. I used to devour Vanity Fair every month.

1 hour ago, retread said:

Here's the detailed Vanity Fair article from Michael Lewis re: the mismanagement of the DOE transition

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis

Towards the end of the article, it describes the percolating environmental dangers posed at the Hanford site in Oregon.

Lewis has done at least one interview on NPR describing risk at the national level. Lewis' thesis is that people (voters) don't recognize or appreciate  risk when it goes from 1 in 1,000,000 to 1 in 10,000. They don't care.

The US government is the largest manager of risk ever, and it's being very poorly managed.

GOP- "See? Government can't do anything right. We should privatize. Hey! I just thought of something! I got some friends that would be just perfect for this."

Great article. It's a shame that magazine is heading in a new, shallower direction. Since the new editor took over, I have trouble finding articles within that interest me. I used to devour Vanity Fair every month.

Same. I’ve had the new one sitting in my desk for a week, still wrapped in cellophane

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I had to chuckle when he insinuated USA wines are anywhere close to the same league as Frenchie wines.  Of course he's a slapdick that built a vineyard in fucking Virginia.

How could he know anything about wine? He insists he's never consumed a drop of alcohol in his life.

Evidently Kirstjen Nielson is on the chopping block.  Trump doesn't like her border work.

Newsworthy/lulzworthy is that Kobach is rumored to be the replacement.   Isn't that tipping your hand a little too much?  The voter fraud guy now is literally going to be preventing browns from access to this country?

8 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Evidently Kirstjen Nielson is on the chopping block.  Trump doesn't like her border work.

Newsworthy/lulzworthy is that Kobach is rumored to be the replacement.   Isn't that tipping your hand a little too much?  The voter fraud guy now is literally going to be preventing browns from access to this country?

God forbid finding somebody from an actual border state. 

I am not sure which way politico (the journalism/news organization) skews, but they have a very fascinating read today about Andrew Johnson which they do a great job of tethering to today with Trump. For guys like me who aren't strong on presidential history/historical knowledge, it's a very fascinating read about how basically everyone tried to work around Andrew Johnson's racism and incompetence.

And the article does a great job of subtlety and nuance in showing the similarities of Andrew Johnson's attempts at populism (which weren't very effective ultimately) and Trump's populism (which are proving more so). Things like crowd-hyping of the southern states (he was a proud Tennessee man, after all), ignoring advice, pandering to racists, etc. etc. etc. 

Lastly, as someone who is barely educated compared to a lot of you upper crust Ivy league types, I had always heard Andrew Johnson was the worst president of the US and always saw him ranked at the bottom. This gives a glimpse as to why he's historically viewed that way, but also brings the lulz when the conclusion is basically Trump is a poor man's, 21st century version of Andrew Johnson who America thought they would never see someone like again in the office of President. There is nothing new under the sun, as is said...

“For the first time in the history of our country,” wrote the New York Independent, “the people have been witness to the mortifying spectacle of the president going from town to town, accompanied by the prominent members of the Cabinet, on an electioneering raid, denouncing his opponents, bandying epithets with men in the crowd, and praising himself and his policies. Such a humiliating exhibition has never before been seen, nor anything even approaching to it.”

Very great read I recommend: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/11/13/andrew-johnson-undermined-congress-cabinet-david-priess-book-222413

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I am not sure which way politico (the journalism/news organization) skews, but they have a very fascinating read today about Andrew Johnson which they do a great job of tethering to today with Trump. For guys like me who aren't strong on presidential history/historical knowledge, it's a very fascinating read about how basically everyone tried to work around Andrew Johnson's racism and incompetence.

And the article does a great job of subtlety and nuance in showing the similarities of Andrew Johnson's attempts at populism (which weren't very effective ultimately and Trump's populism (which are proving more so). Things like crowd-hyping of the southern states (he was a proud Tennessee man, after all), ignoring advice, pandering to racists, etc. etc. etc. 

Lastly, as someone who is barely educated compared to a lot of you upper crust Ivy league types, I had always heard Andrew Johnson was the worst president of the US and always saw him ranked at the bottom. This gives a glimpse as to why he's historically viewed that way, but also brings the lulz when the conclusion is basically Trump is a poor man's, 21st century version of Andrew Johnson who America thought they would never see someone like again in the office of President. There is nothing new under the sun, as is said...

Very great read I recommend: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/11/13/andrew-johnson-undermined-congress-cabinet-david-priess-book-222413

Not sure if serious... Andrew JACKSON was the populist known as "King Mob" lol

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Uh . . . do you recall who he ran against?

#it'smacron

He won because he had no record to hold against him even though he's a banker and was likely to continue Hollande's extremely unpopular policies (which he has done).  Now that his actual politics have been exposed the French hate him.  

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm serious. I know more about Andrew Jackson having read his biography and it is known the was a populist guy, but the point was that Andrew Johnson was that, and much more. Trump is more like Andrew Johnson, even in his antagonism. Even when Andrew Johnson was neutered by Congress (2/3 voted to overturn like 15 of his vetos, that would be hilarious in 2019 if that could happen but it can't), he had pardon power and:

One power he still held was that of the federal pardon. And pardon he did, issuing many more of them than all other presidents to that point, combined—overwhelmingly for those who participated in the rebellion against the Union. Johnson even pardoned a few of the men convicted in the conspiracy to kill President Lincoln.

Such a Trump thing to do, no? 

14 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lulz.  I started reading the article thinking it was about Jackson based on oatmeal's post.  The article opens talking about how he thought blacks were inferior.  I found that odd, because of course a slavery era guy thought blacks were inferior.  Then the mentions of Lincoln's death making him president.  I was totally confused.

Still though, it is a good article.  It is in line with what I was saying for about a year now: like there is no wall in the future.  There was some funding measure that came up dry on the wall about this time last year.  I said that was the end of that dream because the house was going to flip and he'd never see another penny for it.  Now we have two years of screeching at each other over everything else too.  That was the clearest way to keep the moron in check.