Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

A million fucking times, this.  I swear to God, there needs to be just a goddamned 3 hour seminar in journalism school on "how to cross-examine a witness."  Every junior litigation associate in the world could ask better, more direct questions than 99.9% of the journalists are doing.

"The Climate report says X on page 7, based on data points Y and Z.  What is your specific criticism of conclusion X -- why do you say it is incorrect?"

The people who need to care won't care. And he could just ignore the question or lie about it and his sheep will believe him.

"I read those statistics.  I'm very familiar with them.  That's not what it says.  You're being very unfair.  Very unfair.  Fake news media spin.  Go back and read it, that's not what it says.  All my scientists agree.  Very unfair!"

• Like 1

Just now, 'stache said:

The people who need to care won't care. And he could just ignore the question or lie about it and his sheep will believe him.

"I read those statistics.  I'm very familiar with them.  That's not what it says.  You're being very unfair.  Very unfair.  Fake news media spin.  Go back and read it, that's not what it says.  All my scientists agree.  Very unfair!"

Then repeat the question.  Or follow up quickly "if it doesn't say X, then what DOES it say on p. 7 under the "conclusions" section?"  Stick with it.  And have your fellow reporters do the same.  Everywhere he turns, he should run into a phalanx of fact-based questions.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Then repeat the question.  Or follow up quickly "if it doesn't say X, then what DOES it say on p. 7 under the "conclusions" section?"  Stick with it.  And have your fellow reporters do the same.  Everywhere he turns, he should run into a phalanx of fact-based questions.

"You're being unfair, very unfair!  That's not what it says."

He would literally say that over and over again until he's able to move on.  His sheep will believe him.  Nothing matters, you know that more than anyone.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

nah.  newsweek had a good article on this the other day, saying that the lies and the bullshit responses aren't about the substance.  it's about having the power to lie and say bullshit and no one can do anything about it.  you can't beat that head on.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

"You're being unfair, very unfair!  That's not what it says."

He would literally say that over and over again until he's able to move on.  His sheep will believe him.  Nothing matters, you know that more than anyone.

Oh, I certainly agree with that.  He can declare that 2 = 4, and his supporters will buy it.  But not everyone will.

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

nah.  newsweek had a good article on this the other day, saying that the lies and the bullshit responses aren't about the substance.  it's about having the power to lie and say bullshit and no one can do anything about it.  you can't beat that head on.

You beat it by not going the fuck away, and not allowing it to be normalized, ever.  The power of "don't go away, don't fucking quit" is actually pretty significant.  Just keep calling out his obvious lies, call them lies, and move on to the next one.  But don't let him get away with it.  That's how he wins.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Oh, I certainly agree with that.  He can declare that 2 = 4, and his supporters will buy it.  But not everyone will.

You beat it by not going the fuck away, and not allowing it to be normalized, ever.  The power of "don't go away, don't fucking quit" is actually pretty significant.  Just keep calling out his obvious lies, call them lies, and move on to the next one.  But don't let him get away with it.  That's how he wins.

"you have to keep calling out his obvious lies"

google Trump + Lies.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that it is a topic of more than one article.

36 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Totally normal. Secret service visiting those who have spoken out about Trump. Nothing to see here.
http://fortune.com/2018/11/26/tom-arnold-secret-service-anti-trump-tweets/

I'm worried about Trump's fascist tendencies as anyone else but I don't think this is as chilling as you're making it out to be.  From your link

Arnold—a fervent critic of President Donald Trump and host of Viceland’s The Hunt for the Trump Tapes—had recently posted a tweet calling for a one-on-one fight with Trump at one of his rallies. The tweet was in response to the president praising a congressman for body slamming a reporter.

This was followed by a now-deleted tweet referencing the photo of Kathy Griffin holding a mock severed head resembling Trump: “Next time Kathy won’t be holding his fake head!” Arnold wrote.

Change the characters in this story.  Arnold is Ted Nugent, some other nut had held up a mock severed head of Obama and then Ted came out and tweeted "Next time Other Nut won't be holding his fake head!"  That comment was over the line.  I hate the Orange Menace as much as anyone, hell, I've wished karmic death on him.  But the Secret Service has a job to do and I imagine Trump doesn't make it easy. 

The Secret Service has to follow up on stuff like that.  As stated in the article, Arnold reaches a lot of people and there are a ton of nuts out there who might take his shit seriously. 

But, fuck Trump. 

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They should also ask him what the report says, to show that he either hasn't been bothered to read the report (which of course he hasn't) and that if he claims to have read the report, he has zero understanding of its contents.  He will lie about the basis for his reasoning, but the journos can make clear that he hasn't taken the time to even get a briefing on the actual contents of the report.

...Trump was likely actually referring the launching catapult?
It's my understanding that steam had a reliable record in that function and, at least some years ago, there was doubt about the reliability of newer technology.

US steam catapult tech is amazing and has not been duplicated (look at the stupid ramp carriers China and Russa use). Drones are the future and are made of fiberglass/carbon fiber and the steam catapults aren't going to work. Future catapult tech has to be developed and worked out.

I am sure the hardcore olds in the military industrial complex don't want a future of drones, so I am not surprised they aren't embracing the tech.

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah Barron is completely off limits.

Fuck the rest.

I do give Tiffany more of a pass than the other three though. She hasn’t been involved in any of the garbage except showing up as silent background support at debates and the convention and the like. She’s kept her head down and pretty much stayed out of the spotlight.

She is doing just enough to stay in the will.

What a fucking dumbass. "Put something else in there" lol.

The Journal's interview was published shortly after Trump told journalists outside the White House that he wasn't happy with GM's plan. He also noted that the Chevrolet Cruze was not selling well and urged the company to put something else in its place. GM killed the Cruze and several other passenger cars as part of its cost-cutting plan, USA Today reported Monday.

"I said, 'then put a car in here that is selling well, but get it opened fast,'" the president said in the Journal interview.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/26/trump-threatens-gm-over-ohio-they-better-damn-well-open-a-new-plant.html

President Donald Trump tells The Wall Street Journal that he warned GM CEO Mary Barra that her company was "playing around with the wrong person."

Trump also says that he told Barra on Sunday night that GM should open a new plant in Ohio, saying, "They better damn well open a new plant there very quickly."

Playing around with the wrong person?  What the fuck?

This guy really really wants to post his special brand of crap on surly. Kind of weird in fact. 

I’ve been around here and the old place long enough to know that’s not weird at all...Grendel, TxTow, the horned woman, Rocko, hell even self styled endless longcat Sci-fi fiction writers...all seem to charge bravely into the fray to bask in the fleeting glimpse of unique assholes that this place provides, or at least post paychecks
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wish on a star world:

"The Climate report says X on page 7, based on data points Y and Z.  What is your specific criticism of conclusion X -- why do you say it is incorrect?"

Real world we live in because we let the morons win:

Reporter: "The Climate report says X on page----"

Trump: "Brisket, I like brisket, great food they have down there in Texas, great state. A lot of people don't know that. They love me down there, love me."

Reporter: "...what is your specific criticism of--"

Trump: "We're looking into that, they're telling me that's wrong, so we'll see what happens with that, but I think we can get heating below 2, maybe 1.5, we'll see how low we can get it."

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’ve been around here and the old place long enough to know that’s not weird at all...Grendel, TxTow, the horned woman, Rocko, hell even self styled endless longcat Sci-fi fiction writers...all seem to charge bravely into the fray to bask in the fleeting glimpse of unique assholes that this place provides, or at least post paychecks

Don't forget Ol' Romeo Rose. Our own Icarus.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/11/26/trump-says-us-could-place-10-percent-tariff-on-iphones-and-laptops-imported-from-china

Speaking with The Wall Street Journal, Trump said he intends to move ahead with tariffs on $200 billion of goods imported from China if an upcoming summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping bears no fruit. 

Trump confirmed his administration is thinking about lumping iPhone and laptop computers into the next round of tariffs. 

"Maybe. Maybe. Depends on what the rate is," he said in reference to duties on phones and computers. "I mean, I can make it 10 percent, and people could stand that very easily." 

The knock-on effect of a 10 percent tax would likely be higher prices for U.S. consumers. Apple typically responds quickly to global economic trade winds, sometimes adjusting regional device prices to reflect changes in international exchange rates. It remains unclear how the company would handle a 10 percent tax hike in its largest market. 

Real world we live in because we let the morons win:
Reporter: "The Climate report says X on page----"
Trump: "Brisket, I like brisket, great food they have down there in Texas, great state. A lot of people don't know that. They love me down there, love me."
Reporter: "...what is your specific criticism of--"
Trump: "We're looking into that, they're telling me that's wrong, so we'll see what happens with that, but I think we can get heating below 2, maybe 1.5, we'll see how low we can get it."

You know Trump likes his brisket dry AF and w ketchup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/11/26/trump-says-us-could-place-10-percent-tariff-on-iphones-and-laptops-imported-from-china

Speaking with The Wall Street Journal, Trump said he intends to move ahead with tariffs on $200 billion of goods imported from China if an upcoming summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping bears no fruit. 

Trump confirmed his administration is thinking about lumping iPhone and laptop computers into the next round of tariffs. 

"Maybe. Maybe. Depends on what the rate is," he said in reference to duties on phones and computers. "I mean, I can make it 10 percent, and people could stand that very easily." 

The knock-on effect of a 10 percent tax would likely be higher prices for U.S. consumers. Apple typically responds quickly to global economic trade winds, sometimes adjusting regional device prices to reflect changes in international exchange rates. It remains unclear how the company would handle a 10 percent tax hike in its largest market. 

Raise the price of an iPhone to own the libs.

17 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Raise the price of an iPhone to own the libs.

Realistically, that would own the libs.  

Also, what’s the point of a tariff if people could “stand it very easily”? Isn’t the point of tariffs to make people not stand it and act otherwise?