OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

NSIAP - ou247 - BB and Grinch ::

Hide contents

Have been able to confirm that Bill Bedenbaugh and Alex Grinch intend to follow Lincoln Riley to USC at this time. 

Don’t be shocked if there isn’t more to follow suite. Just know that right now, unless Grinch or Bedenbaugh are offered a job here with new staff, they are expected to be following Riley to USC.

Bedenbaugh and DeMarco Murray are the two guys I hope leave. OU OL regression in the running game has been massive. It's on these guy's plates.

This is glorious. OU will struggle, they aren't as talented as most think and their identity was Excellent Skill guys, Great OL play, Great Qb play, to pair with a dynamic scheme and great play calling. They now have to create an entirely new identity this is going to take time. Texas needs to capitalize, Sark all of a sudden is now the best offensive mind in the conference. This is the best chance that we've had in the last 10 years to get this thing flipped.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, quigley said:

I'm not a "blame the refs" type, but last night there was some home cooking in Stillwater.

Yes.  I'm sure that 14 extra yards in penalties cost blowu the game.  🙄

Although I can understand how a $ooner would liken equality in reffing to oppression.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This is glorious. OU will struggle, they aren't as talented as most think and their identity was Excellent Skill guys, Great OL play, Great Qb play, to pair with a dynamic scheme and great play calling. They now have to create an entirely new identity this is going to take time. Texas needs to capitalize, Sark all of a sudden is now the best offensive mind in the conference. This is the best chance that we've had in the last 10 years to get this thing flipped.

Yeah, I think this is a big reason Riley bolted. 

That roster is nowhere near as talented as the Bama, Ohio State, and Georgia types. Recruiting was fine at OU but not good enough. Riley spent 5 years building this roster and it's nowhere closer to competing for playoff wins than year 1. 

Combo list from an OU poster (22/23/coaches)

DECOMMITS

• Brandon Inniss - WR (2023)
  • Treyaun Webb - RB (2023)
  • Malachi Nelson - QB (2023)
  • Kobie McKinzie - LB (2022)
  • Demetrius Hunter - OL (2022)
  • Derrick Moore - DE (2022) .

REPORTED ACTIVITY

• Jaden Helms - Likely if Joe Jon Retained
  • Raleek Brown - Likely Decommitment
  • Gabriel Dindy - Likely if Thibs Retained
  • DeAndre Moore - Maybe if DM Retained
  • Jovante Barnes - Likely if DM Retained .

ASSISTANT COACH STATUS

• Alex Grinch - Out
  • Dennis Simmons - Out
  • Clarke Stroud - Out
  • Bennie Wylie - Out
  • Jamar Cain - Likely Out
  • Bill B. - Likely Out

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, quigley said:

The OL pass blocking is generally good, despite a high sack rate. There have been some issues this year with blitz pick up. The blitz issue is attributable to OU rolling out a RS-Fr center and RB blitz pick up issues. The Sooner QBs also have had a tendency to hold the ball forever and leave clean pockets, frustratingly.

Run blocking has regressed, partly due to development and partly due to scheme. A lot of the really good offensive linemen OU's had weren't highly rated recruits but program guys that Bedenbaugh developed. That development basically stopped from the 2018 class on. From that class on, OU's gotten contributions from 2 out of 15 (!) OL recruits. Included in that are 4 top 100 recruits (1 5-star, 9 total 4-stars). So talent acquisition isn't the problem, but several of these presumably highly talented players have gotten ZERO run yet are still in the program. I was hoping that some of the seniors would opt out of the bowl game so we could see what we've got in some of the younger OL in live action.

The GT counter is the Sooners bread and butter play, the play that sets up so much their neat misdirection. The strength of the Sooners from mid 2015 - 2018 was OU could tell you that that play was coming and still get 6 yds off it most of the time. Defenses caught up, the pullers aren't as nimble, and Riley's been slow to vary the play design. OU's success running the ball this year has been with zone blocking schemes. OU hasn't had a back with great wiggle/run-after-contact + long speed since 2017 also so some of those 80 yd runs have now become 30 yd runs.

Murray is terrible as a RB coach and the inability to develop even one RB who can pass block combined with a FR QB holding the ball too long saw clean pockets give up sacks. 

We talked about this while it was happening but Riley is a Leach disciple and loves those HUGE OL guys. BB would've never offered a guy like Darrell Simpson in the pre-Riley days. Even with his 5* rating I have doubts about him pursuing Brey Walker in that same class. Just not the kind of OL guy that Bedenbaugh wants. He's always targeted guys with good lateral quickness, hence the strength of their OL in the counter game and the ability to scoop the backside and gain a numbers advantage. It's just two guys not on the same page, imo. 

It also matters that Wiley took over for Schmidt. Schmidt is a cockface but knows what he's doing, while Wiley is one of the worst S&C in p5. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Just so that it's out there in the world, I'd be super happy if OU would give a lifetime contract to Demarco Murray for yelling at Riley. What can I do to help with that? 

Need to launch a sister fund to Burnt Ends for that cause, Burnt Brisket. 

• Haha 5

DECOMMITS

REPORTED ACTIVITY

ASSISTANT COACH STATUS

• Alex Grinch - Out
  • Dennis Simmons - Out
  • Clarke Stroud - Out
  • Bennie Wylie - Out
  • Bill B. - Likely Out

Hate to see it
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
18 minutes ago, Getafix said:

DECOMMITS

REPORTED ACTIVITY

ASSISTANT COACH STATUS

• Alex Grinch - Out
  • Dennis Simmons - Out
  • Clarke Stroud - Out
  • Bennie Wylie - Out
  • Bill B. - Likely Out

Hate to see it

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

DECOMMITS

REPORTED ACTIVITY

ASSISTANT COACH STATUS

• Alex Grinch - Out
  • Dennis Simmons - Out
  • Clarke Stroud - Out
  • Bennie Wylie - Out
  • Bill B. - Likely Out

giphy.gif

57 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Combo list from OU poster 22/23/coaches

DECOMMITS

REPORTED ACTIVITY

ASSISTANT COACH STATUS

• Alex Grinch - Out
  • Dennis Simmons - Out
  • Clarke Stroud - Out
  • Bennie Wylie - Out
  • Bill B. - Likely Out

Siap...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

any back story released on why riley is going scorched earth on OU? did he not want to move to SEC and pissed they moved? did he want OU to match the raise offered by LSU and USC and they didn't? they OU only offer to give raise to him and not his asst coaches?

As an OU fan, I hate that it's happening, but there's zero incentive for him to do this any other way.  If you're going to make a move, you're not beholden to the prior job in any way.  Your job now is to make SC as successful as possible, including stripping away any recruits or coaches you think might help with that.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

any back story released on why riley is going scorched earth on OU? did he not want to move to SEC and pissed they moved? did he want OU to match the raise offered by LSU and USC and they didn't? they OU only offer to give raise to him and not his asst coaches?

200.gif

As an OU fan, I hate that it's happening, but there's zero incentive for him to do this any other way.  If you're going to make a move, you're not beholden to the prior job in any way.  Your job now is to make SC as successful as possible, including stripping away any recruits or coaches you think might help with that.
But was there a gentlemen's agreement? /s
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

An OU 'insider' on IT mentioned him last night as a guy to keep an eye on.  I don't know enough about Beamer or SC to know - does he run Riley's offense?  

No he doesn't and the best possible hire OU could make for UT's interests is Shane Beamer. Holy shit if that happens. Castiglione is too good to make a mistake like that though. Still, Kingsbury or Beamer would be great fucking news.

• Hook 'Em 3

No he doesn't and the best possible hire OU could make for UT's interests is Shane Beamer. Holy shit if that happens. Castiglione is too good to make a mistake like that though. Still, Kingsbury or Beamer would be great fucking news.

Yeah, my gut reaction is there’s no way we can have nice things like that

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I said this in the coaching search thread that OU apparently really likes Shane Beamer. So do their fans. 

This seems like best case scenario for Texas because that would be an awful hire. 

Which is why he would slide in and there would be no dropoff. Because college football.

13 hours ago, quigley said:

I tried to like your post, but I've run out of rep. I'm not a "blame the refs" type, but last night there was some home cooking in Stillwater.

Holllllllllllly shitttttttt! This is an oklahoma fan complaining about the refs. Somewhere right now there's a guy ordering ice water in hell. 

Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1