COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

damn, errrbody getting the covid.  wife and i (full vax) have had it twice.  once in late Jan and the other early July.  Seems like omicron both times (still had smell/taste).  2nd time was a breeze and just felt off for a few days and back to normal after a week.  First time was way more aching and lots of brain fog.  daughter had a fever for 3 days but felt fine after getting an NSAID.  she was under 12 at the time of her vax so did not receive the full adult dose.  son has not been cornered by Covid yet per the home tests at least.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

It's ripping through my office at the moment.  Three more people down as of this weekend.  Two of them are first timers.

It's hitting my office and customers that I work with too. Fucks me having a big on-site event in a couple weeks lmao, I've got 17 total registrations across 3 cities 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Captainant said:

It's hitting my office and customers that I work with too. Fucks me having a big on-site event in a couple weeks lmao, I've got 17 total registrations across 3 cities 

Well, as it turns out, two of those cases may not have been COVID after all.  Lots of negative tests and feeling fine after 24 hours.  Seems like there may be some other crud going around.

Well… I felt like we really kicked this things ass but now my wife is having some heart complications. She had pre existing heart palpitations so this was always a worry for us but now her heart seems to be acting up differently. Me and my son feel good and fully recovered but it sucks that she’s going through this, poor thing. She also took paxlovid and we didn’t. Doctors think it very well could be after effect of Covid :(

• Rage+1 2

I just got my results back from the Texas Cares study. 

My vaccine antibodies are still high at greater than 2,500. (I had my one and only Moderna booster back in November.)

I now have prior infection antibodies (finally caught covid a month ago.) 16.7 result value, anything below 1.0 is negative. 

I'll take it!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Borachio said:

My vaccine antibodies are still high at greater than 2,500. (I had my one and only Moderna booster back in November.)

I now have prior infection antibodies (finally caught covid a month ago.) 16.7 result value, anything below 1.0 is negative. 

I'll take it!

How were your symptoms when you had COVID?  My symptoms were pretty mild overall and my antibodies from infection were at 1.6.

36 minutes ago, dcbc said:

How were your symptoms when you had COVID?  My symptoms were pretty mild overall and my antibodies from infection were at 1.6.

They were quite mild for me as well.   I had some mild congestion like I do with allergies from time to time.   My neck was stiff/sore for a few days,  which is not normal for me.   And I did lose my sense of taste for about 3 days, which I think is unusual for this variant. 

That was about it.  Maybe lasted 4-5 days.  Never had any of the fever,  sore throat, tiredness or cough that a lot of folks experienced.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Borachio said:

I'll take it!

So how do you get in on these types of studies.  The Cares one says they're full.

8 minutes ago, texasdago said:

So how do you get in on these types of studies.  The Cares one says they're full.

Yeah, the Texas Cares one started at the end of 2020 I believe.   I just heard about it from word of mouth.  I think they filled up pretty quickly once folks started getting the vaccine at the beginning of 2021. It was supposed to just be 3 blood draws total, but they asked folks already in the study if they wanted to do a 4th draw here in the last month. 

On 7/24/2022 at 8:55 AM, mdmost said:

Knock on wood. Feel like I'm coming out of it. Kid is already bouncing back and active. I woke up with no headache finally. A little congested in the nose. Ready to be done with this. Wife and younger daughter seem okay.

And younger daughter woke up with a sore throat yesterday. Tested positive. Coughing, headache, and sore throat today. Fun fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Borachio said:

Yeah, the Texas Cares one started at the end of 2020 I believe.   I just heard about it from word of mouth.  I think they filled up pretty quickly once folks started getting the vaccine at the beginning of 2021. It was supposed to just be 3 blood draws total, but they asked folks already in the study if they wanted to do a 4th draw here in the last month. 

I signed up in August 2021, right after my booster.  It closed not too long after that, IIRC.

7 hours ago, Player said:

Did my 4th draw yesterday and just got the results:

S protein still >2500
N protein 3.6

Pfizer x 3 and Moderna booster

Did you recently get covid for the first time? Mild symptoms? Just curious about the N protein score. 

Did you recently get covid for the first time? Mild symptoms? Just curious about the N protein score. 

It must have been when while I was in the UK in June. I felt slightly off for a couple of days, with just the slightest bit of congestion. No other symptoms, and Sudafed knocked it out pronto.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, CooterBrown said:

Our neighbors, a couple with 3 kids, all tested positive for COVID today. They all had COVID 6 WEEKS AGO. It’s not just a positive test from then since they all came down with symptoms yesterday. Their middle kid has had COVID 3 times in the past year.

Well that fucking sucks. 

10 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Our neighbors, a couple with 3 kids, all tested positive for COVID today. They all had COVID 6 WEEKS AGO. It’s not just a positive test from then since they all came down with symptoms yesterday. Their middle kid has had COVID 3 times in the past year.

Cross him off then on Make a GIF

Almost checks out. I mean we all know a few people who always get a cold or the flu every year. I rarely get sick, maybe every 2-3 yrs and no Covid still. Tell them to drink a bottle of bourbon a week.

…realize I’ll probably have Covid tomorrow after that post.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

1a54c84b-df3d-41dc-b56e-09190e6220e5_tex

suggest to them that they wash their hands more often and stop close talking.  

• Haha 1

I just got the results from my fourth Cares draw, and I'm a little confused.  S protein is >2500 (booster in early November), N protein is 1.0, but they say that's negative for the N protein.  The confusion is because I tested positive almost three weeks ago.  The symptoms were pretty mild, especially after I started on Paxlovid, but there should still be some N protein present, shouldn't there?  Or could the Paxlovid done the work and I just didn't have to make many antibodies?  Maybe it's just too soon after the infection.  I don't know what to think.

Was in Singapore last week. Developed a very mild cough (like one cough every 30 min) on the plane back yesterday that I thought was because I was sleep deprived and the airplane was especially cold and dry.

Woke up with slight congestion so took a test. Positive. Dammit!

Funny someone mentioned a sore neck. I had a sore neck starting Wednesday that I thought was cause by the incredibly uncomfortable bed and even more uncomfortable pillows. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe that was the 1st symptom.

41 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I just got the results from my fourth Cares draw, and I'm a little confused.  S protein is >2500 (booster in early November), N protein is 1.0, but they say that's negative for the N protein.  The confusion is because I tested positive almost three weeks ago.  The symptoms were pretty mild, especially after I started on Paxlovid, but there should still be some N protein present, shouldn't there?  Or could the Paxlovid done the work and I just didn't have to make many antibodies?  Maybe it's just too soon after the infection.  I don't know what to think.

The reference range for N at my lab is <1.0, so assuming the reference range is the same at yours, you may just have a N Ab level that is right at the cutoff. The fact that you have a 1.0 indicates that there is some N Ab present, just according to the population based reference range you are right on the threshold what they would classify as positive/negative. 

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I got mine a few weeks after infection and my N protein was just 1.6.  Mild symptoms overall and no Paxlovid 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/29/2022 at 7:51 PM, PantsTent said:

Almost checks out. I mean we all know a few people who always get a cold or the flu every year. I rarely get sick, maybe every 2-3 yrs and no Covid still. Tell them to drink a bottle of bourbon a week.

…realize I’ll probably have Covid tomorrow after that post.

I've never had Covid after following this same protocol.  I think we are on to something,

Noticeable decline in daily hospital admittance for Austin msa. I take that to mean the overall infection rate is dropping. 

also, haven’t paid as much attention to the death stats on that dashboard to see how much they lag but April-July is 5-6-12-1.  As opposed to over 100 in January for omicron spike high month.  I’ll take that as a proxy for severe cases as well and say things are going well. 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Noticeable decline in daily hospital admittance for Austin msa. I take that to mean the overall infection rate is dropping. 

also, haven’t paid as much attention to the death stats on that dashboard to see how much they lag but April-July is 5-6-12-1.  As opposed to over 100 in January for omicron spike high month.  I’ll take that as a proxy for severe cases as well and say things are going well. 

After a long plateau, starting to see a decline in daily admittances in the SE Tex region as well.

On 7/27/2022 at 11:39 PM, Anastasis said:

I haven’t been invited in for a fourth draw. They’ve probably heard the rumors of my elite level antibody response and just marked it >2500. 

I got my 4th draw invite yesterday, so it looks like they're still working their way through the list (last draw was early-mid April). I haven't yet had Covid according to any of my previous draws- I guess we'll see if that has changed (I've certainly been exposed plenty). I had the booster in early November 2021 (regular booster, not a full 3rd shot) and in April my S antibodies were still out of range. 

Edited by KaiserSoze

84 year old dad just tested positive. Fully vaccinated and boosted and is very careful. Only external activity he does is teach navigation to the local Civil Air Patrol unit. Dammit. 

Good health, stays in shape, always active. Lives alone, but his sister is about to drop off some soup and he maintains a good food supply so no reason to go out.

Bad cough and a fever. This shit sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

84 year old dad just tested positive. Fully vaccinated and boosted and is very careful. Only external activity he does is teach navigation to the local Civil Air Patrol unit. Dammit. 

Good health, stays in shape, always active. Lives alone, but his sister is about to drop off some soup and he maintains a good food supply so no reason to go out.

Sorry to hear about your dad - hopefully he handles it well.  You mentioned civil air patrol, ask your dad if he knew a fellow named Clarence Cossey.  He was the same age as your dad and was a chaplain for the CAP.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, CAP is a great organization. My daughter was in it and loved it! Kids get a lot of out of it. 

Here’s Clarence.  Don’t think he’d care me posting his picture, he was pretty unrepentant about serving however he could.   Again hope your dad has an easier time than most.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Sorry to hear about your dad - hopefully he handles it well.  You mentioned civil air patrol, ask your dad if he knew a fellow named Clarence Cossey.  He was the same age as your dad and was a chaplain for the CAP.

Did not know him. He was NM CAP for years and with the death of my step mom just getting back into it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Tell him to get to a doc and get some Paxlovid.  It worked for me.  Also, my dad got it at 89 and whipped it without Paxlovid.  He wouldn't admit he had it until he got over it, but we checked in on him frequently to make sure he got through.  Tough old birds don't give a shit, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Just hot my Texas CARES results from yesterday’s draw.  Still never had it.  Haven’t done any masking or distancing in ages.  Traveling across the country from crowded conference room to conference room.  I am Matt Damon in Contagion.  

Keanu Reeves Matrix GIF by PeacockTV

• Hook 'Em 2

Wife had the 4th draw. I skipped my 3rd because it was too long a wait. 

She was boosted in December 2021 and still had 2,500+ count. Also shows she hasn't gotten the 'rona. That's despite me and the kid getting it about a year ago.

On 8/13/2022 at 10:15 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

Just hot my Texas CARES results from yesterday’s draw.  Still never had it.  Haven’t done any masking or distancing in ages.  Traveling across the country from crowded conference room to conference room.  I am Matt Damon in Contagion.  

Had my fourth draw this week. The first two were 0.0 for natural antibodies. The second two were both less than one, but higher than zero. Don't know what that means.