Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust

RGBIII

38 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

I don’t understand why Texas kids with no connection to the Midwest keep going to Ohio State. I do understand why they are not coming to Texas, I just don’t understand Ohio State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ewers family has a cabin outside of Columbus.  Garrett Wilson was born in Columbus.  Quite a few of the Texas kids at Ohio State have an Ohio connection. 

• Haha 1

I mean tosu offense looks like a machine over the past 2 seasons and the WR room he is about to walk into is ridiculous.  Fuck tosu but I can't blame Ewers from jumping off the TH titanic.  Hope this stings the BMDs, CDC, BORs, as much as it stings us..  TH is not our fucking standard

Edited by Thiefery
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Ewers family has a cabin outside of Columbus.  Garrett Wilson was born in Columbus.  Quite a few of the Texas kids at Ohio State have an Ohio connection. 

Garrett Wilson is from Ohio.

And Columbus is in the middle of the state next to nothing - Other than job loss, rust, and drug issues.  Go fuck yourself.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1

Remember when Ohio State beat Oregon in the championship? Look up the officiating crew. Then go watch the game again. OSU got the OU treatment. They run roughshod over crappy conference opponents. Put em in the Big12 and they are looking up at OU.

Prove me wrong.

So they’d be just like us? But better? With better players? From Texas?
  • Hook 'Em 1

So they’d be just like us? But better? With better players? From Texas?
Yeah, sorta. Except more pricks as fans. And in Ohio.

And they get their butts kissed in a way that we never will.

But I also was subtly saying sorry Big 12 refs. And Tommy Boy's title is tainted. And if that championship didn't happen, would Herman ultimately have gotten the Texas job? Leading an offense that held their asses off, which in the 12 the Longhorns will never be allowed to do. Maybe is offensive mind was never that stellar.

It's the confluence of those events that lead to Ewers commit then decommitt then OSU commit.

So to hell with the Big 12 office.

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

The most puzzling aspect of this is why a family in Texas would have a cabin in Ohio when CO and NM are right there, not to mention AR and MO. Hell, most of WY is closer than Columbus. What the fuck is wrong with people these days?

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The most puzzling aspect of this is why a family in Texas would have a cabin in Ohio when CO and NM are right there, not to mention AR and MO. Hell, most of WY is closer than Columbus. What the fuck is wrong with people these days?

People enjoy being miserable assholes.

Maybe there's a connection with Ewers but it does amaze me that all these Texas kids want to go freeze their ass off in bumbleF Ohio, play for what is widely regarded as one of the rudest, mouthbreathing fanbases out there (obviously not everyone but general sentiment from anyone that's gone to a game there), and pass up all the local Texas connections they'd gain if the NFL doesn't work out. A lot of bandwagon jumping in sports these days

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Maybe there's a connection with Ewers but it does amaze me that all these Texas kids want to go freeze their ass off in bumbleF Ohio, play for what is widely regarded as one of the rudest, mouthbreathing fanbases out there (obviously not everyone but general sentiment from anyone that's gone to a game there), and pass up all the local Texas connections they'd gain if the NFL doesn't work out. A lot of bandwagon jumping in sports these days

It might just be me, but I don't think most blue chips give a shit about 3 months of weather that they'll only be in for 3-4 years max. Also being able to portal out to another big time school at any time makes the decision that much easier. 

26 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It’s really just the soft, entitled culture these kids were raised in. They’d rather choose to go to a perennial CFP contender that has a track record of developing players into NFL prospects than beat West Virginia 17-13 and have a job lined up selling insurance in Cedar Park after they graduate. It’s ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Because southlake. That is all.

• Haha 2

On 8/14/2020 at 8:45 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Reminds me of Garrett Gilbert 

You received a lot of hate for that post, and justifiably so since you were being a smartass. However, given the turn of events with his recruitment, I want to believe you were right all along in your evaluation. And for that, I’m giving your post its first pos rep. Fuck the Brocks

Edited by perfectchaos007

18 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

I don’t understand why Texas kids with no connection to the Midwest keep going to Ohio State. I do understand why they are not coming to Texas, I just don’t understand Ohio State.

In the case of Ewers, maybe it has something to do with Ryan Day looking like a pretty good developer of QB's. Dwayne Haskins was drafted 15th overall and was a Heisman finalist. Justin Fields will probably be drafted earlier and he was a Heisman finalist too. He should be in the running again this year barring injury or Covid concerns (or a disastrous performance against IU tomorrow).

And if any recruits visit Buckeye message boards, they're not going to see a bunch of threads calling for Ryan Day's firing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

Two 5-stars from the state of Washington are probably going to tOSU, too.

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

In the case of Ewers, maybe it has something to do with Ryan Day looking like a pretty good developer of QB's. Dwayne Haskins was drafted 15th overall and was a Heisman finalist. Justin Fields will probably be drafted earlier and he was a Heisman finalist too. He should be in the running again this year barring injury or Covid concerns (or a disastrous performance against IU tomorrow).

And if any recruits visit Buckeye message boards, they're not going to see a bunch of threads calling for Ryan Day's firing. 

Lol ya, Ohio state message boards are just a fine place for any 17 year old to go...y’all are Fucking psychotic (not that we aren’t) but my god...

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Is this the same Haskins who is now behind Kyle Allen and Alex Smith on the depth chart and rumored to be on the way out of town after only 2 years? In other words, one of the biggest QB busts in the last decade?

OSU doesn't have a single QB in the top 2 on an NFL depth chart (I think Haskins is the only QB at all). And no, Burrow doesn't count - he sucked when he left OSU and then the LSU coaches turned him into a star. So yeah, what a great QB developer! His system and talent around them make OSU QBs look good in college but zero evidence of preparing QBs for the NFL. 

Sure, Fields may change that but he was expected to be in the NFL from the moment he got to UGA because he's a freak talent.

On 11/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, Bob Lives! said:

Probably has something to do with the fact that they want to win national championships, develop as a player, and get to the NFL. Outside of Bama, and Clemson, is there a school in the nation that gives them a better chance of pulling that off?

Edited by youdunnf'dup

6 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Behind paywall.  Anyone able to paste behind blinder?

Ohio State added the No. 1-ranked prospect to its recruiting class for the third class in a row when 2022 quarterback Quinn Ewers announced his commitment on Thursday.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound quarterback has been widely known as one of the best quarterbacks in the country. He had originally committed to Texas in August, but decommitted in late October.

Since he's from Southlake, Texas, he was thought to be someone who could bring Texas up a notch on offense and in recruiting, in terms of helping keep other top in-state prospects home. That thought is long gone with his decommitment and now commitment to Ohio State, and the Longhorns are still searching for a quarterback in the 2022 class.

Such a high-profile decommitment raises questions for what happened at Texas, and such a giant commitment raises eyebrows of what could be at Ohio State. Here's a look at what happened with Ewers' decommitment, what it means for Ohio State and Texas going forward.

How did we get here?

Ewers had grown up a Texas fan and even said it was a dream for him to play for the Longhorns when he originally committed.

Growing up in the state, being able to play quarterback for your favorite team and the pride of Texas football is not an unusual thought process for local recruits. The problem for the Longhorns, though, is that Ohio State never stopped recruiting Ewers, even after he made his pledge to Texas.

"They basically just said they were going to keep recruiting me, if that was OK with me, when I committed," Ewers said.

As Texas was dealing with questions about its average play on the field, the team got off to a 3-2 start to the season. Four days after the team's win against Baylor, Ewers announced his decommitment.

"I felt like I jumped on it emotionally more than putting actual thought and my future into it," Ewers said of his initial decision. "It's not bashing [Texas] or anything, I just felt like it wasn't the right fit for me."

The COVID-19 restrictions on recruiting haven't helped the situation, as recruits haven't been able to take visits since the beginning of March, and Ewers was still building his relationship with the Ohio State staff and watching the Buckeyes get off to another fast start, especially on offense.

That relationship with the OSU coaches continued to grow and despite not being able to take a visit to Ohio State, Ewers was able to draw on a visit he took when he was younger to get a feel for the university and the coaching staff.

"I've been [to Ohio State] one time in eighth grade, that's when they offered me," Ewers said. "I went to a summer camp going into my freshman year. Ryan Day was the offensive coordinator and Coach [Urban] Meyer was the head coach at the time."

Ewers' decision to decommit from Texas and ultimately commit to Ohio State was more difficult because of the pandemic, but the feelings he had about the Buckeyes coaches, the success on offense and the success of quarterback Justin Fields convinced him to make the switch.

"[Ohio State] ends up being that constant powerhouse, everyone has the same goals and aspirations, and that's what I want to be around."Quinn Ewers

Decommitting from Texas, while living in Texas, is never an easy thing, but he knew it was the decision he needed to make.

"You just have to find your way and take advantage of opportunities you're given, take advantage of the time we're living in, because you don't know when this pandemic is over and what rules [there are] going to be," Ewers said. "So I've been trying to control what I can control. There's obviously going to be negative feedback, but I try not to pay attention to it, and I haven't gotten anything too bad."

Ohio State can thank its success on the field, but it can also thank Day and quarterbacks coach Corey Dennis for building that trust and a relationship that was strong enough to pull a lifelong Texas fan out of the Longhorn State and up to Ohio.

Despite not being able to have in-person contact, Ewers says Dennis has been instrumental in his feelings about the Buckeyes, and he is a big part of why Ewers feels so comfortable choosing a school so far away during a pandemic.

"I feel like I'm really close with Coach Dennis, even when we're not talking football. We can talk about anything," Ewers said. "We'll start talking about something, then we'll go off a total different track and talk about cooking or grilling, anything. Because he's so young, that's probably one of the main [reasons] we've built such a good relationship."

Dennis is now giving himself some help on the recruiting trail with Ewers on board. Whenever you have a high-profile recruit such as Ewers, one who most every other recruit in the country knows, it sparks interest from other top prospects.

With Ewers committed, it means he can also start recruiting for the Buckeyes and to try to bring other talented prospects into the fold.

wait for it

"I haven't really started [recruiting] yet, but I have a couple guys in mind that I'm going to reach out to," Ewers said. "I'll just say some high-level receivers from Texas. I'm just going to ask them what would happen if we teamed up."

What this means for Texas

That statement from Ewers speaks volumes -- losing out on one highly talented recruit could equate to losing out on even more in the future.

One of the recruits Ewers is likely referring to is wide receiver Caleb Burton, one of the top receivers in the country and one of the top prospects in Texas. If Ewers is able to pull more prospects out of the state and up to Ohio State, it's an even bigger loss for the Longhorns.

It's not a stretch to think that could happen, either, as Ohio State has landed five ESPN 300 recruits from Texas since the 2019 class. That includes receiver Garrett Wilson (2019), who has already had success with the Buckeyes.

The perception of losing out on the No. 1 recruit is never a good thing, but having that recruit decommit when he's an in-state star -- and he's someone who could have propelled your offense forward as well as helped your recruiting efforts -- it's going to raise questions.

Combine that with that scenario playing out during a season when Texas has lost to TCU and Oklahoma, and there are more dissenters than there would normally be if the team were having a good year.

That doesn't mean all is lost at Texas on offense. The staff has signed ESPN 300 quarterbacks Ja'Quinden Jackson and Hudson Card in the 2020 class and three-star quarterback Charles Wright in 2021.

Card and Jackson have a shot to take the reins once Sam Ehlinger is gone, and both are highly regarded.

The problem for Texas is what's playing out on the field and what is seemingly playing out on the recruiting trail in the 2021 class. The top in-state recruit, five-star offensive tackle Tommy Brockermeyer, is a Texas legacy as most of his family has either attended or played at Texas, but Brockermeyer and his twin brother, James, both committed to Alabama.

Of the 40 ESPN 300 recruits from Texas who have committed to a school, only eight have chosen Texas. Looking at the top 15 in-state prospects, 10 have made a commitment and only one has chosen Texas.

You combine those numbers with the optics of landing Ewers, then watching him decommit, and that's where the issue lies. Why are those top prospects not staying in-state? And can Texas turn it around on the field and start convincing those players to stay home? That's going to be the question the Longhorns staff needs to answer. -- Tom VanHaaren

Ewers' scouting report

Ewers is arguably the best natural passer in the Lone Star State at this stage since Kyler Murray. Ewers' release is quick and fluid, and his anticipation and timing of throws is on a high college level. What separates Ewers is his ability to remain calm and collected with his mechanics when under pressure. He sees the field extremely well, doesn't force throws, has touch and can add velocity when he needs to fit the ball into tight windows. He has elite physical traits as a passer, an ideal frame and the ability to also make plays on the ground. He's as close to the total package as you can get as a junior in high school.

While it is not surprising that Ohio State would be in on the top quarterback in the country, it is a bit surprising that he's not the athlete the Buckeyes have become accustomed to playing with. Ewers is a premier passer and way ahead of the curve in terms of football acumen, so the jump to the next level might not be as steep for him. There is no question that the Buckeyes value his accuracy and arm strength, which are complemented by equally impressive poise and leadership. He could very well be in the mix for the starting job the day he steps on campus.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

wait for it

Texas fans are mean to their head coach who is under a lot of stress so we have to take the blame for losing Ewers guys. Those orange fans assholes started that urban rumor which really fucked up recruiting. It’s ironic that they compared him to Kyler who we also should have secured lol. Good news is the straw we’ve been sucking shit through is definitely plugged up. Upwards from here right? (Ducks and runs) 

On 11/21/2020 at 1:02 PM, Tex-19 said:

Is this the same Haskins who is now behind Kyle Allen and Alex Smith on the depth chart and rumored to be on the way out of town after only 2 years? In other words, one of the biggest QB busts in the last decade?

OSU doesn't have a single QB in the top 2 on an NFL depth chart (I think Haskins is the only QB at all). And no, Burrow doesn't count - he sucked when he left OSU and then the LSU coaches turned him into a star. So yeah, what a great QB developer! His system and talent around them make OSU QBs look good in college but zero evidence of preparing QBs for the NFL. 

Sure, Fields may change that but he was expected to be in the NFL from the moment he got to UGA because he's a freak talent.

Was getting ready to point this out.  I don't know that Fields is a high take either.  I'd draft a Big 12 qb before a tOSU qb, but Ewers could break that spell.  And since the Big 10 blows, he's always got a spot in the playoffs.   

On 11/20/2020 at 2:50 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Get all the talk in while you can. 

You were a score away yesterday from plenty of people on tOSU boards questioning Day. So, basically, it isn't about fan decorum online, more about what is happening on the field. Which is why we want our HC gone. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 3:50 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm certain that those well-mannered, erudite scholars that populate Ohio State message boards will be completely supportive of the next John Cooper that comes your way.

On 11/20/2020 at 2:36 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Oh no! It's COLD! Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

Maybe they're not pussies. Maybe they think they might play for the Vikings, Packers, Bears, Browns, Bills, or Patriots one day. 

Maybe they'll buy a winter coat and a pair of gloves. 

Pretty sure MN just built a nice domed stadium (at least it looked like it on TV today)  And unless they had an aggy build it, I’m guessing they went the HVAC option. 

• RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust
  • RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust