Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on a cheese enchilada tour the last few weeks.  I've hit up a few local joints that don't get it right.  Matt's El Rancho was very good, near perfect.  Maudie's wasn't as good.

Casa Garcia in Round Rock got it perfect.  I got two more orders to go and gained some weight last week.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/18/2023 at 6:16 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I feel like Mi Tierra is like the Salt Lick of Tex-Mex.  It's a great place to take visitors, they'll love it.  It's edible (or better).  It's not the best.

For me, when I'm in San Antonio, I *am* a visitor.  I never mind lunch at Mi Tierra.

@closetojumping would approve. 

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

I've been on a cheese enchilada tour the last few weeks.  I've hit up a few local joints that don't get it right.  Matt's El Rancho was very good, near perfect.  Maudie's wasn't as good.

Casa Garcia in Round Rock got it perfect.  I got two more orders to go and gained some weight last week.

whitey

On 10/18/2023 at 6:16 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I feel like Mi Tierra is like the Salt Lick of Tex-Mex.  It's a great place to take visitors, they'll love it.  It's edible (or better).  It's not the best.

For me, when I'm in San Antonio, I *am* a visitor.  I never mind lunch at Mi Tierra.

The Mexican Manhattan used to be our go-to TexMex place whenever we were in San Antonio.

Last time was four years ago, so no telling if it is still up to snuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That actually looks pretty good, especially for a fake Mexican joint just off the frontage road of a major highway, in a big box strip mall near the tire shop.

But it does look pretty good.

You know, other than the fact that it's heaven for middle-aged gringo women (wait....that's not a drawback...I enjoy the view), and it's a very overpriced chain....Lupe's grub is actually pretty good.  The fajitas taste the way I grew up with -- simple, grilled, and tender.  The tortillas are made in-house.  And the tex-mex offerings like enchiladas and beans are legit.  You just end up paying a "in a newly constructed building with easy freeway access and appealing to white women" tax of about 30-40% extra.  And you have long waits.  Haven't eaten there in a long time (last time was dinner with a former UT baseball player and his wife, and yes, they are textbook Texas white folks).

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That actually looks pretty good, especially for a fake Mexican joint just off the frontage road of a major highway, in a big box strip mall near the tire shop.

But it does look pretty good.

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You know, other than the fact that it's heaven for middle-aged gringo women (wait....that's not a drawback...I enjoy the view), and it's a very overpriced chain....Lupe's grub is actually pretty good.  The fajitas taste the way I grew up with -- simple, grilled, and tender.  The tortillas are made in-house.  And the tex-mex offerings like enchiladas and beans are legit.  You just end up paying a "in a newly constructed building with easy freeway access and appealing to white women" tax of about 30-40% extra.  And you have long waits.  Haven't eaten there in a long time (last time was dinner with a former UT baseball player and his wife, and yes, they are textbook Texas white folks).

Yeah, it's all those things but the enchiladas do hit the spot while I wait for Y Mas to open their Dallas location.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm okay with their fajitas.

Their enchilada gravy just isn't very good.  When I'm forced to go to Lupe, I just stick with grilled stuff.

And I always, always wish I'd spent that time going to EyM instead.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm okay with their fajitas.
Their enchilada gravy just isn't very good.  When I'm forced to go to Lupe, I just stick with grilled stuff.
And I always, always wish I'd spent that time going to EyM instead.

I too prefer the grilled stuff. The enchiladas are technically correct; like you it’s the gravy I have an issue with. Looks right, tastes slightly off.

On 11/13/2023 at 10:21 AM, Brisketexan said:

On 11/13/2023 at 4:43 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

As a self professed San Antonio Mexican food snob, I begrudgingly have to give it to Lupes. I haven't tried their enchies, but their fajitas are really good. 

I've put a couple Cabana samplers away from Taco Cabana recently. I think their food has taken a bit of an upturn lately - for the price it's very edible texmex when I'm feeling like a piece of shit (which is always).

I also think Rosa's makes pretty good food. 

I do think that Taco Bueno fucking sucks.

I think the entire point of texmex is to feel a little shame. Nothing wrong with admitting Lupe makes pretty good food or that a crispy beef taco from TC kind of still hits or that I'll clean up some Rosa's tortilla factory after 11 drinks. I mean, that's what we're fucking here for. This isn't the stick-your-finger-in-your-ass-spit-the-wine-out crowd. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 11:21 AM, Brisketexan said:

As someone that doesn’t live in TX anymore, I would murder a middle aged gringo woman for some Lupe fajitas right now. 

What place in Austin is THAT much better than Lupe? I’ll hang up and listen 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I've put a couple Cabana samplers away from Taco Cabana recently. I think their food has taken a bit of an upturn lately - for the price it's very edible texmex when I'm feeling like a piece of shit (which is always).

It's possible I might have consumed a plate or twenty of their bean and cheese nachos after a rare night of drinking cheap beer.  #noshame

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

As someone that doesn’t live in TX anymore, I would murder a middle aged gringo woman for some Lupe fajitas right now. 

What place in Austin is THAT much better than Lupe? I’ll hang up and listen 

Fajita-wise? Nowhere. 

For seared Mexican meats like that I actually think that Matt's has it nailed down. Their beef fajitas or tacos al carbon are probably better than Lupe.

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

I also think Rosa's makes pretty good food. 

I do think that Taco Bueno fucking sucks.

I think the entire point of texmex is to feel a little shame. Nothing wrong with admitting Lupe makes pretty good food or that a crispy beef taco from TC kind of still hits or that I'll clean up some Rosa's tortilla factory after 11 drinks. I mean, that's what we're fucking here for. This isn't the stick-your-finger-in-your-ass-spit-the-wine-out crowd. 

I can confirm Taco C crispy beef tacos are good. Level 1.

Rosa’s is somehow underrated. It’s cheap and the food is terrific. Ritas suck, but you’re probably not going there to drink a lot.