Ken Paxton is dirty? NO FUCKING WAY!

Gil Bang

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/texas-republican-voters-support-ken-paxton-18345726.php

I think even the “they’re in a cult for Trump!” narrative is giving the remaining Republican base too much benefit of the doubt at this point.  A sizable portion really is just full of bitter clingers and baskets of deplorables.

Why support Ken fucking Paxton unless you’re just a nihilist who celebrates anyone who doesn’t do what they’re supposed to do?  They’re not even pretending to be for limited government and traditional values.  They’re just blatantly anti-government, anti-rule of law and anti-values.  It’s just a political party based on sticking it to everything mainstream.

I dunno if it's this or just stubborn stupidity.  As has been mentioned, Paxton will be replaced with any one of a half dozen assholes that are relatively scandal-free and maybe just a skosh less performative, stupid, and greedy, but equally right-wing.  But he's a Trump ally!

• Hook 'Em 1

What's even stupider is it's not like there are any actual consequences to Republicans throwing Paxton under the bus. There is no reason to defend him.

He's going to be replaced by another Republican asshole and the same song just continues.

Well I was 20 seconds too slow. You made the same point.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/texas-republican-voters-support-ken-paxton-18345726.php

I think even the “they’re in a cult for Trump!” narrative is giving the remaining Republican base too much benefit of the doubt at this point.  A sizable portion really is just full of bitter clingers and baskets of deplorables.

Why support Ken fucking Paxton unless you’re just a nihilist who celebrates anyone who doesn’t do what they’re supposed to do?  They’re not even pretending to be for limited government and traditional values.  They’re just blatantly anti-government, anti-rule of law and anti-values.  It’s just a political party based on sticking it to everything mainstream.

Image of No Donny, these men are cowards. There's nothing to be afraid of.

But seriously.

They believe in nothing. They stand for nothing. Only power to bring pain to those they don't like. Which is like... 65ish percent of us. 

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Not surprising, Mattress Mack is Trumpy af.

It's been known for a long time. He ran commercials on Houston area radio asking people who felt like they had their votes in Houston disenfranchised or some shit email him at some dumb ass email address @gmail.com. He's unabashed Trump loving fuck. Financed half of the campaign against Hidalgo's last opponent, all kinds of shit. 

Put April 24, 2024 on your calendars

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/ken-paxton-to-face-criminal-trial-next-year-on-securities-fraud-charges/

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton will go to trial on April 15, 2024, after eight years of delays in a case relating to two felony indictments for securities fraud.

Paxton appeared in a Houston courtroom Monday morning for a pretrial hearing. He is facing charges that allege he broke state securities regulations and failed to disclose stock transactions to the state. That case has been delayed since 2015.

“The Senate was just a complete farce,” prosecutor Kent Schaffer said. “This case is going to be different. There will be evidence, rules of evidence will be followed. And I think there’s going to be a decision based solely upon that, you know, as opposed to an outside factor of fear.”

This trial is one of multiple pending legal battles Paxton still faces. The former employees who reported Paxton to the FBI for alleged bribery and abuse of office will take their wrongful termination lawsuit to Travis County after the Supreme Court allowed the case to proceed last month.

Paxton’s special prosecutors are also anticipating federal prosecutors to indict Paxton on separate criminal charges. “All indications are that he will be indicted in the Western District,” prosecutor Brian Wice said “That could have some effect on this case, but we can’t count on that happening. So we’ll move forward.”

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It must be a nice life to commit crimes, civil employment offenses, and impeachable acts, only to have well-funded MAGA PAC's pay for your legal defenses so there's no dent in your finances whatsoever.  And you get some nice new countertops!

Paxton is the new ideal Christian. Personal behavior, professional behavior, ethics and methods don't matter. As long as you're passing laws and policies that advance the white, national "Christian" values, you can do anything. As Trump very prophetically said, he could murder someone on 5th Ave. and it wouldn't impact his numbers.

There are people that just don't give a shit about anything but themselves. And then they run to wrap themselves in the flag and Jesus.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 3

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Paxton is the new ideal Christian. Personal behavior, professional behavior, ethics and methods don't matter. As long as you're passing laws and policies that advance the white, national "Christian" values, you can do anything. As Trump very prophetically said, he could murder someone on 5th Ave. and it wouldn't impact his numbers.

There are people that just don't give a shit about anything but themselves. And then they run to wrap themselves in the flag and Jesus.

Reminds me of these lines in"a Time to Kill."   

Tim Nunley : Ain't been no Klan around here for years.

Winston : Ah they's still some boys around.

Tim Nunley : What you mean them skinheads that want to blow up the government?

Winston : No sir, good god-fearing Klan... I got a friend, used to be active, could give him a call.

Freddie Lee Cobb : You do that Winston. You tell them boys we need some Klan down here in Canton. And I mean right quick.

The GOP today is so screwed up because of one primary reason, the ability to completely toss out intellectual honesty!  Trump was the greatest thing to ever happen for the racists in our country.  

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/24/2023 at 3:14 PM, Player said:

What a hypocritical asshole. The company you keep can indeed say quite a bit about a person, Mack. 

Went from a local clown to a POS. Or still remains a clown.

He has done nice things for the community but he's quickly moving down the path where officials may decline his offers due to the wider stain on his reputation. 

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Paxton is the new ideal Christian. Personal behavior, professional behavior, ethics and methods don't matter. As long as you're passing laws and policies that advance the white, national "Christian" values, you can do anything.

Bingo.  The modern American brand of (nationalist) "Christian" is jaw-droppingly at odds with, you know, any recognized tenet of actual Christianity.  Openly lie, steal, cheat on your spouse, commit crimes....and not only are you still in the club, you are a fucking CLUB LEADER.  The most venerated "Christians" among the Christian nationalist movement couldn't be more at odds with the gospel if they tried.

My sacrilegious pastor wife has long had this magnet on our fridge, as a reminder of the real answer to "WWJD?" when asked by these hypocrites:

417WGgc7fmL.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.  The modern American brand of (nationalist) "Christian" is jaw-droppingly at odds with, you know, any recognized tenet of actual Christianity.  Openly lie, steal, cheat on your spouse, commit crimes....and not only are you still in the club, you are a fucking CLUB LEADER.  The most venerated "Christians" among the Christian nationalist movement couldn't be more at odds with the gospel if they tried.

My sacrilegious pastor wife has long had this magnet on our fridge, as a reminder of the real answer to "WWJD?" when asked by these hypocrites:

417WGgc7fmL.jpg

It's important to verbally slap any acquaintance that starts to go on about Christians and politics in regards to voting for the GOP. 

I've always found that someone, without prompting, proclaims their Christianity, is rarely a good Christian. It's all about show and judgement of others.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 10/31/2023 at 2:41 PM, safe sex said:

Eight years of delays

So, somewhat astonishingly, Paxton went to a district court in Llano County (Burnet), where one of the whistleblowers lives, and got a TRO against the whistleblower suit proceeding.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/07/ken-paxton-whistleblower/

A bit of broader context.  A TRO is granted on a sworn application, often without the judge hearing from the opponent.  In the past, I have told clients and people that a Texas state judge would issue a TRO against the earth revolving around the sun if someone would file a sworn affidavit and post a bond.  In Texas, a TRO lasts a maximum of 14 days (unless extended by agreement of the parties) and an adversarial hearing is to be conducted in that time to decide whether to maintain or dissolve a TRO.

I don't and never have done too much in state courts, but trade-secrets and covenants-not-to-compete were one of those things, and those usually involve TROs.  It is my sense, however, that Texas judges have wised up a bit and aren't as free with TROs as they were, say 25 years ago.

So, in that context, where TROs can be granted restraining damn near anything because it only lasts two weeks, This is still astonishing.

Enjoining a litigation in another court is fairly extraordinary in and of itself (got problems, take em up with the court you're already in).  Moreover, the ground for the TRO is that the whistleblowers are in violation of the Settlement Agreement that resulted in the $3M settlement that the lege refused to pay.  It's my understanding that that settlement was contingent upon the lege approving the funds.  No less authority than the Texas Supreme Court has already sent the case back to the trial court for further litigation after the settlement wasn't consummated.  Presumably, that includes a determination that the whistleblowers are entitled to ignore the settlement agreement because the lege didn't pay.

This was a "forum shop" but legit as they go because one of the whistleblowers apparently lives in Llano County.  But it underscores what a clown show Texas courts can be.  The variation in quality of judges is mind-blowing.  This I attribute to judicial elections.

• Rage+1 1

Wow.  Just wow.  Good thing that (1) a TRO and TI are subject to immediate interlocutory appeal, and (2) Burnet County is in the Austin Court of Appeals, where those judges will likely slap this shit down.

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It is my sense, however, that Texas judges have wised up a bit and aren't as free with TROs as they were, say 25 years ago.

This is my experience over my legal career, which is about 25 years.  When I started, it seemed like a trained monkey could get a TRO, and maybe the thinking among the judges was that, "hey, it's only for 14 days, and if at an adversarial evidentiary hearing on a temporary injunction the case looks like bullshit, I'll just deny the temporary injunction."

Over the past 10 years or so, at least in Travis County, the judges have grown to scrutinize TRO's waaaaay more than they used to, especially ex parte TROs, and they'll grill you on how much effort you put into contacting the opposing party and opposing counsel before setting the hearing, and why you need to take up their fucking time on a loaded docket for something that's not taking a kid outside the state in a custody fight or draining someone's bank account.  

Edit:  Article says Paxton's bullshit suit was filed in Burnet County, not Llano County, but still in the Austin Court of Appeals.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Wow.  Just wow.  Good thing that (1) a TRO and TI are subject to immediate interlocutory appeal, and (2) Llano County is in the Austin Court of Appeals, where those judges will likely slap this shit down.

This is my experience over my legal career, which is about 25 years.  When I started, it seemed like a trained monkey could get a TRO, and maybe the thinking among the judges was that, "hey, it's only for 14 days, and if at an adversarial evidentiary hearing on a temporary injunction the case looks like bullshit, I'll just deny the temporary injunction."

Over the past 10 years or so, at least in Travis County, the judges have grown to scrutinize TRO's waaaaay more than they used to, especially ex parte TROs, and they'll grill you on how much effort you put into contacting the opposing party and opposing counsel before setting the hearing, and why you need to take up their fucking time on a loaded docket for something that's not taking a kid outside the state in a custody fight or draining someone's bank account.  

Good that my experiences, a rather limited sample size, seem to be valid.  

1 minute ago, wreckatx said:

This TRO was granted ex parte. The lawyers for OAG did not even try to contact the lawyers for the Whistleblowers. Dirty pool.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/07/ken-paxton-whistleblower/

Bit more context.  The rules actually provide for ex parte relief, so that part is according to Hoyle.

But, as South Austin observes, one of the ways in which Texas judges have gotten smarter about TROs is to refuse to grant them completely ex parte.  Most of the time, they're going to ask you to get the other side on the phone, at the very least.  Sometimes they'll set the hearing in a couple of days so any damage is minimized.

This is fairly unusual.  But, in a pretty non-commercial venue like Llano County, something you might expect, because judges probably don't have much experience with them, compared to the more urban, commercial counties.  Politics notwithstanding.

Still, I expect there was some kind of "understanding" that this judge would be favorable, so yeah dirty pool.

It's only a delay of a couple of weeks, and yeah immediately appealable, but not like most courts of appeal are going to be able to act much faster than 14 days.  Still, in this particular context, pretty fucking disgusting.

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So what the fuck is going on, and what the shit are you two twats talking about. In English, please.

TRO = Temporary Restraining Orders.

You know, those obstacles that celebrities try to throw at you when they don't want to hear your romantic ballads outside their bedroom windows at 1 in the morning in what they thought were heavily secured estates.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Bit more context.  The rules actually provide for ex parte relief, so that part is according to Hoyle.

But, as South Austin observes, one of the ways in which Texas judges have gotten smarter about TROs is to refuse to grant them completely ex parte.  Most of the time, they're going to ask you to get the other side on the phone, at the very least.  Sometimes they'll set the hearing in a couple of days so any damage is minimized.

This is fairly unusual.  But, in a pretty non-commercial venue like Llano County, something you might expect, because judges probably don't have much experience with them, compared to the more urban, commercial counties.  Politics notwithstanding.

Still, I expect there was some kind of "understanding" that this judge would be favorable, so yeah dirty pool.

It's only a delay of a couple of weeks, and yeah immediately appealable, but not like most courts of appeal are going to be able to act much faster than 14 days.  Still, in this particular context, pretty fucking disgusting.

Bit more context: the local rules in Burnet County require the party seeking the TRO to notify the opposing party’s atty, if known, of the TRO and provide them the opportunity to appear. OAG did not do that. Dirty pool.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, wreckatx said:

Bit more context: the local rules in Burnet County require the party seeking the TRO to notify the opposing party’s atty, if known, of the TRO and provide them the opportunity to appear. OAG did not do that. Dirty pool.

Yep.

To be clear, the "chief lawyer of the State of Texas" 1) sought and obtained an anti-suit injunction against a suit that the Supreme Court of Texas has already ruled may proceed, 2) did so via obtaining a forum-shopped TRO, 3) in violation of the local rules of that forum (which rule plainly provides "Before presenting a TRO or petition for extraordinary relief, the Attorney representing the Defendant or Respondent, if known, must be notified by the Plaintiff's or Movant's Attorney and given the opportunity to appear with Plaintiff's or Movant's Attorney.")

That TRO has mandamus written all over it.  It should also have a motion for sanctions attached, and the mandamus and motion should go right to the Supremes, particularly because the anti-suit injunction is directly at odds with an order of that the SCOTX.

Ken Paxton is a lawless asshole.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Paxton says that had he not committed certain illegal acts during the 2020 election, Biden would have won Texas.  I wonder if Texas is actually already, were everything properly counted, a blue state: 

Houston has enough registered voters, who didn't vote, that could have flipped the state.  I'm beginning to wonder about where things stand myself, because the Republicans here are absolutely desperate, and act like somebody grabbing the cash register on the way out of a burning store.

On 11/9/2023 at 1:01 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Would anyone be shocked to find out they have been rigging voting machines in Texas? 

I remember that story a while back of voting machines flipping straight ticket votes from Beto to cruz

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/texans-say-voting-machines-are-flipping-selections-to-the-other-party

Honestly, nothing would surprise me at this point.