Poll for Biden voters (and question for everyone)

Wulaw Horn

If you had the choice of two rallies to go to- 1) where you could hear Biden speak and talk to him afterward or 2) where trump was in a stockade and you could throw rotten tomatoes at him, which event would you attend?

What do you think would be the breakdown of Biden voters?

I’m going with 92-8 throwing tomatoes. What say you? 
How would you have answered in 04, 08, and 12. 

my guess is in 2012 it would be 96/4 hearing/talking to Obama. Pretty similar in 2008. 

my guess for Trump voters in 2020 it would be almost all hearing him talk. My guess is in 16 it would be 60/40 throwing tomatoes at Hillary. 

I guess this is the first election for POTUS I can remember in my lifetime where the person at the center of the election driving the thing is going to lose (Trump). 

That’s pretty incredible string when you think about it.  Last guy to lose an election mostly about him would be Carter I’d guess. Hell- Nixon easily won a referendum election about himself. 

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

giphy.gif

Thanks dude. Let me make it easy. 
Are you voting for Biden or against Trump?
how do you think other people are voting (for Biden or against Trump)?

In the past were you voting for your candidate or against the other candidate?

Then an observation that voting against someone as opposed to for someone else is basically unprecedented in our times and shows how awful Trump is. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

If the question is was my vote for Biden or against Trump, it was without a doubt against Trump. I think Biden will be competent enough as a president, but that’s less of a factor than Trump. I would have voted for Lenin’s reanimated corpse against Trump.

As to your scenario, I’d go talk with Biden. I don’t want vengeance against Trump, I just want obscurity for him. I have no intention of ever listening to him speak again. I just want to pretend that he doesn’t exist. Justice for him would be nice, but really, he just needs to go away.

Edited by Mole
  • Hook 'Em 2

against Trump for me.  I thought he would be too wheels off in the 2016 election and voted against him as well. Biden (and Trump) are too fucking old.  We should not have corpses running the country.  same goes for Senate.  fuck all these ancient mf's whose only goal is to perpetuate themselves in politics.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Why do the tomatoes have to be rotten? What if I have a bushel of hard unripen green tomatoes, or frozen ones? can I throw those?

Fair enough. Will have less of a visual affect but I could see that being satisfying. 

I have had a strong dislike for Donald Trump since I was a little kid in the 1980s. There is no way I was ever going to vote for him as I think he is just a bad person. But I don't hate him or anything. I just think he personally is not somebody I even want to be associated with, much less be my President. So all I want is for him to go away, I don't have any need to punch him in the face. Granted I have been hoping he would go away for 30+ years now and that hasn't been working out for me.

But I am a big Andrew Yang supporter. I believe his policies are what this country needs. He has said that Joe Biden is aligned with us to some extent and that we should support him. So I am happy to do so, especially given the alternative. What we all want is somebody with that kind of super insider Washington knowledge to get things done but isn't a total psycho and maybe that is Joe. I don't know. It is not like Joe Biden is some kind of new figure, he ran for President in 1988 after all, and while he has done lots of things i think were bad ideas I have never had a reason to doubt he at least wants to do decent enough things. Besides as a Democrat I would probably vote for our nominee unless they just really really suck like...um...nevermind. Other previous non-Joe Biden people.

Donna Imam, who is running for Congress in District 31, is endorsed by Andrew Yang so I really hope she wins. Having a representative who agrees with me on most things would be really different. It is a longshot though.

So anyway no I don't really want to throw things at Donald Trump. But if somebody else wanted to throw something at him I wouldn't be too upset about it.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I have had a strong dislike for Donald Trump since I was a little kid in the 1980s. There is no way I was ever going to vote for him as I think he is just a bad person. But I don't hate him or anything. I just think he personally is not somebody I even want to be associated with, much less be my President. So all I want is for him to go away, I don't have any need to punch him in the face. Granted I have been hoping he would go away for 30+ years now and that hasn't been working out for me.

You are my long lost brother.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

But I am a big Andrew Yang supporter. I believe his policies are what this country needs. He has said that Joe Biden is aligned with us to some extent and that we should support him. So I am happy to do so, especially given the alternative. What we all want is somebody with that kind of super insider Washington knowledge to get things done but isn't a total psycho and maybe that is Joe. I don't know. It is not like Joe Biden is some kind of new figure, he ran for President in 1988 after all, and while he has done lots of things i think were bad ideas I have never had a reason to doubt he at least wants to do decent enough things. Besides as a Democrat I would probably vote for our nominee unless they just really really suck like...um...nevermind. Other previous non-Joe Biden people.

Donna Imam, who is running for Congress in District 31, is endorsed by Andrew Yang so I really hope she wins. Having a representative who agrees with me on most things would be really different. It is a longshot though.

So anyway no I don't really want to throw things at Donald Trump. But if somebody else wanted to throw something at him I wouldn't be too upset about it.

My wife used to watch the Apprentice. She loved it. She likes reality TV. She wanted to make it an "our" show. I told her I just couldn't handle his brand of idiocy- made me angry just watching him in the board room (always liked Ivanka OK and his other kids were eh- they aren't as big an idiots as their old man) b/c I was like- this is a stupid stupid man.  

She laughed at him in the board room. Crying now that he's in the Oval office. For me the level of distaste for him has been pretty steady whenever I have to see him on TV regardless of his position in the world. His worst trait, in my opinion, is his certainty he's correct/lack of intellectual curiosity.  I don't think he's probably actually stupid in an IQ sense (I'd be on an IQ between 97-105) but he's the idiot that doesn't realize what he doesn't know, doesn't realize he's not the smartest person in the room but thinks he is.  

Good for you for wanting to punch him in the face for 30+ years.  I was but 12 and wasn't all that cognizant of Trump 30 years ago...

• Like 1

I don't want to throw tomatoes at a stockaded Trump. I want to walk up to him, look at him in the eye, tell him I'm going to punch him in the face, and then punch him in the fucking face and make him cry like the little bitch mama's boy that he is. So, Biden speech. But if my options were "Biden speech or 10 rounds in a ring with Trump fair and square", then ding ding mother fucker.

• Hook 'Em 2

Trump is worse than Carter. And that's saying quite a bit.

Given the choice, I'd go see Biden. Easy choice. Not that I wouldn't love to throw trash at garbage, but getting to talk with the next leader of the free world is worth more to me. And he seems like a cool guy to talk to, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Remember that Bloom County comic where Mike Binkley's anxiety closet barfed up his future self, and mentions "... and then President Trump fired everybody?"

Berke "Cassandra" Breathed there. It was supposed to be a joke!

I would choose to listen to Biden. I've spent quite a bit of time watching, listening, and reading (transcripts) of Trump. I do it not because I want to, and sometimes I do take a break, but because I want these four years to be seared in the memory of voters such as myself to pay attention to the greater world around them and not the little bubble. All the things he did to divide, destroy, and dissemble. All the lies. All the hate. All the cruelty. All the deals. Trump is a symptom and just because he's in a stockade doesn't mean there isn't someone ready and willing to take his place. Some smooth talking shyster comes along and a large group of people will find a new red hat to wear.

So, I'll go see Biden, but I'm not forgetting Trump.

This poll has a strange TahoeHorn vibe to it. Weird. Could just be me.

Anyways, I'll play along. I voted Biden, and I'd rather get a chance to meet Biden than throw a tomato at Trump. Meeting a former VP, and likely P, in person is a once in a lifetime event that you can hang your hat on for the rest of your life. I don't think the satisfaction from throwing a tomato at Trump would last more than a week.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you had the choice of two rallies to go to- 1) where you could hear Biden speak and talk to him afterward or 2) where trump was in a stockade and you could throw rotten tomatoes at him, which event would you attend?

What do you think would be the breakdown of Biden voters?

I’m going with 92-8 throwing tomatoes. What say you? 
How would you have answered in 04, 08, and 12. 

my guess is in 2012 it would be 96/4 hearing/talking to Obama. Pretty similar in 2008. 

my guess for Trump voters in 2020 it would be almost all hearing him talk. My guess is in 16 it would be 60/40 throwing tomatoes at Hillary. 

I guess this is the first election for POTUS I can remember in my lifetime where the person at the center of the election driving the thing is going to lose (Trump). 

That’s pretty incredible string when you think about it.  Last guy to lose an election mostly about him would be Carter I’d guess. Hell- Nixon easily won a referendum election about himself. 

If Mahomes can be my replacement arm, I’m in on throwing tomato at trump.

4 minutes ago, ndawg said:

This poll has a strange TahoeHorn vibe to it. Weird. Could just be me.

Anyways, I'll play along. I voted Biden, and I'd rather get a chance to meet Biden than throw a tomato at Trump. Meeting a former VP, and likely P, in person is a once in a lifetime event that you can hang your hat on for the rest of your life. I don't think the satisfaction from throwing a tomato at Trump would last more than a week.

I'd have to think throwing a tomato at a sitting president would be a once in a lifetime thing too, in this absurd hypothetical I've crafted.

And this is nothing like a Tahoe poll!  I gave me opinion, in a couple of different places even.  He never did that.

21 minutes ago, Helobious said:

My hope is to never in my life attend a political rally or event of any kind. So far so good.

I went to hear Lloyd Bentsen speak in 1988.  I was a Senior in High School and it was semi-mandatory.

I don't care to go to another one, unless it is local or state issues.

Edited by slorch

I voted FOR Biden.

Thinking of it as a vote against Trump is very short-sighted.  I voted against Trump, and McConnell, and Cruz, and Graham, and Cornyn, and Gaetz, and Abbott, and Dan Patrick, and... and... and...

It's not about Trump - miserable and terrible as he is - it's about the entire Republican party identity currently.  I voted against ALL of it.  I find what they do disgusting on a national level, and entirely embarrassing on an international level. 

But the main point, is I voted FOR the party that I feel stands in direct contrast to all of that.

I don't want to watch Biden speak, I just want to have the confidence that he will act in the best interests of the citizens in his country, and in the best interests of his country in the world, which I believe he will.  Trump has shown with his actions that he cares about neither of those.

I don't want to throw tomatoes at Trump.  I just want him to pay the price for his actions, and then disappear.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

I voted FOR Biden.

Thinking of it as a vote against Trump is very short-sighted.  I voted against Trump, and McConnell, and Cruz, and Graham, and Cornyn, and Gaetz, and Abbott, and Dan Patrick, and... and... and...

It's not about Trump - miserable and terrible as he is - it's about the entire Republican party identity currently.  I voted against ALL of it.  I find what they do disgusting on a national level, and entirely embarrassing on an international level. 

But the main point, is I voted FOR the party that I feel stands in direct contrast to all of that.

I don't want to watch Biden speak, I just want to have the confidence that he will act in the best interests of the citizens in his country, and in the best interests of his country in the world, which I believe he will.  Trump has shown with his actions that he cares about neither of those.

I don't want to throw tomatoes at Trump.  I just want him to pay the price for his actions, and then disappear.

bingo

It’s a bit of one of those stories we tell ourselves to make us feel better, but I can connect with the Jon Stewart take on Biden as the tragedy-stricken figure best suited to see us out of these dark times.

As I’ve mentioned above and elsewhere, it’s not so much that the current policies are cruel and terrible (they’re cruel and terrible), it’s that we’ve become cruel and terrible — full of hatred and division. That works hand in hand with the Trump movement; he arose out of this division and hatred and continues to amplify it as his only strategy.

It’s impossible to function or even rationally deal with policy in this environment. Even the perfect policies would fail under these conditions — it’s more fundamental than the right legislation. Our culture and social order is failing.

Biden is relatively inoffensive politically and has a life story with a good bit of tragedy — the stutter, the accident, Beau’s cancer, even Hunter’s addiction. If I squint hard enough, I could buy him actually repairing some of the broken parts of our social order, to the extent that a president can impact this (Trump has surely proven that they can).

Actual humanity can go a long way to getting back to arguing about marginal tax rates.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Mole said:

It’s impossible to function or even rationally deal with policy in this environment. Even the perfect policies would fail under these conditions — it’s more fundamental than the right legislation. Our culture and social order is failing.

This. SO much this.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

My hope is to never in my life attend a political rally or event of any kind. So far so good.

during high school we took a field trip to a dole/kemp rally.  started a dole/kemp chant which we subtlely changed to old/gimp.

Edited by elfenix

3 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Why do the tomatoes have to be rotten? What if I have a bushel of hard unripen green tomatoes, or frozen ones? can I throw those?

Can I bring a few cans of Campbell’s tomato soup?

Or even better, a nice 28 oz. can of San Marzano tomatoes. Then go home and make some spaghetti. 

My dream scenario would be watching a cage match between Dave Chappelle and Laura Ingraham (he called her a cunt on netflix), but I'd settle for watching an educated, erudite civil rights activist debate police tactics with a trumpist South East Texas Box Face with a shitty haircut Karen.  Both would be shot up with sodium pentothal.

my bet is that Karen would be sobbing and admitting she was afraid of black people by the end.

For purposes of this thread, I'd rather talk to Joe.

Edited by BearSchlong

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

It definitely started as against Trump, but as the campaign has gone on I've become more and more pro-Biden.  But my additional pro-Biden feeling doesn't come at the expense of my anti-Trump animus.  It's not a zero-sum game.

This is where I am. I definitely hate Trump more than I like Biden but I'm not having to hold my nose to vote for Biden.

To answer the intent of the poll, I'm absolutely voting against Trump. I've warmed up to Biden a little bit, but it's mostly out of respect for him running a very clean and intelligent campaign. I've been really surprised, for an old ass baby boomer blue hair, his messaging has been consistent and on-point. His entire team has been concise and effective when they're out in public. His marketing and social media games have been great.

I'm fully aware that those things are not being done by him. But it appears to show that he is good at building teams and delegating and letting smart people do smart things. That's what I'm hoping for, and I think most of you are hoping for, out of his presidency. 

So he's grown on me just by being impressively effective and intelligent. But yeah, I'm still voting more against Trump than anything. 

That said, I won't vote for another Baby Boomer or Silent Gen president again. But one thing at a time.

Edited by BradInATX

23 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

To answer the actual question, is choose #1.  Once Trump is gone is rather just simply try and forget he ever existed, sort of like the Charlie strong days of it football.  

But to answer the underlying question, yes I voted against Trump.  If the democratic candidate ran on a platform of "I'm gonna fix all the shit Trump did in my first year, then I'm gonna just sit on my ass and play golf the rest of my term" I'd vote for that guy. 

19 hours ago, DanRydell said:

This is where I am. I definitely hate Trump more than I like Biden but I'm not having to hold my nose to vote for Biden.

This. Donald can go EABOD and go to NY pound me in the ass prison along with Don Jr. and Jared. Ivanka can whore herself to the a Yemeni warlord. Eric is too dumb, so we'll stick him in a home for retards.

On the Dem side, I wanted Pete and would have begrudgingly voted for Biden. But fast forward 11 months, I think Biden has done a good job outlining his proposals. I voted for him and every Dem on the ballot. Because fuck the GOP (and I used to lean R).