Sweet Jawja Special Elections

Zonahorn

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So when do these two get seated, and when do we get to see Mitch demoted? I have a chubby just thinking about it.

Guessing Georgia SOS and gov aren’t in the mood to fuck around. 

Mitch is demoted as soon as Harris takes the oath 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I imagine the republicans will use every stalling tactic at their disposal to keep it 50-48 for as long as possible. So who knows. 

Considering how both Perdue and Loeffler went after the GA SoS and Governor I think the latter cannot wait to certify the losses even though it costs their own party the senate. Those idiots made it personal and it cost them both. 

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:
7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:
I imagine the republicans will use every stalling tactic at their disposal to keep it 50-48 for as long as possible. So who knows. 

It's 49-48 right now because we're in a new congress already, Purdue didn't win in November so that Georgia seat is vacant.

It's 51-48 with a vacant seat.  It will flip to 50-50 with the seating of Warnock (50-49) and Ossoff (50-50). 

116th Senate was 53-47 pre-Election, McSally lost and Kelly was sat, so the final 116th Senate was 52-48.  Perdue's term expired January 3 with no winner in that race, so 51-48. 

Edited by Js1

23 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Not a dumb question - the Democrats can use their tie-breaking vote with Kamala to lead all committees. However, the last time this happened:

Unlikely to occur this time as Lott states:

So we should expect Democrats to run everything for now. 

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/might-happen-democrats-sweep-georgia-090657722.html

If Dems bent the rules to give Rs more power I would riot.  They won't, but god damn.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If Dems bent the rules to give Rs more power I would riot.  They won't, but god damn.

Dems will compromise. It's what they do. "If we work with them, maybe they wont rape us when they have power."  Pubs get power and immediately rape Dems. Dems finally get it back and its right back to "If we work with them, maybe they won't rape us when they have power."  A kicked dog needs to learn when its time to bite. 

If Ossoff hangs on, the Dems need to tell the GOP to fuck off and actually get shit done this time. No compromises. Won't happen though. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

This may have been asked and answered but why the difference in votes cast, both in total and for candidates?    I guess Georgians can stomach Perdue better?

I am far from an expert on GA (or any) politics, but from I've read there are essentially four reasons.

In no particular order:

- Purdue is a big name in GA politics so expected to do better on that regard

- Loeffler had not been elected, but appointed, so presumably had less incumbency advantage

- Warnock is better known / had longer political background than Ossoff, so he had a bit more of an advantage over Loeffler

- People are more likely to vote for a man than a woman, so even absent all of the above expect to see a bit of differential

I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but this is my understanding of key reasons.

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Schumer should tell them to get fucked, circa 2013-2021.  And keep lobbying Murkowski behind the scenes to go indie and caucus with the Dems.

Give her Natural Resources committee chair (sorry Manchin)

Name is the "Joe Biden $2,000 Stimulus but also Lisa Murkowski and Joe Manchin $8,000 for Alaska and West Virginia" bill

Give her 17 more Bridges to Nowhere - pork pork pork! 

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Dems will compromise. It's what they do. "If we work with them, maybe they wont rape us when they have power."  Pubs get power and immediately rape Dems. Dems finally get it back and its right back to "If we work with them, maybe they won't rape us when they have power."  A kicked dog needs to learn when its time to bite. 

If Ossoff hangs on, the Dems need to tell the GOP to fuck off and actually get shit done this time. No compromises. Won't happen though. 

Again, if this happens, we should riot.  This is not a time to heal.  This is a time to crush them and let them know what fuck around and find out means.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

That doesn't seem like Mitch's way and I hate that piece of shit

Mitch just saw Donald Trump blow up his majority. He is not going to reward that fat sack of shit with anything.

Mitch McConnell will be around DC a hell of a lot longer than Donald Trump. 

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Here is your policy nickel summary it's always the same.  The Dems are NEVER unified the way the GOP is.  AOC and the Squad?  Fuck, unless you watch Fox News they are some second term kids, that have great twitter feeds.  Beyond that, they simply are a minority, of the elected Dems.  The GOP tends to vote much more uniformly. 

Fracking - more regulation.  Can't just burn off everything without any concerns for pollution anymore. (Texas has like one testing machine they don't bother to use)

Inrastructure - likely a massive infrastructure bill to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure ignored in preference of tax cuts for millionaires.

Taxes - it will be interesting here, as you will need to pull a couple Republicans. Some reform

Student Loans - some sort of modifications, and reduction of interest rates, why profit off our children's education to give millionaires tax breaks?

Marijuana Legalization/Decriminalization is gonna be a big off year election issue in 2022, that Biden is going to warm to, like he did to gay marriage.

Trumpsters are gonna be mad as hell.  They are going to pretend that there was that one year Trump produced more jobs than Obama did... a LIE!  They are going to believe that votes were stolen in 2020 and the Russians were for Hillary in 2016, another LIE.  They will believe most any lie because recognition of reality means they are FUCKING DUMBASSES. 

tenor (5).gif

• Like 1

Remember that the last time the Senate had a 50/50 split was in the wake of the 2000 election which was a lot more contentious than this one (any issues this time are exclusively at the feet of Trump and his behavior). Republicans had incentive to offer the olive branch to the Democrats to move forward and accept W's win that year. 

Democrats have no such incentive - they won the presidency convincingly and just took BOTH GOP seats in an R +5 state. That and like the article stated Mitch and Chuck don't exactly get along.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I sort of agree and sort of disagree with this. There are a LOT of the more "moderate" wing of the Democratic Senate who seem to have learned their lesson and are genuinely furious at their Republican colleagues for their behavior the past few years, especially for replacing RBG. Why it took them so long I don't know, but I think most of them have finally really come around and see the GOP for what it really is. 

This doesn't mean they're all going to suddenly become progressives overnight because ideologically most of them aren't progressives, but I don't think we're going to see years of serious attempts at getting GOP buy in on shit that Dems want to get done. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Sterling shouldn't be taking these questions in a PC about results. It is a bad look.

Yeah, it's weird.  The reporter just asked him about it but he didn't really have a good answer.

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I sort of agree and sort of disagree with this. There are a LOT of the more "moderate" wing of the Democratic Senate who seem to have learned their lesson and are genuinely furious at their Republican colleagues for their behavior the past few years, especially for replacing RBG. Why it took them so long I don't know, but I think most of them have finally really come around and see the GOP for what it really is. 

This doesn't mean they're all going to suddenly become progressives overnight because ideologically most of them aren't progressives, but I don't think we're going to see years of serious attempts at getting GOP buy in on shit that Dems want to get done. 

I agree.  There was a lot of anger not just over the RBG seat, but also not even giving Obama's pick a hearing in 2016.  Moderate Democrats who still see the Senate as the greatest deliberative body have been fucking pissed off at what McConnell has done to it.  

5 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Sterling shouldn't be taking these questions in a PC about results. It is a bad look.

Nah fuck it.  

6 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Normally yes, but again, he has to inject reason and logic into the conversation. He's getting death threats. Raffenberger are getting death threats. He has to let people know what the probable outcome is going to be. 

Fox News, Parlour, FB loops, Trump, Republicans won't tell the people the truth. They espouse conspiracy theories and say it's rigged and stolen, and don't let this happen. Go to the streets. 

He's trying to depressurize the situation. 

58 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

This may have been asked and answered but why the difference in votes cast, both in total and for candidates?    I guess Georgians can stomach Perdue better?

A combination of name recognition, Perdue being slightly more moderate than Loeffler (he actually at least pays some lip service to black people) and it helps that he's not a woman.

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The diff between an elected incumbent and an appointed Senator. They know Perdue better and he’s a household name bc of his family. 

Some of this. Also, Loeffler is cartoonishly horrifying. Maybe her cartoon villain qualities seem more offensive to some because she’s a woman, but she’s objectively more horrifying than Perdue.

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Plus the other guy is a Jew.  

Probably a little of this. There’s probably a bit of anti-Semitism baked into American politics in general, but Perdue hasn’t altered any pictures of Ossoff’s nose in months, so I guess they didn’t find it that effective.

More generally, while Ossoff is young, smart, and a good candidate, he isn’t quite as compelling as Warnock. Georgia was won with black organizers registering black voters. The senior pastor at Ebenezer Baptist and a child of the poverty resonates in a way that a child of privilege turned documentarian doesn’t. Add in Loeffler’s making this election about the black church too.

I suspect that enthusiasm was far higher for Warnock than Ossoff. I could also see some generally R leaning, white Christian values voters seeing Warnock as acceptable and then also voting for Perdue.

If you look at county by county numbers, there wasn’t that much splitting of tickets, just a little here and there, always favoring Warnock over Ossoff.

What’s absolutely amazing to me is that during the height of extreme right wing nationalist identity politics, Georgia just elected a Black senator and a Jewish senator.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mole said:

More generally, while Ossoff is young, smart, and a good candidate, he isn’t quite as compelling as Warnock. Georgia was won with black organizers registering black voters. The senior pastor at Ebenezer Baptist and a child of the poverty resonates in a way that a child of privilege turned documentarian doesn’t. Add in Loeffler’s making this election about the black church too.

I suspect that enthusiasm was far higher for Warnock than Ossoff. I could also see some generally R leaning, white Christian values voters seeing Warnock as acceptable and then also voting for Perdue.

If you look at county by county numbers, there wasn’t that much splitting of tickets, just a little here and there, always favoring Warnock over Ossoff.

What’s absolutely amazing to me is that during the height of extreme right wing nationalist identity politics, Georgia just elected a Black senator and a Jewish senator.

Which is also why it was HUGE that Schumer and the DSCC got Ossoff in the Perdue race and Warnock in the Loeffler race.  Ossoff has a 6 year term.  Warnock, the much stronger candidate, has to run in 2022 and gets Abrams as his defacto running mate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

I will miss Bob Ross to my dying day.

There will never be another Bob Ross, but I think I found where Bob was reincarnated.

There is a youtuber that goes by NDYakAngler who specializes in lake and river fishing in Minn, Wisc., and the Dakotas.  Whenever I need a Bob Ross fix, I go watch this guy.

He has more calming videos than the one I posted below, but you will get the idea.  He gets most like Bob when he is after small mouth bass. Thank me later for a nice break from the dirty complicated world of politics.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3