Parler = Trumpkin Facebook....?

Aqua Buddha

On 1/10/2021 at 1:18 AM, TexasEd said:

Nope.

They have a host of other apps like Telegram, Zello (think of the old Nextel Push to talk), Slack, and others.  I used to play some multi-player games where we had virtual turf battles over wide geographic (like virtual geocaching and capture the flag stuff) areas and we would plan ops that took precision timing.  It was a rush and the planning of those events is similar to what these terrorists are doing and executing using these apps.  I think some of them play paint ball this way too.  My friends and I were just fighting over virtual, not real stuff. 

This is the part where Gab concerns me a little. I posted about it in another thread. I didn't know what Gab was, so when Parler was getting the ax and the chatter started, right wingers were saying, "move to Gab," and that appears to be what is happening. Me, being more curious than is good for me, started looking around and then saw the bit where they got deplatformed(?) because of the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter. In the meantime, they rebuilt and came back. Similar to Parler but apparently they have their own stuff so what happened in the past won't happen again with respect to being shut down.

Their lead guy is a Christian with a particular perspective, and with the green frog as their emblem (a kinder cartoonier version of that Pepe frog) and in retrospect, their somewhat dubious associations with far right nationalists, white supremacists, and such, I'm concerned that some of the evangelicals will wander over thinking it's no big deal. You know, come for the Christianity as victim identity and stay and get radicalized. I suspect many would be turned off by that, but someone who has already left twitter (cancel culture), been "forced" off Parler, and is now seeking out a safe space may be susceptible to what they're peddling. The far far right is trying very hard to stay mainstreamed and relevant right now. Richard Spencer got sidelined after Charlottesville--enough people were horrified by what they saw. Others stepped up after that and gained traction. They're never going to be completely gone, but this part of our national psyche needs to be pushed back against.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/01/11/facebook-says-it-will-remove-references-to-stop-the-steal-across-its-platform/?tpcc=ECTW2020

In the wake of last week’s violence at the U.S. Capitol, Facebook today announced it will be taking additional steps to removing content referencing the phrase “stop the steal” on its platform. The phrase is associated with the right-wing campaign that falsely alleges the democratic U.S. elections have been rigged and aims to keep Trump in power by any means necessary, including now, violent insurrection. Facebook had previously removed some of the original Stop the Steal groups in November, and says it has continued to remove Pages, groups and events that violate its policies, including calls for violence.

As TechCrunch had previously reported, Facebook had also began to block election conspiracy hashtags back in November 2020, including #sharpiegate and #stopthesteal. Searches for those would not return groups or posts, as result.

However, the cleanup effort was not as widespread or as ongoing as Facebook would have you believe. As of the time of writing, we’re aware of several active Facebook Groups that are still literally called “stop the steal,” for example.

23 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This is the part where Gab concerns me a little. I posted about it in another thread. I didn't know what Gab was, so when Parler was getting the ax and the chatter started, right wingers were saying, "move to Gab," and that appears to be what is happening. Me, being more curious than is good for me, started looking around and then saw the bit where they got deplatformed(?) because of the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter. In the meantime, they rebuilt and came back. Similar to Parler but apparently they have their own stuff so what happened in the past won't happen again with respect to being shut down.

Their lead guy is a Christian with a particular perspective, and with the green frog as their emblem (a kinder cartoonier version of that Pepe frog) and in retrospect, their somewhat dubious associations with far right nationalists, white supremacists, and such, I'm concerned that some of the evangelicals will wander over thinking it's no big deal. You know, come for the Christianity as victim identity and stay and get radicalized. I suspect many would be turned off by that, but someone who has already left twitter (cancel culture), been "forced" off Parler, and is now seeking out a safe space may be susceptible to what they're peddling. The far far right is trying very hard to stay mainstreamed and relevant right now. Richard Spencer got sidelined after Charlottesville--enough people were horrified by what they saw. Others stepped up after that and gained traction. They're never going to be completely gone, but this part of our national psyche needs to be pushed back against.

Just spitballing but... Probably rebuilt with their hardware in a collocated facility.  They rent rackspace, electricity and bandwidth but the computers are theirs.  The may still be booted by the landlord if it gets bad again.

I don't know that they are collocated.

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

Just spitballing but... Probably rebuilt with their hardware in a collocated facility.  They rent rackspace, electricity and bandwidth but the computers are theirs.  The may still be booted by the landlord if it gets bad again.

This was what I found, but I didn't know what all that means like you genius computer people do. They have their own in house servers (10) according to the owner, if that's what you mean by computers. They are getting inundated right now so are really slow and that may turn people off. I notice most folks are keeping twitter that are higher up, and since people can link from their gab accounts to twitter by embedding them, they may still be able to 'own' the libs, but they won't be able to talk to them unless they keep their account to reply. I did see that 'catturd' is on gab. I'm sure he will be much beloved by them.

Strange and dangerous times.

22 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

this is why I talked about ISP refusal of service. If the internet cuts you off as a customer you can't buy internet from anyone including your COLO provider, they can sell you electricity and stuff still and your servers will run, but they can't connect to the public internet because the ISP can deny service.

There are very very few companies who have trunks into the backbone of the internet and likely all of them (publicly traded etc) would block Parler and possibly Gab very soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Richard Spencer true colors was unfolded through a recording of a call. 

I think that killing a very popular platform like Parler that had many basic conservatives, then force them into a more a space like Gab is just bad/good. You just made lots of people mad that might not had cared as much, and made them more susceptible, but then you could have just made it more moderate. We'll find out. You can't kill an idea by force, the Sacrotes out front should of told you that.

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

this is why I talked about ISP refusal of service. If the internet cuts you off as a customer you can't buy internet from anyone including your COLO provider, they can sell you electricity and stuff still and your servers will run, but they can't connect to the public internet because the ISP can deny service.

There are very very few companies who have trunks into the backbone of the internet and likely all of them (publicly traded etc) would block Parler and possibly Gab very soon. 

It's crazy to think this site could be gone, just cause Google says so.

Yeah no AS for parler, unlike Facebook, Twitter, reddit etc. It'd be a shame if they had a new colo and nobody announced their routes/handled their dns.

We don't repeatedly violate basic terms of use of really any provider.

We did get a few reports to the old colocation provider about activity in breach of their Terms of Service and a few people have threatened to sue our provider that wanted their content taken down, however when push comes to shove they typically don't side with the person claiming this unless there is real harm they can show intentionally happened. In our case putting figurelli or the like on blast isn't really in violation of the terms.

Calling for figurelli to be beheaded and that we have a ritual dancing in his blood being a major thing coming out of our site would most certainly get us kicked out of a colo though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

but then you could have just made it more moderate. We'll find out.

I guess we'll find out, because they have a lot of new users and in some ways are much more user friendly than Parler based on my simple navigation yesterday. They also don't censor Q stuff so those folks are happy about that.

13 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I think that killing a very popular platform like Parler that had many basic conservatives, then force them into a more a space like Gab is just bad/good. You just made lots of people mad that might not had cared as much, and made them more susceptible, but then you could have just made it more moderate. We'll find out. You can't kill an idea by force, the Sacrotes out front should of told you that.

Still stupid, I see.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Appeasement rarely works with fascists, historically speaking. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Appeasement rarely works with fascists, historically speaking. 

Correct. When has force ever shutdown a poisonous ideology?

Worked pretty well here:

e37c1814af9d37343e18b9426153ef1e.gif

Germany has been pretty light on nazis for 75 years now....although workswithseeds’ boys and allies like Bannon are doing what they can to boost AfD and similar heirs to naziism. But make no mistake, denying evil a platform is effective.

I’m good with providers and storage centers denying their services to an App that happily hosts and leaves up elaborate posts about how to murder every dem and all of their families. I’m good with that. The first amendment has always had limits - even if the govt is the actor, it can still shit down violent speech.

8 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Still a fuckhead, and that's okay.

No, I'm an asshole who's done trying to explain to idiots like you how stupid they are. Just know that you are the George Costanza of political thought. Every single instinct you have when reacting to something is absolutely wrong and you would seem a lot smarter if you simply did the exact opposite of what your instincts told you. Every single time.

Your suggestion here is that people should have just tried to get Parler to moderate itself better and surely that would have worked. That is one of the dumbest things ever said. If you don't want to be called stupid then stop saying so many stupid things.

1. Parler did moderate. In an effort to increase the violent rhetoric. But maybe if you'd personally asked them pretty please, I'm sure.

2. They allowed a violent attack on the US Capitol to be discussed, planned, and reported using their platform.

3. If their business partners, rather than cutting them off, had forced them to moderate in the way they wanted then upper level geniuses like you would have still said it was censorship and "been super duper worried" about people just moving somewhere else.

4. Perhaps most importantly, they DID try to get Parler to moderate better. Apple said they would be removed if they didn't moderate the violent, seditious, illegal content. Parler refused. So they found out.

5. The government still hasn't done shit to Parler. Free market spoke, dipshits.

If you have any further concerns please refer back to the last sentence in paragraph two.

• Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but since he has that P icon, he had to give Parler his TDL (assuming he is from Juarez) or Social Security #.   So this isn't just some random fake troll.

Juarez is in Mexico 

image.png.2d77ff13dada67edf24874a3633e268e.png

JK

Insurrectionists that stormed Capitol Hill and uploaded videos to the right-wing social media app Parler gave away their GPS coordinates to the app.

That data has now been scraped and archived by researchers, who could use the data to help identify criminals.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/parler-capitol-hill-personal-data-b1785343.html

Related to the info the hack provided.   "I wasn't there" sure won't work.

i'm not caught up with this thread, but i've heard telegram is one of the potential destinations for a lot of this garbage.

i have telegram, and have used it for a couple of years for my football app game communication.  before that we used slack and kik.  they're all generally the same, and similar to whatsapp.  and just like whatsapp, you don't need an invite to connect with someone, if they're in your contacts, you're already connected through the app, providing you both have it installed on your device.

so when someone in my contacts joins telegram, just like kik or whatsapp, i get a blank message from them and it says "joe smith has joined telegram."  i get 1-2 of these per month, and just delete them, as typically it's some random person i barely know (i don't communicate with anyone through telegram outside my game).

today i have gotten about 8 of those messages, some from people i know and others not so much, but there's a trumper flavor there for sure.  no way it's coincidental.

8 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

There is a LOT of discussion on TexAgs about Texas secession.  It is the most preposterous notion imaginable, and most don't consider that College Station and other rural "white" Texas communities are not what makes up the bulk of Texas.  But it is fun to read. 

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3174992

None of those dumb sons of bitches ever stops to think about a few things:

1. Whites make up less than 43% of Texans
  2. Hispanics make up around 41-45% of Texans, and starting in 2007, starting making up half (or more) of all births
  3. Catholicism is the biggest religion
  4. We border a large Hispanic country with a massive Catholic population

It's like the "WE NEED MORE RELIGION IN SCHOOLS" and you point out that they'd be getting more Catholicism than anything, and all of the sudden they tone it way down.

8 hours ago, shakahorn said:

When the news first broke, my initial thought was gimme a $1m budget for hardware and 5-6 smart engineers, and I could have it up and running in 48 hours.

Now, I'm thinking, cobble together my spare parts, buy me a 12 pack and I can do it overnight. Maybe I need some help from my 14 year old nephew.

If a chunk of Parler was running on WordPress, I can imagine the admins:

"Hey, we need this new function"

"Okay, hey just find a WordPress plugin for it"

"We already have 47 plugins."

"And that's why we are running on AWS!"

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Captainant said:

"Our verification system ensures that you are a real person interacting with other real verified people on Parler and allows for quality exchanges of ideas without interference from bots and spammers. "
Their site may be down but google caches are still up baybeee

A $20 fee for an active account would be a lot more effective and cut out the bots, or make it $5 or $10 a month subscription.  And it would bring in some revenue.  And you don't have to store personal info like a fucking driver's license on the site.

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Keep in mind that these people were chased out of reddit last year (The_Donald or The Great Storm or whatever were insanely popular), because they couldn't stop fucking around and finding out (such as posting addresses of liberals, stalking where their kids went to school, etc.).  Their forums at Voat.co closed because the owner couldn't get financing.

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I've been running websites, albeit small scale, for over 15 years.  Google tweaks their algorithm with their bots/search rankings, I lose traffic.  A year or two later, they make another tweak, I gain traffic.  It's the nature of the beast, but it's extremely rare that I didn't understand the changes and how to deal with them, and also that Google didn't announce them months in advance.  

Granted, that's simply about search engine rankings, but the point is, when you are running websites, and something changes, whether it's the amount of traffic, or your host getting pissed at something you are hosting, well this shit doesn't happen in a vacuum.  All of the warning signs were there for Parler to get booted out of the app stores and off of AWS.

I'm actually more interested in how they were able to hang in there so long, but money.  They were paying their monthly bills.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

These people are so damn stupid I'm ashamed I'm not making any money off their dumbasses.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that.  No way in hell would I deal with any websites devoted to them, but been thinking about publishing some stuff to make a quick buck.

19 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Just think about how stupid you would have to be to turn over the front and back of your drivers license, your photo and you SSN to an extreme far right website that’s only been around a few years.

You're asking alot from a group with a barely highschool level of education

Large groups of people have been getting sucked into dangerous bullshit and losing their goddamned minds for a long time. For a lot of reasons, that has become a huge problem over the past ~15 years. And we have not been equipped to deal with it. It crept up, people who had the ability to put a stop to it didn't because it was useful to them. It was profitable for them, it increased their political power, it vaulted them into positions of importance. And then it became a monster and you have the past 4 years, and the incredible amount of damage that has been done to this country. And then we have a moment like this, where a mass of people who are just like the people in our lives we have watched transform literally try to violently overthrow the government. That's a shock. I think most people here are still coming to grips with how serious that was. It's hard to take anything that these people do seriously, because they are so stupid and pathetic. Which is one reason it has been hard to deal with - every rational person thinks "it just can't happen, right?" and then Donald Trump is the 45th president. And then we have this moment, where these delusional traitors were going to lynch the government. They killed a cop and overran the capitol building while the transfer of power was taking place.

"If you shut down parler they'll go somewhere else worse" - Some will, some won't. Some that do will see where they are and back out the door. Some won't. Fine. Fuck them. It's time for consequences. It is my sincere hope that we have reached the tipping point and this bullshit is no longer welcome in polite society. We're in for some bumps, and not just in the next two weeks. Maybe the lunatics will win, I still don't think so. I'm up for getting on with it rather than continuing the erosion of everything that has ever made America manifest the greatness of its mythology. If people want to follow the lunatics to the fringes, they can go be lunatics on the fringes. That's a good place for lunatics to be.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

A $20 fee for an active account would be a lot more effective and cut out the bots, or make it $5 or $10 a month subscription.  And it would bring in some revenue.  And you don't have to store personal info like a fucking driver's license on the site.

Could have asked for a picture of their aggy diploma to get the special tag

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

So it seems the trumpy talking points have all now shifted to evil Big Tech.

Big Tech is evil and needs to be broken up. The coordination they showed is terrifying.

I am happy that their targets are suffering, but this same weapon is going to be turned against the people again and again and again.

• Like 1

Big Tech is evil and needs to be broken up. The coordination they showed is terrifying.
I am happy that their targets are suffering, but this same weapon is going to be turned against the people again and again and again.

Evil for different reasons. I’ve got no problem with them enforcing their terms of service. I do have a problem with them controlling the market for information.
  • Like 1

Large groups of people have been getting sucked into dangerous bullshit and losing their goddamned minds for a long time. For a lot of reasons, that has become a huge problem over the past ~15 years. And we have not been equipped to deal with it. It crept up, people who had the ability to put a stop to it didn't because it was useful to them. It was profitable for them, it increased their political power, it vaulted them into positions of importance. And then it became a monster and you have the past 4 years, and the incredible amount of damage that has been done to this country. And then we have a moment like this, where a mass of people who are just like the people in our lives we have watched transform literally try to violently overthrow the government. That's a shock. I think most people here are still coming to grips with how serious that was. It's hard to take anything that these people do seriously, because they are so stupid and pathetic. Which is one reason it has been hard to deal with - every rational person thinks "it just can't happen, right?" and then Donald Trump is the 45th president. And then we have this moment, where these delusional traitors were going to lynch the government. They killed a cop and overran the capitol building while the transfer of power was taking place.
"If you shut down parler they'll go somewhere else worse" - Some will, some won't. Some that do will see where they are and back out the door. Some won't. Fine. Fuck them. It's time for consequences. It is my sincere hope that we have reached the tipping point and this bullshit is no longer welcome in polite society. We're in for some bumps, and not just in the next two weeks. Maybe the lunatics will win, I still don't think so. I'm up for getting on with it rather than continuing the erosion of everything that has ever made America manifest the greatness of its mythology. If people want to follow the lunatics to the fringes, they can go be lunatics on the fringes. That's a good place for lunatics to be.

Shame and ostracism have a very important place in a functioning society.

10 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Evil for different reasons. I’ve got no problem with them enforcing their terms of service. I do have a problem with them controlling the market for information.

But... are they really?

I am happy that Trump is gone and the MAGA freaks are getting owned, but did Apple and Google seriously just coincidentally come to a TOS conclusion at the same time? Right alongside Twitter and Facebook/Instagram?

If it was about TOS enforcement then Trump would've been banned from Twitter in 2015 and would probably be on FB still (since he doesn't really use it).

I can't celebrate this shit, because we're still just slaves to the whims of different billionaire psychopaths and some concept of the strong hand of the market.

I don't have a cohesive solution idea or even a fully coherent framework of argumentation, but I know enough of what I'm seeing is bad to be happy about it at all. The speed and power of this unaccountable authority is alarming.

Fuck Jack, Fuck Jeff, Fuck Mark

Big Tech needs to be regulated heavily but it has nothing to do with them booting racist violent nazis off their platforms 

And just because they let shit slide for so long for monetary gain doesn’t mean they can’t enforce their terms of service whenever the fuck they want. 

Many companies allow below standard employees continue to collect a paycheck because they produce something, and they haven’t fucked anything up that much, and the company is making money and can afford the extra fat but once that want to terminate their at will contract for whatever reason, downturn, they sure as shit do. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 2

Big Tech is kicking the lunatics off of the platform because we have reached the point where the lunatics have pushed too far for big institutional powers. And also now it is easy to do and a PR win. They tried to overthrow the government, they're still trying to do it, people have died, they have violated our terms and services, so yes we are forced to refuse service to them, as our peers have done (we would like stability and a functional government we can work with as we try and increase value for our shareholders thank you very much).

I'm sure I'm not 100% aligned with b_t on big tech, but I also don't disagree. I actually would have a problem with the idea that these guys couldn't even connect their own servers to the internet. I would have more of a problem with Apple's app store and closed garden if Android wasn't sitting right there with very little barrier to doing whatever you want. I don't really have a problem at all with cloud providers saying no.

20 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I wanted to tag chickensandwich into the discussion on banning parler since DT isn't appropriate for that.

What is wrong with a private business enforcing its term of service against a website that is repeatedly and knowingly violating TOS? Have you read the letter outlining why their accounts were suspended?

Dear Amy,

Thank you for speaking with us earlier today.

As we discussed on the phone yesterday and this morning, we remain troubled by the repeated violations of our terms of service. Over the past several weeks, we’ve reported 98 examples to Parler of posts that clearly encourage and incite violence. Here are a few examples below from the ones we’ve sent previously: [See images in link.]

Recently, we’ve seen a steady increase in this violent content on your website, all of which violates our terms. It’s clear that Parler does not have an effective process to comply with the AWS terms of service. It also seems that Parler is still trying to determine its position on content moderation. You remove some violent content when contacted by us or others, but not always with urgency. Your CEO recently stated publicly that he doesn’t “feel responsible for any of this, and neither should the platform.” This morning, you shared that you have a plan to more proactively moderate violent content, but plan to do so manually with volunteers. It’s our view that this nascent plan to use volunteers to promptly identify and remove dangerous content will not work in light of the rapidly growing number of violent posts. This is further demonstrated by the fact that you still have not taken down much of the content that we’ve sent you. Given the unfortunate events that transpired this past week in Washington, D.C., there is serious risk that this type of content will further incite violence.

AWS provides technology and services to customers across the political spectrum, and we continue to respect Parler’s right to determine for itself what content it will allow on its site. However, we cannot provide services to a customer that is unable to effectively identify and remove content that encourages or incites violence against others. Because Parler cannot comply with our terms of service and poses a very real risk to public safety, we plan to suspend Parler’s account effective Sunday, January 10th, at 11:59PM PST. We will ensure that all of your data is preserved for you to migrate to your own servers, and will work with you as best as we can to help your migration.

- AWS Trust & Safety Team

12 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

It's really unlikely that it was coordinated amongst the big tech companies. It was lemming effect where one of them did it then the rest of them realized that if they didn't follow suit, they'd get canceled.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's really unlikely that it was coordinated amongst the big tech companies. It was lemming effect where one of them did it then the rest of them realized that if they didn't follow suit, they'd get canceled.

I agree with this. They've all had perfectly good excuses to do this shit for months, even years, but not doing it was profitable and until something really bad happened nobody was going to be first to do it. They knew the Capitol attack was being planned on their platforms and did nothing because the public outcry wasn't there yet to demand that they do so. After the Capitol, they're not about to risk something similar again now that we're all furious with them.

Big tech is bad and needs to be broken up and regulated, but them shutting down users and platforms that were almost exclusively being used to plan very specific criminal acts is not why they're bad. The fact that they enabled (and often specifically promoted) the epic flood of disinformation that has driven at least a full third of our country insane is why they're bad. 

• Hook 'Em 2