Parler = Trumpkin Facebook....?

Aqua Buddha

And from the Reddit thread on this:

The thing that makes Parler so much worse isn't the spaghetti code or utter lack of netsec, it's the addon of verification by personal IDs. I'd bet a kidney that we're about to see a massive amount of related identity fraud that includes sale of firearms (and the like) ahead of these guys convictions. Shockingly, the terrorists may be the least dangerous part of the insurrection, but rather sale of illicit goods through stolen info while the idiots sit in jail leads to bigger problems.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

5 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

Is there a place where this data is searchable, a la Wikileaks or something? I’d like to get some new potato chip casserole recipes.

Not yet.  But it will be.  With that much raw data, it's just a giant jigsaw puzzle now.  But with all the crowdsourcing going on, it will get put together.

Other than obtaining some information on people looking to make illegal transactions, what's the big deal here?  I want to be excited about it, but it's just gonna reveal that a bunch of easily fooled people I know like to post shit about how awesome Trump is online.  Not the overwhelming 'ballgame' it sounds like. 

Tens of millions of Americans fall for dumb shit online, news at 11?  What am I missing here? 

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Other than obtaining some information on people looking to make illegal transactions, what's the big deal here?  I want to be excited about it, but it's just gonna reveal that a bunch of easily fooled people I know like to post shit about how awesome Trump is online.  Not the overwhelming 'ballgame' it sounds like. 

Tens of millions of Americans fall for dumb shit online, news at 11?  What am I missing here? 

Let's say you are, oh, I don't know, Louie Gohmert.  Just as a thought exercise.

And you, via a DM, sent shit to other Parler users that honestly, not only should not have even been said, but you put it in writing.

And now, that DM is potentially going to be public info.

That's the potential here.  Doesn't mean that Louie Gohmert did stupid shit online thinking it was private.  

But at the very least, for all those easily fooled people....who just happened to provide their SSN and copies of their driver's licenses so they could be a cool kid with a blue check mark beside their name....well, that's public info now, too.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

Help me out....
Is the Bakery analogy a good one to point out the hypocrisy of people upset about the removal of Parler?

"the same people who think it's ok for a bakery to refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay wedding are upset about the removal of Parler from app stores and web hosting services?"

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Uh. So apparently  Parler got hacked last night as it was going down and everything has been downloaded, including location data, deleted posts and possibly PII. Also, “verified citizens” gave Parler a front and back of their driver’s licenses.

HOLY SHIT

threads to read:

One of the people  who claim to have done it:

and...

Confirmed by Gizmodo

hah that's a pretty cool attack vector - just package a docker image that anyone can run if they want to contribute CPU cycles. What a fucking amateur hour security posture lol, they couldn't even build their identity service properly

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TeeDubya said:

Help me out....
Is the Bakery analogy a good one to point out the hypocrisy of people upset about the removal of Parler?

"the same people who think it's ok for a bakery to refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay wedding are upset about the removal of Parler from app stores and web hosting services?"

Trump is a gay wedding cake.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I think their biggest issue is now going to be finding an ISP link to the internet. Basically every trunk is owned by one of 10 companies if they all say no then it doesn't matter what hardware you have, you can't send it out of your network. 

TFW the right now believes in net neutrality and title 2 regulation as a common service 

14 minutes ago, TeeDubya said:

Help me out....

Kinda. A good way to think of it is this: Current conservative ideology would grant you the freedom to discriminate against someone for their sexual orientation, but not for political expression including sedition.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, immamac said:

I doubt it would take more than 10 racks of servers to run all of parler. What a bunch of dumbfucks, unsurprising that their tech stack and architecture was completely trash. 

Countdown to Parler CEO private message concerning exciting consulting opportunity in 3, 2, 1...

• Like 1

Sorry I'm slow about this. Did Parler require a copy of an ID to have an account, and a picture of the ID has been captured by a hack along with everything that person has posted?  Scary stuff.  for them.

If someone has that, it doesn't take much to extract zip code and address from the images to build a map of the users and a link of everything they typed.

On an unrelated note, did we give Surly a copy of our ID, I can't recall....

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sorry I'm slow about this. Did Parler require a copy of an ID to have an account, and a picture of the ID has been captured by a hack along with everything that person has posted?  Scary stuff.  for them.

If someone has that, it doesn't take much to extract zip code and address from the images to build a map of the users and a link of everything they typed.

drivers license and/or SSN. And yup those images were downloaded, including any other metadata in the image like type of phone/camera used, lat/long coordinates, phone operating system, etc, etc.

There's a shitload of people who were uploading pictures to parler while they were storming the capitol and committing violent insurrection. And now there's a massive 70TB tranche of evidence complete with identity verification sitting out there for the feds. And identity theives.

It's been fun dropping a comment on a bunch of "I'm leaving FB for PARLER" posts just to let them know they should probably freeze their credit if they verified their identity

Right now, there's an army of busses driving around Mumbai rounding up anybody with a pulse, "Get in bitches, big data dump from America's Parler...we got a lot of extended vehicle warranties to sell."  

Just now, Goredho said:

I would be surprised if Amazon didn’t preserve the RDS  backups in case they are ever subpoenaed.

IIRC they said they were running on ec2 instances, and even if amazon did intentionally retain the backups (or instance/ebs snapshots in this case) presumably they'd still be encrypted with a customer owned private key.

Although shit at this point, it would be fucking hilarious if they weren't even using encrypted EBS volumes. That would be a chef's kiss of shitty opsec

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Only if you wanted to be a "verified" user with a cool blue checkmark beside your name.    And yes, you had to submit a copy of both the front/back of your DL and/or your SSN to be verified.  And yes, all of that info has been obtained.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

IIRC they said they were running on ec2 instances, and even if amazon did intentionally retain the backups (or instance/ebs snapshots in this case) presumably they'd still be encrypted with a customer owned private key.

Although shit at this point, it would be fucking hilarious if they weren't even using encrypted EBS volumes. That would be a chef's kiss of shitty opsec

The default for all of Amazon's encryption-at-rest is to use an encryption key generated for you (and presumably held) by Amazon.  I see nothing in their ops space that would indicate they would ever move beyond the default for anything.

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No shit.  These fuckers regularly liquidate to buy Jetskis, or Raptors, or a few new ARs, or a boat parade boat.

That is if they even contribute at all.

Nah, they finance that shit at 29.99% APR with paper owned by the banks that just shut of their Senator's money supply.

28 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's not just the FBI that has all that if the Parler/Russia link was true. More cyber stuff to come from their end too. They can blackmail you, do all sorts of fun stuff.

22 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, I get they had certain needs and were trying to run it lean, and so it's not just some plugins on top of something like WordPress or anything (like many have attempted to do in the past)

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

This is amazing. Outfuckingstanding 

Wait, they were running at least part of it on WordPress with some plugins?

giphy-downsized.gif

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Let's say you are, oh, I don't know, Louie Gohmert.  Just as a thought exercise.

And you, via a DM, sent shit to other Parler users that honestly, not only should not have even been said, but you put it in writing.

And now, that DM is potentially going to be public info.

That's the potential here.  Doesn't mean that Louie Gohmert did stupid shit online thinking it was private.  

But at the very least, for all those easily fooled people....who just happened to provide their SSN and copies of their driver's licenses so they could be a cool kid with a blue check mark beside their name....well, that's public info now, too.  

Yea, I think the 3 big takeaways I gathered from that are:

1) Parler didn’t delete anything users thought was deleted. It just tagged the data as deleted do it was no longer visible. It also captured raw data, so metadata info (what device, what location, what sensors used, etc) for all their uploads, so it’s a great evidence trail for the law to beat you over the head with.

2) lol dat security tho

3) Because Parler chose to use SSNs and state ID photos, they ensured that the posters of illegal or embarrassing content conveniently provided non repudiation.  

Kind of a creepy look for a website sworn to bring down teenage sex trafficking rings to ask women for proof that they are 16 or 17 years of age.  

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

Why did Parler require that info?  Just to have it?

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:CiZcvv7lIQAJ:https://support.parler.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047709851-Why-do-you-need-a-license-passport-when-I-get-verified-+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

"Our verification system ensures that you are a real person interacting with other real verified people on Parler and allows for quality exchanges of ideas without interference from bots and spammers. "

Their site may be down but google caches are still up baybeee

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Why did Parler require that info?  Just to have it?

I think it was their haste to provide like services for Twitter. To get a blue check on Twitter you have to submit a phone number, email, and I think address, and then submit it for Twitter to review. To accelerate that and I’m sure to overcome their limited staffing, they used official gov’t ID.  It’s not horrible on its face, but it should never have happened without robust security and data handling protocols.  As expected, this is becoming the definition of “you want it bad, you get it bad.”  

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Only if you wanted to be a "verified" user with a cool blue checkmark beside your name.    And yes, you had to submit a copy of both the front/back of your DL and/or your SSN to be verified.  And yes, all of that info has been obtained.

I recall reading the privacy policy or whatever when it was posted, and it claimed that after they verified your identity they would delete the documents used to ID you (SS card, DL).  I guess they lied?  Hmmm. 

11 minutes ago, G650 said:

I have to say, in a time of profound sadness, watching how insanely stupid these people are is a much needed small joy.

There is a LOT of discussion on TexAgs about Texas secession.  It is the most preposterous notion imaginable, and most don't consider that College Station and other rural "white" Texas communities are not what makes up the bulk of Texas.  But it is fun to read. 

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3174992

18 hours ago, immamac said:

I doubt it would take more than 10 racks of servers to run all of parler. What a bunch of dumbfucks, unsurprising that their tech stack and architecture was completely trash. 

13 hours ago, Celery Man said:

tech twitter shitting on parler

i'm not really a super technical guy and I haven't done a ton of... social network architecting but the relational data store for this purpose seems fucking stupid

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Lol. 70TB. Pathetic. 

3 hours ago, immamac said:

https://youtu.be/fbipJUJLzpE

1PB is 1000TB or close to 14 parlers.

These people are incompetent. I revise my estimate to probably 2 racks of servers to handle all of parler 4 with redundancy. 

I think their biggest issue is now going to be finding an ISP link to the internet. Basically every trunk is owned by one of 10 companies if they all say no then it doesn't matter what hardware you have, you can't send it out of your network. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wait, they were running at least part of it on WordPress with some plugins?

giphy-downsized.gif

When the news first broke, my initial thought was gimme a $1m budget for hardware and 5-6 smart engineers, and I could have it up and running in 48 hours.

Now, I'm thinking, cobble together my spare parts, buy me a 12 pack and I can do it overnight. Maybe I need some help from my 14 year old nephew.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1