Parler = Trumpkin Facebook....?

Aqua Buddha

The 3 biggest trump fans on my Facebook feed all depend somewhat on selling directly to the public: insurance agent, real estate broker and Mary Kay rep. Either they’ve all jumped to Parler or their industry has advised them to all calm down on social media when you are alienating at least 55% of the public. In some ways, I miss seeing their lunacy. 

Pour one out for Voat.  One less far-right haven in the world today.

https://gizmodo.com/far-right-reddit-clone-voat-has-shut-down-for-real-thi-1845951789

Voat, the abhorrent Reddit clone that became a home for toxic communities and conspiracy theories like QAnon, has shut down. Although the site has claimed to be closing before, this time it appears to be legit. When you type in its address in your browser, you are not able to access the site, and instead see this message: “Voat was sacrificed on December 25th, 2020 at 12 noon PST.” 

Let’s be clear, “sacrifice” is not the word I would use to describe what happened here, which is no doubt better for the internet at large. Basically, Voat just ran out of money, and could not find anyone else willing to finance the hateful rhetoric on its site. Voat co-founder Justin Chastain, who goes by the username PuttItOut, announced as much in a strange and extremely creepy post earlier this week.

It seems that the problems began when Voat lost the investor support that had previously helped keep it afloat earlier this year. Per Chastain, the investor pulled their funding, which apparently made up all of the site’s funding, in March. Chastain said that he consequently decided to use his own money to keep the site up until after this year’s presidential election and is now “out of money.”

“Instead of feeling pity or vengeful, I’m instead going to celebrate the fact that Voat stayed up for so long,” Chastain wrote in his post announcing the closure. “In my opinion, Voat is and will always be the biggest dysfunctional family on the internet. Voat users were much more intimate with each other than other sites (chances are you have a handful of enemies and a handful of friends that you can list by name at a moment’s notice). Voat always had a better community dynamic than any other site on the internet.”

Voat was founded in 2014 as a Reddit knockoff focused on “free speech,” but was in fact a refuge for toxic and hateful communities that couldn’t exist on Reddit, including v/FatPeopleHate and the anti-Black v/CoonTown. And if that weren’t enough to repulse you, it also featured groups like TransPeopleHate, TeenGirls, YoungLadies, and StunningJailbait. Add in QAnon, which let us remember has inspired its followers to commit real-world crimes such askidnapping and murder, and you’ve got a real piece of work.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

So in-law that is Qanon actually texted me that Voat was closing down earlier today, because no banks would lend money to the owner, as if it was a conspiracy.

I started to explain to her that it's not that they wouldn't lend money to him on any kind of principal, it's that If you are an active internet site with a very captive audience that likes to buy all kinds of stupid shit, but they don't trust most internet retailers like Amazon, and you can't keep the site profitable, nobody is going to loan/invest in your venture.

This isn't some kind of hot new Web 7.0 property, it's a bunch of refugees from reddit that are going down rabbit holes and scared of 5G.

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So in-law that is Qanon actually texted me that Voat was closing down earlier today, because no banks would lend money to the owner, as if it was a conspiracy.

I started to explain to her that it's not that they wouldn't lend money to him on any kind of principal, it's that If you are an active internet site with a very captive audience that likes to buy all kinds of stupid shit, but they don't trust most internet retailers like Amazon, and you can't keep the site profitable, nobody is going to loan/invest in your venture.

This isn't some kind of hot new Web 7.0 property, it's a bunch of refugees from reddit that are going down rabbit holes and scared of 5G.

I'm assuming there was no response?

On 12/14/2020 at 5:49 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Wait, you don't have to get naked, throw open the door and say "Hi, are you here for the meeting?, No, you're not?  Well we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and we'd like to talk to you about our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, do you have a few minutes?  Would you like to come in?  You can even leave most of your clothes on!"

Unfortunately, more times than I'd care to recall, they actually do want to come in and talk, and they are willing to shed some clothing, and so now I know more about the Mormons than I care to, but it's good to keep up the charade, as you occasionally get somebody who is attractive, and things become fun.

Happens more than you think.  Hence the Mormon underwear.

I am always mystified that posts like this do not include, “...So I finally laughed at her and told her she was a gullible dumb-ass that should be ashamed of herself....and to try to remember to use her maiden name when around non-family, to avoid embarrassing us.“
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck, don't do it Apple. Give them a safe space to blatantly pre-meditate and record all of their impending crimes, and keep them the fuck away from us. Yesterday was the 3rd "mass exodus" of MAGA from Facebook and Twitter since election day. Let them go.

Trump wants to roll out his own social media platform..   

Buying Parler would be bad business at this point.

And I have to think he's had people looking at this for years - how the hell has he not wanted to own the platform and control all of the ad revenue.  Hell, Jack is worth $5 billion.