Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What I love is how so e things are like clockwork. For example, all the “conservatives” who have been fine with big spending, particular on war, suddenly become very concerned about spending as soon as their Godking leaves.

It’s funny. I’m amused.

I don't know about "fine with big spending" as much as it is, like anything else in this world, "fine with spending on things that have a direct or outcome on those who are spending". And you know what? There probably is a fantastic ROI and business case for a couple of things that the Dems want to invest a ton of money on. But there is no effort or energy into building out the business value and outcome with what sort of ROI one can expect, so people just assume the worst.

And with government(s), you generally can't go wrong with assuming the worst, historically speaking.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

32 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Funny how effective every single media outlet hating you is in terms of public approval

The Democrats do not have an outright propaganda network like the Republicans do.

I think this is directly related to the phenomenon of "voting against" someone versus "voting for" someone.

Biden was a candidate and winner because people coalesced around him in order to vote against Trump and vote him away. He doesn't have many raving fans or a lot of rabid, organic and true diehard champions-- just a coalition of pragmatic people who saw the resourcefulness and usefulness of a centrist who had name brand and awareness. I'm sure there was a small minority of people who were in love with Biden as a candidate, but most voted as utilitarians. 

Trump, for all his flaws and whether you love him or hate him, he had a fanbase who politically worship him and his autistic cult of personality. There were people who voted for Trump as utilitarians as well (hold your nose voters), but for the most part, if you voted for him you probably loved the guy.

I think that is the difference in why the propaganda was strong with the blindly loyal Trumpers versus the Biden voters who actually wanted Bernie or someone else (but was not a political possibility at the time).

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I think this is directly related to the phenomenon of "voting against" someone versus "voting for" someone.

Biden was a candidate and winner because people coalesced around him in order to vote against Trump and vote him away. He doesn't have many raving fans or a lot of rabid, organic and true diehard champions-- just a coalition of pragmatic people who saw the resourcefulness and usefulness of a centrist who had name brand and awareness. I'm sure there was a small minority of people who were in love with Biden as a candidate, but most voted as utilitarians. 

Trump, for all his flaws and whether you love him or hate him, he had a fanbase who politically worship him and his autistic cult of personality. There were people who voted for Trump as utilitarians as well (hold your nose voters), but for the most part, if you voted for him you probably loved the guy.

I think that is the difference in why the propaganda was strong with the blindly loyal Trumpers versus the Biden voters who actually wanted Bernie or someone else (but was not a political possibility at the time).

I 100% agree with this post. It also shows everything wrong with this country and how fucking stupid a huge portion of it is. This isn’t necessarily new, but the apparatus of social media (and cable news as well) has put us in a place where people who used to be too unaware/stupid to care are now voting and fucking all of us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/19/2021 at 10:23 AM, aggie08 said:

Staying the fuck away from politics. Hard to make a compelling argument that intelligent, successful people with options should dip their toes in politics. There are for more rewarding avenues for civic service for those with means.

Can you give some examples of those avenues?    Part of the problem is our definition of success has been pivoted from how much good you can do to how much you can own or control.   John Lewis vs Kelly Loeffler.  Barbara Jordan vs Ted Cruz. 

Our whole society is driven to have things just a little better than everyone else.  A nicer ride, a hotter sugar baby, a $20,000 purse.  And social media has exacerbated that by daily moving the goalposts.  

Unfortunately we have a lot of politicians, and few statesmen.  And those few statesmen are constantly harangued by the politicians.  And the media eats it up, because it's attention grabbing.  And people eat it up, because it supports their selfishness over others. And the church doesn't help, because too many of those are in on the grift now as well.  

TL;DR:  We need intelligent successful people to help us out of this mess.   We need Robert Reich, AOC types and we get MTG and Klannie Oakley.  

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Funny how effective every single media outlet hating you is in terms of public approval

The Democrats do not have an outright propaganda network like the Republicans do.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

So, is your thesis that if the media just wouldn't cover what's going on then his approval ratings would be great?  That is an interesting point. 

And you're correct that Dems don't have a propaganda network.  They have multiple.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Fuck You 2

14 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I don't know about "fine with big spending" as much as it is, like anything else in this world, "fine with spending on things that have a direct or outcome on those who are spending". And you know what? There probably is a fantastic ROI and business case for a couple of things that the Dems want to invest a ton of money on. But there is no effort or energy into building out the business value and outcome with what sort of ROI one can expect, so people just assume the worst.

And with government(s), you generally can't go wrong with assuming the worst, historically speaking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

FEMA trailers after Katrina

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

And you're correct that Dems don't have a propaganda network.  They have multiple.

Thank you for helping me understand how not having a father in one’s life,  growing up, can be a desirable difficulty. I mean, dyslexia demands sufferers develop coping, and problem solving, strategies. Therefore a desirable difficulty.

Babysdaddy being absent, in some cases, means less mental scarring and  avoidance of intellectual astigmatism. 

I never got that until your post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

He is basically pointing out the obvious. Deficit Hawks go silent once the Republicans are the ones writing the checks and this occurs under Republican leadership that inject steroids into the deficit such as W and Trump. Basically they are fine with big spending as long as they are the ones spending.

Shit, even George Will called out the hypocrisy last year.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

MSNBC, CNN, and NPR might lean left, but they aren't really propaganda in the way Fox is.  The comparisons are undeserved.  MSNBC and CNN can be biased, sensationalist, and lazy, but their obvious goals aren't to lie and hide the truth in order to defend Democrats and attack the GOP at all costs for their chosen party's political gain.  Not the way Fox, Newsmax, OANN, and the AM talk radio outlets operate for the GOP.  I've never seen any MSNBC or CNN on-camera personalities on stage at a Biden rally campaigning for him the way Sean Hannity has for Trump.

NPR is pretty responsible straight down the middle boring journalism the overwhelming majority of the time.  I wouldn't put them in the same category as MSNBC or CNN either.

Agree with all of that.  The point I was trying to make there is that the media is roughly split to the right and the left.  The idea, created and perpetuated by Fox News, that the majority of the media is liberal is horseshit.

And I've said before that left wing media is guilty of selective coverage, bias, and spin.  Right wing media is guilty of all of that and also of selling an entirely fictional narrative, which, among other things, lures people into an echo chamber and over time tricks them into believing in an America that doesn't actually exist.  Their goal is to get people upset by any means necessary, including made-up ones.  There's no question which is worse or more damaging.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 3

I think where NPR veers left is in their support and coverage of "progressive" issues, like (horrors) climate change, the racial divide in America, etc.

Trump's base might see those topics as ephemeral fluff, but that doesn't make it so.  The right has weaponized any and all issues as "us VS them", so regardless of fact, they will tactically negate any "progressive" viewpoint.

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

NPR is pretty responsible straight down the middle boring journalism the overwhelming majority of the time.  I wouldn't put them in the same category as MSNBC or CNN either.

Exactly. NPR is only viewed as biased by conservatives because reality has a liberal bias.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Exactly. NPR is only viewed as biased by conservatives because reality has a liberal bias.

“all things considered” is great stuff and consistent and as you stated.

the weekend and morning editions is full on liberal/progressive agenda and a barely above basically trump jokes.

I guess there is a different demographic or something, but it’s like two different radio stations.

no matter what I’ll always be an NPR fan because tiny desk concerts are awesome.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

7 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Plus several of their announcers talk with soft voices, or use the kinds of words you find in books that don't have pictures.

I never understood how that affectation became code switch for “I’m a mousy and unattractive woman but smart and thoughtful and that’s my pivot to try and make hay in this hard life where I was born with little to work with”. Anna Gastomeyer knocked it out of the park with the Schwetty Balls skit though.

• Drool 1

All Things Considered has slipped a long way in my judgment over the last 20 years. They emote way too much. Their stories are so often sad narratives of some individual impacted by whatever the story is. It's the natural, syruppy result of we're going to put a human face on this tragedy so you can feel their pain.

If the story is a famine in We'refuckingpooristan, I'm not particularly enlighted by their template:

Sound of baby crying, people speaking non-English language. Mabye some coughing.

"We're in the hovel of Hanna Sadislas." The voice modulates in extreme sympathy. "It's been three days with only a few ounces of rice to feed her family."

"Akmandagbab." Brave voice of Hann. "Notengoarrrozabada...."

"She's telling us that she hasn't had much rice for three days." Crying baby. Empty pans rattling. "She doesn't know why, but she knows...her kids...are hungry."

"Thanks for the story. Really grim situation there. Stay safe!"

Over and over and over. The liberal part of it is sort of revelling in victimology. There's a place for the story but not every goddamn story they do. Be impassive. Report important information. You're not supposed to  be fucking actors!

spacer.png

I used to listen just about everyday. Not for a long time.

Maybe I should go take a lay down with my favorite blanky.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Man, the media is so left-wing biased, they've been giving Biden a pass for Afghanistan, calling him a great, decisive lead....

Oh wait, no, they've been beating him over the head with sensationalist reporting, screaming about all the Americans he is leaving behind to die and parroting GOP talking points about abandoning Afghanistan/forever war.  And now suddenly realizing they were wrong in their reporting - 70k evacuations in 10 days with no dead American citizens. 

This.  I was listening to CNN in the car earlier this week and the host and the guest were eviscerating Biden and his administration over their handling of our exit from Afghanistan.  They were making a lot of good points and I couldn't help but think, damn, FoxNews would never have talked about Trump like this.  He could have pulled his pants down and shit all over himself during the SOTU address and they wouldn't have said anything near as harsh about Trump as CNN was laying into Biden over Afghanistan.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

He could have pulled his pants down and shit all over himself during the SOTU address and they wouldn't have said anything near as harsh about Trump as CNN was laying into Biden over Afghanistan.

Did you see the look on Pelosi's face when she smelled it? OMG what a snowflake! Did you see how all the Republicans stood up and clapped while the Democrat Party just sat quietly in their chairs? And they say they want bi-partisanship! They're supposed to be so tolerant!

Typical libs: hypocrites! Trump whups 'em agin!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I never understood how that affectation became code switch for “I’m a mousy and unattractive woman but smart and thoughtful and that’s my pivot to try and make hay in this hard life where I was born with little to work with”. Anna Gastomeyer knocked it out of the park with the Schwetty Balls skit though.

Eh, the good part is you can leave it on in the background while working without it being distracting. Try doing that with AM Talk Radio where they feel the need to yell about Obama's last name beginning with a vowel.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

All Things Considered has slipped a long way in my judgment over the last 20 years. They emote way too much. Their stories are so often sad narratives of some individual impacted by whatever the story is. It's the natural, syruppy result of we're going to put a human face on this tragedy so you can feel their pain.

If the story is a famine in We'refuckingpooristan, I'm not particularly enlighted by their template:

Sound of baby crying, people speaking non-English language. Mabye some coughing.

"We're in the hovel of Hanna Sadislas." The voice modulates in extreme sympathy. "It's been three days with only a few ounces of rice to feed her family."

"She's telling us that she hasn't had much rice for three days." Crying baby. Empty pans rattling. "She doesn't know why, but she knows...her kids...are hungry."

Over and over and over. The liberal part of it is sort of revelling in victimology. There's a place for the story but not every goddamn story they do. Be impassive. Report important information. You're not supposed to  be fucking actors!

spacer.png

Okay this was truly laugh out loud funny. I lived it; I was there. Bwaha.

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Anyone who says NPR News is left leaning is an absolute, certifiable, Grade A fucking moron.

Anyone who has ever heard them interview a Republican, report on Republicans, or entertain Republican talking points knows they are painfully neutral and very much go out of the way to be neutral. They may matter of factly state, for example, that there is no documented evidence for voter fraud when doing a segment on elections bills, but that’s not liberal editorializing - it’s simply a fact. That’s pretty much exclusively what they deal in. That Republicans try to cast them as liberal propaganda is incredibly damning in that it’s a blatant attempt to construct an alternative fact reality. It appears to have worked on our friend here.

Yes, many of the human interest segments/shows aired on various local public radio stations across the country skew towards crunchy granola shit because that’s the audience. But NPR news is not a left leaning organization and it’s absolutely fucking laughable to assert that their news coverage has an editorial slant.

to reinforce your point: what's considered left here is considered centrist in most other countries that call themselves democratic

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 8/18/2021 at 11:02 PM, Incredulity said:

FIFY

That's for your bitch ass drive by neg in the DT thread.  Seriously?  You negged a news post with zero commentary?  Fuck off.  I wish we still had comments for feedback, @immamac

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

I came back here to read this again. Truly one of the best posts I’ve ever read.

• Like 1

Anyone who says NPR News is left leaning is an absolute, certifiable, Grade A fucking moron.

Anyone who has ever heard them interview a Republican, report on Republicans, or entertain Republican talking points knows they are painfully neutral and very much go out of the way to be neutral. They may matter of factly state, for example, that there is no documented evidence for voter fraud when doing a segment on elections bills, but that’s not liberal editorializing - it’s simply a fact. That’s pretty much exclusively what they deal in. That Republicans try to cast them as liberal propaganda is incredibly damning in that it’s a blatant attempt to construct an alternative fact reality. It appears to have worked on our friend here.

Yes, many of the human interest segments/shows aired on various local public radio stations across the country skew towards crunchy granola shit because that’s the audience. But NPR news is not a left leaning organization and it’s absolutely fucking laughable to assert that their news coverage has an editorial slant.

My favorite CR posts start with “anyone who disagrees with me is a moron”.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

So, is your thesis that if the media just wouldn't cover what's going on then his approval ratings would be great?  That is an interesting point. 

If a media outlet only talked about things that looked good for him yes, it would help his approval ratings.

How is this difficult to understand?

If that were the case, CNN and MSNBC wouldn't have been spending the last 2 weeks fear-mongering about Biden's ending of the Afghan war. They would be promoting it as wonderful, because that's what propaganda networks do.

CNN and MSNBC are full of liberals, but they are not an apparatus of the Democratic Party like FOX is an apparatus of the GOP. I'm not saying they're good, just pointing out a very very obvious difference.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Fox News is complete propaganda and anyone who argues otherwise is an idiot. It wasn’t always that way but it clearly is now.

The so called MSM is giving Biden a whole raft of shit because the corporate war machine is pissed at him and is trying to give him and others a lesson in what happens when you don’t do what they want. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My favorite CR posts start with “anyone who disagrees with me is a moron”.

I like the “But why male models?” type posts when someone chooses not to acknowledge or understand a post.

It’s like, “Are you serious? He just told you why they’re morons.”
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

If that were the case, CNN and MSNBC wouldn't have been spending the last 2 weeks fear-mongering about Biden's ending of the Afghan war.

All you have to do is look at who they bring in as expert commentators to understand why American mass media is pro war industry. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

All you have to do is look at who they bring in as expert commentators to understand why American mass media is pro war industry. 

They should just bring on GWB, Cheney, Condi and the rest of the Bush admin foreign policy team from 2001 (RIP, Rumsfeld) to give their takes on Afghanistan at this point.  It's fucking tiresome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They should just bring on GWB, Cheney, Condi and the rest of the Bush admin foreign policy team from 2001 (RIP, Rumsfeld) to give their takes on Afghanistan at this point.  It's fucking tiresome. 

The endless panel shows on CNN make for a particularly thorough beating for anyone strong enough to sit through more than one. 

Go. Find. Some. News.

Or take the middle N out of your name. Hmmm. Cable Opinion Network would be CON. Selling themselves as a news network that attributes most of its stories to print media when not covering something live is something of a con.

I strongly dislike the lazy habit on CNN and MSNBC to show the same three short clips over and over while filling air time with hot air. Just show the people talking if you're too lazy to get more extensive video or create an illuminating visual.

That's it. I'm applying for Editor-in-Chief of all news stations. I'll be the News Czar. I'll work out of AOC's office to fulfill the prophecies of the insane, quasi-religious right.

On nice days, I'll work outside.

spacer.png