The Last Truly Enjoyable Moment as a Texas Longhorns Football Fan

Surly Bevo

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yeah, uh, im guessing none of yall enjoyed Dicker beating OU

uh huh....

Close.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=282850201

2008 Texas ousux game was the last time I felt we had the BEST football program.  It was the last BIG TIME enjoyable football moment for me.  It was the first time in my life I witnessed Texas earning the #1 spot in a regular season game.  #5 beats #1--on the field in our most important rivalry game.  Chris O was a grown ass man that day.  Coach BOOM fired up the defense.  After stuffing myself with 5 corn dogs and 12+ beers, I realized we were finally undisputed #1. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Earl Haffler said:

the. day. before this:

That's a misleading title to that video. I assumed the controversy they were referring to was OU punter Mike Winchester's knee being down when he fielded a snap which the refs didn't call ...link should be embedded to the play but if not go to 42:40 

the punt was a touchback which then lead the infamous sweep right and slip and fall by Nelson on 4th down. 

15 year old DT was furious at that sequence

2009 was such a weird season. I still made it back for one game a season back then and we were at the season opener. 59-20 over ULM and yet even in that game, you could sense something was sort of "off" with that team. 

You'd think you'd look back on an unbeaten regular season and it would be filled with "that was awesome" moments, but it was just a joyless nailbiting slog. 

3 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Close.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=282850201

2008 Texas ousux game was the last time I felt we had the BEST football program.  It was the last BIG TIME enjoyable football moment for me.  It was the first time in my life I witnessed Texas earning the #1 spot in a regular season game.  #5 beats #1--on the field in our most important rivalry game.  Chris O was a grown ass man that day.  Coach BOOM fired up the defense.  After stuffing myself with 5 corn dogs and 12+ beers, I realized we were finally undisputed #1. 

So the 2009 national championship was not a big time game to you? Riiiight.

Watched the last A&M game in a small ex-pat bar in Argentina. Somehow when we won a group of people from Austin appeared and we exchanged hugs and high fives- save for the Argentine guys who were trying to fuck the girls of the group. 

I will never forget it.

-and I never want to play aggy again 

Edited by Doc Reeves

Jesus, some of you are like abused trailer park wives. 

The Sugar Bowl win over Georgia to cap off our first 10-win season since 2009 wasn't truly enjoyable for some of you????  The beatdown over USC and the win over OU in the Cotton Bowl earlier in that season weren't truly enjoyable??? 

Sure, those wins were in the middle of a Tom Herman tenure that has turned out disappointing.  But with the Longhorns win over aggy in 2011, we found a way to bask in an important victory amidst the Mack Brown FYPM years. 

Don't be such vaginas.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Honorable mention: when Bevo tried to gore Uga.
Yeah, I admit to enjoying the fuck out of the Sugar Bowl from beginning to end.

That was probably the last truly enjoyable moment, beating the Ewok in Dallas was cool, but we almost let them come back in that one, then got our shit pushed in for the CCG.

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

I throughly enjoyed beating Utah’s ass too.

Yeah that was cool. Herman has a way of going into the offseason looking like things are going our way and getting everybody hyped up...then just more of the same shit during the regular season. If only we could hypnotize him into thinking every game is a bowl game.

"Welcome to the Pork Bowl! Texas vs. Arkansas live from Fayettenam!"

I think what the OP meant to say, was "enjoyable AND meaningful".

Enjoyable games have been there on occasion. The problem has been following them with good play that made those moments relevant in the Big 12 or nationally, which of course hasn't happened.

Edited by LonghornSean

For “not being our rival”, a lot of you act like A&M is a pretty huge rival. 

2013 & 2015 OU. It’s always enjoyable giving the Sooners a WTF loss.

2016 was a shitty year. Doesn’t change the fact that the ND game was fun to watch. Still the only UT game in recent memory that I remember non- college football fans talking about the next day. I know it was the only game on that night but still. 

2018 USC. Fuck the Trojans. 

2018 OU. Slugfest, awesome to watch. 

2018 Sugar Bowl. Thoroughly enjoyable beatdown. Georgia can play the “didn’t want to be there” card all they want, I don’t buy it. They were simply outplayed. If you want to see what a team that “didn’t want to be there” actually looks like, see Utah in Alamo bowl against us last year.

Enjoyable games up until the end: 2015 Cal, 2017 USC, 2018 WVU, 2019 LSU.

• Hook 'Em 2

Any time we beat OU is truly enjoyable and we haven't done it very much the past decade. 2013 was great because we were terrible. Same with 2015. 2018 was great because it was one we also should've lost. Sugar Bowl was great too. I'm not going to hang my hat on beating a mediocre aggy in 2011 as the high point of the last decade. 

Edit: post above reminded me of Notre Dame in 2016 and USC in 2018. Both of those were great as we beat nationally known programs. 

Edited by mdmost

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

For “not being our rival”, a lot of you act like A&M is a pretty huge rival. 

The only reason that game is even talked about is because Aggy was leaving the Big 12. Otherwise, it would have been just another game. Much more enjoyable wins after that one. The 2018 win over OU was infinitely more memorable than that game. Same goes for the Sugar Bowl over Georgia. Even the 2016 win over Notre Dame was much better. I feel sorry for anyone has not truly enjoyed a game for UT since then.

• Hook 'Em 2