Celebrity Death Pool - 2021

Wally Fairway

21 hours ago, Hate said:

It's really difficult for me to be saddened when anyone with a face tattoo shuffles off of the Earth. 

While most of his music isn’t my jam, I was pretty shocked to learn he’s very well rounded musically. Did a pretty bad ass Nirvana tribute a few years ago, and some interesting country covers.  

On 8/10/2021 at 8:48 PM, fattyflattie said:

While most of his music isn’t my jam, I was pretty shocked to learn he’s very well rounded musically. Did a pretty bad ass Nirvana tribute a few years ago, and some interesting country covers.  

Yeah all that and he's a Grapevine Mustang, Dallas area kid and big Horn fan.  Well I made the last part up, but I he probably is

Damn....Nanci Griffith, dead at 68.  https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-music-arts-and-entertainment-bette-midler-lyle-lovett-0e3872fda36e62b25eca2ebfca9068c7

newFile-2.jpg?width=982&height=726&auto=

I'm not ashamed to admit that every now and then, I've gotten a bit whiskey drunk and had Nanci in the listening rotation, and when "Love at the Five and Dime" comes on, I find myself singing a bit of harmony along with it, and maybe dropping a tear or two.

Verses before lay out the hardship, bad choices, and pain that life entails.  And then they end with this, a tale of life together at the bittersweet end, with all the roads behind them and side-by-side on whatever road is left in front:

Eddie played in the barroom band
'Til arthritis took his hands
Now he sells insurance on the side

And Rita's got her house to keep
She sells dime store novels with a love so sweet
And they dance to the radio late at night and still sing

And they'd sing
Dance a little closer to me
Hey, dance a little closer now
Dance a little closer tonight

Gets me every.  Goddamn.  Time.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Shin'ichi "Sonny" Chiba's fighting style was less balletic than it was breathtakingly brutal. 

Chiba, a star of martial arts cinema in his native Japan, made his name by landing heart-stopping punches and stabbing fictional foes in the throats with only his fingers. His relentlessness onscreen inspired action auteurs like director Quentin Tarantinoand actor Keanu Reeves to emulate his style in their own works -- and thrilled viewers when they weren't covering their eyes.

Chiba, a ferociously talented martial artist whose international renown grew with films like "The Street Fighter" and "Kill Bill" series, died this week from Covid-19 complications, his representative Timothy Beal confirmed to CNN. Chiba was 82.

• Hook 'Em 1

Don Everly...I worked in this bar in Nashville and he and his posse would roll through in his limo around sundown in a cloud of the finest weed money could buy in 1990...They had some cocktail they'd made up called Big Pinks and they'd slam a few of those and roll on out to the next spot...At the time, especially in a town like Nashville, when you are young, you are kind of blase about these legends you find yourself amid and among. You just kind of think they are dad rock or even grandaddy music. Then somebody not from Nashville tells you how "Important" the Everly Brothers were. "Dude -- no Everly Brothers, no Beatles!" So you are a bit validated and maybe you listen with fresh ears and find out why they were legends. A turning point for me was stumbling into a Desert Island Discs with Lemmy, and one of the albums was this one, all of which pretty much sounds like this, simple songs of family, poverty, and murder -- lots and lots of murders, all sung in the harmonies of angels.

I was not even all that into Motorhead or punk or punk/metal at the time but I was not about to argue with Lemmy's street cred so I picked it up and now it might be one of my DID's too. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Damn, guessing their show in Austin this fall might be off.

They had sent out a notice several weeks ago that Charlie would not come on the upcoming tour due to an illness.  Didn't say it was a terminal illness, although Mick and Ronnie both had videos on Insta or whatever saying they would miss him on the re-started No Filter US tour.  Mick just turned 78 so he's not getting any younger either.

• Hook 'Em 1

There was some article that came out a few years ago that said, essentially, to cheer up when it comes to dead musicians. It's only going to get worse. It's just simple math and the nature of modern day celebrity. We've been exposed to a lot more music than previous generations so there are a lot more of them we know, and the more people you know, the more death you will have to deal with.

• Rage+1 1

There was some article that came out a few years ago that said, essentially, to cheer up when it comes to dead musicians. It's only going to get worse. It's just simple math and the nature of modern day celebrity. We've been exposed to a lot more music than previous generations so there are a lot more of them we know, and the more people you know, the more death you will have to deal with.

Yeah, we grew up on musicians that were older than us and they did a lot of drugs for the most part. Now, we are middle aged and they’re just that much older.