Celebrity Death Pool - 2021

Wally Fairway

Oh, I wonder who will defame the legacy of this great American in the coming days.  Jeez, I'm racking my brain who can possibly fuck up the death of this hero and legend.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

Oh, I wonder who will defame the legacy of this great American in the coming days.  Jeez, I'm racking my brain who can possibly fuck up the death of this hero and legend.

Bama Chick in the Cloak Room already beat them to it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

He may have been partisan to a fault...but he was well liked and respected by folks on the other side.  And nobody, nobody (of any significance) ever questioned Dole's commitment to the United States from military service to his time in the Senate.  He certainly didn't serve to enrich himself.  

People don't remember how close the 1976 Presidential election was.  In another timeline, Ford eeks out a narrow victory and probably doesn't run again in 1980, setting up a Dole/Bush/Reagan primary that sets the GOP and the nation off in a completely different trajectory.  

Anyway, rest easy Colonel.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

He may have been partisan to a fault...but he was well liked and respected by folks on the other side.  And nobody, nobody (of any significance) ever questioned Dole's commitment to the United States from military service to his time in the Senate.  He certainly didn't serve to enrich himself.  

People don't remember how close the 1976 Presidential election was.  In another timeline, Ford eeks out a narrow victory and probably doesn't run again in 1980, setting up a Dole/Bush/Reagan primary that sets the GOP and the nation off in a completely different trajectory.  

Anyway, rest easy Colonel.  

looked up the map for that election. The entire west coast went republican and the  South and Texas went democrat. different days. 

ElectoralCollege1976.svg

Carter won Ohio by just 11,000 votes.  Had Ford taken his neighboring state, it's then 272-265 for Carter.  Wisconsin, to no surprise, was the real tipping point state of the whole election---and it took until 4am the next day to declare that state for Carter and put him over the EC majority.  Ford takes this other neighboring state of his, he wins '76 and 1980 is a completely different story for Reagan and the country.  

Dole's debate in Houston in 1976 with Mondale was not well received after his comments about Democrats running us into wars.  But Dole was correct in that Ford was vulnerable to the the conservative wing of the party, hence Reagan almost beating a sitting President in his own primary in '76.  But a 1980 primary with Dole, Bush, and Reagan would have completely changed the course of our nation's history and the Cold War.  

After the narrow loss, it was Bob Dole who warned the GOP that pandering to the South and its "heritage" would cost them the West Coast and the Northeast.  He forecasted a schism in the party that would eventually occur towards the end of his lifetime; but it was not the moderate wing v. conservative wing that he had seen brewing since that pivotal election in 1976.  

We won't have many more like him in my lifetime, that much I know.  What a Great American we lost this morning.  

RIP, Chancellor Mark.  You walked out of that camp and delivered a man onto our moon.  So glad I got to know you.  I know you won't rest easy, for you've too much to see out there. 

Explore Easy.  Explore Everything.  

56 minutes ago, Lobo said:

RIP, Chancellor Mark.  You walked out of that camp and delivered a man onto our moon.  So glad I got to know you.  I know you won't rest easy, for you've too much to see out there. 

Explore Easy.  Explore Everything.  

Damn, I was a finance major but took him for History of Spaceflight back in the day....hell of a class and hell of an interesting man.

On 12/28/2020 at 9:42 PM, Larry T. Spider said:

Lamar Odom (11/6/1979)

Jerry Sandusky (1/26/1944)

Dick Cheney (1/30/1941)

Ric Flair (2/25/1949)

Charlie Sheen (9/3/1965)

Rush Limbaugh (1/12/1951)

Hulk Hogan (8/11/1953)

Aaron Carter (12/7/1987)

Michael J Fox (6/9/1961)

6ix9ine (5/8/1996)

Only got John Lewis and Trebek from 2020 and I really liked both of them. All of the fucks I hate keep ticking along.

Only got rush. 

On 12/29/2020 at 1:56 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

1. Singer Tom Parker (age 32)

2. Henry Kissinger

3. Ed Asner

4. Rush Limbaugh

5. Johnny Depp

6. Steve Gleason

7. Alan Alda

8. Randy Travis

9. Ron Jeremy

10. William "Refrigerator" Perry

Shooting a smooth .100 from the floor with only an uncontested dunk....At least it was one I enjoyed.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/sarah-weddington-lawyer-in-roe-v-wade-case-dies-at-austin-home/

Sarah Weddington, the attorney who argued the landmark Roe v Wade case in the U.S. Supreme Court that legalized abortion nationally, has died, according to a statement from her family provided to The Texas Tribune by Susan Hays, her friend and mentee.

Weddington taught law courses at UT Law for 28 years. She also taught courses at Texas Women’s University for 19 years.

@Brisketexan @Ghost of LL @TwiceHorn and a bunch of the other Surly law types have probably heard of her, maybe even took classes from her.

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/sarah-weddington-lawyer-in-roe-v-wade-case-dies-at-austin-home/

@Brisketexan @Ghost of LL @TwiceHorn and a bunch of the other Surly law types have probably heard of her, maybe even took classes from her.

To my own amazement, I am a 30 year lawyer now.  So that was mostly after my time. I think she maybe did offer a seminar (very small, paper-oriented course) on some sort of women's issues.

But yeah, I have heard of her.

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

20 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

To my own amazement, I am a 30 year lawyer now.  So that was mostly after my time. I think she maybe did offer a seminar (very small, paper-oriented course) on some sort of women's issues.

But yeah, I have heard of her.

I figured some of you all had taken classes or come across her at UT.   

We seem to have lost quite a few UT professors this year that were famous.

I was in Sarah Weddington's class probably in '91. It must have been an elective because I sure as hell wasn't a law student. She was in the midst of writing a book about her Roe experience, and one of our assignments was actually to proofread/critique a draft of it. I remember really marking it up - lots of typos and just amateurish writing. But she thanked me for being so thorough.

I wish I remembered more of her stories, because the class was Roe-focused even though it had a generic women's studies title (which I also don't remember). I definitely took away her view that Jane Roe was never meant to be the perfect client, and the court's trimester focus was never meant to be read as perfect science...but they were the methods that in the moment could get the votes and get the law on the books.

While I haven't followed her later years, I assume she was smart enough to see what was coming once Obama failed to replace Scalia. Still a great feat to be part of a monumental piece of women's rights which held for half a century, and still has a strong majority of public support.

• Hook 'Em 3