A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 11:19 PM, tx 3 putt said:

I've no words. I'll use two movie sequences instead:

The Wall

image.png.93ab124c091e0f4c632190852cd257a2.png

(Visual clue as to vid below)

The Joel Grey insertion at the end still gives me goosebumps. I can't believe that I had to get into my 30s before I appreciated Cabaret. Fosse knew the world well.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I've no words. I'll use two movie sequences instead:

The Wall

image.png.93ab124c091e0f4c632190852cd257a2.png

(Visual clue as to vid below)

The Joel Grey insertion at the end still gives me goosebumps. I can't believe that I had to get into my 30s before I appreciated Cabaret. Fosse knew the world well.

Haven’t seen cabaret but watched the video and was interested in the context, so read some plot on its wiki page. Where I found this:

Fosse, who was hired to direct the film version because Hal Prince was unavailable, wanted to recast the MC role, but the studio insisted on Grey. Fosse backed down on his “It’s either me or Joel” threat, but relations between them were cool.[10]

sometimes greatness is the result of happy accidents or forced circumstances.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Haven’t seen cabaret but watched the video and was interested in the context, so read some plot on its wiki page. Where I found this:

Fosse, who was hired to direct the film version because Hal Prince was unavailable, wanted to recast the MC role, but the studio insisted on Grey. Fosse backed down on his “It’s either me or Joel” threat, but relations between them were cool.[10]

sometimes greatness is the result of happy accidents or forced circumstances.  

The movie is elite. All of Fosse's productions have conflicts like that. The outcome always carries his stamp and world view. And, as you likely know, collaboration on something big is a bloody sometimes hateful process. We'll never know how another emcee would be, but it's hard to imagine any actor ever who could have matched let alone surpassed Joel Grey.

I was put off by the Bohemian lifestyles of the lead characters when I was closer to being a suburban boy than a more mature viewer. It fits these times, those times, and all times due to Fosse's vision of how people work. Only a handful of directors achieve that, IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So CSB or not so cool.  One of my clients is a huge Trumper.  Like did New Years at Mar a lago and was showing me pictures of his family with Trumps family.  He told us how he was playing golf at Trump National and was in the group behind Donald Trump.  My client tells us the whole round Trump's forecaddies would drop his ball right in the middle of the fairway like 30 yards farther than what he actually hit or drop a ball in the fairway even when Trump hit a shitty shot into the rough or out of bounds.  He said he was talking to his forecaddie and the guy said all of the caddies know that when they caddy for Trump they have to carry extra balls in their pockets to place on the fairway in case he hits one in the rough and Trump acts like he actually hit it where they drop it.   The frustrating part is the guy telling me this just laughs about it as "isn't Trump a funny guy" where I look at it like "what a fucking cheater Trump is".    

Right in time with the strange line of questioning of Stormy where Necheles was trying to get Stormy to testify that Trump was a great golfer.  Then he comes out in is Friday departure comments going on about how Biden sucks at golf, can't hit it 100 yards, how his (Trump's) body is god-like and Biden is scrawny.  Such a insecure little weasel TFG is.  And it's all shit that intelligent people see through with no trouble.  

• Haha 1

Obamagate y’all

I had forgotten about that, and never would have thought about it again. That time a US president accused his predecessor of committing the worst crimes in history, but refused to say what they were. Because that was just a day ending in Y with President Dotard.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So CSB or not so cool.  One of my clients is a huge Trumper.  Like did New Years at Mar a lago and was showing me pictures of his family with Trumps family.  He told us how he was playing golf at Trump National and was in the group behind Donald Trump.  My client tells us the whole round Trump's forecaddies would drop his ball right in the middle of the fairway like 30 yards farther than what he actually hit or drop a ball in the fairway even when Trump hit a shitty shot into the rough or out of bounds.  He said he was talking to his forecaddie and the guy said all of the caddies know that when they caddy for Trump they have to carry extra balls in their pockets to place on the fairway in case he hits one in the rough and Trump acts like he actually hit it where they drop it.   The frustrating part is the guy telling me this just laughs about it as "isn't Trump a funny guy" where I look at it like "what a fucking cheater Trump is".    

Sounds exactly like someone Jack Nicklaus would support back in his tour playing career.

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Trump is such a fucking moron. He used to boast about Operation Warp Speed and how he was responsible for bringing out Covid vaccines in record time.

I still bring it up to MAGA relatives and that I appreciate and applaud the fact that Trump worked so hard to get COVID vaccines out to everybody.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I still bring it up to MAGA relatives and that I appreciate and applaud the fact that Trump worked so hard to get COVID vaccines out to everybody.  

I also add that I didn’t think it was fair Trump made taking the vaccine mandatory just to see the hamster in their head spin its wheel at warp speed.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, safe sex said:

Fosse is one of the great American artists.

While I love dramatic theatrical productions, musicals have never been my thing.  I know some people deal with challenges in life by breaking out into a dance number.  Doesn't work for me, but it can work the Jets, Sharks, and certain vilified immigrants of the band "Menudo", I'm willing to live and let live.  But for the rest of my life, this is what I think of when I think of Bob Fosse: 

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I'm shocked ---- shocked, I say ---- that Donald Trump took an improper 100 million dollar tax write-off!

I'm a little disappointed that @Biff Tannen hasn't been along yet with the "Write-off" .gif from Seinfeld.  This forum used to mean something, dammit!  

On the way one hand, I like that Trump is finally being called to task on his decades of fraud.  On the other hand, it's playing into his narrative given the chronology of "I'm being politically persecuted so close to Election Day!"  Once again to berate the point, there is some sweet spot where you'll have people think "You know what, I didn't want to go for this guy a third time and I would never vote for Biden, but I don't like the weaponization of our judicial system and the IRS to hurt this guy who I don't love anymore, but it feels like an affront to my previous choices so I'm going back to the polls!" and then the other side of that coin is, "Yeah, I pulled the lever for him.  He's admittedly a slimeball.  I don't give like Biden or RFKJR, but I just can't with this fucking Trump guy anymore.  I'm staying home."  Somewhere in there is how Biden wins this thing despite Trump's bitching and moaning.  Nobody is changing sides, nobody is turning out.  It's simply a matter of how many Trump voters in 7 states just get fed up with DJT to just not vote and then how does that offset a buncha people who like him but don't love him listening to folks like us and this evidence and these cases and taxes and think, "Fuck it, I don't want to but I'm voting for the man because I'm tired of my relatives and coworkers and the government pushing this guy around and telling me what to think!"   

This is how they got Capone.  This is how you get Trump.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

While I love dramatic theatrical productions, musicals have never been my thing.  I know some people deal with challenges in life by breaking out into a dance number. 

In Cabaret, the musical numbers happen on stage at the Cabaret bar. There is nothing unnatural as you describe from other musicals. That may not be enough to draw you, but I thought you should know.

On 5/9/2024 at 11:36 PM, Bullneck said:

HOLY SHITE WE CAN EMBED INSTA NOW. COOOL BEANS.  I'M FUCKED UP IN DRPPING SPRINGS. WHICK BTTON DO I PUSH NEXT.  POSTING IS HARD.

I'M NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT, FUCKHEADS.  I'M DRUNK

i'm telling y'all, he is legitimately obsessed with Obama. he is thinking about Obama all. the. time. that's why he is constantly confusing Obama with Biden and has all these weird anecdotes about Obama that are not only untrue, they just come out of nowhere, he legitimately fantasizes about him. more than Biden or Hillary or Stormy or anybody, Obama lives rent-free in his head constantly.

because Obama made fun of him at the WHCD.

thanks, Obama.

• Hook 'Em 6

I'm a little disappointed that [mention=1710]Biff Tannen[/mention] hasn't been along yet with the "Write-off" .gif from Seinfeld.  This forum used to mean something, dammit!  

He doesn’t even know what a write-off is!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I realize that.   Now.  Which is why I mentioned the Sharks and the Jets.  I remember I was about 6 or 7.  We had just gotten a BetaMax.  And my father would rent these old WW2 movies, and classic dramas, and some funny movies too.  And I thought it was so cool.  And my mother, being from Mexico (obviously not Puerto Rico, but in those days there wasn't much representation by Latinas in film)...she asks my Dad and I to pick up "West Side Story" from the video store, starring the great Rita Moreno.  We had just gotten home from eating in this South Side Chicago Mexican joint called "Nuevo Leon."  And my mother loved the place and knew the owners but it was kind of a shady neighborhood, and she's lecturing my sisters and I about the dangers of street gangs which were all around in those days.  So we drop everybody off on Sunday afternoon and my Dad and I head to Benny's Video to rent some movies, including "West Side Story."  And I'm still freaked out from my mother telling me in Spanish about the how the gangs will get me if I don't smarten up and be aware.  Couple hours later, we're watching a street-gang based movie about the Sharks & the Jets starring the great Rita Moreno and my mom is loving it.  My dad is bored out of his mind.  And I'm sitting there thinking "This is what Latino street gangs do?  Dance in unison to intimidate one another, what the fuck?"  Cabaret and others are historically artistic stalwarts.  But when you literally leave a gang-ridden dive joint and watch the cast of that movie just constantly dance instead of fighting, it ruins musical theater forever.  

5 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I'm shocked ---- shocked, I say ---- that Donald Trump took an improper 100 million dollar tax write-off!

Incorrect, the amount of the improper writeoff was $651 million, causing a tax decreae of $100 million.  So doing the math, Propublica is claiming Trump was in the 15% tax bracket. “He doesn’t make enough to break out of the lowest tax brackets, just like you and me!” Oh, wait a second…..

4 hours ago, mchookem said:

didn't that one cobra just win an Oscar? 😆

And that Oscar-winning star of the movie "Cobra" nominated by Norm McDonald's name?  You guessed it.  Frank Stallone.  

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I'm a little disappointed that @Biff Tannen hasn't been along yet with the "Write-off" .gif from Seinfeld.  This forum used to mean something, dammit!  

I went to a baptism this morning and then drank all day at jester king. Cut me some slack. God damn internet police. 

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I went to a baptism this morning and then drank all day at jester king. Cut me some slack. God damn internet police. 

That they let you perform the Bris after drinking all day at Jester King is somehow the least weird part of this weekend.  

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

That they let you perform the Bris after drinking all day at Jester King is somehow the least weird part of this weekend.  

Well, this isn't a baggy pants farce.  No, wait...it clearly is.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ok I actually did finally watch this one and that’s just a fascinating shift.  From Hannibal Lecter to cannibal immigrants?  Also, quite sure Sir Anthony Hopkins is still alive right?  Not “the late great” Hannibal Lecter. 

46 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ok I actually did finally watch this one and that’s just a fascinating shift.  From Hannibal Lecter to cannibal immigrants?  

All those little road side stands and food trucks in South Texas….

Kobe Bryant Yes GIF

• Haha 3

On 5/10/2024 at 8:25 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

TikTok channel that likes to point out the ridiculousness that is Trump. They first notice that Trump, outside the courtroom, this week referenced that Biden is a liar especially lying about his (Biden’s) golf game. And then it got them noticing that Trump’s lawyer asked Stormy Daniels about Trump’s golf tournament on the weekend he paid her for sex. The question being that “didn’t Trump do well in that tournament?” To which Stormy replied that she has no idea.

the presumption is that Trump made his lawyer ask that question which has zero to stroke his ego.  And this channel says that Trump finished 62nd out of 79 amateurs probably due to the fact that he couldn’t keep his own score. Averaged 89 per round.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTLVWgqSb/

• Hook 'Em 1