A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

9 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Its been 100 years since we’ve seen anything like COVID and since its plagued our world, has become a top 5 killer of our species. Since the US has a low vaccination rate, unhealthy and aging populace, and an inadequate and inequitable healthcare system, we lead the developed world in covid death rate.

Overnight we are not going to improve our population health, [snip]

Oh, I think COVID might be doing a good job of improving our population health through attrition.  You know, like cutting the bad players off a team the remaining talent it better.

13 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Its been 100 years since we’ve seen anything like COVID and since its plagued our world, has become a top 5 killer of our species. Since the US has a low vaccination rate, unhealthy and aging populace, and an inadequate and inequitable healthcare system, we lead the developed world in covid death rate.

Overnight we are not going to improve our population health, but overnight we can best fight covid transmission rate and severity by requiring vaccinations for people at their workplaces. Thus, giving more people a safe place to work. Not everyone can work remotely.

COVID warrants an extreme response when that response saves lives and helps people work and occupy space with others.

You make fair points. I had wondered if the question of mandate legality would be answered. I wanted to avoid arguing the merits of mandates in doing so. I should have phrased my question without personal opinion.  I’ll tr harder in the future.

On a regular basis, Donald Trump issues weird public statements, filled with bizarre claims and idiosyncratic capitalizations, most of which are entirely forgettable. But Sunday night, the former president went further than he probably realized, and said something — in writing — that was both new and important.

After a year in which Trump and his allies said they wanted then-Vice President Mike Pence to delay certification of the 2020 election results in order to look for evidence of imagined fraud, the former president confessed that what he actually wanted was for Pence to "overturn the election."

It was an admission that could carry political and legal consequences, which led the Republican to issue a follow-up statement yesterday, which struck a more narrowly focused note. The Washington Post reported:

Former president Donald Trump on Tuesday advocated a new focus for congressional investigators: why then-Vice President Mike Pence did not take steps on Jan. 6, 2021, to reject electoral college votes from several states won by Joe Biden.... In a fresh statement Tuesday, Trump offered a more nuanced take on what he would have liked to have seen from Pence, saying he "could have sent the votes back to various legislators for reassessment after so much fraud and irregularities were found."

By any fair measure, yesterday's statement was utterly ridiculous, even for Trump. For example, the former president used it to accuse members of the Jan. 6 committee of being, among other things, "traitors." The Republican also made up a quote and attributed it to the bipartisan House select committee, and then ironically accused them of "lying" about vice presidential powers.

But it was Trump's conclusion that stood out: "Therefore, the Unselect Committee should be investigating why ... Mike Pence did not send back the votes for recertification or approval, in that it has now been shown that he clearly had the right to do so!"

First, I get the feeling Trump doesn't know what "unselect" means, though he uses the word an awful lot.

Second, the electoral votes had already been "approved" at the state level, which is why they were sent to Congress for certification.

Third, no one has "shown" that Pence had the authority to reject election results Trump didn't like, since no such power exists.

But stepping back, the fact that Trump is badly confused about basic details is probably less interesting than the bigger picture: The former president has now publicly called for a congressional investigation into his own vice president and his decision to follow the law.

In case this isn't obvious, such an examination is extraordinarily unlikely. The committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack clearly has no interest in Trump's absurd theories, and even if House Republicans were to reclaim the majority in the fall, they probably won't see the point in launching an investigation in pursuit of a question that already has a clear answer.

So why peddle this at all? Because as a Washington Post analysis noted, Trump appeared to be trying to clean up the mess he made for himself on Sunday.

There were basically two options Trump and his allies wanted Pence to pursue: having Pence declare Trump the winner by rejecting certain states' election results, or merely having Pence declare states' results to be in dispute and sending the matter back to them. Both were drastic and undemocratic ideas predicated on bogus claims of widespread voter fraud and on the idea that the House, in which a majority of delegations are controlled by Republicans, would follow up by making Trump the winner. But the former was certainly more drastic.

On Sunday night, the former president pushed the former, saying he wanted Pence to "change the outcome" and "overturn the results." Yesterday, Trump subtly switched gears, dropping the "overturning" language, and twice pushing the alternative course.

Or put another way, he was effectively saying, "Never mind that other statement. What I actually wanted was...."

The trouble, of course, is that it's too late. Trump can't un-ring the "overturn the results" bell.

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah about him dropping the “overturn” language…

also, no press was there for pence but somehow there was a nice video available?

There will be another one tomorrow, after the adderall wears off and his handlers get hold of him.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah about him dropping the “overturn” language…

also, no press was there for pence but somehow there was a nice video available?

cnn had a correspondent who was "in the room" who did a quick segment right after they played a few minutes (live?) of pence's speech uninterrupted.

trump thinks "press" means giving a 45 minute covid press conference where you answer zero real questions.

• Hook 'Em 2

also can we talk about how bent trump is in all of this?

option 1 - trump is right that pence can overturn the election.  pence chooses not to because he knows it's wrong and that trump is a fucking criminal.

option 2 - trump is wrong that pence can overturn the election.  pence says trump is wrong, and makes it seem like that was one of the reasons he didn't do it.

does trump not realize that option 2 makes him look a lot better?  of course not.  because the baby didn't get his fucking bottle and that's all he cares about.  thus, the tantrum. 

• Hook 'Em 1

the music will be amazing.  there are live musical performances that could be considered amazing, but i'm not quite sure what he'll be spinning that would warrant that label.

"did you put that the music will be amazing?"

"no, sir, i just said it would be lots of fun."

"you should put also that the music will be amazing, because it will be amazing, that's what a lot of people are saying."

"i hate this job so much."

the music will be amazing.  there are live musical performances that could be considered amazing, but i'm not quite sure what he'll be spinning that would warrant that label.

"you should put also that the music will be amazing, because it will be amazing, that's what a lot of people are saying."
"Baron. Baron. What are the kids listening to?"
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tchookem said:
1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

"Baron. Baron. What are the kids listening to?"

BTS?  They are listening to BTS?  That's not like the BLM people is it?  Oh, that sounds like something that McDonalds sells so it must be good.

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He's a thin-skinned little bully, which means he's a thin-skinned little coward.

He won't run again if he's melting down like this now.

His entire existence is devoted to running again and bending the GQP to his will so they’ll ensure he becomes emperor whether he wins the election or not. He is Sauron and he’s not giving up before he gets his ring back. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not to derail the thread but have you seen what Bill has been up to lately?

Bill describes his singing style as “unafraid and unaware.”

And to think I actually still wonder why Bill Murray hates Groundhog Day...

I did not have D.J. D.J.T. on my 2022 bingo card.  Did anyone?

They won't associate with him because he's human garbage, but can you imagine the ex-President poker game conversations?  They go around the table and talk about what projects they're working on---human rights, housing the poor, back channel diplomacy, philanthropy, veterans, etc.  Then they get to Trump..."Oh so many fantastic thing.  Tremendous things.  I check with the front desk to see if there are any weddings that night that I can go speak at."  

Self-promoting himself on an intra-resort bulletin.  Mark my words, before the year is out...somebody will release footage of the resort's TV default channel with Donald Trump making the announcements.  "Welcome to Mar-a-Lago.  This is your favorite President, Donald Trump, inviting you to explore the many luxurious amenities here at the World Class resort.  Many fantastic surprises await you..." 

Edited by Lobo

And now they are digging up more boxes of possibly incriminating documents from Mar a Lago that should not even be there.  Holy smoke, Batman!  It is actually possible that trump is the lying piece of shit most of us suspected all along?

I love that Team Trump didn’t shred the documents, hide them in an anonymous storage facility, take them overseas, or keep them at a law office where confidentiality could be reasonably declared.  Nope morons packed it all up in a box labeled “important” and dropped it next to the mini bar at Mar-a-Lago suite.  

I love that Team Trump didn’t shred the documents, hide them in an anonymous storage facility, take them overseas, or keep them at a law office where confidentiality could be reasonably declared.  Nope morons packed it all up in a box labeled “important” and dropped it next to the mini bar at Mar-a-Lago suite.  

Wat? Link?

8 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Perhaps we should focus on how we get the former president and his minions to cease their attack on democracy, then get them to accurately acknowledge their attack on democracy, then get a good faith expression of remorse for trying to overturn a democratic election, then verify that sentiment thru amends...

Then we can consider healing. 

That's a good point.  Using Nixon as an analog, I think it was pretty clear his role in the cover up and breakin, and the burglars themselves were tried and convicted, as well as executive branch officials complicit with it.

And Nixon was done.  He wasn't threatening to run for office again, much less the presidency.  Nor was he being a complete titty baby about it, whinging incessantly about the unfairness of it all.

Before the nation needs to heal, the screeching carbuncle needs to STFU and go away.  (h/t to MaybeACoordinator).

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement