A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ivanka lied to prosecutors under oath in December 2020:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/06/ivanka-trump-dc-deposition-lies

Of course she did. By all reports she’s more like her father than any of his other kids.

There’s not a chance in hell that she doesn’t think one day she’ll be President. 

3 hours ago, Bullneck said:

The absolute abandonment of any and all personal dignity, pride, and self-respect by every single member of the GQP may be the thing I have been most surprised by.  I naively thought that most humans who had reached any level of achievement in life had at least a BASELINE level of self-respect, below which they could not go.

I was utterly and completely wrong.  There is no bottom for these people.  They would take and publish photos of them actually gobbling Trump's dick if they thought he would like that.  

It's not just that the GQP has no guiding principles.

It's not just that it has open disdain and hostility for the rule of law.

It's not just that it's led by the most loathsome public figure in modern American history.

It's that the GQP is so damned pathetic.  That's the truly amazing thing.  They are just pathetic creatures.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The absolute abandonment of any and all personal dignity, pride, and self-respect by every single member of the GQP may be the thing I have been most surprised by.  I naively thought that most humans who had reached any level of achievement in life had at least a BASELINE level of self-respect, below which they could not go.

I was utterly and completely wrong.  There is no bottom for these people.  They would take and publish photos of them actually gobbling Trump's dick if they thought he would like that.  

Was thinking about this earlier today, on some level I almost respect the commitment to absurdity. I’d expect half of these GQP people in office to have periodic public mental breakdowns just trying to keep their bullshit straight.  It’s some real Colonel Kurtz delusional energy but on a massive scale. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's not just that the GQP has no guiding principles.

It's not just that it has open disdain and hostility for the rule of law.

It's not just that it's led by the most loathsome public figure in modern American history.

It's that the GQP is so damned pathetic.  That's the truly amazing thing.  They are just pathetic creatures.

Yea, my instinct is to say that I knew it all the time. I guess my instinct is to lie. Holy shit, I'm mutating into a GQP!

I have experienced the same demoralizing surprise as you. It's difficult for me to imagine a person who stands for absolutely nothing beyond the reptilian. 

Mitt Romney and Lynn Cheney represent the baseline you allude to. Baseline. Not bar. Not hoop. Floor. I basically despise their politics, but at least they've acted in ways I associate with some sense of decency, integrity, and self-respect. They have stood.

I say I despise their politics, but on political issues there exists the possibility that I am wrong. On integrity issues, the line is bright and clear and generally agreed upon by decent, thinking people.

Someone who won't hold to that line? Some are just slimeballs, sociopaths, narcissists, and takers. An organization that abandons that line anxiously is not definable by individual pathology. They're defined by the choices they make with clear minds.

I can only think of one viable reason the GOP has completely prostrated themselves to such self-degradation and malignancy: they want to stay out of jail. They want to hide worse crimes. Thus my word of the season:

Omertà

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Yea, my instinct is to say that I knew it all the time. I guess my instinct is to lie. Holy shit, I'm mutating into a GQP!

I have experienced the same demoralizing surprise as you. It's difficult for me to imagine a person who stands for absolutely nothing beyond the reptilian. 

Mitt Romney and Lynn Cheney represent the baseline you allude to. Baseline. Not bar. Not hoop. Floor. I basically despise their politics, but at least they've acted in ways I associate with some sense of decency, integrity, and self-respect. They have stood.

I say I despise their politics, but on political issues there exists the possibility that I am wrong. On integrity issues, the line is bright and clear and generally agreed upon by decent, thinking people.

Someone who won't hold to that line? Some are just slimeballs, sociopaths, narcissists, and takers. An organization that abandons that line anxiously is not definable by individual pathology. They're defined by the choices they make with clear minds.

I can only think of one viable reason the GOP has completely prostrated themselves to such self-degradation and malignancy: they want to stay out of jail. They want to hide worse crimes. Thus my word of the season:

Omertà

Perfect.  And I bolded that particular paragraph because that's where I've been for a while.  I admire Republicans who meet that BAREST of minimums -- they have some baseline of humanity, decency, integrity, and self-respect.  Not a truckload....just an existing, measurable amount.  That's how low the bar is.

I admire Republicans who meet that BAREST of minimums -- they have some baseline of humanity, decency, integrity, and self-respect.  Not a truckload....just an existing, measurable amount.  That's how low the bar is.

However, one could argue the Romneys and Cheneys do more harm than good by giving the entire party political cover.  These people aren’t in a vacuum, they see the movement they are a part of and they choose to stay and fight on behalf of that movement. This is akin to finding some nazis that weren’t cool with killing Jews and would have taken the party in a different direction. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

However, one could argue the Romneys and Cheneys do more harm than good by giving the entire party political cover.  These people aren’t in a vacuum, they see the movement they are a part of and they choose to stay and fight on behalf of that movement. This is akin to finding some nazis that weren’t cool with killing Jews and would have taken the party in a different direction. 

Not disagreeing with the ultimate take.

Just acknowledging that at this point, the GQP has sunk so low that "has basic humanity" is an exceptional quality.

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

MLK knew

First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

MLK knew

No disagreement.

But at this point, I'm looking for pretty much one thing: "does not support violent overthrow of the Republic and replacement with an authoritarian government."

We're kind of in a war here, and I'd like to win it.  It's sort of like how I would have had no objection to buddying up with the Soviets in WWII.  They had the quality I was looking for: "want to beat the fucking nazis."

• Hook 'Em 1

I remember taking a lot of shit for applauding Jeff Flake when he’d go on the Senate floor and rhetorically reject Trumpism.  A reformed GOP was wishful thinking on my part but at least Flake had the decency to dip out. His seat is now occupied by a democrat.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Its like in the movie Conspiracy, that showcased the origins of the Final Solution, there were Nazis opposed to extermination but really articulated their need for slave labor

By the millions?  Mmmmmm, I'm guessing the stress of so many millions on our infrastructure are going to be blamed on our upcoming power grid failure.  How convenient.  

Did he really talk about the animals he named on a cognitive test during an Abbott press conference about the border?  

I mean, I'm a half Mexican, republican-in-recovery and I think border security is still an important topic, but is this what it devolved into?:

Aaron Reitz might not have the smile and panache of Ellen Troxclair, but if you watch that clip, he just gained 5 points the Texas Senate primary poll over Ellen.  What's the old saying, "80% is just showing up."  Well, showing up and taking footage of Trump's buttocks as he stumbles alongside Abbott just bought him a really tough spot to beat in the primaries.   They're actually both really nice folks who somehow got caught up in the hero worship of arguably the most disgusting American since Dahmer.  Who by the way would likely finish 2nd in the GOP Iowa Caucus next cycle.

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

MLK knew

This is why I think a lot of traditional Rs who were horrified by dotard were ok with Biden.  They think dotard was the only problem.  They will go right back to voting R in 2024 and we will be in the exact same god damn place again.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is why I think a lot of traditional Rs who were horrified by dotard were ok with Biden.  They think dotard was the only problem.  They will go right back to voting R in 2024 and we will be in the exact same god damn place again.

It’s the same reason reasonable guns control will never pass. Too many white moderates who are/know responsible gun owners. 

2 hours ago, woohorn said:
4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Love that he had to say "what's that" when he heard "cognitive test".

I'm pretty sure not knowing what a cognitive test is would be a solid display of low cognition. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, but they couldn't keep Obama out in 2008 and 2012.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, but they couldn't keep Obama out in 2008 and 2012.

You mean the guy who bailed out Wall Street, escalated the war In Afghanistan,  passed Mitt Romney’s health care plan, and did absolutely nothing about immigration?

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I know Trump has a shitload of companies, but this, if Wiki is right, is the parent company of around 500 other companies and the real estate, etc. are underneath it.  If this goes down, Trump should lose pretty much everything, right?

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I know Trump has a shitload of companies, but this, if Wiki is right, is the parent company of around 500 other companies and the real estate, etc. are underneath it.  If this goes down, Trump should lose pretty much everything, right?

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2021-06-30/what-could-happen-to-donald-trumps-company-if-its-indicted

But an indictment by a grand jury, legal experts said, would cloud Trump’s financial future, and could potentially cripple his company. 

Under New York state law, a corporation convicted of the financial charges being mulled in the Trump Organization case would face at most a $10,000-per-count penalty and an order to pay restitution. New York state prosecutors do not have the power, unlike those in some other states, to ask a judge to dissolve a company.

Such an outcome may not seem particularly dire, but legal and business experts said the Trump Organization is likely to face serious “collateral consequences” that could ruin the company. That’s because other businesses, banks and municipalities are leery — or precluded by internal rules, laws or regulations — from engaging with entities accused of such offenses. Banks, in particular, are hesitant to lend money to those facing such accusations, legal and business experts said, because there is a strong chance they will never recover their money.

The Trump Organization, if indicted, could find itself without a place to put its assets and without a source of capital,” said Daniel Horwitz, a defense attorney who is a former Manhattan prosecutor. “If you are a bank, are you going to lend money to a company accused of a financial crime? If you are another company, would you do business with another that has been indicted? The answer is frequently no.”

Spoiler

orwitz and other legal experts said a conviction would trigger a further series of challenges for the Trump Organization because businesses, banks and governments face stricter rules in that scenario. For example, a range of financing strategies popular with private companies are off-limits by the Securities and Exchange Commission to “bad actors,” including those convicted of financial crimes, according to Will Thomas, an assistant professor of business and law at the University of Michigan.

Analogous cases are hard to come by, but Thomas and others pointed to the saga of Arthur Andersen as an example of how such collateral consequences can doom a company. The Big Five accounting firm was convicted in federal court in 2002 of obstructing justice tied to its work for Enron, an energy giant accused of engaging in massive accounting fraud. 

The firm vigorously appealed the verdict and won its case in the Supreme Court in 2005. But by then it was too late. The conviction had forced the firm to surrender its accounting license because federal regulations do not allow people or entities convicted of felonies to audit publicly traded companies. Arthur Andersen struggled to drum up any new business. By the time it won its appeal, the once-proud firm was essentially dead, with only about 200 employees out of nearly 30,000 who had once been on its payroll.

While unlike Arthur Andersen — the Trump Organization is not publicly held — an indictment would come at a time when its businesses are already struggling. The pandemic starved Trump’s hotels of traveling customers, his golf courses are losing money, and his extremist politics have turned off potential partners. Lucrative licensing and entertainment deals such as “The Apprentice,” the reality show that made him a television star, have withered or ended altogether.

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement