A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

Reagan is more responsible for that than Nixon. Nixon coined the term “War on Drugs.” He moved marijuana to Schedule I to fuck with the hippies protesting against the war in Vietnam. But it was Reagan who invested huge amounts of money into it and decided to treat it like an actual war. 

Then there's the actual war Richard Nixon became responsible for in 1969.

• Hook 'Em 4

Reagan is more responsible for that than Nixon. Nixon coined the term “War on Drugs.” He moved marijuana to Schedule I to fuck with the hippies protesting against the war in Vietnam. But it was Reagan who invested huge amounts of money into it and decided to treat it like an actual war. 

I know. I said as much. But Nixon is still the father of that war. And the marijuana move was not just for fucking with hippies. Big effect on the black communities.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Legal expert dude on Maddow last night was saying with a straight face that it would be in Dotard's best interest to show himself as a calming presence. Say things like "I trust the legal process and I trust the judge and jury". It made me laugh because he is literally not capable of something so simple. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

image.jpeg.ff0580f575f5c32bae072a123981022c.jpeg

Ever tried to make a list of every negative word or expression that can be accurately used to describe Trump? It’s a daunting task. There aren’t enough hours in the day. He has no redeeming qualities. Just about every bad thing you can say about a person you can say about Trump. It’s easier to come up with a list of negative things that don’t apply to him. He’s not a cannibal. He hasn’t raped a man. Can we really say he hasn’t murdered anyone? Lying to the public about Covid and not responding to the threat certainly cost a lot of people their lives. He’s responsible for a lot of deaths that could’ve been avoided. He may as well be a murderer. He’s bragged that he could commit murder and he wouldn’t lose any support. And he’s right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ever tried to make a list of every negative word or expression that can be accurately used to describe Trump? It’s a daunting task. There aren’t enough hours in the day. He has no redeeming qualities. Just about every bad thing you can say about a person you can say about Trump. It’s easier to come up with a list of negative things that don’t apply to him. He’s not a cannibal. He hasn’t raped a man. Can we really say he hasn’t murdered anyone? Lying to the public about Covid and not responding to the threat certainly cost a lot of people their lives. He’s responsible for a lot of deaths that could’ve been avoided. He may as well be a murderer. He’s bragged that he could commit murder and he wouldn’t lose any support. And he’s right. 

The standard response to the "say something good about your opponent" deal has always been "he's a good parent to his kids" or "he's a good husband". 0 for 2 there. 

15 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Then there's the actual war Richard Nixon became responsible for in 1969.

Yeah, that war was the biggest mistake by a Democrat in recent memory. LBJ did a lot of good things but that was one colossal fuckup. At least he had the decency to walk away from the presidency because of it. And Nixon took it over, expanded it, and made it his own. He fucked it up even worse while promising during his campaign that he would end the war...TWICE.

But Nixon still respected science and the environment. He created the EPA and passed clean air and water acts. He ran a secular administration that wasn’t a home for religious nutjobs. He was a racist and a bigot and a megalomaniac and a crook. He cheated to gain and maintain power but not to enrich himself. He didn’t cut taxes on the rich at the expense of the middle class. And he didn’t have a cult to support him. He at least had respect for the office and the policy making process. Even that numbskull George W. Bush had that. Trump thinks he’s bigger than the office and has no clue about either policy or process. He thinks he’s a king.

We can say a whole lot of bad things about the Republican presidents from Nixon to Bush (43). Take every bad thing about all of them, add them together, turn them up to 11, and you get Donald Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The War on Drugs, which has mostly been escalated by every administration since, has proven in retrospect to be a horrible, horrible mistake, but was not a completely irrational decision at the time.

Irrational? No. Racist as fuck? Yes. We know this because Ehrlichman and others told us so, after the fact.

Edited by Rimbo
wrong guy
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Legal expert dude on Maddow last night was saying with a straight face that it would be in Dotard's best interest to show himself as a calming presence. Say things like "I trust the legal process and I trust the judge and jury". It made me laugh because he is literally not capable of something so simple. 

That's pretty much what anyone other than Donald J. Trump would do.  "I'm innocent of these charges, I think they're poitically motivated, and I look forward to my day in court to prove my innocence."

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And white people have the nerve to complain about critical race theory.

Seriously.

At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. “You want to know what this was really all about?” he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. “The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

https://harpers.org/archive/2016/04/legalize-it-all/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 6

35 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

He did one good thing.  He pardoned Jack Johnson.  That’s the entire list of good things he has done.

That was a good thing. Kudos to Sylvester Stallone for getting Trump to pardon someone he’d never heard of before. I don’t know why Obama didn’t do it. I’ll bet the fact that Obama didn’t do it probably had something to do with why Trump did it. It should’ve been done long ago.

And though it was largely symbolic, it wasn’t without meaning. It meant something to Jack’s family. It righted a wrong. It didn’t stop Trump from saying racist things about the black politicians who opposed him. It didn’t stop him from referring to countries populated by black and brown people as “shitholes.” It didn’t stop him from referring to Alvin Bragg as an “animal.” I suppose we could debate whether it would have done more good for Trump to have apologized to the Central Park Five for calling for their execution after they were found innocent. He never admitted he was wrong even after the actual perpetrator admitted his guilt. Nope, he insisted he was still right to call for the execution of five innocent men. Trump is a racist and a bigot. But you’re correct, accidentally doing what was right and pardoning Jack Johnson was a good thing.

Btw, this is a great album:

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That was a good thing. Kudos to Sylvester Stallone for getting Trump to pardon someone he’d never heard of before. I don’t know why Obama didn’t do it. I’ll bet the fact that Obama didn’t do it probably had something to do with why Trump did it. It should’ve been done long ago.

And though it was largely symbolic, it wasn’t without meaning. It meant something to Jack’s family. It righted a wrong. It didn’t stop Trump from saying racist things about the black politicians who opposed him. It didn’t stop him from referring to countries populated by black and brown people as “shitholes.” It didn’t stop him from referring to Alvin Bragg as an “animal.” I suppose we could debate whether it would have done more good for Trump to have apologized to the Central Park Five for calling for their execution after they were found innocent. He never admitted he was wrong even after the actual perpetrator admitted his guilt. Nope, he insisted he was still right to call for the execution of five innocent men. Trump is a racist and a bigot. But you’re correct, accidentally doing what was right and pardoning Jack Johnson was a good thing.

Btw, this is a great album:

The only reason I remember that he pardoned him is because it was so out of character.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

The standard response to the "say something good about your opponent" deal has always been "he's a good parent to his kids" or "he's a good husband". 0 for 2 there. 

Didn't killary say something to the effect that he raised impressive kids, when the moderator asked her to say something nice about the only ex-president to ever be indicated?

This tweet got me thinking. Trump has been a publicly known scumbag for nearly 50 years and has always gotten away with it. I went to the Times Machine to read the actual article (copy/pasted below). Without knowing the date, I flipped through each front page of that month to find it and that was a consequential month in history with the Yom Kippur War breaking out and Spiro Agnew resigning being the highlights of just the first two weeks of that month. Anyway, I know I'm rambling but it really goes to show that this motherfucker has evaded justice for a really, really long time.

image.png.58fc9d3e513f8cffc802f1b1425ebc20.png

Major Landlord Accused Of Antiblack Bias in City
By Morris Kaplan
Oct. 16, 1973

The Department of Justice, charging discrimination against blacks in apartment rentals, brought suit in Federal Court in Brooklyn yesterday against the Trump Management Corporation, a major owner and manager of real estate here.

The corporation, which owns and rents more than 14,000 apartments in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island, was accused of violating the Fair Housing Act of 1968 in its operation of 39 buildings. Most are in Coney Island, Brooklyn, and in Jamaica Estates and Forest Hills, Queens.

Seeking an injunction to halt alleged discriminatory practises, the Government contended that Trump Management had refused to rent or negotiate rentals “because of race and color.” It also charged that the company had required different rental terms and conditions because of race and that it had misrepresented to blacks that apartments were not available.

At the corporation's main office, 600 Avenue Z in Brooklyn, Donald Trump, president, denied the charges.

“They are absolutely ridiculous,” he said. “We never have discriminated, and we never would. There have been a number of local actions against us, and we've won them all. We were charged with discrimination, and we proved in court that we did not discriminate.”

Mr. Trump and his father, Fred C. Trump, the principal stockholder and corporate board chairman, were also named as defendants. They are required to respond to the complaint within 20 days. The Trump family has been in the real‐estate business for more than 40 years.

In Washington, J. Stanley Pottinger, assistant attorney general in charge of the Justice Department's civil‐rights division, termed the suit the second major rental discrimination action begun by the department in the last two years.

The first involved Samuel J. Lofrak, one of the country's largest builders. The Justice Department had charged racial discrimination in the renting of 21,000 Lefrak‐controlled apartments in 150 buildings in Brooklyn and Queens.

Agreement With Lefrak

That case was resolved on Jan. 28, 1971, in an agreement between the Justice Department and the Lefrak Organization. Lefrak promised to prohibit discrimination in apartment rentals, and subsequently fifty black families were assisted in moving into predominantly white buildings.

The New York Urban League, whose Operation Open City had filed complaints against the Lefrak Organization, called the agreement “a great disappointment” to numerous other blacks and Puerto Ricans “who for years have been denied an equal chance at Lefrak”s housing units.” Occupancy by blacks and Puerto Ricans has risen “substantially” at Lefrak buildings since then, according to Mr. Pottinger.

He said the Trump case had been referred to the Justice Department by the New York City Commission on Human Rights and was based, in part, on allegations made by Operation Open City. Specific violations were not mentioned in the complaint.

The average monthly rental for a one‐bedroom apartment in the Trump “villages” is about $250, according to the younger Trump. A two‐bedroom rental is about $290.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The only reason I remember that he pardoned him is because it was so out of character.

He went through a burst of criminal justice "lenity" with Kim Kardashian and Kush as the drivers.  He pardoned several people and forced McConnell to calendar the First Step Act.  He was sold on it because it would help him with teh bleks.

He was later heard to complain to Kushner that teh bleks still hated him and he wished he hadn't done any of it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

This tweet got me thinking. Trump has been a publicly known scumbag for nearly 50 years and has always gotten away with it. I went to the Times Machine to read the actual article (copy/pasted below). Without knowing the date, I flipped through each front page of that month to find it and that was a consequential month in history with the Yom Kippur War breaking out and Spiro Agnew resigning being the highlights of just the first two weeks of that month. Anyway, I know I'm rambling but it really goes to show that this motherfucker has evaded justice for a really, really long time.

In January of that year, Joe Biden began his service as a U.S. Senator and he’s been serving his country ever since.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Trump/Nixon’s Ghost 2024

”Make America………awwww fuck it let’s do CRIMESSSSSSSSSSS!”

Nixon and Reagan were shitty people, but there were a few times in their lives and presidencies where you thought "they care about America, even if they shit all over certain groups of people".

Not so with the Trumps.

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

Why are we spending so much money to arm a foreign country in a land dispute????

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 3:43 PM, YGIFS said:

100,000 dead from drag show?  Wow.  We should do something about that.  

I mean if that's just from drag shows, how many die at shows/movies/concerts/theaters overall?  Say 1 in 100 performances nationwide is a drag show, that means we're losing 10mm people overall just from the performing arts?  Somebody has got to put a stop to this.  Our entire population will be completely gone by the time "Top Gun Maverick: The Musical" is off Broadway.  

Til that Rupaul is a serial killer.

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

The Times Machine is one of the most underrated things in America

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/31/2023 at 7:17 AM, TwiceHorn said:

The War on Drugs, which has mostly been escalated by every administration since, has proven in retrospect to be a horrible, horrible mistake, but was not a completely irrational decision at the time.  That it was at least partially racially motivated doesn't completely change that.

Prohibition has never worked. Yes, it was irrational and almost entirely racially motivated as the arrest records indicate.

Nixon was a better policymaker than Trump, but the War on Drugs "policy" was always bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Prohibition has never worked. Yes, it was irrational and almost entirely racially motivated as the arrest records indicate.

Nixon was a better policymaker than Trump, but the War on Drugs "policy" was always bullshit.

All more or less true, particularly in hindsight, but prohibition has been the dominant reaction to drugs world wide,in all sorts of cultures. 

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

All more or less true, particularly in hindsight, but prohibition has been the dominant reaction to drugs world wide,in all sorts of cultures. 

Which further shows it's irrationality, as it never works and everybody knows it.

• Like 1

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Prohibition works on plenty of things, but it doesn’t work on things the population isn’t really convinced are that harmful or worthy of prohibiting.  I know some people are for legalizing everything, but for the most part the debate is over legalizing marijuana.  I don’t think there is widespread outrage over meth being prohibited.

Yet it doesn't decrease meth demand, only increases the price, making it more lucrative for suppliers to meet demand.

Most people don't avoid meth because meth is illegal. They avoid it because it eventually destroys your life (at worst) and teeth (at best).

• Hook 'Em 1

Prohibition works on plenty of things, but it doesn’t work on things the population isn’t really convinced are that harmful or worthy of prohibiting.  I know some people are for legalizing everything, but for the most part the debate is over legalizing marijuana.  I don’t think there is widespread outrage over meth being prohibited.

Correct, for the most part. All drugs should be decriminalized and treated in the health/mental health area. Certain drugs should be legal, such as marijuana and certain hallucinogens.

Production and trafficking of drugs such as meth and opioids should have strict laws. But not the use (exception being DUI, etc).

Because 50 years of failed policy, wasted billions and billions of dollars, broken homes, destabilized countries sure seems to work.

This doesn’t have to be difficult.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Tobacco is worse for people than plenty of illegal drugs, and there are way more smokers than people doing cocaine or whatever.  Plenty of people avoid things because it’s illegal, or can’t get it because it’s illegal.  

The war on drugs hasn’t been good and throwing tons of people in hardcore prisons for being drug addicted without other crimes has been a huge mess, but the ultra libertarian / cynical view that we should legalize everything is also a bad idea.

Prohibit cigs and watch what happens.

I'm not suggesting legalizing everything is the answer. I'm stating that history ha sproven prohibition does not stem demand and enriches suppliers (and law enforcement) and is irrational from a policy standpoint. Unfortunately it's the only thing we know how to do because it's the only thing we try.

• Like 1

You obviously don’t live in East Texas.
  • Like 1

Prohibition works to support the LEO/Incarceration industrial complex. Period.

And to allow for disproportionate enforcement to criminalize a much higher percentage of minority drug users than white drug users. Remember, a black high school student caught with weed is a “thug” and part of “a bad element” and catches a criminal charge, while a white high school student caught with weed is “a good kid from a good family who deserves a second chance” and the cops call his parents to come get him. Yes, I generalize…but you also know I’m right.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

“Your honor, as I approached the vehicle I smelled an odor I believed to be marijuana.”

You mean “that my years of training and experience told me was the distinct odor of marijuana.”
A “smell” that they use to search vehicles driven by minorities at 5X the rate of cars driven by white people.
It’s truly the easiest way to tell the MAGAs are full of shit…when they start hammering about freedom this and liberty that, but they’re all for cops busting “thugs with their drugs.” They want the old saw: laws that protect them but do not bind them, and laws that bind but do not protect people who, uhh, aren’t “real” Americans.
None of this is complicated. None of it.
  • Like 1

And to allow for disproportionate enforcement to criminalize a much higher percentage of minority drug users than white drug users. Remember, a black high school student caught with weed is a “thug” and part of “a bad element” and catches a criminal charge, while a white high school student caught with weed is “a good kid from a good family who deserves a second chance” and the cops call his parents to come get him. Yes, I generalize…but you also know I’m right.

Drunk black or Hispanic guy - cops arrest him and he gets chronically screwed by the system.

Drunk me - the cops drop me off at the Marriott and tell me to just sleep it off. And as I’m getting out of the police cruiser I joke about my lifetime platinum status.

Happened at least a half dozen times when I lived in San Antonio prior to my sobriety.

And when I finally forced the issue by trying to fight a cop, and ended up with some slight consequences, I was the only white dude in a suit taking piss tests for the Bexar Co. probation office. La eMe cocked their heads and looked at me like WTF, ese?

2004 wasn’t my best year.